Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Pandemonium

Re: Movies

#151 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:20 pm

creep wrote:
Jasper wrote:
chaos wrote:I am going to see Prometheus tomorrow too.

@Jasper - did you see it in 3D? I have never seen a movie in the theaters in 3D. Would I regret not doing so?
No, I didn't exactly see it through traditional means.

I can't remember the last time I saw a 3D movie in the theater. There were a few when I was a kid. Last one was probably that Michael Jackson one at Epcot.

Personally, I don't want to wear those glasses and shit, but I'm sure it would be kind of neat seeing this in 3D.
i never plan on seeing a 3d movie. i don't feel the need for it.
I've seen a number of movies in 3D and yeah, for the most part it's just not worth it. Especially a lot of movies that have come out in the last 5 years that have been converted to 3D in post-production - not actually filmed in 3D. Still, I think Avatar was pretty remarkable in 3D, it certainly made the movie better than it actually was. And I was blown away by how amazing U23D looked and sounded on an IMAX 3D screen. But the big problem with almost all newer 3D movies is that they are significantly darker than their 2D counterparts mostly because of the glasses. But my son really digs seeing movies in 3D so just about everything I take him to, it's gotta be 3D so for example I had to see Star Wars EP1 recently in 3D. Jar Jar in 3D... ugh. Plus, he's bugging me about getting a 3D Plasma... LOL, I still stubbornly stick to my giant 300lb CRT 40" tvs because they actually have superior overall video quality to any Plasma, LCD, etc.

nausearockpig

#152 Post by nausearockpig » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:52 pm

Does Prometheus have a lot of dark scenes? 3D would be super shitty in dark scenes.

leviticus

#153 Post by leviticus » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:17 am

my short review of Prometheus from Rotten Tomatoes:

"A big, beautiful, overreaching, portentous, wildly ambitious, uneven, stick with you rendition of "Planet of Vampires" or some other schlocky B grade Science Fiction. It sweeps you into it's world and propels you along with equal doses of terror and wonder."

nausearockpig

#154 Post by nausearockpig » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:29 am

The 3D looks cool in places, but it's just a gimmick that in some movies is used in place of story, which should be a no-no. When a piece of shrapanel goes zipping past you, it's pretty sweet. You sort of forget it's there till u take the glasses off then put them back on. It's really evident then you forget again till the action happens again. The darkness factor is annoying though. I won't see batman or prom in 3D.

perkana

#155 Post by perkana » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:32 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:Yeah, I don't get nor am I interested in 3-D.
:pat:
Some are great watching in 3D, especially animated films

creep
Site Admin

#156 Post by creep » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:16 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:Almost all of Ridley Scott's movies have been hammered to various degrees when they were first released. I remember when Blade Runner first came out, a lot of reviewers basically appreciated the visual design of the film but ridiculed the story. Even Alien was called a rip-off bordering on plagiarism of several 50's sci-fi horror movies. The thing is, his movies have almost endless rewatchability potential. There's always something to be picked up and appreciated in later viewings. His movies seem to outlast the criticism and settle on classic status years and decades later.
Amen.

I'm going to see Prometheus tomorrow...and the somewhat mixed reception it is getting has me a lot more hopeful and intrigued than if it was getting unwaveringly high praise; I feel it may be a good sign.
richgard roeper gave it an a+ and i usually agree with him. i didn't know the guy that wrote lost wrote this. him plus ridley scott should make a good movie. :noclue:

http://www.richardroeper.com/reviews/prometheus.aspx

farrellgirl99

#157 Post by farrellgirl99 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:52 pm

i saw Bernie tonight. my friend and i didnt know what to see, so we ended up seeing this because i love richard linklater films.

it was...strange. but well done.

Juana

#158 Post by Juana » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:24 pm

creep wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:Almost all of Ridley Scott's movies have been hammered to various degrees when they were first released. I remember when Blade Runner first came out, a lot of reviewers basically appreciated the visual design of the film but ridiculed the story. Even Alien was called a rip-off bordering on plagiarism of several 50's sci-fi horror movies. The thing is, his movies have almost endless rewatchability potential. There's always something to be picked up and appreciated in later viewings. His movies seem to outlast the criticism and settle on classic status years and decades later.
Amen.

