Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Pandemonium

Re: Movies

#41 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:12 pm

creep wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:
Larry B. wrote:Image
The guy 3rd from the right looks like a messed up clone of David Duchovny.
"the guy". are you really trying to pretend that you are that cool and has never seen friends?
I had no idea that was the cast of Friends. I do recognize Aniston but no, I've never watched Friends. I sure can't brag about being "cool" when I have every season of X-Files, Star Trek Next Generation and Seinfeld on dvd. That was pretty much the extent of the tv series I watched from the late 80's through the mid 90's.

SR

#42 Post by SR » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:19 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
SR wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:I am just finishing "God Bless America" (thanks to ES for posting the video on FB). Holy shit. :neutral:

Possibly the best dark comedic satire done since Network (maybe even better than Network). It felt Jonathan Swift could've written it. Simultaneously horrible and empathetic -- alienating. I said possibly, because maybe I read into it more than is there... Goldthwait seems to think he was saying something important.

... Not easy to watch.

He explains himself here: http://current.com/shows/the-young-turk ... agree-with
At one point he says: "You know, I'm not asking people to eat Irish children, you know, that's the point..." :rockon:
I didn't see the film there, but then again I can't find ES's page anymore. :cona:
http://current.com/shows/the-young-turk ... agree-with
Good interview. I thought the film was there.

Hype

#43 Post by Hype » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:20 pm

Oh, no... the film is... elsewhere.

SR

#44 Post by SR » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:23 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:Oh, no... the film is... elsewhere.
:lol: Yes, it is.

Jasper

#45 Post by Jasper » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:32 pm

I saw exactly one episode of Friends, and that was all I needed to confirm that it was a vile piece of garbage targeted at cubical-dwelling drones.

Hype was pretty young at the time, so maybe we can overlook the fact that he dearly loves the show (and Bush), but old man creep has no such excuse for counting Friends as his all-time favorite.

creep
Site Admin

#46 Post by creep » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:42 pm

Jasper wrote:I saw exactly one episode of Friends, and that was all I needed to confirm that it was a vile piece of garbage targeted at cubical-dwelling drones.

Hype was pretty young at the time, so maybe we can overlook the fact that he dearly loves the show (and Bush), but old man creep has no such excuse for counting Friends as his all-time favorite.
i admit to liking a lot of bad television but i never liked friends. i have probably seen most episodes though since it is always on. :noclue:

dali

#47 Post by dali » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:54 pm

The other night was friday the 13th so some channel was showing the poltergeist movies.

I actually liked Poltergeist 1 when I saw it as a kid and liked it today also.

Larry B.

#48 Post by Larry B. » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:16 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:I am just finishing "God Bless America" (thanks to ES for posting the video on FB). Holy shit. :neutral:

Possibly the best dark comedic satire done since Network (maybe even better than Network). It felt Jonathan Swift could've written it. Simultaneously horrible and empathetic -- alienating. I said possibly, because maybe I read into it more than is there... Goldthwait seems to think he was saying something important.

... Not easy to watch.

He explains himself here: http://current.com/shows/the-young-turk ... agree-with
At one point he says: "You know, I'm not asking people to eat Irish children, you know, that's the point..." :rockon:
Just saw it. Surprisingly good and entertaining. I thought the script was too 'play-like' and lacked something more filmish, but it was consistent throughout the movie. The girl's character (or portrayal, not too sure) was too cartoonish for my taste and she lacks acting skills. There were some very good moments. The part that I didn't like happened near the ending, but I'm not going to comment on it to avoid any spoilers.

I'd recommend it.

perkana

#49 Post by perkana » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:26 am

Well, I did see friends but my favorite tv show was My So Called Life (I even e-mailed the network president -was it NBC or ABC?, don't remember- about not cancelling it). I saw months ago Freaks and Geeks.
About movies, has anyone seen American Pie Reunion? is it worth going to the movies to see it?

Hype

#50 Post by Hype » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:31 am

Larry B. wrote:

... Not easy to watch.

Just saw it. Surprisingly good and entertaining. I thought the script was too 'play-like' and lacked something more filmish, but it was consistent throughout the movie. The girl's character (or portrayal, not too sure) was too cartoonish for my taste and she lacks acting skills. There were some very good moments. The part that I didn't like happened near the ending, but I'm not going to comment on it to avoid any spoilers.

I'd recommend it.
Dude... the girl was supposed to be like that. It's not a drama. It's a black comedy, and those elements are probably Brechtian. It would be bad if people actually identified with those characters.

Larry B.

#51 Post by Larry B. » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:36 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
Larry B. wrote:

... Not easy to watch.

I'd recommend it.
Dude... the girl was supposed to be like that. It's not a drama. It's a black comedy, and those elements are probably Brechtian. It would be bad if people actually identified with those characters.
You're right... perhaps that cartoonish taste I describe has to do with the theater quality I thought this movie had.

SR

#52 Post by SR » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:37 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
Larry B. wrote:

... Not easy to watch.

I'd recommend it.
I was hoping for a more Pirandellian effect. :lostit:

mockbee

#53 Post by mockbee » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:51 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
Brecht created an influential theory of theatre, the epic theatre, wherein a play should not cause the spectator to emotionally identify with the action before him or her, but should instead provoke rational self-reflection and a critical view of the actions on the stage.

