Game of Thrones (HBO)

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Jasper

Re: Game of Thrones (HBO)

#81 Post by Jasper » Tue May 22, 2012 2:08 pm

creep wrote:it's impressive/creepy how much you notice/know about the show. sometimes i'm a little lost watching it. :dunce:
Well, I think the main thing is that I don't suffer from the infliction that you have where I can't understand British speech. I also got in the habit, this season, of watching episodes twice, or even three times if I felt like it. Lastly, if I'm not clear on who somebody is, I just read their entry here, http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Gam ... rones_Wiki , as that doesn't have any spoilers that haven't happened yet on the show.
wally wrote:Tyrrion's whore was Ros. you are right that he fucked her in Winterfell.

i think the weapons will be useful in fighting dragons. but maybe that's too obvious.
I think they might be for fighting northern creatures, not dragons. They called it "dragon's glass," so I took that to perhaps mean that the glass was forged by dragon breath. That's the same thing I thought someone said about Valyrian steel - that it was forged by dragon breath, but I looked in the wiki and there's no reference to dragons. :hs: I could have sworn somebody said that in the first season. :noclue: I guess "dragon's glass" could mean that it's for fighting dragons, but I assumed it was for fighting something associated w/ the north, like white walkers.

kv

#82 Post by kv » Tue May 22, 2012 2:11 pm

i love this thread...you guys are crazy i watch the show then in between episodes i wait for the next show you guys are nuts over every detail

creep
Site Admin

#83 Post by creep » Tue May 22, 2012 2:48 pm

kv wrote:i love this thread...you guys are crazy i watch the show then in between episodes i wait for the next show you guys are nuts over every detail
same could be said about the nba and you. i'm just multidimensional and shit. sports and geeky tv programs.

wally

#84 Post by wally » Tue May 22, 2012 3:06 pm

could be, but fire is pretty effective at killing walkers.
maybe with dragon glass weapons you don't have to burn the bodies to kill them or something.

Jasper

#85 Post by Jasper » Sun May 27, 2012 2:32 pm

I am ready. :rockon:

Anybody have any last guesses as to who will die in the last two episodes of the season? Some possibilities:

Joffrey (for obvious reasons)
Stannis (and/or Davos - you have to imagine Stannis will suffer in some way for the Lord of Light business)
The Halfhand (the ranger who is captive with Jon Snow - this seems like a very likely death)*
Jorah (possible, because he is taking Daenerys to "the House of the Undying")
Theon (unlikely, but it's not like he doesn't have it coming)
Robb (seems too early in his story to off him, but who knows)
Tywin Lannister (he was riding off to attack Robb, I think, so it's possible, but I hope not because that actor/character is great)

*If Jon Snow is going to try to get into the Wildling army as a spy/saboteur, then they could really test him by making him execute the Halfhand.

Finally, why is Catelyn Stark so impulsive? She kidnaps the innocent Tyrion Lannister in the first season, then she releases the guilty Kingslayer in the second season. Why would releasing him make any sense? As soon as he made his way back to King's Landing, the Lannisters would have less of a reason to keep Sansa alive. :hs:

Speaking of Catelyn Stark, I was looking at some paintings, and I stumbled upon this one. It's from 1883:

kv

#86 Post by kv » Sun May 27, 2012 3:37 pm

amazing casting...that painting looks just like her and the eyes look just like her daughter

creep
Site Admin

#87 Post by creep » Sun May 27, 2012 7:04 pm

recap of tonight's episode...

:ax: :ax: :ax: :ax: :ax: :ax: :ax: :ax: :ax: :ax: :ax: :ax: :ax: :ax: :ax: :ax: :ax: :ax: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :box: :box: :box: :box: :box: :box: :box: :box: :box: :box: :box: :box: :box: :box: :box: :nutkick: :nutkick: :nutkick: :nutkick: :nutkick: :nutkick: :nutkick: :nutkick: :nutkick: :nutkick: :nutkick: :nutkick: :nutkick: :nutkick: :nutkick: :nutkick: :nutkick: :nutkick: :bored:

crater

#88 Post by crater » Sun May 27, 2012 7:06 pm

You forgot

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

creep
Site Admin

#89 Post by creep » Sun May 27, 2012 7:32 pm

crater wrote:You forgot

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
oh yeah

the song at the end credits was very sopranos-like. i always liked that.

