Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Matz

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1581 Post by Matz » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:05 am

worse than django?! how about that. that one sucked so much I had to bail out after about 25 minutes

creep
Site Admin

#1582 Post by creep » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:37 am

Matz wrote:worse than django?! how about that. that one sucked so much I had to bail out after about 25 minutes
django was my least favorite until hateful 8. django was a decent movie.

Hype

#1583 Post by Hype » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:25 pm

creep wrote:i watched the hateful 8 tonight. it's my least favorite tarantino movie. i wanted to love it but didn't happen. it was just ok. slow moving and boring at times.
I think that's true of all his movies. But I like them anyway, and I'm not sure why.

kv

#1584 Post by kv » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:13 am

did i ever mention ( prob a 100 times) Tarantino was my video clerk at the local vhs store growing up? all he did was watch movies all day and night on a big projection tv in the store...hooked me up with many a badass movie

and ya almost all his stuff is slow burns

perkana

#1585 Post by perkana » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:46 am

Hype wrote:
creep wrote:i watched the hateful 8 tonight. it's my least favorite tarantino movie. i wanted to love it but didn't happen. it was just ok. slow moving and boring at times.
I think that's true of all his movies. But I like them anyway, and I'm not sure why.
Because they're good...

creep
Site Admin

#1586 Post by creep » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:08 pm

i watched "spotlight" tonight. pretty good movie. movies based in boston are usually rough because either the actor does a really bad boston accent or they go in and out of one. just do away with the accents. we know where you are supposed to be from.

besides that it was pretty good.
In 2001, editor Marty Baron of The Boston Globe assigns a team of journalists to investigate allegations against John Geoghan, an unfrocked priest accused of molesting more than 80 boys. Led by editor Walter "Robby" Robinson, reporters Michael Rezendes (Mark Ruffalo), Matt Carroll and Sacha Pfeiffer interview victims and try to unseal sensitive documents. The reporters make it their mission to provide proof of a cover-up of sexual abuse within the Roman Catholic Church.

mockbee

#1587 Post by mockbee » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:41 pm

The Big Short is a 2015 American biographical comedy-drama film directed and co-written by Adam McKay.[4] It is based on the 2010 book of the same name by Michael Lewis, about the financial crisis of 2007–2010 by the build-up of the housing and credit bubble.[4] The film stars Christian Bale, Steve Carell, Ryan Gosling, and Brad Pitt.

Saw The Big Short. Very well done. Steve Carell did a really good job. I can't believe it was over 2 hours long, it seemed like it flew by, they had to cram so much in. I wish it was actually like 4 or 5 hours long, maybe a series or something, they could really go much deeper into all aspects of the housing crises, really our Capitalism crisis. This is far from over. :scared: :noclue:

Also saw Brooklyn, well done, held my interest about the trials of an Irish immigrant in the 1950s.

Larry B.

#1588 Post by Larry B. » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:38 am

A couple of nights ago we watched Carpenter's "The Thing". Really good, albeit using the old resource of making some characters make really stupid decisions in order to aid the development of the plot. Aside from that, I can see how it's a god damned classic.

Pandemonium

#1589 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:11 pm

Larry B. wrote:A couple of nights ago we watched Carpenter's "The Thing". Really good, albeit using the old resource of making some characters make really stupid decisions in order to aid the development of the plot. Aside from that, I can see how it's a god damned classic.
One of my very favorite horror flicks. I remember seeing it opening weekend back in 82(?). The one bit where the guy's toothy stomach opens up and chomps off the arms of the other guy was a true Holy Shit moment - everyone in that packed theater freaked out, it took a couple minutes for the place to settle down.

Larry B.

#1590 Post by Larry B. » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:47 am

Pandemonium wrote:
Larry B. wrote:A couple of nights ago we watched Carpenter's "The Thing". Really good, albeit using the old resource of making some characters make really stupid decisions in order to aid the development of the plot. Aside from that, I can see how it's a god damned classic.
One of my very favorite horror flicks. I remember seeing it opening weekend back in 82(?). The one bit where the guy's toothy stomach opens up and chomps off the arms of the other guy was a true Holy Shit moment - everyone in that packed theater freaked out, it took a couple minutes for the place to settle down.
Yup, freaked me the fuck out. I wasn't expecting that at all.

Artemis

#1591 Post by Artemis » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:10 am

I saw The Danish Girl. The acting and the style/look of the movie was excellent;however, I felt like there was something missing. Not much depth or background info to the characters. The movie seemed to focus more on the wife, Gerda's reaction and struggle with her hursband's decision to become a woman. I think it's still worth watching though. If not for substance, then certainly for the beautiful visuals.
Eddy Redmayne is a really good actor. I think i should finally see the Theory of Everything.

Pandemonium

#1592 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:49 pm

I finally watched The Martian last night. IMO, it was good but highly over-rated. The last 3rd especially kind of devolved into (Ron Howard's) Apollo 13 Rah-Rah NASA-can-overcome-any-obstacle treacle.

creep
Site Admin

#1593 Post by creep » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:56 am

this will make jasper happy. i loved season 1. the others not as much.
HBO has greenlit a Deadwood movie
http://www.avclub.com/article/hbo-has-g ... vie-230448

Jasper

#1594 Post by Jasper » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:51 am

creep wrote:this will make jasper happy. i loved season 1. the others not as much.
HBO has greenlit a Deadwood movie
http://www.avclub.com/article/hbo-has-g ... vie-230448
This does make me happy, though I'm still hoping for even more.