For this purpose, Brecht employed the use of techniques that remind the spectator that the play is a representation of reality and not reality itself [...]. Such techniques included the direct address by actors to the audience, exaggerated, unnatural stage lighting, the use of song, and explanatory placards.
Hmmmm............ i love this place.

Hype

#54 Post by Hype » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:25 am

mockbee wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:
Brecht created an influential theory of theatre, the epic theatre, wherein a play should not cause the spectator to emotionally identify with the action before him or her, but should instead provoke rational self-reflection and a critical view of the actions on the stage.

For this purpose, Brecht employed the use of techniques that remind the spectator that the play is a representation of reality and not reality itself [...]. Such techniques included the direct address by actors to the audience, exaggerated, unnatural stage lighting, the use of song, and explanatory placards.
Hmmmm............ i love this place.
If you've seen Monty Python, you've seen an example of epic theatre. Alabama Song (Whisky Bar), made famous by Jim Morrison, is originally from a Brecht/Weill Opera -- the Rise and Fall of the City of Mahagonny. It was supposed to be sung not by trained opera singers, but by actresses who couldn't really sing (heightens the alienation effect).

The song Mack The Knife is also from Brecht/Weill (Mackie der Messer).

The notion of "breaking the 4th wall" in television, film, etc., came from Brecht as well.

Re SR's invoking of Pirandello, there may be some of that... in that I think one of the things you're supposed to take from it in the end is something like "Live and let live" (ironically). It's absurd because there's nothing we can really do, nor should do, as individuals, to "fix the world", as it were.

mockbee

#55 Post by mockbee » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:54 am

I am well aware of the practice and context of "breaking the 4th wall" just never realized it was from Brecht's work. :bday:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#56 Post by Hokahey » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:56 am

dali wrote:The other night was friday the 13th so some channel was showing the poltergeist movies.

I actually liked Poltergeist 1 when I saw it as a kid and liked it today also.

Such an amazing movie, although it almost ruined my childhood. The clown under the bed was too much for my 5 year old brain to handle. Stupid parents letting me watch that.

Larry B.

#57 Post by Larry B. » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:59 am

I tried watching it recently and it was a huge disappointment. I found nothing good about it.

Hype

#58 Post by Hype » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:37 am

mockbee wrote:I am well aware of the practice and context of "breaking the 4th wall" just never realized it was from Brecht's work. :bday:

This knowledge of, and love for, Brecht is one of the few valuable things I got out of a degree in German. :lol:

perkana

#59 Post by perkana » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:38 am

It was very scary for me, I always heard the story about the clown and I was scared about them for a long time, even without having watched the movie. It was pretty good when it came out, when I watched it later of course I found the special effects kinda lame, but it is stil a favorite of mine.

Pandemonium

#60 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:12 am

perkana wrote:It was very scary for me, I always heard the story about the clown and I was scared about them for a long time, even without having watched the movie. It was pretty good when it came out, when I watched it later of course I found the special effects kinda lame, but it is stil a favorite of mine.
It's a perfectly serviceable thriller. I remember seeing it at the now long-gone Cinedome in Orange on opening weekend. Jammed packed Saturday night showing and everyone was into it. Didn't really think it was scarey, although a couple moments were pretty cool (the "steak" scene). '81 was a good time for mainstream horror flicks with movies like Cat People, The Thing, Creepshow and Poltergeist among others.

perkana

#61 Post by perkana » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:18 am

Have you seen Dark Shadows trailer? I think I'm going to see this one. Again Depp and Bonham Carter seem to steal the movie. It will be something new for me since I've never seen the show it was based on.

Oh yeah, Johnny Lee Miller :boobs: :lol:

Pandemonium

#62 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:41 am

perkana wrote:Have you seen Dark Shadows trailer? I think I'm going to see this one. Again Depp and Bonham Carter seem to steal the movie. It will be something new for me since I've never seen the show it was based on.

Oh yeah, Johnny Lee Miller :boobs: :lol:
I like Depp, I like Burton and I'm ancient enough to actually remember watching the original Dark Shadows soap opera after school in the 60's and this looks really terrible. This kind of comedic take worked for the two Addams Family movies because.. well, that show originally was a comedy. Not so much for this one.

The original soap opera was (like all soap operas) unbearably slow but it was fairly serious in tone and the lead actor who played the Vampire Barnabas Collins was really good. After the soap was cancelled, they did a theatrical movie with the original cast which successfully telescoped the main plot into 2 hours and added R rated gore which while very dated and reeks of made-for-tv cheapness, is still worth checking out if you can find it (it was never released on dvd).

BTW, still love the old theme song:

dali

#63 Post by dali » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:55 am

Pandemonium wrote:
"Quentin's Theme" WTF, that dude on the right LOOKS like Quentin Tarantino. Eerie

mothra665

#64 Post by mothra665 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:06 pm

[Hit So Hard]
A documentary that follows Hole drummer Patty Schemel ups & downs with, you guessed it...Addiction.
The only place i was able to view it was [walmart on demand] :noclue:

For Nirvana & Hole listeners it was "ok" :thumb:

SR

#65 Post by SR » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:27 pm

I like Hole. This doc looks disjointed.