Nickelback thank The Black Keys for dissing them

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
chaos

Nickelback thank The Black Keys for dissing them

#1 Post by chaos » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:32 pm

http://www.nme.com/news/the-black-keys--3/61276
Nickelback have taken to Twitter to thank The Black Keys for dissing them.

Earlier this week The Black Keys' drummer Patrick Carney claimed there was a lull in guitar groups coming to the fore, blaming Nickelback for rock and roll's decline.

He told Rolling Stone: "Rock and roll is dying because people became OK with Nickelback being the biggest band in the world."

Carney added: "So they became OK with the idea that the biggest rock band in the world is always going to be shit - therefore you should never try to be the biggest rock band in the world. Fuck that."

With tongue placed firmly in cheek, Nickelback have now responded, writing:Thanks to the drummer in The Black Keys calling us the Biggest Band in the World in Rolling Stone. Hehe.

In the original interview, Carney also said: "Rock and roll is the music I feel the most passionately about, and I don't like to see it fucking ruined and spoon-fed down our throats in this watered-down, post-grunge crap, horrendous shit."

Artemis

Re: Nickelback thank The Black Keys for dissing them

#2 Post by Artemis » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:43 pm

you've got to admit, the nickeback guys are pretty good sports about all the hate toward them.

even in their hometown, one of the radio stations has a "no nickelback guarantee" :lol:

Juana

#3 Post by Juana » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:49 am

Well to be fair they have never hidden the fact they want to write singles so in that aspect I give them credit. Also they seem to have a sense of humor about it so good on them. As for the Black Keys they need to make another Blakroc album because the rest of their shit is meh

creep
Site Admin

#4 Post by creep » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:18 am

Juana wrote:Well to be fair they have never hidden the fact they want to write singles so in that aspect I give them credit. Also they seem to have a sense of humor about it so good on them.
i never understood the hate for them. there is an audience for their type of music obviously and they do a good job of producing that sort of music. i have a lot more respect for them then the britney spears or katy perry type of artists that don't write or perform their own music they just dance and lip sync on stage.

Pure Method

#5 Post by Pure Method » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:26 am

@Juana

blakroc :rockon:

JOEinPHX

#6 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:31 pm

creep wrote:
Juana wrote:Well to be fair they have never hidden the fact they want to write singles so in that aspect I give them credit. Also they seem to have a sense of humor about it so good on them.
i never understood the hate for them.
They are cheesy. It's like the 80s all over again. Big fluffy riffs and songs that mean nothing.
there is an audience for their type of music obviously and they do a good job of producing that sort of music.
There is only an audience because that is the only thing the radio is giving the mainstream audience.

I remember when Sheryl Crow and Blues Traveler were on my local rock station and their albums were flying off the shelves. Now that same station plays 20 bands who all sound like Nickelback. People buy what the radio plays for them.
i have a lot more respect for them then the britney spears or katy perry type of artists that don't write or perform their own music they just dance and lip sync on stage.
This is the only part i will agree with you on. Even though their songs and lyrics are horrible, at least they write them themselves.

Pandemonium

#7 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:49 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
creep wrote:
i have a lot more respect for them then the britney spears or katy perry type of artists that don't write or perform their own music they just dance and lip sync on stage.
This is the only part i will agree with you on. Even though their songs and lyrics are horrible, at least they write them themselves.
So does GWAR, but that don't make 'em good.

I should probably thank the Gods every time I listen to any music these days that I grew up in the early 70's and caught and appreciated most of rock music's best artists/decades. I know I sound like some toothless old fuck on a porch in his rocker waving his cane at the young'uns bitching "in my day, people knew how to write and play decent music" but it's the truth when you look at what we have today. I challenge anyone to tell me that *any* kind of music is better or even comes close right now to what was around in 1995, or 1985 or 1975 or even 1965.

Jasper

#8 Post by Jasper » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:00 am

Pandemonium wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
creep wrote:

I should probably thank the Gods every time I listen to any music these days that I grew up in the early 70's and caught and appreciated most of rock music's best artists/decades. I know I sound like some toothless old fuck on a porch in his rocker waving his cane at the young'uns bitching "in my day, people knew how to write and play decent music" but it's the truth when you look at what we have today. I challenge anyone to tell me that *any* kind of music is better or even comes close right now to what was around in 1995, or 1985 or 1975 or even 1965.
I would, but you wouldn't agree, so obviously the entire exercise would be fruitless.
creep wrote:i have a lot more respect for them then the britney spears or katy perry type of artists that don't write or perform their own music they just dance and lip sync on stage.
That's not really an apt comparison. One is supposed to be a rock band, and the others come from a long tradition of manufactured bubblegum pop. I have no respect for any of them, but one is failing harder at their mission than the others. Hard rock is supposed to have some kind of integrity, but that shit is pure cheese, and as far as I can tell, they don't even provide any kind of guilty pleasure. There's no excusing it.

Mescal

#9 Post by Mescal » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:08 am

Pandemonium wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
creep wrote:

Between 75 and 95 is a 20 year gap.

So according to the Kondratieff curve, good music should be on its way

JOEinPHX

#10 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:29 am

It's almost time. Everything, from pop to rock has gotten very glitzy and partylike. Just like the 80s. It's time for another Nirvana to come along with 3 of their friends and say "fuck you, it's time to get dirty"

chaos

#11 Post by chaos » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:04 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/trending-no ... 45301.html
Nickelback Haters Get a Taste of Their Own Medicine on Twitter

At the end of last year, people were petitioning to have the Canadian rock band Nickelback replaced as the headlining performance at the Detroit Lions vs. the Green Bay Packers Thanksgiving Day game. The petition received more than 50,000 signatures, but Nickelback still performed. That is not the only time that people have had bad things to say about the mainstream rock band. People have taken to Twitter to express their disdain with the band. The difference now is that the band or whoever runs the band's Twitter account is replying to the negative comments. One person tweeted "You ruin my day when I hear your music." Nickelback replied, "How else could we cause you so much torment? So worth it." When another person tweeted, "Nickelback makes me want to chop my ears off," the band responded "Did you do it yet? What's the hold-up?" And there are literally dozens more exchanges like this. Even "American Idol" alumnus Daughtry got in on it, replying to Nickelback and calling it "hilarious." The band currently has more than 140,000 followers on Twitter.

creep
Site Admin

#12 Post by creep » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:34 pm

chaos wrote: The band currently has more than 140,000 followers on Twitter.
that seems really low for a band that popular

chaos

#13 Post by chaos » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:37 pm

creep wrote:
I guess it depends on the reason for the popularity. :lol:

http://twitter.com/nickelback

creep
Site Admin

#14 Post by creep » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:40 pm

chaos wrote:
creep wrote:
I guess it depends on the reason for the popularity. :lol:

http://twitter.com/nickelback
when i went to their twitter page i saw this

i guess bush isn't too popular either anymore

JOEinPHX

#15 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:53 am

Bush went on hiatus for a long time. Now they are trying to crawl back, but the rock landscape has changed. It's not like Pearl Jam or Soundgarden are going to take them along. So they get stuck playing with the imposters.

Matz

#16 Post by Matz » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:18 am

they're imposters themselves so it's a perfect fit as I see it

JOEinPHX

#17 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:10 am

i never saw them as imposters.

They were just one of the bands that got signed because labels went on a grunge-signing frenzy, but they had talent.

They weren't first tier talent like Soundgarden or Alice in Chains, but they were certainly on tier 2 with Candlebox and Silverchair.

It's not like they were Sister Hazel, The Nixons, or Seven Mary Three. haha

Matz

#18 Post by Matz » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:25 am

maybe I'm being too hard on them, I don't know them that well. But I don't agree that they were on par with Silverchair. I'm possibly gonna get flamed for saying this but I really like a lot of Neon Ballroom fx. Daniel Johns has more talent in his pinky than Rossdale has in his entire body

creep
Site Admin

#19 Post by creep » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:29 am

bush (the band) bored the shit out of me. i never understood their appeal.

Xizen47

#20 Post by Xizen47 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:51 am

Six7Six7 wrote:i never saw them as imposters.
Really?

Bush had Nirvana written all over them,, they were the most successful of the early 90's imposters... It was like a grunge boy band.. There's a reason that you'll never see them open for Pearl Jam or AIC.. They're like an early version of Nickleback..

Always hated that band..

JOEinPHX

#21 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:17 am

Xizen47 wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:i never saw them as imposters.
Really?

Bush had Nirvana written all over them,, they were the most successful of the early 90's imposters... It was like a grunge boy band.. There's a reason that you'll never see them open for Pearl Jam or AIC.. They're like an early version of Nickleback..

Always hated that band..
Saying Bush ripped off Nirvana is like saying Stone Temple Pilots ripped off Pearl Jam

It has no basis in fact and the only difference between the "innovators" and the "copy" was that the "innovator" got their record out first.

I hear no similarity between Bush and Nirvana other than they both played strats/mustangs through dirty distortion. Lyrically and vocally and vibe wise they had nothing in common.

Xizen47

#22 Post by Xizen47 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:53 am

Bush didn't even form until after Nirvana was already mainstream, and they didn't realase their debut album until 93 or 94 at a time when Nirvana's the biggest band on the planet...

but if you don't see the obvious similarities (beyond the distorted guitars), Idk what to tell ya :noclue:

JOEinPHX

#23 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:55 am

i hear them both trying to sound like The Pixies, of which both were fans. :noclue:

guysmiley

#24 Post by guysmiley » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:00 pm

I like all the bands except Bush, here's a run down

Pearl Jam from the Ashes of Green River and Mother Lovebone in 1990 or earlier

STP had a demo which was mostly a different style than Core. Core came out in 1992 and the vocal approach definitely came from Eddie. That's the only rip off I see. After that album Scott quit trying to be Eddie and was better for it. But to be fair lots of people ripped Eddies vocal style off for years around then.

Bush didn't form till after 1992 when Nirvana had already been around for quite a while and Nevermind hit. They completely ripped off and rode out the whole grunge movement till it died out in the late 90's. There were tons of bands going for that sound and doing it badly.

Pixies? I only hear Nirvana trying for that and Kirk admitted that.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#25 Post by Hokahey » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:07 pm

guysmiley wrote:I like all the bands except Bush, here's a run down

Pearl Jam from the Ashes of Green River and Mother Lovebone in 1990 or earlier

STP had a demo which was mostly a different style than Core. Core came out in 1992 and the vocal approach definitely came from Eddie. That's the only rip off I see. After that album Scott quit trying to be Eddie and was better for it. But to be fair lots of people ripped Eddies vocal style off for years around then.

Bush didn't form till after 1992 when Nirvana had already been around for quite a while and Nevermind hit. They completely ripped off and rode out the whole grunge movement till it died out in the late 90's. There were tons of bands going for that sound and doing it badly.

Pixies? I only hear Nirvana trying for that and Kirk admitted that.
:thumb: