Game of Thrones (HBO)

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
crater

Re: Game of Thrones (HBO)

#61 Post by crater » Sun May 06, 2012 7:07 pm

There was a lot going on in this episode, so I need to watch it a few more times to understand it all

A couple things I can comment on

1. The Arya/assassin scene and then the death of the person she asked to be killed. Very cool and I laughed at him falling through the doorway.
2. Finally seeing that wild woman naked. I was hoping she would at some point during the series.

creep
Site Admin

#62 Post by creep » Sun May 06, 2012 7:17 pm

a lot of shit went down tonight....pretty great episode. tonight was pretty much the only time i said to myself "that would never happen". it was the typical scene that happens all the times in movies when that bastard kid captured that girl and they all decided to leave him alone to kill her. of course he doesn't kill her.

so who do you think stole the dragons? the guy that is in love with her wasn't there in the end so maybe it's him?

Jasper

#63 Post by Jasper » Mon May 07, 2012 12:05 am

creep wrote:tonight was pretty much the only time i said to myself "that would never happen". it was the typical scene that happens all the times in movies when that bastard kid captured that girl and they all decided to leave him alone to kill her. of course he doesn't kill her.
That was my exact thought at that moment.

I don't know who stole the dragons. I doubt it was the rich guy, but you never know. Could be the weirdo magicians. They foreshadowed the dragon theft pretty clearly, so it wasn't really a surprise.

Theon Greyjoy is such a little fucker. I was so hoping that the girl was going to slit his fucking throat when he was asleep in bed. At least she offed one of them. The Iron Islanders are real assholes.

creep
Site Admin

#64 Post by creep » Mon May 07, 2012 12:10 am

Jasper wrote:
creep wrote:tonight was pretty much the only time i said to myself "that would never happen". it was the typical scene that happens all the times in movies when that bastard kid captured that girl and they all decided to leave him alone to kill her. of course he doesn't kill her.
That was my exact thought at that moment.

I don't know who stole the dragons. I doubt it was the rich guy, but you never know. Could be the weirdo magicians. They foreshadowed the dragon theft pretty clearly, so it wasn't really a surprise.

Theon Greyjoy is such a little fucker. I was so hoping that the girl was going to slit his fucking throat when he was asleep in bed. At least she offed one of them. The Iron Islanders are real assholes.
i guess i should have clarified which guy that is in love with her. i'm thinking maybe this guy??

Jasper

#65 Post by Jasper » Mon May 07, 2012 12:35 am

Jorra Mormont (or however it's spelled)? I seriously doubt that. I don't know if he's in love with her either, but he could be. I can't see him ever doing anything like that. You know his father is Lord Commander, right? That's John Snow's boss. John Snow is Ned Stark's bastard with the wolf up north of the wall. You know the wall, right? It's that big...wall. :lol:

Jasper

#66 Post by Jasper » Mon May 07, 2012 11:00 pm

1:35. That little fucking worm. Notice the guy he beheads, poorly, Ser Rodrik Cassel, is standing close by. You get the feeling Theon Greyjoy is going to be kept around for some big character arc, but I'd like to see Robb take his head, maybe his balls first, and feed him to his direwolf. If that doesn't work, maybe Arya can send Jocanocka (or however it's spelled) to dispatch the lying little fucker.

(edit)

Well, fuck me, apparently it's spelled Jaqen H'ghar. Commit that to memory, creep. :lol:
P.S. Anybody notice that this guy looks slightly like Oz?

perkana

#67 Post by perkana » Fri May 11, 2012 6:56 am

yup, there is a gallery for GOT art...
http://gameofthrones.tumblr.com/
:love:

Jasper

#68 Post by Jasper » Sun May 13, 2012 7:41 am

You have a crush on Khaleesi, Perkana? :agree:

I've got some questions for tonight and some wild speculation.

I'm wondering if Jon Snow's going to be found by his friend's, or if he's somehow going to end up as part of the big army that Mance, the spoken-of "king beyond the wall," is building up. I've also wondered if that's what happened to Benjen Stark, Jon Snow's uncle. Mance is an ex-ranger, so maybe he could recruit people that way, if he's gearing up to fight white walkers, or whatever. Somebody has to do it. Mance could also be getting ready to march on the wall, which is the other reason the night's watch guys went up there to investigate (aside from looking for Benjen Stark). I'm also kind of wondering how Jon Snow's wolf, Ghost, is going to figure into things. Anyway, all of that on-location shooting they do for the place beyond the wall is incredible.

