Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Matz

Re: Movies

#351 Post by Matz » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:47 pm

perkana

#352 Post by perkana » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:14 pm

Matz wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:I had no idea the horrible Sean Connery/Bond "Never Say Never Again" blu-ray went out of print. People are paying astronomical sums (up to $199) to get it used on places like eBay. I picked it up at Frys about a year ago for under $7, watched it once and it sits in the shelf collecting dust.
you're right, it is horrible. It's not even an official Bond movie I don't think. It's made by a different studio I believe. The best Bond movie that Connery did is Thunderball, followed by Goldfinger.

And License to kill IS great, don't listen to the haters, please watch it and report back, I'm curious as to what you think. It's a Bond movie with a mean vibe which is awesome. Benecio del Toro is in it too by the way, great villain as well
I did like License to Kill of all of Timothy's :wink: But I think the major reason was that it was filmed here in Mexico...
Btw, fucking loved Skyfall...I got goosebumps

Pandemonium

#353 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:09 pm

I picked up License to Kill this afternoon at Best Buy while doing some early Christmas shopping for the kid. Gonna watch it tonight. Plan on catching Skyfall next weekend at the Irvine IMAX after the lines have died down a bit this week.

Other Bond stuff - as KV said, From Russia With Love is absolutely one of the best Bonds and one of my favorites because of Robert Shaw's performance. It does move kinda slow in spots but the set pieces and some of the little stuff (using a underground periscope to check out a Russian office and ultimately to scope on a female agent's legs) and secondary characters really add to the movie.

To a much lesser extent, I actually consider The Man With The Golden Gun (an otherwise mediocre Bond flick) as my favorite Roger Moore Bond flick only because of Christopher Lee as the assassin. I recently watched The Spy Who Loved Me for the first time in decades and found it pretty slow and often silly, completely different than when I first saw it when it opened in theaters in '77 when it was one of the biggest movies of that year.

perkana

#354 Post by perkana » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:16 pm

One of my favorites is Goldfinger...I've got many, but I enjoy this one every time I watch it. Too bad I have most Bond movies on VHS

farrellgirl99

#355 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:12 pm

I saw Skyfall tonight. it was actually my first james bonds movie because i typically hate action movies. i thought it was very good. a bit long, but the action kept up and i thought javier bardem did a great acting job. plus daniel craig is so hot.

leviticus

#356 Post by leviticus » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:15 pm

Huge bond fan. Skyfall may be the best.

LJF

#357 Post by LJF » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:39 am

Watched the Departed again last night, that movie is brilliant.

perkana

#358 Post by perkana » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:59 am

Loved this!

perkana

#359 Post by perkana » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:01 am

leviticus wrote:Huge bond fan. Skyfall may be the best.
I think so too...at least for the 2000's

Pandemonium

#360 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:10 am

So I watched License To Kill last night for the first time.

I thought overall it was decent, certainly better then the Moore films but not great by any stretch. A lot of the late 80's feel and music for it seems dated already and many set pieces seem cheaply done. The bar fight looked almost tv quality. In fact, the way it was filmed reminded me a lot of one of Arnold Schwarzenegger's crummier low budget 80's action flicks like Commando or Raw Deal. The opening credits montage and song (was that Gladys Knight?) pretty much sucked. The Bond chicks totally lacked magnetism imo, although Bouvier was cute and looked a lot like a former girlfriend. Dalton was decent in the role but he really seems to lack a certain charisma and energy in the role.

I appreciated the near lack of stupid jokes and puns although the ongoing shtick about "Sharky" (every time someone gets chowed on by a shark, the next scene starts with Bond calling his friend named "Sharky" ....until it's his turn.) was groan-worthy. Once Bond was embedded in Sanchez's home and Q was brought in, the movie finally began to *feel* like a bond flick. Speaking of Sanchez, he's clearly modeled on Pacino/Tony Montana and I could feel the 80's "Scarface" stamp all over this movie down to the paranoid drug lord losing confidence in (and often killing) all his "trusted" employees around him. Also noticed some obvious Spielberg/Indiana Jones swiping during the tanker truck chase where Bond is often dragged under the truck. I chuckled at how young Benicio Del Toro looked but he was by face the most menacing character in the film. The emphasis on bloody endings for some characters was unusually graphic for Bond films, but still well below PG13.

