Game of Thrones (HBO)

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
perkana

Re: Game of Thrones (HBO)

#351 Post by perkana » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:13 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:As a big Lord of the Rings fan, Game of Thrones is WAY easier to follow in terms of names and locations, etc than LOTR is...let's not even go into the stuff they put in the Silmarillion... :banghead:
I gave up on the Two Towers...I didn't have a fucking clue who they were talking about at some point. And I agree, GoT is definitely way easier. It's like the pop corn version (it's very easy to read and to follow the story, though I'm grateful for the wiki because I forget a lot of stuff)

perkana

#352 Post by perkana » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:39 pm

I was looking for some pictures of The Hound and to be honest, I think I prefer him in character.

JOEinPHX

#353 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:04 pm

The only thing I enjoyed more than Joffrey dying, was Jamie Lannister raping his sister over their product-of-incest son Joffrey's dead body. :lol:

Essence_Smith

#354 Post by Essence_Smith » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:40 pm

perkana wrote:I was looking for some pictures of The Hound and to be honest, I think I prefer him in character.
The Hound in real life reminds me of Larry for some reason... :lol:

Essence_Smith

#355 Post by Essence_Smith » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:49 am

Essence_Smith wrote:
perkana wrote:I was looking for some pictures of The Hound and to be honest, I think I prefer him in character.
The Hound in real life reminds me of Larry for some reason... :lol:
Btw I didn't mean this as an insult...I like the Hound a lot... :wave:

chaos

#356 Post by chaos » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:37 am

https://movies.yahoo.com/news/game-thro ... 00245.html

'Game of Thrones' Writer: Sunday's Episode 'Most Difficult' I've Ever Done
By Aaron Couch
April 25, 2014 1:00 AM

The Purple Wedding is over and lines are being drawn in the sand on Game of Thrones.

Writer Bryan Cogman tells The Hollywood Reporter Sunday's upcoming episode was incredibly challenging to crack.

"It's the most difficult episode I've written," he says. He adds that for one of the aspiring rulers of Westeros, the episode presents them with an opportunity to decide what type of leader they would like to become.

That's about all he can reveal for now. We'll have a spoiler-filled Q&A with Cogman following Sunday's episode, in which he'll go into detail about its most talked-about scenes.

perkana

#357 Post by perkana » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:53 pm

I know what he's talking about :wiggle:

perkana

#358 Post by perkana » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:10 pm

Wow, wow, wow! I was finally surprised. I've been messing stuff because of what I've read, but thìs episode was really fast paced and the stories were great. Now I fell like drinking some wine :drink:

Jasper

#359 Post by Jasper » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:34 pm

Phenomenal episode.

I got a real head start on the wine.
:cheers:

perkana

#360 Post by perkana » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:09 am

We should do a drinking game, whenever Cersei drinks or Hodor says Hodor, shot!

creep
Site Admin

#361 Post by creep » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:12 am

jaime lannister needs to grow some balls.

perkana

#362 Post by perkana » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:15 am

I actually liked him siding with Tyrion. And I guess Cersei really didn't like getting raped by him. Like her being standoffish. But what I was so glad to see that there wasn't an awkward sex scene between Margaery and Tommen. To be honest, it's not like I was, oh right, another rape scene with Cersei, but not into underage sex.

creep
Site Admin

#363 Post by creep » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:21 am

perkana wrote:I actually liked him siding with Tyrion. And I guess Cersei really didn't like getting raped by him. Like her being standoffish. But what I was so glad to see that there wasn't an awkward sex scene between Margaery and Tommen. To be honest, it's not like I was, oh right, another rape scene with Cersei, but not into underage sex.
he has turned in to a "good guy" now. except for the semi rape of his sister i guess. i assume that he will rescue his brother at some point.

Essence_Smith

#364 Post by Essence_Smith » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:42 am

perkana wrote:We should do a drinking game, whenever Cersei drinks or Hodor says Hodor, shot!

creep
Site Admin

#365 Post by creep » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:44 am

Essence_Smith wrote:
perkana wrote:We should do a drinking game, whenever Cersei drinks or Hodor says Hodor, shot!
that little stark kid's storyline has to be the most boring part of the series.

Essence_Smith

#366 Post by Essence_Smith » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:47 am

creep wrote:that little stark kid's storyline has to be the most boring part of the series.
:noclue:
I didn't get to catch last night's ep and I haven't checked out the books, but I'm guessing he and Arya eventually link back up and end up restoring the family name...

creep
Site Admin

#367 Post by creep » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:51 am

Essence_Smith wrote:
creep wrote:that little stark kid's storyline has to be the most boring part of the series.
I didn't get to catch last night's ep and I haven't checked out the books, but I'm guessing he and Arya eventually link back up and end up restoring the family name...
but arya was killed last night....oops spoiler alert.

perkana

#368 Post by perkana » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:51 am

Essence_Smith wrote:
Yeah, that's what I'm talking! Too bad it's on Sunday nights.

perkana

#369 Post by perkana » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:52 am

creep wrote:
that little stark kid's storyline has to be the most boring part of the series.
In the books too...I doze off sometimes when I read those parts. But I do like it when he does his warg thing.

Essence_Smith

#370 Post by Essence_Smith » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:56 am

creep wrote:
Essence_Smith wrote:
but arya was killed last night....oops spoiler alert.
Gee thanks... :sad:

Xizen47

#371 Post by Xizen47 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:26 am

Essence_Smith wrote:
creep wrote: but arya was killed last night....oops spoiler alert.
Don't worry ES,, that dosen't happen till the 5th book

Essence_Smith

#372 Post by Essence_Smith » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:00 am

Xizen47 wrote:
Essence_Smith wrote:
ty...I WILL be checking the books out as well...backstory and added context is important to me...do the books follow the order of events in the show strictly or do they jump around a bit?

Jasper

#373 Post by Jasper » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:22 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:
Xizen47 wrote:
Essence_Smith wrote:
ty...I WILL be checking the books out as well...backstory and added context is important to me...do the books follow the order of events in the show strictly or do they jump around a bit?
The show changes some things, like leaving out big battles or settings which would be expensive or might take too much screen time. They also change some characteristics of the characters and so on. For instance, Dany likes Jorah, but he's short and stocky and bald and hairy and ugly, which is why she's not into him romantically (she tries to force herself to be into him, but it doesn't work). In the show Jorah's dashing and ruggedly handsome, but she just doesn't like him for some reason. Arya and Brienne are examples of characters that are way too good looking compared to how they're described in the books. Tyrion is much more ugly and deformed in the books, and when his face gets slashed in battle, he actually loses the tip of his nose, becoming even uglier. In the show he's handsome. Some characters are left out entirely, and some are invented. Ros the red headed whore is used in the place of what would have been many different characters.

Story elements are altered all over the place. Usually for cost, but sometimes for no conceivable reason. Sometimes the show makes pretty stupid decisions. The last big shocking event with Jaime Lannister was one such thing, because it contradicts his carefully plotted story arc. They also royally fucked up the House of the Undying.

The show does a bit of juggling with the timeline, but it's usually not too intrusive. The first season is by far the closest to the books. They didn't change much at all.

Some changes are good. The show seriously tones down the colors of armor and banners and so on, because it would look too garish to really do it as GRRM describes it. I think the Targaryens are supposed to have purple irises or something like that. The Others (White Walkers) are not described with much detail in the books, but the design they use in the show is superior to how I've heard GRRM describe his vision of them (they're more like tall beautiful ice elves in his mind, rather than all wrinkly).

perkana

#374 Post by perkana » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:56 pm

I think they changed things last episode to shut (up)/surprise people who have read the books. And for that, I thank them. I hate comparing books and shows and try to see them apart from now on. To be honest, the Purple Wedding was a big disappointment for me, but last night's episode made it worth it. I just love the Lady Olenna character.

Xizen47

#375 Post by Xizen47 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:51 pm

Jasper wrote: Sometimes the show makes pretty stupid decisions. The last big shocking event with Jaime Lannister was one such thing, because it contradicts his carefully plotted story arc.
What are you talking about?