Game of Thrones (HBO)

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
perkana

Re: Game of Thrones (HBO)

#561 Post by perkana » Fri May 22, 2015 9:50 am

Even I don’t like Coldplay, thought this was very funny...

perkana

#562 Post by perkana » Sun May 24, 2015 7:22 pm

I'm such a fan of the High Sparrow. He scares the shit out of me because of his fanatism, but at the same time I really like him (it helps that it's played by Jonathan Pryce). I thought the scene with Bronn and the Sand Snakes could have been left out. Guess nudity has been missed and I'm just fucking glad Bronn wasn't killed off the show. I liked this episode better, after last week's (I could have done without the flayed old lady, but it's GoT, right?).

creep
Site Admin

#563 Post by creep » Sun May 24, 2015 8:08 pm

perkana wrote: I thought the scene with Bronn and the Sand Snakes could have been left out.
best scene of the episode. the series needs more bronn.

the first half of the episode was boring. the second half was good.

perkana

#564 Post by perkana » Sun May 24, 2015 8:31 pm

Hey, what about Gilly and Sam? The jail scene was fun for a change. Wouldn't call it the best. I liked Jorah's better.

intertwoven

#565 Post by intertwoven » Sun May 24, 2015 10:06 pm

I liked it. Funny how quickly I went from wanting Cersei to get what's coming to her, to waning to see her kick some ass. Fucking religious fanaticism. (religion poisons everything.) How many more episodes? It's always the penultimate episode where shit goes down.

Jasper

#566 Post by Jasper » Sun May 24, 2015 10:30 pm

It was a much better episode than the last one. It kept things tense, and I pretty much enjoyed all of it. The jail scene in Dorne was the only time I've really liked the sand snakes, or at least one of the sand snakes. :lol: They picked the right one for that part.

Looks like there are only three episodes remaining. :sad:

perkana

#567 Post by perkana » Mon May 25, 2015 8:55 am

Jasper wrote:It was a much better episode than the last one. It kept things tense, and I pretty much enjoyed all of it. The jail scene in Dorne was the only time I've really liked the sand snakes, or at least one of the sand snakes. :lol: They picked the right one for that part.
I loved the eyerolls from the other two :lol: Accents are still shitty. Reminds me of Angelina Jolie's in Alexander.

perkana

#568 Post by perkana » Mon May 25, 2015 2:29 pm

I've been reading articles about how bad GoT has been towards women. But, I guess that's how assault towards women happens regularly (rape). I don't know why the scandal of seeing it on t.v. Guess there have been too many women assaulted lately, maybe I've become desensitized. But no one has had it easy on this show.
Viewers looking for a break from the theme of sexual assault on Game of Thrones were in for a disappointment tonight. After last week’s bleak and disturbing treatment of Sansa Stark, the latest episode added yet another sexual assault of a female character that doesn’t exist in the books. In the show, the wildling Gilly was rescued by Samwell Tarly (with a big assist from Jon’s direwolf Ghost) from being raped or worse by members of the Night’s Watch. Presumably this scene exists not only to bring Sam and Gilly closer (and it worked, she had sex with him in this scene out of gratitude, it seems), but to drive home to the viewer how unfriendly the Wall has become for the pair of them (and the baby) in the wake of Maester Aemon’s death and the departure of Commander Snow.

Does this sexual assault happen in the books? No it does not. Gilly is certainly made to feel unwelcome (in—spoiler alert— a very heartbreaking way]), but near-rape has nothing to do with it. Like the rape of Daenerys on her wedding night to Khal Drogo in Season 1, or the strange reimagining of Cersei and Jaime’s encounter last season, or Sansa’s horrible wedding night, this is another instance of the show sexually threatening a female protagonist in a way not even the very grim and violent book series does.

So given that tenor of sexual menace on the show, what should we make of the scene between Tyene Sand and Ser Bronn of the Blackwater? Exposed female flesh is par for the course on Game of Thrones, but there are already those who claim the nudity in this episode from 19 year-old Rosabell Laurenti Sellers is empowering for women. Here’s a female character who has flipped the script and weaponized her sexuality to take down a man. But ask yourself, other than titillating the audience, what did that nude scene accomplish? Tyene had already wounded Bronn with her knife, the poison was going to take affect anyway. All her strip show did was make the blood flow faster and the poison act quicker.
This wasn’t seduction as self-defense or weapon, this was seduction as added eye candy. Which would be fine as long as we got a naked Daario scene for every nude Sand Snake, naked Myranda, and exposed Melisandre. But, I think we all know that won’t be the case.
http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/201 ... ault-gilly
I liked GRRM's response to the rape thing...
From his livejournal (I didn't know it still existed)
I am getting a flood of emails and off-topic comments on this blog about tonight's episode of GAME OF THRONES. It's not unanticipated.

The comments... regardless of tone... have been deleted. I have been saying since season one that this is not the place to debate or discuss the TV series. Please respect that.

There are better places for such discussions: Westeros, Tower of the Hand, Watchers on the Wall, Winter Is Coming, the comments sections of the television critics who regularly follow the show: James Hibberd, Alyssa Rosenberg, Mo Ryan, James Poniewozik, and their colleagues. I am sure all those sites will be having a healthy debate.

I have a lot of fans asking me for comment.

Let me reiterate what I have said before.

How many children did Scarlett O'Hara have? Three, in the novel. One, in the movie. None, in real life: she was a fictional character, she never existed. The show is the show, the books are the books; two different tellings of the same story.

There have been differences between the novels and the television show since the first episode of season one. And for just as long, I have been talking about the butterfly effect. Small changes lead to larger changes lead to huge changes. HBO is more than forty hours into the impossible and demanding task of adapting my lengthy (extremely) and complex (exceedingly) novels, with their layers of plots and subplots, their twists and contradictions and unreliable narrators, viewpoint shifts and ambiguities, and a cast of characters in the hundreds.

There has seldom been any TV series as faithful to its source material, by and large (if you doubt that, talk to the Harry Dresden fans, or readers of the Sookie Stackhouse novels, or the fans of the original WALKING DEAD comic books)... but the longer the show goes on, the bigger the butterflies become. And now we have reached the point where the beat of butterfly wings is stirring up storms, like the one presently engulfing my email.

Prose and television have different strengths, different weaknesses, different requirements.

David and Dan and Bryan and HBO are trying to make the best television series that they can.

And over here I am trying to write the best novels that I can.

And yes, more and more, they differ. Two roads diverging in the dark of the woods, I suppose... but all of us are still intending that at the end we will arrive at the same place.

In the meantime, we hope that the readers and viewers both enjoy the journey. Or journeys, as the case may be. Sometimes butterflies grow into dragons.

((I am closing comments on this post. Take your discussions to the other sites I have mentioned. And for those who may be curious as to the road the books are taking, I direct you to the WINDS OF WINTER sample chapters on my website)).
http://grrm.livejournal.com/427713.html

crater

#569 Post by crater » Sun May 31, 2015 7:02 pm

:yikes:

blackula

#570 Post by blackula » Sun May 31, 2015 7:16 pm

Holy fuck tonight's episode!

creep
Site Admin

#571 Post by creep » Sun May 31, 2015 7:26 pm

i'm the only person alive i think that get's bored during the fight scenes. i've always been that way. long fight scenes or car chases (heat) are so predictable and put me to sleep. i found the conversation between the khalsi and tyrion way more interesting. give me 60 minutes of that and i would be happy.

good episode though

perkana

#572 Post by perkana » Sun May 31, 2015 9:13 pm

What a fucking ending!! Winter is finally fucking here yo!
It's been the longest episode too or it just felt like it?

Jasper

#573 Post by Jasper » Sun May 31, 2015 9:43 pm

perkana wrote:What a fucking ending!! Winter is finally fucking here yo!
It's been the longest episode too or it just felt like it?
59:59

Good episode. Felt like a finale (or in Game of Thrones terms, a penultimate episode).
creep wrote:i'm the only person alive i think that get's bored during the fight scenes. i've always been that way. long fight scenes or car chases (heat) are so predictable and put me to sleep
I get bored during long battle scenes and car chases as well, but I enjoyed this, even though the battle was quite lengthy. Most fights and car chases are in movies that I don't care about, like superhero flicks, which I can't even watch. Given the arc of this story, big battles are inevitable. The drama elements make up the bulk of the show, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

perkana

#574 Post by perkana » Sun May 31, 2015 9:46 pm

:cool:
Attachments
11392930_10155573749170176_120681945903339075_n.jpg
11392930_10155573749170176_120681945903339075_n.jpg (31.84 KiB) Viewed 6037 times

wally

#575 Post by wally » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:30 pm

creep wrote:i'm the only person alive i think that get's bored during the fight scenes. i've always been that way. long fight scenes or car chases (heat) are so predictable and put me to sleep. i found the conversation between the khalsi and tyrion way more interesting. give me 60 minutes of that and i would be happy.

good episode though
you should probably skip Mad Max then.

:lol: @ big dave navarro

perkana

#576 Post by perkana » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:52 am

blackula

#577 Post by blackula » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:00 pm

Apparently Mastadon were in this episode as Wildlings.

perkana

#578 Post by perkana » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:34 pm

Yup
Mastodon’s Brann Dailor said, in a statement that contains spoilers unlikely to be central to the plot: “It was such an incredible experience to be on set as extras for our collective favourite show Game of Thrones, and to be wildlings murdered and then brought back to life by White Walkers was beyond amazing. I watched my best friends, Brent and Bill, murdered right in front of me as I myself was stabbed in the stomach and had my throat slit multiple times, and I didn’t mind at all. It made me love being in Mastodon even more. We are more than privileged and honoured to have been a part of one of the greatest stories ever told on film – and the catering wasn’t bad either.”
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/j ... get-killed

perkana

#579 Post by perkana » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:58 pm

OMFG!! :yikes:

creep
Site Admin

#580 Post by creep » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:34 pm

stannis is a dick

perkana

#581 Post by perkana » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:28 pm

Fucking ignorant one...I really hope that bloody sacrifice works. I should have learned my lesson, never get too attached to a character :sad:

Jasper

#582 Post by Jasper » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:29 pm

Well, guess I won't be bending the knee to Stannis anymore. :no: I wanted to puke for the remainder of the episode.

perkana

#583 Post by perkana » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:33 pm

perkana

#584 Post by perkana » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:34 pm

Jasper wrote:Well, guess I won't be bending the knee to Stannis anymore. :no: I wanted to puke for the remainder of the episode.
Shireen's screams...I'm going to have nightmares tonight. :nyrexall:

Mescal

#585 Post by Mescal » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:38 pm

God damn you guys.

The spoiler thread was another thread