I wonder how they'll deal with the passage of time. There's no shortage of interesting material that happened there with those characters over a few decades, like when young Teddy Roosevelt became close buddies with Seth Bullock:
Bullock met Theodore Roosevelt, then a deputy sheriff from Medora, North Dakota, in 1884 while bringing a horse thief known as Crazy Steve into custody on the range, near what would become the town of Belle Fourche. The two became lifelong friends, Roosevelt later saying of Bullock, "Seth Bullock is a true Westerner, the finest type of frontiersman."
Remember when Steve the drunk got kicked in the head by a horse and became a drooling idiot? I wonder if they were setting him up to partially recover and become a horse thief, crazy due to the brain damage. Probably not, but you never know.

Mescal

#1595 Post by Mescal » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:41 am

I don't watch that many movies, not that I don't like them, but I just don't seem to find the time to sit in front of the TV for 2,5 hours.

Anyways, after a recommendation (best movie I've seen in a very long time), the raving reviews, the 'they're gonna got so many oscars talk'; I watched the Revenant last night.

The movie sucks.

Camera work and all that may be good, nice scenery and all that (but if I wanted to see some nice scenery I would have watched discovery channel or something) ... but what a crappy and unrealistic story.

Total waste of 2,5 hours of my time

Larry B.

#1596 Post by Larry B. » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:28 am

Watched Ant-Man last night. Pretty boring. I'll have to see the sequel though, as I want to see Evangeline Lilly in a tight suit.

I also re-watched Jurassic Park a couple of nights ago, as my wife hadn't seen it before. Still a fun movie to watch.

Artemis

#1597 Post by Artemis » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:11 am

Mescal wrote:I don't watch that many movies, not that I don't like them, but I just don't seem to find the time to sit in front of the TV for 2,5 hours.

Anyways, after a recommendation (best movie I've seen in a very long time), the raving reviews, the 'they're gonna got so many oscars talk'; I watched the Revenant last night.

The movie sucks.

Camera work and all that may be good, nice scenery and all that (but if I wanted to see some nice scenery I would have watched discovery channel or something) ... but what a crappy and unrealistic story.

Total waste of 2,5 hours of my time
This movie doesn't interest me much at all. I hate survival type movies- man vs nature. I prefer movies about dysfunctional people with a lot of dialogue. :lol:

If I do go to see The Revenant, it will be for the cinematography. I read that the movie was shot using only natural light.

perkana

#1598 Post by perkana » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:24 pm

I liked it, didn't love it. I only fell asleep during the emotional mushy parts. Definitely it went fast for me. I liked the acting and the cinematography a lot. It was more than a survival movie, and yes I have read every interview about it. I'm a big fan of Lubezki. Not so much of González Iñárritu, he's a hit or miss guy. I prefer Cuarón.

perkana

#1599 Post by perkana » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:03 am

I'm going to watch today Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and The Hateful Eight in a row at the movies. I enjoyed the book of the first one (truly recommend it, I love the original but this mock up version is funny as hell) and despite the negative reviews I've read here and in other places, I still wanna watch it. I could watch them at home but I'm a sucker for watching this kind of movies in a theater.

Pandemonium

#1600 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:07 am

Got around to watching both Spectre and Crimson Peak the past couple nights. Both were kind of letdowns although I thought Spectre was mostly a hot mess outside of a few cool action set pieces.

creep
Site Admin

#1601 Post by creep » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:44 pm

i'm not a fan at all of superhero movies but deadpool was really good. probably because the movie didn't take the whole superhero thing seriously and made fun of the typical things you see in them. it's more of a comedy than a superhero movie. that is probably why i liked it.

perkana

#1602 Post by perkana » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:58 pm

Thanks for your review, I wasn't sure about watching it. Today I'm going to see Legend with Tom Hardy. He plays gangster twins.

Artemis

#1603 Post by Artemis » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:10 am

A friend and I went to see The Witch last night and walked out after about an hour. I know this movie has been getting rave reviews but it didn't do anything for me. I found it really boring.I knew going in that it was not going to be a typical horror movie, so I was not expecting that. I found the lighting in the movie to be quite dark most of the time and some of the dialogue was difficult to understand. I think due to sound mixing. Also, the people in the theatre were quite distracting- lots of coughing, talking, and candy wrapper rustling. I'll probably watch this movie again some time, perhaps in the comfort of home without all the distractions.

farrellgirl99

#1604 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:06 am

How much are movies in Cananda, Artemis? I feel like I could never walk out on a movie because of how expensive they are.

I went to see Deadpool last night and paid $33 for two people. Unbelievable. I didn't like it, but I wasn't expecting too. Not my type of humor.

perkana

#1605 Post by perkana » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:24 am

Here is so cheap... I pay 45-60 pesos (2.25-3 USD). 80 (4 USD) if I want to watch in 3D or with better digital sound. I think 4D is around 160 pesos (8 USD).