I'm going to see Prometheus tomorrow...and the somewhat mixed reception it is getting has me a lot more hopeful and intrigued than if it was getting unwaveringly high praise; I feel it may be a good sign.
richgard roeper gave it an a+ and i usually agree with him. i didn't know the guy that wrote lost wrote this. him plus ridley scott should make a good movie. :noclue:

http://www.richardroeper.com/reviews/prometheus.aspx
Saw it tonight and it was fucking awesome. Loved it. Loved the story and then the end of it making sense. Supposedly this is the first of a couple more that will define the Aliens as well as other stuff from what is out there on the web.

chaos

#159 Post by chaos » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:05 am

While I agree with Richard Roeper that both the visuals and Michael Fassbender's performance are impressive, I would not characterize Prometheus as being the "best movie of the year." If you go into the theater with that expectation you surely will be disappointed. As Roeper indicates Prometheus stands on its own regardless of whether people have seen any of the Alien movies (and I am one of those people).

I was impressed with the opening scene and thought the idea of searching for answers regarding the origins of man would make for an intriguing film. I also thought Noomi Rapace's performance was phenomenal. Although the visuals were stunning and the performances of both Fassbender and Repace carried the movie, I was disappointed in the utter lack of character and plot development. A little more substance would have gone a loooong way. I give it a B-.

Jasper

#160 Post by Jasper » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:11 am

Now this one far exceeded my expectations (I didn't know anything about it, so I didn't have much in the way of expectations). I think it's what big budget summer movies should be, but almost never are. I almost invariably dislike summer blockbusters, but the budget here was part of what helped them to create a very rich and convincing world. The key was that the effects didn't get in the way of the story. I say see it, unless you hate Lord of the Rings.

Oh, and Charlize Theron was incredible.

perkana

#161 Post by perkana » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:04 am

chaos wrote:While I agree with Richard Roeper that both the visuals and Michael Fassbender's performance are impressive, I would not characterize Prometheus as being the "best movie of the year." If you go into the theater with that expectation you surely will be disappointed. As Roeper indicates Prometheus stands on its own regardless of whether people have seen any of the Alien movies (and I am one of those people).

I was impressed with the opening scene and thought the idea of searching for answers regarding the origins of man would make for an intriguing film. I also thought Noomi Rapace's performance was phenomenal. Although the visuals were stunning and the performances of both Fassbender and Repace carried the movie, I was disappointed in the utter lack of character and plot development. A little more substance would have gone a loooong way. I give it a B-.
thanks to your review I now want to see it...Tyler told me Noomi sucked sometimes, but I love her acting.

perkana

#162 Post by perkana » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:05 am

Jasper wrote:Now this one far exceeded my expectations (I didn't know anything about it, so I didn't have much in the way of expectations). I think it's what big budget summer movies should be, but almost never are. I almost invariably dislike summer blockbusters, but the budget here was part of what helped them to create a very rich and convincing world. The key was that the effects didn't get in the way of the story. I say see it, unless you hate Lord of the Rings.

so it's not a chick flick? going to watch it then, based on your recommendation :wink:

Jasper

#163 Post by Jasper » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:14 pm

perkana wrote:so it's not a chick flick? going to watch it then, based on your recommendation :wink:
No, it's not a chick flick, it's just that the two biggest characters are female. It was definitely created so that diverse audiences would enjoy it. The closest thing I can come up with is definitely Lord of the Rings, maybe with a little Labyrinth mixed in. I didn't know anything about it, so I was pleased when it turned out to be fairly dark and violent. I can see it being especially enjoyable for someone who's really, really stoned. :hehe:

I Kept thinking that they should give every two episodes of Game of Thrones a budget like this flick had. That would be fucking insane.

creep
Site Admin

#164 Post by creep » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:49 pm

Jasper wrote:
perkana wrote:so it's not a chick flick? going to watch it then, based on your recommendation :wink:
No, it's not a chick flick, it's just that the two biggest characters are female. It was definitely created so that diverse audiences would enjoy it. The closest thing I can come up with is definitely Lord of the Rings, maybe with a little Labyrinth mixed in. I didn't know anything about it, so I was pleased when it turned out to be fairly dark and violent. I can see it being especially enjoyable for someone who's really, really stoned. :hehe:

I Kept thinking that they should give every two episodes of Game of Thrones a budget like this flick had. That would be fucking insane.
did you see this in a theater? if so i will bet everything i own that you saw this with a girl. i automatically didn't give this a chance when i saw that the twilight girl was the star which isn't fair.

SR

#165 Post by SR » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:23 pm

This, SW/H has looked good to me for a while. It's starting right now. :banana:

chaos

#166 Post by chaos » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:36 pm

I forgot to add a warning with regard to the Prometheus film: Several of the characters wear flip flops on the spaceship. :lol:

perkana

#167 Post by perkana » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:05 pm

dave wrote:
Jasper wrote:

did you see this in a theater? if so i will bet everything i own that you saw this with a girl. i automatically didn't give this a chance when i saw that the twilight girl was the star which isn't fair.
that's what I thought too, no one goes with me to these movies and less with her in it...But well Charlize Theron would definitely keep happy a lot of husbands and boyfriends :wink:
I'll admit that the Hemsworth guy is a good reason for me to watch it (which one of the two is he? they look the same to me, he's not Thor right? this one looks younger)

Artemis

#168 Post by Artemis » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:10 pm

chaos wrote:I forgot to add a warning with regard to the Prometheus film: Several of the characters wear flip flops on the spaceship. :lol:
:lol:

Pandemonium

#169 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:44 pm

So I saw Prometheus today. Had a bunch of stuff around Irvine early this morning and later this afternoon with a big 3 hour gap in the middle of the day so I went all out and did the IMAX 3D $20 viewing. Visually, I certainly felt I got my money's worth. The movie looks incredible from a production design standpoint and the way Ridley Scott filmed it and for the most part, especially in the big, expansive panorama shots, the 3D really adds to the experience. But the movie's unfortunately a schizophrenic failure, mostly because it tries to be a deep, philosophical rumination on the origins of mankind and religious faith yet it also wants to be a stupid monster movie. Throw in characters saying and doing stupid things that create otherwise logically avoidable situations and you get a movie that makes it really tough to want to like despite some really brilliant bits scattered throughout. There's several scenes that seem to be arbitrarily thrown in for no good reason other than cheap shock/horror that could have easily been left out with no harm to the movie. I don't know if that's due to meddling studio execs wanting that kind of shit thrown in or what, but the cheap thrills really bring this movie down.

Probably the one thing above all that bugged me was they went to great lengths to tie the movie in with the discovery of the "Space Jocky" (aka Engineer) and it's wrecked spacecraft in the original Alien film, but fucked up two key things either for some arcane reason or sheer lazy writing - The Engineer winds up dead in the Escape Pod, not seated in the command center in that seat on it's own spacecraft where it would later be found almost fossilized, and the planet is called LV-223, yet it was called LV-426 in the original Alien(s) movies.

Well worth seeing, but a huge disappointment considering how much of a blown opportunity this flick is.

Hype

#170 Post by Hype » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:50 pm

Finally saw that Sean Penn movie where he plays an old goth. It was okay. A bit tedious.

chaos

#171 Post by chaos » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:50 pm

Pandemonium wrote:So I saw Prometheus today. . . .

Well worth seeing, but a huge disappointment considering how much of a blown opportunity this flick is.
It's funny how the reviews go from one extreme to the other.

Richard Roeper gives it an A+ and thinks it is "the best movie of the year," whereas Ty Burr thinks it "is like opening a deluxe gift box from Tiffany’s to find a mug from the dollar store." :lol:

kv

#172 Post by kv » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:55 pm

perkana wrote:
Jasper wrote:Now this one far exceeded my expectations (I didn't know anything about it, so I didn't have much in the way of expectations). I think it's what big budget summer movies should be, but almost never are. I almost invariably dislike summer blockbusters, but the budget here was part of what helped them to create a very rich and convincing world. The key was that the effects didn't get in the way of the story. I say see it, unless you hate Lord of the Rings.

so it's not a chick flick? going to watch it then, based on your recommendation :wink:
it's alright

leviticus

#173 Post by leviticus » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:08 am

Pandemonium wrote: Probably the one thing above all that bugged me was they went to great lengths to tie the movie in with the discovery of the "Space Jocky" (aka Engineer) and it's wrecked spacecraft in the original Alien film, but fucked up two key things either for some arcane reason or sheer lazy writing - The Engineer winds up dead in the Escape Pod, not seated in the command center in that seat on it's own spacecraft where it would later be found almost fossilized, and the planet is called LV-223, yet it was called LV-426 in the original Alien(s) movies.

I thought the movie was great. I hope it does well and opens the door for other giant, thoughtful, R-rated sci-fi movies. A genre that has been missing for years.
Anyway... The engineer at the end of the movie is not the engineer in Alien. The planet in Prometheus is not the same planet in Alien. Prometheus details events that aren't supposed to line up precisely with Alien. It is the same universe but different situations. It's not a true prequel in that regard. We get a few answers as to the nature of our creation and the nature of those who created us as well as the "Alien" being used as a bio-weapon used to wipe out existing life on a planet, but we don't get a direct connection to the films. All the better for it in my opinion. This film answers questions as to what that Space Jockey was and what the cargo of eggs may have been used for in Alien, but we still don't know his story and why he ended up on LV-426. Prometheus expands on the universe that Alien takes place in.

It had it's weak moments, but I really enjoyed it.

Pandemonium

#174 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:44 am

leviticus wrote: I thought the movie was great. I hope it does well and opens the door for other giant, thoughtful, R-rated sci-fi movies. A genre that has been missing for years.
Anyway... The engineer at the end of the movie is not the engineer in Alien. The planet in Prometheus is not the same planet in Alien. Prometheus details events that aren't supposed to line up precisely with Alien. It is the same universe but different situations. It's not a true prequel in that regard. We get a few answers as to the nature of our creation and the nature of those who created us as well as the "Alien" being used as a bio-weapon used to wipe out existing life on a planet, but we don't get a direct connection to the films. All the better for it in my opinion. This film answers questions as to what that Space Jockey was and what the cargo of eggs may have been used for in Alien, but we still don't know his story and why he ended up on LV-426. Prometheus expands on the universe that Alien takes place in.

It had it's weak moments, but I really enjoyed it.
There's just too much that happens in relation to the Engineers' fate that would otherwise be a direct link to the discovery of his body and the ship in "Alien" excepting the name of the planet and the fact he dies in the escape Pod and not at the controls of his own ship. I honestly think that was the intent right through principle photography and at some point during post-production, a decision was made to include that pointless battle between the surviving Engineer and the Squidbilly alien.

If you think about it, if they just left it as his ship crashing back down on the planet with the Engineer at the controls, it would be a direct tie-in to Alien. Finding him dead (even with a unexplained chestburster wound) in the wrecked ship in Alien by the Nostromo crew would have made perfect sense. As to how he was impregnated in the first place, he could have originally put himself in stasis in that chamber after his whole crew had been wiped out by the bio-weapon critters created by the black oil. He could have already been impregnated by a facehugger type alien (much like Ripley did in Alien 2-3) and knowing that, put himself in suspended animation hoping someone would be able to cure him when his body would be discovered at some point in the future. But once he had been woken up by David, his "baby" would have begun to gestate again even as he tried to escape the planet. Once he was incapacitated or killed still strapped in the body suit chair after the ship had crashed, the alien baby would have popped outta his lifeless body and gone on its way, probably long dead before the Nostromo crew eventually discovered the derelict ship. Yeah, the planet doesn't appear the same on the surface as the one in "Alien," but it's a large mostly lifeless moon that has the same silicon windstorms and circles the same Saturn-like planet. It could be argued that the atmosphere quickly deteriorated or better yet, the Engineer race later just nuked the entire planet to kill off their bio-weapon stash to the point it was a hostile dead rock in Alien.

IMO, Ridley Scott should have taken the Engineer's fate in a much more divergent path instead of ending it as a ruined ship with a hold full of bioweapon (eggs) with a scrambled "warning" message (from Shaw) left for future investigators of the crash site.... pretty much like what was found at the beginning of Alien. The way they went to certain lengths to tie this in as a prequel to Alien, yet didn't as if this occurs in some alternate universe, reminded me of the recent botched reboot/prequel to The Thing.

Jasper

#175 Post by Jasper » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:35 am

Pandemonium wrote:
There's just too much that happens in relation to the Engineers' fate that would otherwise be a direct link to the discovery of his body and the ship in "Alien" excepting the name of the planet and the fact he dies in the escape Pod and not at the controls of his own ship. I honestly think that was the intent right through principle photography and at some point during post-production, a decision was made to include that pointless battle between the surviving Engineer and the Squidbilly alien.

If you think about it, if they just left it as his ship crashing back down on the planet with the Engineer at the controls, it would be a direct tie-in to Alien. Finding him dead (even with a unexplained chestburster wound) in the wrecked ship in Alien by the Nostromo crew would have made perfect sense. As to how he was impregnated in the first place, he could have originally put himself in stasis in that chamber after his whole crew had been wiped out by the bio-weapon critters created by the black oil. He could have already been impregnated by a facehugger type alien (much like Ripley did in Alien 2-3) and knowing that, put himself in suspended animation hoping someone would be able to cure him when his body would be discovered at some point in the future. But once he had been woken up by David, his "baby" would have begun to gestate again even as he tried to escape the planet. Once he was incapacitated or killed still strapped in the body suit chair after the ship had crashed, the alien baby would have popped outta his lifeless body and gone on its way, probably long dead before the Nostromo crew eventually discovered the derelict ship. Yeah, the planet doesn't appear the same on the surface as the one in "Alien," but it's a large mostly lifeless moon that has the same silicon windstorms and circles the same Saturn-like planet. It could be argued that the atmosphere quickly deteriorated or better yet, the Engineer race later just nuked the entire planet to kill off their bio-weapon stash to the point it was a hostile dead rock in Alien.

IMO, Ridley Scott should have taken the Engineer's fate in a much more divergent path instead of ending it as a ruined ship with a hold full of bioweapon (eggs) with a scrambled "warning" message (from Shaw) left for future investigators of the crash site.... pretty much like what was found at the beginning of Alien. The way they went to certain lengths to tie this in as a prequel to Alien, yet didn't as if this occurs in some alternate universe, reminded me of the recent botched reboot/prequel to The Thing.

I think we had the same experience watching the movie, because you seemed to have been let down in the same sort of way. Some of the action-type stuff seemed so contrived and out of place.

I think the dead engineer isn't supposed to be the same one from Alien. It's the same type of ship, I guess, but like you said, the planet number is different (I think they called it a planetoid in Alien), and the android, David, did say that there were many such ships. It could have been one that took off and crashed on a nearby planet/moon/whatever way back during the original disaster experienced by the engineers. In Alien, when they find the space jockey, they note that it's fossilized, and that it had been there for a very long time. The engineer that dies in Prometheus wouldn't have been there all that long if the crew from Alien found it. Mummified, maybe, but not fossilized.

What annoys me more is that, while I don't have anything against the design of the engineers, per say, the original space jockey was obviously meant to be a weird-looking Giger-produced creature, not something in a space suit. They already did that in some stupid alien abduction movie in the 90s, where the "greys" as we know them are in space suits, which they remove and appear much more monstrous. No advanced race is going to build this ridiculously baroque suit with tiny eye holes that just happens to look like a disgusting insect-like creature. It's never going to stop feeling like they shoe-horned this humanoid engineer race into the story and it doesn't quite fit. They could have said ugly alien insects engineered us just as easily, but one of the writers clearly got a hard-on about the religion tie-in, and wanted this race to have made us in their own image.

Oh, and another dumb thing about this is that it's supposed to be 2092 or something, and this fucking educated woman who believes we were created by aliens is a Christian. Give me a fucking break. She's an archeologist. She knows the goddamn world isn't 10,000 years old, and just about everything she believes is fundamentally opposed to the foundations of Abrahamic religion. If we were created by Aliens, then how the fuck did our God send his only begotten son to save our souls? The same god that says the Earth is the center of the universe and revolves around the sun. Huh? Makes no sense and hurts the believability of the character.