Jasper

#90 Post by Jasper » Sun May 27, 2012 9:01 pm

Holy fucking shit, that was relentless. Fucking amazing.

I guess ser Davos is dead. :no: Sure, he could have lived, since there were a lot of survivors clinging to pieces of wreckage and whatnot, but it doesn't seem that likely.

The destruction of Stannis' fleet was fucking phenomenal.

So, Renley's boyfriend, Loris Tyrell, busted into the throne room at the end. That's what Littlefinger was suggesting when he visited Tywin Lannister a few episodes back. Seems to have made the difference in the battle, along with however many men Tywin Lannister had with him.

Never expected the Hound to leave during this battle, but it's not particularly surprising that he would hate Joffrey or protect Sansa. I guess Sansa might get away - good thing, since she'd be a lot less safe when the Kingslayer returned.
Last edited by Jasper on Sun May 27, 2012 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

creep
Site Admin

#91 Post by creep » Sun May 27, 2012 9:03 pm

Jasper wrote:
Never expected the Hound to leave during this battle, but it's not particularly surprising that he would hate Joffrey or protect Sansa. I guess Sansa might get away - good thing, since she'd be a lot less safe when the Kingslayer returned.
apparently when you watch the episode online you do not get to see the previews.

Jasper

#92 Post by Jasper » Sun May 27, 2012 9:08 pm

creep wrote:
Jasper wrote:
apparently when you watch the episode online you do not get to see the previews.
I saw three separate previews - two of which I posted above - but I definitely did not see a preview that showed the Hound abandoning post. Must have been a newer one. :noclue: Glad I didn't see it, I guess. I don't want to know major plot points before they happen.

creep
Site Admin

#93 Post by creep » Sun May 27, 2012 9:13 pm

Jasper wrote:
creep wrote:
Jasper wrote:
I saw three separate previews - two of which I posted above - but I definitely did not see a preview that showed the Hound abandoning post. Must have been a newer one. :noclue: Glad I didn't see it, I guess. I don't want to know major plot points before they happen.
like most shows after every episode they show scenes from next episode. it looks like everyone is back in play next episode. a lot of shit has to go down next week. i read that next season only covers half of the next book.

Jasper

#94 Post by Jasper » Sun May 27, 2012 9:21 pm

creep wrote:
Jasper wrote:
creep wrote:
Jasper wrote:
like most shows after every episode they show scenes from next episode. it looks like everyone is back in play next episode. a lot of shit has to go down next week. i read that next season only covers half of the next book.
Oh, duh, I thought you meant previews before *this* episode. Sometimes the next-episode previews are attached and sometimes not. I guess they weren't attached to the one I watched.

I don't know which book it is, but I know that at one point I read that George R.R. Martin wrote such a long book that the publisher said they had to break it in two. He tried to do it the way we'd expect, but he couldn't get it to work, so he took the Daenerys stuff, and made one book out of that, then took some of the other stuff (like Robb and such) and put it into another book, and both books covered the same time period. So if it's those books that come up next season (not sure) it's a given that they'd drop that book format and try to make it work in the expected way. So they could do half of two books for next season, then do the second halves of the same two books for the following season. :confused: Hope that made sense.

creep
Site Admin

#95 Post by creep » Sun May 27, 2012 9:30 pm

Jasper wrote:
creep wrote:
Jasper wrote:
creep wrote:
Jasper wrote:
Oh, duh, I thought you meant previews before *this* episode. Sometimes the next-episode previews are attached and sometimes not. I guess they weren't attached to the one I watched.