My other big question is who stole the dragons. Of the real candidates, it seems like it could be:
A. The fat spice trading guy who acts like a condescending prick.
B. The weirdo magician guys.
C. The richest man in Karth or Quarth, or however it's spelled. (Doesn't seem as likely, since all his servants/guards got slaughtered, and he's still trying to get Daenerys to marry him, but you never know).

I really don't think Ser Jorra Mormont (the guy creep says might be in love with Daenerys Targaryen) did it, but it could have been anybody, I guess.

We haven't seen Stannis in a while, so I bet we see him tonight. I'm wondering when exactly they're going to arrive at King's Landing. There are only four episodes left in the season, I think, so it's gotta be soon. I wonder what Tyrion is doing with all of that wildfire shit the old guys are making and putting in all the jars. I guess we'll find that out soon as well. I also wonder what happened to the smoke demon that killed Renley. It's still gotta be around somewhere. Seems likely that Stannis will pay for unleashing that thing, as he was warned by Ser Davos (his knight and adviser who witnessed the thing getting born).

Do I sound excited? Hell yeah I'm excited. :yeay:

Jasper

#69 Post by Jasper » Sun May 13, 2012 9:51 am

Jasper wrote:I'm wondering if Jon Snow's going to be found by his friend's, or
"Friend's"?! Dammit! :banghead:

Anyways, I just came by to drop off this Benjen Stark refresher. Plus it's got poor dead Yoren joking with Tryion, so it's pretty awesome.

perkana

#70 Post by perkana » Sun May 13, 2012 10:25 am

Jasper wrote:You have a crush on Khaleesi, Perkana? :agree:
Yeah...I would go gay for her :love:
And I have a crush on the little guy too...he's hot :agree:

creep
Site Admin

#71 Post by creep » Sun May 13, 2012 7:46 pm

Jasper wrote: I've also wondered if that's what happened to Benjen Stark, Jon Snow's uncle. Mance is an ex-ranger, so maybe he could recruit people that way, if he's gearing up to fight white walkers, or whatever. Somebody has to do it. Mance could also be getting ready to march on the wall, which is the other reason the night's watch guys went up there to investigate (aside from looking for Benjen Stark)
you might be on to something here. after tonight i'm willing to bet benjen is with those guys that captured jon snow.
Jasper wrote:(the guy creep says might be in love with Daenerys Targaryen)
i thought it was obvious that he is in love with her. tonight's episode just reinforces that.

creep
Site Admin

#72 Post by creep » Sun May 13, 2012 7:46 pm

perkana wrote:
Jasper wrote:You have a crush on Khaleesi, Perkana? :agree:
Yeah...I would go gay for her :love:
:boner:

Jasper

#73 Post by Jasper » Sun May 13, 2012 11:52 pm

creep wrote:
Jasper wrote: I've also wondered if that's what happened to Benjen Stark, Jon Snow's uncle. Mance is an ex-ranger, so maybe he could recruit people that way, if he's gearing up to fight white walkers, or whatever. Somebody has to do it. Mance could also be getting ready to march on the wall, which is the other reason the night's watch guys went up there to investigate (aside from looking for Benjen Stark)
you might be on to something here. after tonight i'm willing to bet benjen is with those guys that captured jon snow.
Jasper wrote:(the guy creep says might be in love with Daenerys Targaryen)
i thought it was obvious that he is in love with her. tonight's episode just reinforces that.
Yeah, he seems to be in love with her. I guess the big guy saying that was foreshadowing this. I feel a little dense for minimizing the chances that that guy stole the dragons merely because his servants were killed. The servant-killing seemed designed to throw us off a bit. At least I didn't write him off completely.

The following isn't a spoiler, I guess, but it's just my guess which I'm sure is correct:
I think it's pretty obvious that the bodies shown at the end were not the Starks, but rather the orphans that Bran sent up to help out that sheep-herder in a previous episode. That's still royally fucked up. The fact that he is obviously uncomfortable doing some of these evil deeds makes me wonder if there's going to be some Theon redemption narrative. I kind of hope not, because I really wanna see that character's head roll - literally.

