Game of Thrones (HBO)

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Jasper

Re: Game of Thrones (HBO)

#141 Post by Jasper » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:27 am

chaos wrote:
crater wrote: One thing I was confused about, is I thought that Sansa left with the The Hound?
So did I. I was surprised to see her sitting at the ceremony/gathering.
I thought she left with him the first time I watched it - but I was a little drunk. When I watched it again, I could see that he walks out her door, and she remains in her chamber. She should have gone, but you could understand why she'd be scared to go with him. Also, since everyone thought Stannis was winning, she thought she'd be safe because Stannis knows she's a prisoner there, and her father supported Stannis' claim to the throne.

crater

#142 Post by crater » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:41 am

Jasper wrote: Why did they ignore the fat guy (if they did)?
They did the same thing during the first episode of the first season. They killed the two guys and left the third. He was the one that had his head cut off by Ned after he deserted.

I hope Sam does somehow survive.

Jasper

#143 Post by Jasper » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:39 am

crater wrote:
Jasper wrote: Why did they ignore the fat guy (if they did)?
They did the same thing during the first episode of the first season. They killed the two guys and left the third. He was the one that had his head cut off by Ned after he deserted.

I hope Sam does somehow survive.
I was thinking about why they didn't kill Sam. Where were the walkers were going? Were they headed towards the ranger camp on that cliff - the Fist of the Firstmen? What about the spearheads and stuff that those guys found? I wondered if they'd be able to use them against the walkers. Then I had the thought that Sam might be carrying them, or at least one of them. Maybe they have some protective power and that's why the walkers ignored him. :noclue:

The other interesting thing I remember was how Dany was going around the house of the undying. She went into a room that was a destroyed King's Landing throne room. It was snowing through the busted roof and the place was abandoned. Was that a premonition about what will happen when winter comes? Then she went through the tunnel that goes beyond the wall, and for whatever reason, Drogo was on the other side. The throne and Drogo and the baby were things she wanted, so that may have been temptation on the part of the warlock, but I don't know what the deal was with the throne room being destroyed, or her going north of the wall.

The OTHER thing I was thinking about was Margery (sp?) Tyrell offering herself to Joffrey. She wants to be queen, but wtf? Shouldn't Loras Tyrell (Renley's boyfriend) know that Renley wanted to destroy Joffrey, and that this desire was the main catalyst for Renley forming an army in the first place? Shouldn't Loras want to protect his sister from a sadistic king? Is Loras pulling a trick on the Lannisters, or is he really going to settle for being a Lannister bitch just to fight Stannis?
:blah: :bored:

chaos

#144 Post by chaos » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:49 am

I never noticed the likeness when I first watched the episode.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... -1.1096823
HBO pulling ‘Game of Thrones’ episode which featured likeness of former President George W. Bush on severed head
'We were deeply dismayed to see this and find it unacceptable, disrespectful and in very bad taste,' network says
BY ETHAN SACKS / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Saturday, June 16, 2012, 12:54 AM

Heads may yet roll over the controversy surrounding the use of a model of President George W. Bush's likeness for a decapitation victim on a spike in an episode of "Game of Thrones."

In the face of outrage from conservative critics, HBO announced Friday that it was pulling the episode in question - last year's season finale - from its rotation, as well as iTunes and HBO GO and froze all shipments of DVD box sets, until the offending scene could be edited out.

"We were deeply dismayed to see this and find it unacceptable, disrespectful and in very bad taste," the network said in a statement Friday. "We made this clear to the executive producers of the series, who apologized immediately for this careless mistake.

"We condemn it in the strongest possible terms and have halted all future shipments of the DVDs, removed it from our digital platforms and will edit the scene for all future airings on any distribution domestic or international."

The head, fitted with a long-haired wig, appears for a just a second impaled on a spike in last season's finale episode of the fantasy series, when sadistic king Joffrey shows off a line of severed heads to his bride to be - including her own father's.

The macabre cameo would have gone unnoticed if it wasn't mentioned in the commentary for the DVD of the first season, in which one of the showrunners mentions it. After an alert Reddit user flagged it Wednesday, the news spread across the Internet.

Several Republican politicians and conservative critics had rallied to arms, calling for a boycott of the show.

"If it were President Obama's head on a spike, Democrats and the media would howl with rage, and demand that "Game of Thrones" be removed from the air," said conservative blogger Lauren Thompson.

Showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss apologized within hours with a statement attempting to explain their executive decision, saying that the fake body parts used on the show are bought in bulk from suppliers.

"After the scene was already shot, someone pointed out that one of the heads looked like George W. Bush...In the DVD commentary, we mentioned this, though we should not have."

"We meant no disrespect to the former President and apologize if anything we said or did suggested otherwise."

Jasper

#145 Post by Jasper » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:28 pm

Started the second book yesterday. First one was really good, especially as things heated up. I like all of the extra information.