I don't know which book it is, but I know that at one point I read that George R.R. Martin wrote such a long book that the publisher said they had to break it in two. He tried to do it the way we'd expect, but he couldn't get it to work, so he took the Daenerys stuff, and made one book out of that, then took some of the other stuff (like Robb and such) and put it into another book, and both books covered the same time period. So if it's those books that come up next season (not sure) it's a given that they'd drop that book format and try to make it work in the expected way. So they could do half of two books for next season, then do the second halves of the same two books for the following season. :confused: Hope that made sense.
i just looked it up and yeah you are right. i started reading the wiki page and it started going in to the plot so i had to stop.
To date, A Storm of Swords is the longest novel in the series. It was so long that in the UK, Australia and Israel its paperback edition was split in half, Part 1 being published as Steel and Snow in June 2001 (with the one-volume cover) and Part 2 as Blood and Gold in August 2001 (with a specially-commissioned new cover). In France, the decision was made to cut the novel into four separate editions.

Jasper

#96 Post by Jasper » Sun May 27, 2012 10:28 pm

I looked on the Game of Thrones wiki and, yeah, Davos is now listed as deceased.

:cona: :jasper:

At least I can take solace in the fact that George R.R. Martin is probably going to kill virtually every single character that any of us cares about even the tiniest little bit. :lol: :noclue:

Jasper

#97 Post by Jasper » Mon May 28, 2012 3:51 pm

I was wondering why the Hound lost it during the battle. Then I recalled that he told the lead archer not to let any of the flaming arrows near him, AND he did lose it precisely when that burning soldier was running towards him, AND he did tell Sansa he was going someplace that wasn't on fire.

Then I remembered that the Hound is the Hound because his older brother (The Mountain) held his face in a fire while they were kids. So, I think that, aside from knowing that Joffrey is a sack of shit, the Hound is terrified of fire. Even Stannis' sigil involves fire.

I wonder what will happen with Stannis. He lost pretty much his entire, gigantic army, so I guess he's in for an execution, but the one wild card is the fire priestess, and maybe the shadow creature. You've gotta admit, Stannis is a badass - he stormed the beach ahead of everyone, went up a ladder ahead of everyone, killed a bunch of men and sliced off the top half of some guy's head.

creep
Site Admin

#98 Post by creep » Mon May 28, 2012 3:55 pm

Jasper wrote:I was wondering why the Hound lost it during the battle. Then I recalled that he told the lead archer not to let any of the flaming arrows near him, AND he did lose it precisely when that burning soldier was running towards him, AND he did tell Sansa he was going someplace that wasn't on fire.

Then I remembered that the Hound is the Hound because his older brother (The Mountain) held his face in a fire while they were kids. So, I think that, aside from knowing that Joffrey is a sack of shit, the Hound is terrified of fire. Even Stannis' sigil involves fire.
i admit that i sometimes have a tough time catching on to shit but i thought this one was obvious. shit...just look at his face and that should have reminded you that he is a big pussy when it comes to fire.

creep
Site Admin

#99 Post by creep » Mon May 28, 2012 3:57 pm

Jasper wrote:
I wonder what will happen with Stannis. He lost pretty much his entire, gigantic army, so I guess he's in for an execution, but the one wild card is the fire priestess, and maybe the shadow creature. You've gotta admit, Stannis is a badass - he stormed the beach ahead of everyone, went up a ladder ahead of everyone, killed a bunch of men and sliced off the top half of some guy's head.
yeah you haven't seen the last of her. i bet she rescues him.

Jasper

#100 Post by Jasper » Mon May 28, 2012 5:29 pm

I was reading a recap of the episode, and I guess Davos's fate is actually left uncertain, kind of like Syrio Forrel (Arya's dancing master) in the first season. Still, it doesn't seem likely anybody would survive this:

Also, I didn't catch that Tyrion was attacked by one of the Lannister soldiers, but...
Tyrion urges a host of men-at-arms to help him fight the invaders and orders Ser Mandon and Ser Boros to join him in leading the battle. Ser Mandon is also ordered to carry the royal banner. In the midst of battle, however, Ser Mandon attempts to murder Tyrion after the latter removes his helmet but only succeeds in cutting his face. Afterward, Ser Mandon is impaled with a massive spear by Tyrion's squire, Podrick Payne, and perishes instantly.