Overall, it was a likeable film but not one that sticks in my memory like even the weakest Connery flicks.

clickie

#361 Post by clickie » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:39 am

What did perkana mean when she said dalton didnt go over well because the AIDS epidemic?..is he gay?

perkana

#362 Post by perkana » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:52 am

I meant that before and after him, Bond had at least two girls...when it was Dalton's time he only slept with one, that I recall :hs:

clickie

#363 Post by clickie » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:55 am

How do you know so much about Bond? did you read all the books?

perkana

#364 Post by perkana » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:01 am

nope, I've been a fan since I was a kid (my mom is a huge fan so it runs in the family)

Matz

#365 Post by Matz » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:47 am

perkana wrote:I meant that before and after him, Bond had at least two girls...when it was Dalton's time he only slept with one, that I recall :hs:
no, no, he nails at least two in each of his Bond movies :essence:

perkana

#366 Post by perkana » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:14 pm

I have blurry memories...but even if he did, I remember the Bond girls were kinda meh, just like Pande pointed out before.

Juana

#367 Post by Juana » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:38 pm

I just watched the Campaign finally and it was hilarious

Matz

#368 Post by Matz » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:57 pm

Pandemonium wrote:So I watched License To Kill last night for the first time.

I thought overall it was decent, certainly better then the Moore films but not great by any stretch. A lot of the late 80's feel and music for it seems dated already and many set pieces seem cheaply done. The bar fight looked almost tv quality. In fact, the way it was filmed reminded me a lot of one of Arnold Schwarzenegger's crummier low budget 80's action flicks like Commando or Raw Deal. The opening credits montage and song (was that Gladys Knight?) pretty much sucked. The Bond chicks totally lacked magnetism imo, although Bouvier was cute and looked a lot like a former girlfriend. Dalton was decent in the role but he really seems to lack a certain charisma and energy in the role.

I appreciated the near lack of stupid jokes and puns although the ongoing shtick about "Sharky" (every time someone gets chowed on by a shark, the next scene starts with Bond calling his friend named "Sharky" ....until it's his turn.) was groan-worthy. Once Bond was embedded in Sanchez's home and Q was brought in, the movie finally began to *feel* like a bond flick. Speaking of Sanchez, he's clearly modeled on Pacino/Tony Montana and I could feel the 80's "Scarface" stamp all over this movie down to the paranoid drug lord losing confidence in (and often killing) all his "trusted" employees around him. Also noticed some obvious Spielberg/Indiana Jones swiping during the tanker truck chase where Bond is often dragged under the truck. I chuckled at how young Benicio Del Toro looked but he was by face the most menacing character in the film. The emphasis on bloody endings for some characters was unusually graphic for Bond films, but still well below PG13.

Overall, it was a likeable film but not one that sticks in my memory like even the weakest Connery flicks.
well ok, to each his own, it'll always be one of my favorites. You're 100% right about the bar fight though, that's very weak. They start fightning at the Bond table and all of a sudden EVERYONE in the bar fights with each other. It's so bad it's kind of cool :lol:

Pandemonium

#369 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:14 pm

Matz wrote:well ok, to each his own, it'll always be one of my favorites. You're 100% right about the bar fight though, that's very weak. They start fightning at the Bond table and all of a sudden EVERYONE in the bar fights with each other. It's so bad it's kind of cool :lol:
One thing I thought kinda funny was it seemed Dalton/Bond smoked a lot and sure enough, during the end credits there was this big warning about how smoking causes cancer, etc. I didn't realize that even at the end of the 80's there was already a strong movement against "glamorizing" smoking in movies.

clickie

#370 Post by clickie » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:51 pm

This Bond stuff is very interedesting.

Matz

#371 Post by Matz » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:07 pm

another one of my favorites is A view to a kill. It's Roger Moore's last Bond movie. Lots and lots of people kind of hate it (and lots love it too), saying it's one of the worst but I think it's Moore's absolute best. Granted he looks a little over the hill, I think he was 53 when he did it, but the plot, the locations, the villain (Christopher Walken as a psychopath, brilliantly played) is all really great. It's also not as light as some of the earlier ones he did which I like a lot. The music is also extremely powerful, very good score.

clickie

#372 Post by clickie » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:30 am

When it comes to Bond films everyones opinion is all over the place. We havent even got into the basics..like who's the most memorable Bond villian?

creep
Site Admin

#373 Post by creep » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:48 am

clickie wrote:When it comes to Bond films everyones opinion is all over the place. We havent even got into the basics..like who's the most memorable Bond villian?
jaws of course

clickie

#374 Post by clickie » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:52 am

Moonraker

perkana

#375 Post by perkana » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:02 am

creep wrote:
clickie wrote:When it comes to Bond films everyones opinion is all over the place. We havent even got into the basics..like who's the most memorable Bond villian?
jaws of course