There are a few scenes which didn't fit in the series. These are some of them, which aren't really show spoilers for anyone who's seen all of th4e episodes, but I guess they might be book spoilers:

When the Wildlings find Bran in the woods, Robb doesn't kill as many of them alone, because his wolf comes out of the woods as well and brutally tears some of their intestines out and shit. Then it eats a good portion of one. :jasper:

When the other new recruits were to be made brothers of the Night's Watch, Sam was going to be left behind to have his ass beaten over and over in the yard until he was severely wounded or killed, but Jon speaks to the old maester and convinces him to save Sam by taking Sam on as his assistant (the maester is either mostly or completely blind, and both of his assistants at the time are illiterate).

Another thing was that when the dead man comes to life and Jon's wolf alerts him and he fights it and saves the Lord Commander, there is another dead man coming to life in another part of the Castle Black (they found two dead men, the two who had been with Benjen Stark's group of three) and it manages to kill four people. That scene isn't really shown in the book either - it's basically described to Jon after the fact.

Bran's dreams are more in-depth, and the crows talk to him while he's in a coma.

We actually see the battle that happens the night after Tyrion and Bronn and Shae are playing drinking games. Tyrion actually makes it into the battle, on horseback, and he even manages to kill one or two people, although at least one of them he basically kills by luck, accidentally causing the victim's horse to fall on him.

George R.R. Martin actually wrote the episode where Ned Stark dies. He changes some things from the book. For instance, Ned doesn't see Arya on the statue and tell Yoren to get her. Yoren finds her himself when she jumps down from the statue and makes a sloppy attempt to run towards the front with her sword. Later we find out that the reason Yoren is there at all is because a boy came to him and gave him money, and told him not to leave King's Landing yet, because Ned was going to take the black and go with him. It's left up to the reader to guess that the boy was probably sent by Varys.

The red comet shows up around the night that Dany puts Drogo on the funeral pyre, whereas it doesn't show up until the beginning of season two of the show, though season two pretty much picks up directly after that funeral scene.

The book has some brutal details. When Drogo is injured, his entire left nipple is lost. The night when Ser Jorah fights with the Dothraki outside of the tent where the witch is allegedly saving Drogo's life, Jorah has half of an ear sliced off.

Stannis is missing the whole book, just like the show, but it's implied that he's missing because he discovered the truth about Cersei and the Kingslayer, so he's already amassing an army and building a war fleet. (He normally sits on the king's small council and is master of ships). In the show it's not suggested that Stannis knows the truth until Ned sends a raven. Also, before he's killed, the former Hand, Jon Aryn, was planning on sending his son to be tutored at Stannis's home. It's suggested that this is because Jon Aryn and Stannis both know the truth. Jon Aryn's son is the sickly kid who's still breastfeeding way past what's normal. Once Jon Aryn dies, his wife (Catelyn Stark's sister) freaks out and takes the son back to their home and won't let him leave.

In one scene, Joffrey tells Sansa how stupid she is, and that if their first child is as stupid as her, he'll cut off Sansa's head and get a new wife. :lol:

Jasper

#146 Post by Jasper » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:04 am

:lolol:

chaos

#147 Post by chaos » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:42 am

Jasper wrote: Image
Nikolaj Coster-Waldau :love:

I am so glad that his character has not been killed off the show.

creep
Site Admin

#148 Post by creep » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:33 pm

i don't understand any of those pics. is it a "the wire" reference? probably since i haven't watched the wire. someday though.

creep
Site Admin

#149 Post by creep » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:20 pm

jasper has finally been revealed

kv

#150 Post by kv » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:40 pm

creep wrote:i don't understand any of those pics. is it a "the wire" reference? probably since i haven't watched the wire. someday though.
first few years are super great rest are really good...do it

Jasper

#151 Post by Jasper » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:42 am

creep wrote:i don't understand any of those pics. is it a "the wire" reference? probably since i haven't watched the wire. someday though.
Wait...you haven't watched The Wire? :yikes: Are you serious? Holy shit, creep. That's even more fucked up than kv not having watched Breaking Bad. The Wire is probably the single greatest tv drama ever made. What the hell is wrong with you?

I actually saw the below video yesterday. I was laughing my ass off, especially at his Varys. I do think I might be able to do a better ser Jorah. Not sure.
creep wrote:jasper has finally been revealed

perkana

#152 Post by perkana » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:17 am

Guess you've already seen this Funny or Die video...
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/674341 ... of-thrones

creep
Site Admin

#153 Post by creep » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:06 am

Jasper wrote: Wait...you haven't watched The Wire? :yikes: Are you serious? Holy shit, creep. That's even more fucked up than kv not having watched Breaking Bad. The Wire is probably the single greatest tv drama ever made. What the hell is wrong with you?
i know i will like it but i am just waiting for the right time to start. i'm sort of obsessive about these things so once i start i know it will be hours in front of the tv. this winter will be a good time to start.