In the books, Ser Mandon's death is at the hands of Podrick Payne, but Pod shoves him into Blackwater Bay after his assassination attempt on Tyrion Lannister; Moore is dragged underwater by the weight of his armour and drowns. Tyrion later suspects the attempt by Ser Mandon on his life was Cersei's work.
*edit*

Oh yeah, also it said that Stannis is dragged away from the battle by his own men, so he may not have been captured after all.

creep
Site Admin

#101 Post by creep » Mon May 28, 2012 5:49 pm

Jasper wrote:
Also, I didn't catch that Tyrion was attacked by one of the Lannister soldiers, but...
i didn't know that either so i searched it and he is not a lannister soldier. he is one of joffrey's boys.
Ser Mandon stands guard during a dinner held by Queen Cersei and Tyrion Lannister in which Cersei reveals Tyrion she has imprisoned his lover/whore. The Queen orders the knight to bring her before them. Ser Mandon and one of his sworn brothers brings in Ros.[3]

Immediately prior to the Battle of the Blackwater Ser Mandon informs Queen Cersei of a groom and two maids attempting to flee with a stolen horse and some gold cups. The Queen orders Ser Mandon to have Ilyn Payne put their heads on spikes outside the stables as a warning.

During the battle Ser Mandon and Ser Boros Blount remain at the side of King Joffrey as he oversees the city's defenses alongside Tyrion Lannister, the Hand of the King. When the forces of Stannis Baratheon reach the city and begin invading it, Joffrey departs for the safety of the Red Keep, at the urge of Queen Cersei, and orders Ser Mandon and Ser Boros to aid Tyrion.[4]

Tyrion urges a host of men-at-arms to help him fight the invaders and orders Ser Mandon and Ser Boros to join him in leading the battle. Ser Mandon is also ordered to carry the royal banner. In the midst of battle, however, Ser Mandon attempts to murder Tyrion after the latter removes his helmet but only succeeds in cutting his face. Afterward, Ser Mandon is impaled with a massive spear by Tyrion's squire, Podrick Payne, and perishes instantly.[5]

crater

#102 Post by crater » Mon May 28, 2012 5:58 pm

:nod:

Jasper

#103 Post by Jasper » Mon May 28, 2012 6:26 pm

creep wrote:
Jasper wrote:
i didn't know that either so i searched it and he is not a lannister soldier. he is one of joffrey's boys.
Right. I guess soldier is the wrong word, but I just mean that the guy was on the Lannister side (since Joffrey's not really a Baratheon) as opposed to Stannis's side (actual Barathion). I'd initially assumed that it was one of Stannis's guys who took down Tyrion. Apparently in the books Tyrion loses the tip of his nose in that incident. George R.R. Martin is a brutal guy. Turns out he wrote this episode, and also wrote one episode last season (I think the one where Ned Stark dies).

creep
Site Admin

#104 Post by creep » Mon May 28, 2012 6:32 pm

Jasper wrote:
creep wrote:
Jasper wrote:
Right. I guess soldier is the wrong word, but I just mean that the guy was on the Lannister side (since Joffrey's not really a Baratheon) as opposed to Stannis's side (actual Barathion). I'd initially assumed that it was one of Stannis's guys who took down Tyrion. Apparently in the books Tyrion loses the tip of his nose in that incident. George R.R. Martin is a brutal guy. Turns out he wrote this episode, and also wrote one episode last season (I think the one where Ned Stark dies).
by saying lannister soldier i assumed you meant one of the soldiers with tywin. :bored:

Jasper

#105 Post by Jasper » Wed May 30, 2012 7:35 pm

George R.R. Martin has a series of three short stories or novellas called The Tales of Dunk and Egg. they take place in the same world as Game of Thrones, beginning 89 years before the first book. He will be making more, so that there will be as many as 12, and they will span most of the two characters' lives, which means that they will eventually begin to involve some younger versions of older people in the main series. I decided to download the first one, The Hedge Knight, but I accidentally downloaded the graphic novel version. I just went with that, and it was pretty entertaining.
It's got Targaryens, including one of the rotten ones, and one who is hand of the king. There's also a Baratheon who is big and laughs as he beats opponents and wears a helmet with stag horns. I think he might be the grandfather of Robert/Renley/Stannis. There are some peripheral Lannisters and Tyrells. I don't think there are any Starks.