I wonder what Lady Stark is going to do to the King-slayer with Brienne's sword. Maybe she'll send his ear to Cersei.

creep
Site Admin

#74 Post by creep » Mon May 14, 2012 5:16 am

Jasper wrote: The following isn't a spoiler, I guess, but it's just my guess which I'm sure is correct:
I think it's pretty obvious that the bodies shown at the end were not the Starks, but rather the orphans that Bran sent up to help out that sheep-herder in a previous episode. That's still royally fucked up. The fact that he is obviously uncomfortable doing some of these evil deeds makes me wonder if there's going to be some Theon redemption narrative. I kind of hope not, because I really wanna see that character's head roll - literally.
that's what i thought.

Jasper

#75 Post by Jasper » Tue May 15, 2012 5:28 am

I stumbled upon something interesting.

I was looking up the differences between crows and ravens, (they are close relatives, ravens essentially being gigantic crows) and I found this:
Brân the Blessed (Welsh: Bendigeidfran or Brân Fendigaidd, literally "Blessed Raven") is a giant and king of Britain in Welsh mythology. He appears in several of the Welsh Triads (....) The name "Brân" translates from Welsh as "Raven".
I thought that was kind of interesting, and must have something to do with the fact that Bran Stark dreams of ravens, which seem to tell him the future. I looked this up on the Game of Thrones wiki:

Season 1:

The (three-eyed) raven appears to Bran Stark multiple times in his dreams. It appears as Bran is about to fire an arrow and causes him to stop before he fires. The raven lands on the head of a direwolf statue and cries once, and then flies towards the Stark family crypt.

Season 2:

Bran asks Osha about the significance of the three-eyed raven but she does not divulge anything.

In the books:

In the Song of Ice and Fire novels, the bird is a three-eyed crow rather than a raven. The crow is more active in Bran's dreams; it helps him wake from his coma.
One other thing I found was that crows act as messengers in Norse mythology, which is interesting as they act as messengers in Game of Thrones:
In Norse mythology, Huginn and Muninn are a pair of ravens that fly all over the world, Midgard, and bring the god Odin information.

Jasper

#76 Post by Jasper » Sun May 20, 2012 8:40 pm

That was definitely the calm-before-the-storm episode. Now shit's gonna hit the fan.

If we know anything from our previous experiences, it's that people are going to die. I have no idea who it will be, but, aside from the obvious soldiers and bystanders, it seems like a safe bet that some familiar character(s) won't survive. I don't really have any guesses. I hope it's not Tywin Lannister, because he is by far the best villain.

I know it won't be Jon Snow, because they're obviously setting up a longer character arc for him, what with the captivity and the redhead, and the fact that they still haven't shown what happened to Benjen Stark. The ranger Jon Snow was with probably isn't long for this world. Remember when he asked the redhead (it's Egritte or something) what they'd do if they caught him, and she said they'd cut off his head if they were feeling kind.

I was confused about the redheaded whore. Why did they think she was Tyrion's whore, and why the fuck was she going along with it? :hs:

Finally, I wonder what the spearheads and things were under that stone marker. Maybe they're good for killing white walkers or something.

creep
Site Admin

#77 Post by creep » Mon May 21, 2012 5:51 pm

Jasper wrote:
I was confused about the redheaded whore. Why did they think she was Tyrion's whore, and why the fuck was she going along with it? :hs:
i'm sure she denied it as she was getting the shit beat out of her as would the real one. she probably thought her only way out was to go along with tyrion. :noclue:
Jasper wrote:
:hs:

Finally, I wonder what the spearheads and things were under that stone marker. Maybe they're good for killing white walkers or something.
that's seems to be the obvious guess. that's what i thought.

Jasper

#78 Post by Jasper » Mon May 21, 2012 9:29 pm

Well, Cersei chides Tyrion about the red-headed whore having a "Lannister lion necklace," saying that he shouldn't have been so obvious. I don't know what to make of that. Why would she have such a thing? I think Tyrion fucked her in Winterfell (first or second episode of season one), and she was recently in Joffrey's bedroom...those are the only Lannister connections I can think of. I hope they make some sense of that.

A weird thing I noticed, was that they replaced the actor who played The Mountain, Gregor Clegane (The Hound's brother who burnt The Hound's face when they were kids, as exolained by Littlefinger to Sansa in season one). Last week Tywin talked to some big guy, telling him to torch villages and such. This last episode had him address the same big guy as Clegane (he told Arya to keep him sober), so I looked it up, and sure enough, the actor who played the Mountain in season one had a schedule conflict (he's in the upcoming Hobbit movies, and was in the Spartacus tv series, and the Hobbit's schedule changed). The guys look nothing alike, but they're both big and scary.

Old Gregor:

New Gregor:

Lastly, the only good guess I can come up with for someone dying is Joffrey. Either that or Stannis and/or Stannis's knight. Somebody somewhat important on at least one side of that impending battle has to croak, right? If they kill off Tyrion's sellsword, Bronn, (which I don't see happening) I will be so pissed. Also, I guess the Lannisters and Starks will be battling at around the same time, so someone could get knocked off there as well.

creep
Site Admin

#79 Post by creep » Mon May 21, 2012 9:37 pm

it's impressive/creepy how much you notice/know about the show. sometimes i'm a little lost watching it. :dunce:

wally

#80 Post by wally » Tue May 22, 2012 8:22 am

Tyrrion's whore was Ros. you are right that he fucked her in Winterfell.

i think the weapons will be useful in fighting dragons. but maybe that's too obvious.

Jasper

#81 Post by Jasper » Tue May 22, 2012 2:08 pm

creep wrote:it's impressive/creepy how much you notice/know about the show. sometimes i'm a little lost watching it. :dunce:
Well, I think the main thing is that I don't suffer from the infliction that you have where I can't understand British speech. I also got in the habit, this season, of watching episodes twice, or even three times if I felt like it. Lastly, if I'm not clear on who somebody is, I just read their entry here, http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Gam ... rones_Wiki , as that doesn't have any spoilers that haven't happened yet on the show.
wally wrote:Tyrrion's whore was Ros. you are right that he fucked her in Winterfell.

i think the weapons will be useful in fighting dragons. but maybe that's too obvious.
I think they might be for fighting northern creatures, not dragons. They called it "dragon's glass," so I took that to perhaps mean that the glass was forged by dragon breath. That's the same thing I thought someone said about Valyrian steel - that it was forged by dragon breath, but I looked in the wiki and there's no reference to dragons. :hs: I could have sworn somebody said that in the first season. :noclue: I guess "dragon's glass" could mean that it's for fighting dragons, but I assumed it was for fighting something associated w/ the north, like white walkers.

kv

#82 Post by kv » Tue May 22, 2012 2:11 pm

i love this thread...you guys are crazy i watch the show then in between episodes i wait for the next show you guys are nuts over every detail

creep
Site Admin

#83 Post by creep » Tue May 22, 2012 2:48 pm

kv wrote:i love this thread...you guys are crazy i watch the show then in between episodes i wait for the next show you guys are nuts over every detail
same could be said about the nba and you. i'm just multidimensional and shit. sports and geeky tv programs.

wally

#84 Post by wally » Tue May 22, 2012 3:06 pm

could be, but fire is pretty effective at killing walkers.
maybe with dragon glass weapons you don't have to burn the bodies to kill them or something.

Jasper

#85 Post by Jasper » Sun May 27, 2012 2:32 pm

I am ready. :rockon:

Anybody have any last guesses as to who will die in the last two episodes of the season? Some possibilities:

Joffrey (for obvious reasons)
Stannis (and/or Davos - you have to imagine Stannis will suffer in some way for the Lord of Light business)
The Halfhand (the ranger who is captive with Jon Snow - this seems like a very likely death)*
Jorah (possible, because he is taking Daenerys to "the House of the Undying")
Theon (unlikely, but it's not like he doesn't have it coming)
Robb (seems too early in his story to off him, but who knows)
Tywin Lannister (he was riding off to attack Robb, I think, so it's possible, but I hope not because that actor/character is great)

*If Jon Snow is going to try to get into the Wildling army as a spy/saboteur, then they could really test him by making him execute the Halfhand.

Finally, why is Catelyn Stark so impulsive? She kidnaps the innocent Tyrion Lannister in the first season, then she releases the guilty Kingslayer in the second season. Why would releasing him make any sense? As soon as he made his way back to King's Landing, the Lannisters would have less of a reason to keep Sansa alive. :hs:

Speaking of Catelyn Stark, I was looking at some paintings, and I stumbled upon this one. It's from 1883: