Nickelback thank The Black Keys for dissing them

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
JOEinPHX

Re: Nickelback thank The Black Keys for dissing them

#26 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:15 pm

guysmiley wrote:

STP had a demo which was mostly a different style than Core.
Yes, i have it.
Core came out in 1992 and the vocal approach definitely came from Eddie.
No, the vocal approach came from Scott being a young vocalist, not having found his own thing yet, and just ripping off his hero Jim Morrison.

Until later of course when he started ripping off his other hero David Bowie.

But Vedder was the same way. Young vocalist still trying to find his voice, and ripped off his hero.... JIM MORRISON.
But to be fair lots of people ripped Eddies vocal style off for years around then.
i agree with that. Scott Stapp, Travis Dayofthenew, The guy from Seven Mary Three. For sure. Possibly. Unless of course they were all ripping off Morrison too and got a record deal because their Morrison impersonation sounded like Vedder's Morrison impersonation.

I still personally feel it all goes back to Morrison, and as i said earlier... Vedder was just the first on the scene, and wrote better songs.
Bush didn't form till after 1992 when Nirvana had already been around for quite a while and Nevermind hit.
Agreed, but they formed based around Gavin and Nigel's love of the pixies. Hence their sound.
They completely ripped off and rode out the whole grunge movement till it died out in the late 90's. There were tons of bands going for that sound and doing it badly.
The only changes in their sound came when Nigel left the band, and Gavin decided to add electronic elements to the music in his absence.
Pixies? I only hear Nirvana trying for that and Kirk admitted that.
Bush admitted it too.

Xizen47

#27 Post by Xizen47 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:24 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Pixies? I only hear Nirvana trying for that and Kirk admitted that.
Bush admitted it too.
You see,, Bush wanted to be Nirvana sooo bad, they even went so far as to list the Pixies as their #1 influence :hehe:

JOEinPHX

#28 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:57 pm

zing!

Kajicat

#29 Post by Kajicat » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:34 pm

Sixteen Stone is a damn fine record. I never saw Bush as a Nirvana ripoff. I think 6767 is on point here, along with his views on STP. :thumb: