Game of Thrones (HBO)

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
perkana

Re: Game of Thrones (HBO)

#121 Post by perkana » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:38 pm

That was the only episode I couldn't watch (file missing or something like that)...I watched until episode 7, didn't want to make me sick of it before the finale...I understand it better now, know who is who. Thank you Jasper. You know how to make a geek happy :wink:

creep
Site Admin

#122 Post by creep » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:43 pm

Jasper wrote: Anyway, think there are going to be any big deaths tonight? I have a hard time imagining anybody in particular dying. Then again, this is the author who killed off Drogo, when I was sure he was going to invade King's Landing, and he killed King Robert and then killed the main protagonist of the fucking story, for fuck's sake, so he could kill anybody at any time.

It seems like if Joffrey was gonna get iced this season, it would have happened in last week's episode, and the same goes for anyone else who was in King's Landing, defending it, or trying to invade it. There is the Halfhand up north, captive with Jon Snow. That guy can't be long for this world. I guess Ser Jorah could get killed, since he's taking Daenerys to the house of the undying. Those are my only guesses.
you keep throwing out that halfhand guy getting killed. come on he is a nobody. grow some balls and pick a real character.

my money is on theon

Jasper

#123 Post by Jasper » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:33 pm

perkana wrote:That was the only episode I couldn't watch (file missing or something like that)...I watched until episode 7, didn't want to make me sick of it before the finale...I understand it better now, know who is who. Thank you Jasper. You know how to make a geek happy :wink:
Let me know which episode was missing and I'll grab another link. They've been really aggressive with the takedown orders for this show.
creep wrote:you keep throwing out that halfhand guy getting killed. come on he is a nobody. grow some balls and pick a real character.

my money is on theon
Well, shit, what could possibly save that Halfhand guy? Only thing is if the other Night Watch guys and/or Jon's missing dog wolf attack that group before they get to the main wildling army.

Theon, I dunno, but if he doesn't die, I hope he at least gets the living shit beat out of him.

I threw Jorah's name out there. Maybe he's unlikely he'd die, but I think it's a real possibility.

Whatever happens, it's gonna suck having a nine month cliffhanger. :no:

kv

#124 Post by kv » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:03 pm

yeah i wish more shows did what the walking dead did with a split season

crater

#125 Post by crater » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:13 pm

I enjoyed that quite a bit

Little dragons :rockon:

Looks like we found out what happened to Benjen :yikes:

One thing I was confused about, is I thought that Sansa left with the The Hound?

Going to watch it again right now
Last edited by crater on Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

creep
Site Admin

#126 Post by creep » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:17 pm

Jasper wrote:
perkana wrote:That was the only episode I couldn't watch (file missing or something like that)...I watched until episode 7, didn't want to make me sick of it before the finale...I understand it better now, know who is who. Thank you Jasper. You know how to make a geek happy :wink:
Let me know which episode was missing and I'll grab another link. They've been really aggressive with the takedown orders for this show.
creep wrote:you keep throwing out that halfhand guy getting killed. come on he is a nobody. grow some balls and pick a real character.

my money is on theon
Well, shit, what could possibly save that Halfhand guy? Only thing is if the other Night Watch guys and/or Jon's missing dog wolf attack that group before they get to the main wildling army.

Theon, I dunno, but if he doesn't die, I hope he at least gets the living shit beat out of him.

I threw Jorah's name out there. Maybe he's unlikely he'd die, but I think it's a real possibility.
:lol: alright jasper wins. i was pretty close....when they put the hood over his head i thought for sure we would see him die.

when the halfhand guy was fighting with jon snow i thought for sure they were just faking it and were going to attack and escape.

i knew i would be a little let down tonight. just too much to wrap up in an hour. i'm not thrilled that it looks like it's going to be a bunch of white walker stuff next season. i'm not a fan of the supernatural shit. i like to keep it somewhat believable.

anyway...sad it's gone. six weeks to breaking bad though.

creep
Site Admin

#127 Post by creep » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:20 pm

crater wrote: Looks like we found out what happened to Benjen :yikes:
i didn't catch that until you mentioned it. i was wondering who the fuck that was.

crater

#128 Post by crater » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:20 pm

creep wrote: i'm not a fan of the supernatural shit.
I'm the exact opposite.

If I have any complaint about this season, is that there wasn't more of it.

kv

#129 Post by kv » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:05 pm

i'm with creep and was happy this season wasn't dragons dragons everywhere with white walkers galore...i am very much surprised they didn't really have any of either till the last episode though...kinda lame for people into it that only in the season finales do they show either

creep
Site Admin

#130 Post by creep » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:07 pm

creep wrote:
crater wrote: Looks like we found out what happened to Benjen :yikes:
i didn't catch that until you mentioned it. i was wondering who the fuck that was.
ok what am i missing? i thought you were saying coin dude was really benjen but i just watched it again and it isn't him. like jasper said i think he is the king beyond the wall.

crater

#131 Post by crater » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:18 pm

creep wrote: i thought you were saying coin dude was really benjen but i just watched it again and it isn't him.
No, I meant turned into a White Walker
like jasper said i think he is the king beyond the wall.
Well .. now that I think about it. It did seem of some importance that once the Wildling people knew that Jon Snow was the bastard of Ned Stark, that Mance Rayder would want to talk with him.

perkana

#132 Post by perkana » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:26 pm

oh fuck me, I could finally watch it. I liked everything, too bad the old dude got killed (sorry, have to watch more of the series...it reminds me a bit of LOTR, with so many names, I'm definitely going to read the books)
@Jasper it was only the second episode that I couldn't watch (the link that is different from the rest) Thank you in advance... :tiphat:

Jasper

#133 Post by Jasper » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:34 pm

A lot of stuff happened in a very short time. I don't know if I saw Benjen or not, but if I did, I didn't realize it was him. I thought he was either dead or with the king beyond the wall (Benjen not king beyond the wall himself). Why did they ignore the fat guy (if they did)? Maybe his lack of physical power made him useless as a zombie warrior. For a minute it felt like The Walking Dead was invading GoT.

That was some heavy shit when Lewin Maester died, and it's especially unfortunate that he had to go down protecting Theon Greyjoy. Those Iron Islanders are fucking assholes.

I was pretty close with what would happen to the Halfhand. I thought they might make Jon Snow kill him, but they were fooled, because the Halfhand clearly sacrificed himself so that Jon Snow could win the wildling's trust and be the Night's Watch man on the inside.

Anyway, I don't think they'll go overboard on the magic and such in the next season. They seem to have a good notion that less is more.

Finally, was Jaqen H'ghar actually Arya's dancing master all along??? :confused:
creep wrote:anyway...sad it's gone. six weeks to breaking bad though.
Oh shit, really? Nice. :rockon: All is not lost...

kv

#134 Post by kv » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:44 pm

Jasper wrote:Finally, was Jaqen H'ghar actually Arya's dancing master all along??? :confused:
ahhhh may well be onto something there

creep
Site Admin

#135 Post by creep » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:45 pm

Jasper wrote: That was some heavy shit when Lewin Maester died, and it's especially unfortunate that he had to go down protecting Theon Greyjoy. Those Iron Islanders are fucking assholes.
that didn't affect me at all. he never really made that much of an impression on me so seeing him die was no big deal.

perkana

#136 Post by perkana » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:52 pm

you don't have no heart creep, maybe it's because I watched 7 episodes in a row, but he was awesome

perkana

#137 Post by perkana » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:53 pm

the scene with Khal Drogo and the baby was sweet, but Khal :boobs:
Last edited by perkana on Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jasper

#138 Post by Jasper » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:54 pm

perkana wrote:you don't have no heart creep, maybe it's because I watched 7 episodes in a row, but he was awesome
Knowing creep he didn't even recognize the guy. :lol:
perkana wrote:the scene with Khal Drogo and the baby was sweet, but Khal :boobs:
I was so glad that she fried the warlock right away, and didn't have to be in some protracted situation with that guy and the "king."

chaos

#139 Post by chaos » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:10 am

I saw this show for the first time Saturday. I got sucked into the season 2 marathon and became hooked. It reminded me a little of Saga of the Völsungs. I need to watch season 1 some time before next season in order for some of the plot lines to become clearer. I was confused when the fire priestess gave birth to the black smoke/spirit; I thought she was carrying Staniss's child. Great show - although I was disappointed with tonight's finale, especially when compared to the episode that preceded it.
Last edited by chaos on Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

chaos

#140 Post by chaos » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:12 am

crater wrote: One thing I was confused about, is I thought that Sansa left with the The Hound?
So did I. I was surprised to see her sitting at the ceremony/gathering.

Jasper

#141 Post by Jasper » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:27 am

chaos wrote:
crater wrote: One thing I was confused about, is I thought that Sansa left with the The Hound?
So did I. I was surprised to see her sitting at the ceremony/gathering.
I thought she left with him the first time I watched it - but I was a little drunk. When I watched it again, I could see that he walks out her door, and she remains in her chamber. She should have gone, but you could understand why she'd be scared to go with him. Also, since everyone thought Stannis was winning, she thought she'd be safe because Stannis knows she's a prisoner there, and her father supported Stannis' claim to the throne.

crater

#142 Post by crater » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:41 am

Jasper wrote: Why did they ignore the fat guy (if they did)?
They did the same thing during the first episode of the first season. They killed the two guys and left the third. He was the one that had his head cut off by Ned after he deserted.

I hope Sam does somehow survive.

Jasper

#143 Post by Jasper » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:39 am

crater wrote:
Jasper wrote: Why did they ignore the fat guy (if they did)?
They did the same thing during the first episode of the first season. They killed the two guys and left the third. He was the one that had his head cut off by Ned after he deserted.

I hope Sam does somehow survive.
I was thinking about why they didn't kill Sam. Where were the walkers were going? Were they headed towards the ranger camp on that cliff - the Fist of the Firstmen? What about the spearheads and stuff that those guys found? I wondered if they'd be able to use them against the walkers. Then I had the thought that Sam might be carrying them, or at least one of them. Maybe they have some protective power and that's why the walkers ignored him. :noclue:

The other interesting thing I remember was how Dany was going around the house of the undying. She went into a room that was a destroyed King's Landing throne room. It was snowing through the busted roof and the place was abandoned. Was that a premonition about what will happen when winter comes? Then she went through the tunnel that goes beyond the wall, and for whatever reason, Drogo was on the other side. The throne and Drogo and the baby were things she wanted, so that may have been temptation on the part of the warlock, but I don't know what the deal was with the throne room being destroyed, or her going north of the wall.

The OTHER thing I was thinking about was Margery (sp?) Tyrell offering herself to Joffrey. She wants to be queen, but wtf? Shouldn't Loras Tyrell (Renley's boyfriend) know that Renley wanted to destroy Joffrey, and that this desire was the main catalyst for Renley forming an army in the first place? Shouldn't Loras want to protect his sister from a sadistic king? Is Loras pulling a trick on the Lannisters, or is he really going to settle for being a Lannister bitch just to fight Stannis?
:blah: :bored:

chaos

#144 Post by chaos » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:49 am

I never noticed the likeness when I first watched the episode.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... -1.1096823
HBO pulling ‘Game of Thrones’ episode which featured likeness of former President George W. Bush on severed head
'We were deeply dismayed to see this and find it unacceptable, disrespectful and in very bad taste,' network says
BY ETHAN SACKS / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Saturday, June 16, 2012, 12:54 AM

Heads may yet roll over the controversy surrounding the use of a model of President George W. Bush's likeness for a decapitation victim on a spike in an episode of "Game of Thrones."

In the face of outrage from conservative critics, HBO announced Friday that it was pulling the episode in question - last year's season finale - from its rotation, as well as iTunes and HBO GO and froze all shipments of DVD box sets, until the offending scene could be edited out.

"We were deeply dismayed to see this and find it unacceptable, disrespectful and in very bad taste," the network said in a statement Friday. "We made this clear to the executive producers of the series, who apologized immediately for this careless mistake.

"We condemn it in the strongest possible terms and have halted all future shipments of the DVDs, removed it from our digital platforms and will edit the scene for all future airings on any distribution domestic or international."

The head, fitted with a long-haired wig, appears for a just a second impaled on a spike in last season's finale episode of the fantasy series, when sadistic king Joffrey shows off a line of severed heads to his bride to be - including her own father's.

The macabre cameo would have gone unnoticed if it wasn't mentioned in the commentary for the DVD of the first season, in which one of the showrunners mentions it. After an alert Reddit user flagged it Wednesday, the news spread across the Internet.

Several Republican politicians and conservative critics had rallied to arms, calling for a boycott of the show.

"If it were President Obama's head on a spike, Democrats and the media would howl with rage, and demand that "Game of Thrones" be removed from the air," said conservative blogger Lauren Thompson.

Showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss apologized within hours with a statement attempting to explain their executive decision, saying that the fake body parts used on the show are bought in bulk from suppliers.

"After the scene was already shot, someone pointed out that one of the heads looked like George W. Bush...In the DVD commentary, we mentioned this, though we should not have."

"We meant no disrespect to the former President and apologize if anything we said or did suggested otherwise."

Jasper

#145 Post by Jasper » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:28 pm

Started the second book yesterday. First one was really good, especially as things heated up. I like all of the extra information.

There are a few scenes which didn't fit in the series. These are some of them, which aren't really show spoilers for anyone who's seen all of th4e episodes, but I guess they might be book spoilers:

When the Wildlings find Bran in the woods, Robb doesn't kill as many of them alone, because his wolf comes out of the woods as well and brutally tears some of their intestines out and shit. Then it eats a good portion of one. :jasper:

When the other new recruits were to be made brothers of the Night's Watch, Sam was going to be left behind to have his ass beaten over and over in the yard until he was severely wounded or killed, but Jon speaks to the old maester and convinces him to save Sam by taking Sam on as his assistant (the maester is either mostly or completely blind, and both of his assistants at the time are illiterate).

Another thing was that when the dead man comes to life and Jon's wolf alerts him and he fights it and saves the Lord Commander, there is another dead man coming to life in another part of the Castle Black (they found two dead men, the two who had been with Benjen Stark's group of three) and it manages to kill four people. That scene isn't really shown in the book either - it's basically described to Jon after the fact.

Bran's dreams are more in-depth, and the crows talk to him while he's in a coma.

We actually see the battle that happens the night after Tyrion and Bronn and Shae are playing drinking games. Tyrion actually makes it into the battle, on horseback, and he even manages to kill one or two people, although at least one of them he basically kills by luck, accidentally causing the victim's horse to fall on him.

George R.R. Martin actually wrote the episode where Ned Stark dies. He changes some things from the book. For instance, Ned doesn't see Arya on the statue and tell Yoren to get her. Yoren finds her himself when she jumps down from the statue and makes a sloppy attempt to run towards the front with her sword. Later we find out that the reason Yoren is there at all is because a boy came to him and gave him money, and told him not to leave King's Landing yet, because Ned was going to take the black and go with him. It's left up to the reader to guess that the boy was probably sent by Varys.

The red comet shows up around the night that Dany puts Drogo on the funeral pyre, whereas it doesn't show up until the beginning of season two of the show, though season two pretty much picks up directly after that funeral scene.

The book has some brutal details. When Drogo is injured, his entire left nipple is lost. The night when Ser Jorah fights with the Dothraki outside of the tent where the witch is allegedly saving Drogo's life, Jorah has half of an ear sliced off.

Stannis is missing the whole book, just like the show, but it's implied that he's missing because he discovered the truth about Cersei and the Kingslayer, so he's already amassing an army and building a war fleet. (He normally sits on the king's small council and is master of ships). In the show it's not suggested that Stannis knows the truth until Ned sends a raven. Also, before he's killed, the former Hand, Jon Aryn, was planning on sending his son to be tutored at Stannis's home. It's suggested that this is because Jon Aryn and Stannis both know the truth. Jon Aryn's son is the sickly kid who's still breastfeeding way past what's normal. Once Jon Aryn dies, his wife (Catelyn Stark's sister) freaks out and takes the son back to their home and won't let him leave.

In one scene, Joffrey tells Sansa how stupid she is, and that if their first child is as stupid as her, he'll cut off Sansa's head and get a new wife. :lol: