Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
nausearockpig

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1626 Post by nausearockpig » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:47 pm

Larry B. wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:
Larry B. wrote:Finally saw The Phantom Menace last night. It was even worse than I thought it was. A bunch of people narrating the story while remaining still, a bazillion CGI, unnecesary things all over the shot, the end.

Will watch Episode 2 soon.
Yeah but Darth Maul, & his lightsaber!

There's a fun fan theory that talks about Jar Jar being the secret Sith Lord behind it all. Google it. Awesome!
Yup, I read that on Reddit a few months ago, I think. It was actually one of the reasons I agreed to watch it with my wife. I remember reading that (supposedly) in an interview George Lucas or some other chump said something like "we had a great twist planned for one of the characters, that would really impact the direction of the other two movies, but due to the response of the audience we had to scrap it". Seems absolutely plausible.
I watched the video on it ( i assume it was on YT) and ended up thinking that either a) yes it was going down that path after seeing all the things Jar-Jar did and didn't do and was able to do etc, or b) that the guy was really reaching to connect the dots. I guess we'll never know. Would've been good though...

creep
Site Admin

#1627 Post by creep » Fri May 13, 2016 7:17 pm

i'm sure i have said this a thousand times but i generally do not like superhero movies. the new captain america was actually really good. captain america is sort of a dick though.

SR

#1628 Post by SR » Fri May 13, 2016 8:17 pm

Yes, it's been a very difficult 15 years or so for those of us who could give a fuck about super heroes. :eyes:

creep
Site Admin

#1629 Post by creep » Fri May 13, 2016 8:19 pm

awesome contribution

perkana

#1630 Post by perkana » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:59 pm

I watched my first summer movie today. I don't think it will be a blockbuster like its predecessor (I really missed Will Smith, he definitely has aged better than Vivica Fox), but it was entertaining :noclue:

nausearockpig

#1631 Post by nausearockpig » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:32 pm

perkana wrote:I watched my first summer movie today. I don't think it will be a blockbuster like its predecessor (I really missed Will Smith, he definitely has aged better than Vivica Fox), but it was entertaining :noclue:
That looks huge and fun... does need more lightsabers though......

Pandemonium

#1632 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:02 am

nausearockpig wrote:That looks huge and fun... does need more lightsabers though......
Trust me on this, wait for ID4-2 to show up on home video in Sept, don't waste your money on it in theaters. My son and I saw it yesterday and it's pretty awful. The first ID4 wasn't any modern classic but it was at least enjoyable, the new one is just a tired retread with bigger spaceships and bigger (giant, in fact) aliens with longs stretches of boring dialog. Most annoying, the movie overtly kisses China's ass.

perkana

#1633 Post by perkana » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:26 pm

I liked that :lol: (China and everything about girl power). I *enjoyed* Liam Hemsworth inmensely :boobs:

nausearockpig

#1634 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:23 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:That looks huge and fun... does need more lightsabers though......
Trust me on this, wait for ID4-2 to show up on home video in Sept, don't waste your money on it in theaters. My son and I saw it yesterday and it's pretty awful. The first ID4 wasn't any modern classic but it was at least enjoyable, the new one is just a tired retread with bigger spaceships and bigger (giant, in fact) aliens with longs stretches of boring dialog. Most annoying, the movie overtly kisses China's ass.
Done. It wasn't one I would venture out of the house for. These days the only movies I go out for are Star Wars and..... I was gonna say super hero movies but I've missed the latest Captain America and Batman vs Superman so... Star Wars...

perkana

#1635 Post by perkana » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:06 pm

I went to one of those 360 surround system movie theaters. I really recommend it, especially for action flicks (saw SW force awakens too). I wanted to watch it at one of those 4DX theaters, the ones with seats that move and you can smell too, but I haven't be lucky in finding one close to me. Has anyone been to one of those movie theaters? Are they worth it?

farrellgirl99

#1636 Post by farrellgirl99 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:20 pm

i saw The Lobster tonight. it was super weird and sadistic, but interesting. i had seen the director's previous weirdo movie, Dogtooth, so i knew what i was getting myself into. id recommend it if youre intrigued by the trailer and like dark humor/find the idea of an awkward colin farrell appealing.

creep
Site Admin

#1637 Post by creep » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:36 pm

farrellgirl99 wrote:i saw The Lobster tonight. it was super weird and sadistic, but interesting. i had seen the director's previous weirdo movie, Dogtooth, so i knew what i was getting myself into. id recommend it if youre intrigued by the trailer and like dark humor/find the idea of an awkward colin farrell appealing.

i couldn't decide if i liked that movie or hated it. still can't.

Pandemonium

#1638 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:05 am

So I watched the extended cut Blu-ray of Batman vs Superman last night, my first time seeing the movie as I skipped it during it's theatrical run.

Honestly, getting through the first hour or so of the movie, I thought it was a lot better than the poor word-of-mouth led me to believe. But as the movie progressed, especially once it finally got to the set-up for the fight(s), it really started falling apart for me. Probably the worst aspect of the movie was the casting, I absolutely hated Eisenberg as Luthor (he seemed to be playing The Joker, imo) and Henry Cavill remains a terrible, dull Superman. Even Holly Hunter as the Senator bugged me (did she have a stroke?). Really, the only thing that worked was Affleck as Batman. Wonder Woman was essentially an extended cameo at the end.

BTW, I thought it was kinda cool seeing Sheila E and Josh Freese getting credits as part of the "drum" music cues.

chaos

#1639 Post by chaos » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:48 pm

farrellgirl99 wrote:i saw The Lobster tonight. it was super weird and sadistic, but interesting. i had seen the director's previous weirdo movie, Dogtooth, so i knew what i was getting myself into. id recommend it if youre intrigued by the trailer and like dark humor/find the idea of an awkward colin farrell appealing.

I want to see this (even though I don't like Rachel Weisz).

New Yorker review: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/ ... -civil-war

Ganondorf

#1640 Post by Ganondorf » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:21 pm

blackula

#1641 Post by blackula » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:18 pm

Awesome, I liked Dogtooth. Thanks, definitely going to check this out

SR

#1642 Post by SR » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:58 pm

SR

#1643 Post by SR » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:01 pm

blackula wrote:

This looks great.

clickie

#1644 Post by clickie » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:14 pm

Guess i'm gonna watch nightcraller tonight..Either that or "the guest".

creep
Site Admin

#1645 Post by creep » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:35 am

i watched "the 33" last night. it's the movie about the 33 larry b's trapped in the mine for 69 days. i'm sure the film isn't 100% accurate because it is a movie. it was ok. they brought the real miners together at the end of the film... that was sort of cool. i hope they made a little money from this film.

Pandemonium

#1646 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:23 am

I watched (or at least tried to) "Hardcore Harry" last night. It's an action flick that I'd best describe as a cross between a typical over-the-top Jason Statham flick like Crank 2 and Robocop by way of a FPS video game - that is, the entire movie is from the POV of the main guy (who is part cyborg of course) which due to the shakeycam effect makes this like watching Cloverfield or Blair Witch Project X1000. I give the movie credit for being wildly over the top violent with some funny bits including the obligatory bit were the guy(or you, the viewer) gets laid by a bunch of hookers but I pretty much zipped through this movie in about 30 minutes, it was so hard to watch.

farrellgirl99

#1647 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:22 pm

creep wrote:i watched "the 33" last night. it's the movie about the 33 larry b's trapped in the mine for 69 days. i'm sure the film isn't 100% accurate because it is a movie. it was ok. they brought the real miners together at the end of the film... that was sort of cool. i hope they made a little money from this film.
"33 larry b's" :lol:

havent seen the movie, but i remember reading this article about the miners and how fucked up they got from the incident and it was super depressing

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/ ... -nine-days

Bandit72

#1648 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:24 am

Question : In which movie does Jack Nicholson produce his best acting?

I'm interested in what people choose.

Artemis

#1649 Post by Artemis » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:44 am

Bandit72 wrote:Question : In which movie does Jack Nicholson produce his best acting?

I'm interested in what people choose.
I haven't seen all the movies that he's been in, but from the ones I have seen, I will go with:

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

clickie

#1650 Post by clickie » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:22 am

He played a pretty convincing violent alcoholic psychopath in 'the shining'. Athough a lot of hard core Stephen king fans and Stephen himself say kubrick ruined the movie but i love the tone and atmosphere.