Black Sabbath's Tony Iommi diagnosed with cancer

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
chaos

#1 Post by chaos » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:26 pm

Pandemonium wrote:"According to Billboard.com, the reunited original lineup of BLACK SABBATH was one of the planned headliners for this year's Coachella Valley Music And Arts Festival, but was forced to pull out just before yesterday's official lineup announcement due to guitarist Tony Iommi's recent lymphoma diagnosis."
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/ja ... mmi-cancer
Guitarist reveals he has early-stage lymphoma but intends to proceed with band's long-awaited comeback
Sean Michaels
guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 10 January 2012 08.05 EST

Black Sabbath guitarist Tony Iommi has cancer. The 63-year-old musician is "upbeat and determined" after being diagnosed with early-stage lymphoma, and intends to proceed with his band's comeback album and tour.

Black Sabbath announced Iommi's illness on Facebook, explaining he is "working with his doctors to establish the best treatment plan". "[Tony's] bandmates would like everyone to send positive vibes to the guitarist at this time," they wrote. "[He is] determined to make a full and successful recovery."

The lymphoma diagnosis comes about two months after Black Sabbath announced the reformation of their original lineup, featuring Iommi, Ozzy Osbourne, Geezer Butler and Bill Ward. The heavy-metal legends still plan to complete a new album – their first in 33 years – with producer Rick Rubin. But they will relocate recording sessions from Los Angeles to England, allowing Iommi to participate while he undergoes medical treatment.

There remains the question of Black Sabbath's forthcoming tour, which begins in May. For now, the gigs are still on, although Iommi may not be well enough to perform. "Further information will be released as it becomes available," the band said.

Many of Iommi's fans and friends offered support over Twitter. "Best wishes for a full recovery," wrote Slash. "FUCK YOU, cancer!" declared Sebastian Bach. Or as Anthrax put it: "This really does suck. GET WELL SOON TONY!"
Black Sabbath in 2011

Bandit72

Re: Black Sabbath's Tony Iommi diagnosed with cancer

#2 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:37 pm

I hope he makes a full recovery, I wouldn't mind seeing this tour. It's funny, only a couple of months ago I walked passed the house where Ozzy was born on the way to the football.

JOEinPHX

#3 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:56 pm

First Dio, now Tony.

If there's a god, he's an Ozzy Osbourne fan.

Kajicat

#4 Post by Kajicat » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:08 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:First Dio, now Tony.

If there's a god, he's an Ozzy Osbourne fan.
Too true. :cona:
This SUCKS.
Maybe there IS an afterlife and if Iommi loses his battle with cancer at least they can rock out together. HEAVEN & HELL

SR

#5 Post by SR » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:34 pm

I love Sabbath. "Changes" is one of my favorite ballads of all time. I cranked it while screaming down the 5 at 4 in the morning to see my father off for the last time.

I wish him well, and hope they can make the tour a go. I would love to hear that masterpiece live.

Bandit72

#6 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:29 am

There was a brilliant documentary on Ozzy last night. Don't think you can get iPlayer in the states but if it comes on documentary heaven or as a torrent, it's worth the watch.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... _Osbourne/