Xizen47

#154 Post by Xizen47 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:16 pm

Jasper wrote: The Wire is probably the single greatest tv drama ever made.
:nod:

That show's in a league of its own. Perfect from start to finish.

perkana

#155 Post by perkana » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:03 am

Guess you all know, but I read this early this morning...
@GameOfThrones
One last treat: ‪#GameofThrones‬ season 3 will premiere 3/31/13.

Jasper

#156 Post by Jasper » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:19 pm

Deleted scene from season one, cut for time and pacing.

Brandon Stark, Ned Stark's older brother and Catelyn Tully's original betrothed, being strangled in the throne room on the orders of Aerys II Targaryen, the Mad King. The Mad King also burned Ned Stark's father alive in the throne room.

This is the man who played the Mad King. He is Dany's father (Grandfather of Dragons?) and the man whose murder earned Jaime Lannister the title of "Kingslayer."

kv

#157 Post by kv » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:46 pm

lol i worry about you man...if this show is ever cancelled you are gonna snap i fear

Jasper

#158 Post by Jasper » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:04 am

I was pretty annoyed when they canceled Deadwood and Carnivale before their stories could be finished, but I lived. At least if they canceled this show, the books would still be there, and I'd be free to read them instead of holding back because I don't want show spoilers.

It's HBO's 3rd-most highly rated show ever, so it's unlikely to get canceled any time soon, but since it's going to take something like 8-12 seasons total, yeah, there's a possibility that the plug could get pulled.

Hopefully they've got some kind of contract where if HBO wants to cancel it, the producers are allowed to take it to a different station, like Starz or what have you. i doubt it, but I hope so.

How many seasons did The Sopranos have, about 9? And that's with huge time gaps between some of them. Wasn't there some break that was two years or more? I don't see anything like that happening with GoT, so they've got a real chance to finish it if they keep it good.

creep
Site Admin

#159 Post by creep » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:09 am

Jasper wrote:I was pretty annoyed when they canceled Deadwood and Carnivale before their stories could be finished, but I lived. At least if they canceled this show, the books would still be there, and I'd be free to read them instead of holding back because I don't want show spoilers.

It's HBO's 3rd-most highly rated show ever, so it's unlikely to get canceled any time soon, but since it's going to take something like 8-12 seasons total, yeah, there's a possibility that the plug could get pulled.

Hopefully they've got some kind of contract where if HBO wants to cancel it, the producers are allowed to take it to a different station, like Starz or what have you. i doubt it, but I hope so.

How many seasons did The Sopranos have, about 9? And that's with huge time gaps between some of them. Wasn't there some break that was two years or more? I don't see anything like that happening with GoT, so they've got a real chance to finish it if they keep it good.
the problem with game of thrones is that it is so expensive to produce. it's only going to get more expensive over time. they are also stuck to the story so if a main actor leaves the show they can't just kill him off. i just can't see vern troyer as tyrion. it will be hard to keep it together.

Jasper

#160 Post by Jasper » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:06 am

HBO is in a good position right now, especially considering the onslaught of shows from Starz and AMC and the like. GoT is a big part of that. They didn't really used to have that competition, so they are happy they're doing so well now. The show is making them money, and they increased the budget 15% in the season just for that big battle. They put money into it and they get money out of it. If it's like The Sopronos, or that show with the sluts in NY, then it will just keep giving back the money for years and years. If people somehow lose interest, then they'll drop it without a second thought. Viewership has been steadily climbing, and it's kind of a show that you have to invest some mental power into to keep things sorted out. If you can get people to invest in something like that, then they'll stay around to see what happens. Look at Lost, even when it went to shit people seemed to stay with it. GoT actually has a conclusion figured out.

Look at this shit from wikipedia:

Game of Thrones: Viewers per episode (in thousands)
First airings only. Repeats and On-Demand aren't counted here.
Blue = season 1 ratings
Red = season 2 ratings
(That big dip in season two is Labor Day weekend)

Jasper

#161 Post by Jasper » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:00 am

Not-so-sublte attempt to snag GoT fans with this Silent Hill 3D vidya game flick. I don't even know if there are more of these movies or what. Doubt I'll watch it, but it might be nice to see bastard and son together again. Maybe Ned and Jon Snow can finally have that talk about Jon's mother.

Jasper

#162 Post by Jasper » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:13 pm

The night is dark and full of...Ned?
Ned, wtf are you doing with that crazy bitch?

Something else related and worth a watch:

creep
Site Admin

#163 Post by creep » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:25 pm

sorry for posting this

chaos

#164 Post by chaos » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:18 pm

:lol:

kv

#165 Post by kv » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:44 pm

don't be sorry it's amazing..thing spread like wildfire had soo many people send me that