Van Halen

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Pandemonium

Re: Van Halen

#251 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:35 pm

drwintercreeper wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:19 am
Panda, i love the way u write... any insights about vh’s last album? I have read many articles about a different kind of truth... loooovve that record and i know 7 songs date back to 70s demos.... are there any other songs they worked up but didn't record? Or do u have any insights about the dave demos around 2000?
The gestation of that album was around 2010 a couple years after they finished the 2007/2008 Roth reunion tour. Originally Eddie considered releasing the entire 1977 25 song demo recordings but claimed the sound or source quality wasn't good enough to release. At some point it was decided with Roth to select songs from those old demos that hadn't already been released on (mostly) the first two albums and re-record them as well as at least one unused demo from around 1984 (Blood And Fire) with mostly new lyrics for a new studio album. To be fair, this is something Van Halen did all the time even back in their prime - for example, "Mean Street" off the Fair Warning album came from a 1977 demo called Voodoo Queen and "House Of Pain" on the "1984" album was a 1977 demo as well.

It's also been theorized that they re-recorded the demos so they wouldn't have to pay Warner Bros royalties (WB paid for the original recording of the demos when VH was signed in late '77) as this album was released on Interscope. According to Wolfgang, there's nearly enough leftover songs to fill out another album.

Regarding the Roth/VH secret reunion in 2000, I believe at least "Honeybabysweetydoll" and possibly "As Is" came from the 4 or so songs they recorded in that short period. Honeybabysweetydoll comes in part from a electronica jam called Flex (which is a rip-off of The Lords Of Acid's "Crablouse") on Roth's utterly bizarre 2002 "No Holds Barred BBQ" promo video tape. The only 100% new song on that album is "Stay Frosty" which Roth brought in.

drwintercreeper

#252 Post by drwintercreeper » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:22 pm

Thanks, Panda. I am listening again to ADKOT and fuck me did they they reattach balls to the band. Glad I got to see Sam and Dave in 2002 in Kansas City and VH in St. Louis in 2008, both with my bro. Fantastic memories.

I miss seeing and playing shows. Fuck this year.

Pandemonium

#253 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:04 am

drwintercreeper wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:22 pm
Thanks, Panda. I am listening again to ADKOT and fuck me did they they reattach balls to the band. Glad I got to see Sam and Dave in 2002 in Kansas City and VH in St. Louis in 2008, both with my bro. Fantastic memories.

I miss seeing and playing shows. Fuck this year.
Yeah I hear ya. This will be my first year since 1977 that I'll go the whole calendar without seeing a single show.

clickie

#254 Post by clickie » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:51 pm

The first Van Halen record I bought with my own hard earned money was Diver Down. I played it quite a bit too because of that Pretty Woman cover and Dancing in the Street.

clickie

#255 Post by clickie » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:07 pm

I would imagine it was probably a disappointed for VH fans.

SR

#256 Post by SR » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:45 am

So, DLR's charms haven't escaped me. His confidence is inspiring and amusing. Then there's the Tokyo moments like in Ice Cream Man when "SPOTLIGHT, ASSHOLE...WAKE UP!" happens and, well, that's DLR

Pandemonium

#257 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:24 pm

The thing with Dave, everything he says and does is well thought out, even rehearsed beforehand. I remember back in '81 during the Fair Warning tour, Dave had this genuinely funny bit about how rock critics hated Van Halen but loved Elvis Costello... because they all looked like Elvis Costello. Great the first time, but I saw a 2nd show a few days later, same tour, same arena and Roth did the same spiel, exact same delivery. Even the best humor rarely retains it's punch the second or thirtieth time around. With Dave, if it gets a good reaction, that shtick goes into Dave's memory banks and will get recycled endlessly for years to come. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "Look at all the people here tonight" or (speaking to an audience member) "do that again, I'm'a gonna fuck your girlfriend!" It's like Ozzy with his "we love you all" bit.

SR

#258 Post by SR » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:03 am

I can't believe how much I LOVE this guy

chaos

#259 Post by chaos » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:20 pm

Didn't want to start a separate thread.

Oh my! :lol: :pop:
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/david-l ... m=referral

David Lee Roth Sends 18 Middle Fingers to Kiss’ Gene Simmons
Bryan Rolli
Published: August 20, 2021

David Lee Roth served up a succinct response on social media to Gene Simmons’ recent critiques of his performance style.

Kiss resumed their farewell tour earlier this week and announced a Las Vegas residency at Zappos Theater at Planet Hollywood that will run from December through February. Speaking to Rolling Stone this week, Simmons made clear that Roth will not be supporting the band on the remainder of its farewell tour as he had before the coronavirus pandemic.

“It bears noting that during Dave’s heyday, nobody did what he did,” Simmons told the magazine. “He was the ultimate frontman. Not [Robert] Plant, not Rod Stewart, nobody. He took being a frontman way beyond anything. And then, I don’t know what happened to him … something. And you get modern-day Dave. I prefer to remember Elvis Presley in his prime. Sneering lips, back in Memphis, you know, doing all that. I don’t want to think of bloated naked Elvis on the bathroom floor.”

Never one to shy away from a good social-media catfight, Roth updated his Instagram account with 18 identical black-and-white images of a child wearing sunglasses and extending his middle finger. The photos also include the text, “Roth to Simmons,” in case the message wasn't clear.

Simmons' Kiss bandmate Paul Stanley chimed in as well, opting not to take a side, instead rather focussing on Roth's legacy.

"I remember seeing him in the 70’s with Van Halen at MSG and thinking to myself 'There’s a new sheriff in town,'" Stanley explained via Twitter. "Just amazing what he had evolved into in a few short years. On stage he’s still Diamond Dave!"

Roth launched a Vegas residency in January 2020. He made it through three of the nine planned shows before postponing the run due to the pandemic.

Kiss, meanwhile, will continue touring North America through October with support from performance painter Garibaldi. The rest of the global trek is scheduled to run through July 2022.

Pandemonium

#260 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:01 pm

Roth has announced he is retiring after the string of shows he's doing in Las Vegas around the NY holiday.

https://www.vhnd.com/2021/10/01/david-l ... -retiring/

He also just released another song from the as-yet unreleased album he did with John 5 a few years ago.

SR

#261 Post by SR » Thu May 12, 2022 1:06 pm

Saw you dropped in Panda, and it reminded me. I read recently that DLR was having a hard time closing the deal on the lyrics to "I'll Wait". So, Ted Templeton reached out to Michael McDonald (TT also worked with the Doobies as I'm sure you're aware) and set up a meet between the two. MMD ended up co-writing the words. He said of it...something to the effect of "Of any song I've written, it's probably had the most airplay". But I am old enough to remember the millions of spins Minute by Minute and What a Fool Believes got decades ago.

True story?

Pandemonium

#262 Post by Pandemonium » Tue May 17, 2022 8:23 pm

SR wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 1:06 pm
Saw you dropped in Panda, and it reminded me. I read recently that DLR was having a hard time closing the deal on the lyrics to "I'll Wait". So, Ted Templeton reached out to Michael McDonald (TT also worked with the Doobies as I'm sure you're aware) and set up a meet between the two. MMD ended up co-writing the words. He said of it...something to the effect of "Of any song I've written, it's probably had the most airplay". But I am old enough to remember the millions of spins Minute by Minute and What a Fool Believes got decades ago.

True story?
Yes. I agree it seems McDonald should have received far more in airplay and royalties for any number of the numerous big singles throughout the Doobie Brother's career versus "I'll Wait" which was the least of the singles released from "1984." Additionally, on the original pressings of the "1984" album, McDonald did not get co-publishing credit which I believe McDonald sued for and got once the album was remastered for CD in 2001.

intertwoven

#263 Post by intertwoven » Wed May 18, 2022 12:28 pm

Talk of VH/TT/MMD calls to mind a classic YouTube "Yacht Rock" clip..

:lolol:

The "Michael Jackson" episode is probably my favorite of this little wacky series, and also has some VH content..

SR

#264 Post by SR » Thu May 19, 2022 4:23 am

Kenny Loggins keychain :lolol:

clickie

#265 Post by clickie » Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:39 am

I was watching that one show people come and jam with Sammy Hagar, this episode he had on John Cougar Melloncamp. So anyways John Cougar said "I'm old". And then Sammy i'm older than you.
I didn't realize Sammy is 74 years old.He's so energetic.

drwintercreeper

#266 Post by drwintercreeper » Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:24 am

Hey Panda!

You always have great Van Halen history … if u have time, what do u know about what happened in 1996 with Roth? I read it was a weird time at 5150 and the lyrics for “cant’t get this stuff no more” allude to that…. Revolving door of singers, Cherone was already hired by September. I want to know what else was on the tape that was given to Roth… were they all balance outtakes? Was ‘Me Wise’ recorded together? Those Roth songs are great. In an alternate reality where LA bands have their shit together, it would have been killer for that summer/fall Roth lineup to do a full album and then the legacy maybe doesn’t get shat on for a decade or more.

Thanks

Pandemonium

#267 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:53 pm

OK, grab a beer or three and sit back.......

In early 1996, Van Halen with Sammy Hagar had just gone through a really painful process of coming up with music for the Twister movie soundtrack. The writing was on the way for the past year or two that Hagar was not long for staying in the band. He and Eddie clashed over every stupid thing and soon after they managed to get one song ("Humans Being") and one piano instrumental that played over the credits for the movie, Eddie confronted Hagar over the phone about his role in the band and Hagar more or less said he wanted to be a solo artist again and thus, exit Sammy.

During early Summer '96, Warner Bros asked Van Halen to put together a single CD "Best Of" compilation featuring Roth and Hagar era tracks and include perhaps a few unreleased or new songs. The record company contacts both Hagar and Roth for their input and Dave calls Eddie and they reconnect on a personal level. In Eddie's words, "we connected on a personal level that we never did when he was originally in the band." So Eddie gets the idea "why not have Dave sing two new tracks for the Best Of?" Dave was onboard and the apparently spent days upon days sifting through various half finished songs, instrumentals, riffs, etc trying to find something that Dave liked and felt comfortable singing on. During this time producer Glenn Ballard and Desmond Child contributed to the process and eventually the put together two songs "Me Wise Magic" and "Can't Get This Stuff No More" which was an instrumental shuffle fleshed out a couple years earlier that Sammy rejected. During this process Eddie repeatedly made it clear that this project was a one-off thing and there was no guarantee Roth was back in the band full time, plus Eddie was going to take at least 6 months off to get his hip surgery in early '97.

Now right at the tail end of these few weeks after the Roths songs were finished, Eddie had connected with 3rd tier rock singer Mitch Malloy and after a couple weeks working together at Ed's home studio, Eddie offered Malloy the frontman job for Van Halen. Literally a couple days later Malloy is living in Ed's guest house watching the MTV thing go down. The original VH lineup comes onstage to present an award to Beck to rapturous applause and Roth is like someone who just did a pound of blow - he's gyrating all over the stage and hamming it up. Meanwhile, Malloys watching this on tv and knew he didn't stand a chance at being successful fronting Van Halen when the entire viewing audience is thinking "Dave's back in VH!" It only gets worse during the post show press conferences when Ed repeatedly says this is a one-off little project and keeps mentioning his upcoming hip surgery. After about the 3rd presser, Dave confronts Eddie and demands he stop making this about his "fuckin' hip." They almost come to blows. Party over.

By early September, Eddie had been introduced to former (and now current again) singer for Extreme through their manager who managed both bands at the time (convenient, hmm?). Cherone was hired, they recorded a epically awful album "VH3" and not even a decent tour could save the lineup. Just a few months into doing preliminary work on the follow-up to VH3, Gary Cherone and Van Halen amicably part ways.

At this point, things start to really fall apart. Ed finally gets his hip replacement surgery which was supposed to have been done before the VH3 album and tour. Recovering, Ed is seriously stung by the bad press and is back full time on drugs and drinking heavily. In 2000, the band secretly reunite with David Lee Roth and recorded several complete songs. The song "As Is" is supposedly one of the finished songs that later would up on the "Different Kind Of Truth" album. Whatever project this was going to be fell apart when as Dave put it "Lawyers got involved" and the project was abandoned.

At this point early in 2000, Eddie had the first of several major cancer scares, leading to a large portion of this tongue being removed and rounds of quasi-legal/legit experimental therapy for some time. During this time, the band dropped Warner Bros and all their business support staff. The band was rudderless and basically ceased to be a band in every sense of the word.

drwintercreeper

#268 Post by drwintercreeper » Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:43 am

Fantastic history lesson…… thank you thank you. As I have gotten older, I realized how sane and stable Roth is in comparison to the VH bros….. he seems much more content and not embittered, super well-traveled, the EMT thing, he saved all his money…

I had no idea Sammy wanted out in 96. I could understand his decision to leave in 04 though so it makes sense.

Is there any truth to a box set coming? I know the Hagar era vinyls dropped but I want scraps and demos, like music bank and cabinet o curiosities.

Thanks again for the fantastic info. Panda history time is as good as kindergarten story time. I learn so much

Hokahey
Site Admin

#269 Post by Hokahey » Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:27 am

I love how I don’t care about Van Halen but always read pandas posts about them.

drwintercreeper

#270 Post by drwintercreeper » Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:26 pm

Yea, serious good reading for a beer, or reefer, if that’s your thing.

Not to go off topic, but tonight was supposed to be the P4P Omaha show. Total bummer.

Pandemonium

#271 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:32 pm

drwintercreeper wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:43 am
Fantastic history lesson…… thank you thank you. As I have gotten older, I realized how sane and stable Roth is in comparison to the VH bros….. he seems much more content and not embittered, super well-traveled, the EMT thing, he saved all his money…

I had no idea Sammy wanted out in 96. I could understand his decision to leave in 04 though so it makes sense.

Is there any truth to a box set coming? I know the Hagar era vinyls dropped but I want scraps and demos, like music bank and cabinet o curiosities.
(snip)
At this time, there's no box set in the works. The two guys who would be most involved are Alex Van Halen and Eddie's son Wolfgang. Alex has become a hermit since his brother died and Wolfgang seems to have a weird, adversarial relationship with the band's online fanbase and often claims there's nothing really left in the "vaults."

Which is total bullshit.... Recently, about 4 hours of studio out-takes from 1977-1982 surfaced in excellent quality along with most of the pre-1st album demos also in best-ever quality. Also, the entire 1984 UK Donnington Monsters of Rock show has surfaced as a single 16mm silent camera pro shot from the stage paired with decent bootleg recorded audience audio. This big festival show was one of the last shows the original lineup of VH played near the end of the tour and you can kind of see the fractures between Roth and the band.

Here's a MegaUpload link to some of the demos, unreleased tracks, alt takes, etc that recently leaked. They are all MP3s so they'll download fast:

https://mega.nz/folder/TBVGCD7I#hIba-vnBRETwLVh1S209pQ

Hokahey
Site Admin

#272 Post by Hokahey » Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:03 pm

drwintercreeper wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:26 pm
Yea, serious good reading for a beer, or reefer, if that’s your thing.

Not to go off topic, but tonight was supposed to be the P4P Omaha show. Total bummer.
Yeah I was supposed to see Nation of Language in KC on Friday, P4P in Omaha Saturday, then the Chiefs game Sunday. Instead of what promised to be an incredible weekend I somehow wound up doing 0 of those things. Oh well. I have seen more concerts in the past year and a half than I have the last 10 years combined, and I go to most of the Chiefs games. I’ll live.

SR

#273 Post by SR » Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:56 am

Yes, good stuff...didn't I read more than once that Hagar left because of a new manager brought in who was somehow intimately related to one of the brothers? Hagar hated his vision and wanted to spend time with his new wife and kiddo?