RHCP

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Tyler Durden

Re: RHCP

#721 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:32 pm

The Chris Martin one is good. He's a cool guy.

intertwoven

#722 Post by intertwoven » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:57 pm

Looks like the new RHCP album leaked in full today. I'm on vacation in Maui with my wife who hates RHCP, so I haven't been able to give a listen yet. Maybe tonight after she goes to bed.

janesbiggestfan

#723 Post by janesbiggestfan » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:35 pm

Bandit72

#724 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:44 am

I'm not a fan of Corden, but here you go.

Can you imagine Jane's doing this? Perry in the front seat not letting anyone else talk, Etty pouting in the back filing her fucking nails with the windows down and the other three in the boot. (sorry 'trunk')

janesbiggestfan

#725 Post by janesbiggestfan » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:18 am

Ok so first review after listening to the entire album a couple of times:

It is somewhat good, but not great. Several memorable songs and some instantly forgettable. Oddly enough RHCP seems to be suffering from the same thing as our precious long suffering JA. They lack a genuinely talented writer. Make no mistake. They sometimes still strike gold and somehow come up with very catchy tunes etc. But without Frusciante there is no one in the band who is genuinely talented in writing songs. They all come up with interesting high quality parts and bits but the songwriting just isnt there. With all respect to Flea and Josh, they seem more creative with instruments, as in coming up with good parts. Kiedis is doing what he can with the vocals but that sweet BeeGees and Elton John musicality and songwriting that Frusciante brought on BTW and SA is just gone. Much like Jane's without Avery, just unable to come up with good song ideas. And also reminescent of Navarro's projects outside of Jane's: great guy, unbelievable parts, innovative, exquisite sounds but has to base them off of someone else's ideas and song foundations.

That said I still have great sympathy for the RHCP. To be doing this so long it is still impressive. And they are at least trying and writing new shit every few years.

And to answer the question: no, Jane's wouldn't do that because they suck dick. At least the Peppers are still cool, they live that california life dream, are in fucking shape and don't give a fuck.

kv

#726 Post by kv » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:42 am

Bandit72 wrote:I'm not a fan of Corden, but here you go.

Can you imagine Jane's doing this? Perry in the front seat not letting anyone else talk, Etty pouting in the back filing her fucking nails with the windows down and the other three in the boot. (sorry 'trunk')

etty would find her way to the front seat...

creep
Site Admin

#727 Post by creep » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:53 am

kv wrote:
Bandit72 wrote:I'm not a fan of Corden, but here you go.

etty would find her way to the front seat...
etty would be the first one to take their shirt off.

Tyler Durden

#728 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:51 am

janesbiggestfan wrote:...but that sweet BeeGees and Elton John musicality and songwriting that Frusciante brought on BTW and SA is just gone
I haven't heard the song yet, but "Sick Love" was written with Elton John and Bernie Taupin. That really jumped out at me when I saw it on The Getaway wiki page. It could be good, it could be shit.
janesbiggestfan wrote:And to answer the question: no, Jane's wouldn't do that because they suck dick. At least the Peppers are still cool, they live that california life dream, are in fucking shape and don't give a fuck.
As for comparing them to Jane's, I don't think even the most disenfranchised former Chili Peppers fan can deny that they have kept way more cred than Jane's Addiction. RHCP didn't kill their band, shit on the music, set it all on fire, and then piss on it to put it out and resurrect it multiple times.

krakle

#729 Post by krakle » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:22 am

janesbiggestfan wrote:get it here:

https://t.co/qSisvuBSCx
This one is dead already. Anyone knows where to find another? Would like to give it a try. I'm actually playing with the thought of maybe buying another RHCP album, for the first time in 10 years ( :yikes: )

janesbiggestfan

#730 Post by janesbiggestfan » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:24 am

Update: this album is yet another triumph of the Chili Peppers. For one reason alone: they recorded new material and they will add at least several great songs which kill live to their repertoire. In doin this alone they destroy anything Jane's has done in decades.
The album is growing on me, and regardless of the fact that severeal songs are aimless, go nowhere and are instantly forgettable, they still fucking managed to pull amazing feats with some other songs....

OMG, look at go robot live.... crazy

How could this be described as anything else other than completely fucking amazing????? BSSM tier song live (very bad mix on the album)

Tyler Durden

#731 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:27 am

"Sick Love", written with Elton John and Bernie Taupin is excellent. EJ also plays piano on the track. This album should've been made after By The Way. Nice to see them taking artistic risks and not falling back on 80s/90s punk funk.

Larry B.

#732 Post by Larry B. » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:42 am

janesbiggestfan wrote: How could this be described as anything else other than completely fucking amazing????? BSSM tier song live (very bad mix on the album)

If you're not being sarcastic, then :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

That's another shit-tier song, same shit they've been doing since I got out of high school, 15 years ago.

Tyler Durden

#733 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:08 pm

Larry B. wrote:
janesbiggestfan wrote: How could this be described as anything else other than completely fucking amazing????? BSSM tier song live (very bad mix on the album)

That's another shit-tier song, same shit they've been doing since I got out of high school, 15 years ago.
It's a disco song straight out of a 70s roller rink. Some people will dig it, some people won't.

15 years ago? Are you implying that you like the Californication album? To me, half that album is great and half is shit. By The Way is a better album, in my opinion.

In general though, I've always had a problem with RHCP and the length of their albums. Rick Rubin never told them to cut the fat...they include way too many songs. A lot of their albums could be leaner and only keep the really strong material.

Matz

#734 Post by Matz » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:15 pm

Larry B. wrote:

:lol: :lol: exactly my thoughts. I just listened to most of the album and it fuckin sucks. By far the worst RHCP album yet. Anthony's vocal melodies are the worst in rock by now.

Dark necessities is the only good song there

perkana

#735 Post by perkana » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:19 pm

I've only listened to that song. I thought the video (directed by Olivia Wilde, my woman crush) was good :noclue:

crater

#736 Post by crater » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:33 pm

Although I think the title of it is dumb, but Dreams of a Samurai is a cool song.

I just got done listening to it all the way through and that was the one song that really stood out for me.

janesbiggestfan

#737 Post by janesbiggestfan » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:30 am

I think that for a band of this calibre and seniority, it is a great achievement to be able to record new material which will provide 5 songs to play at live shows. And their inclusion will not diminish the general level of the concert. That is amazing.
In reality there are few artists who continue growing thoughout their career. Most bands have a creative peak and then either fade away slowly or implode quickly. What the Peppers are doing is amazing.
Think of it this way: you could go to a RHCP concert in 1991, 1995, 1999, 2001, 2006, 2011 and 2016 and each time the setlist could be 50% different, yet the music would still be good in general. For that I admire them.

Jane's is playing the same shit setlist of 50 minutes since 1988. They literally play zero songs from their last two albums with the rare exception of Just because... For a band not to play at least one song from their last album is the ultimate declaration of defeat. White flag in the air...

My relationship to the Peppers is special, since my adventure with music began in the summer off 1999 when the Scar Tissue video was all over tv. I became a fan and that led me to OHM and later Jane's. But now looking at them I see that RHCP have exceeded Jane's in every way possible. They are long haul compared to flash in the pan Jane's. I believe that if Perry had any self awareness left, he would be embarressed by how the trajectories of these two bands unfolded. It was Kiedis and Flea and Fru watching Jane's in late 80s and being amazed, dumbfounded and questioning their own place in music and if they were event fit to do this shit. And now look at them...

As for Kiedis, he is an enigma. He can be famously bad live (cant hit the right notes, awful intonation, looses breath). He sometimes is spectacularly bad in his melodies and lyrics. I many times thought to myself: If i came up with this idea I would reject it and shittalk myself about how awful I am. Yet this guy puts so much of half baked or simply bad vocals out there for the world to see... Even on this album, there are several stinkers, especially in terms of his awkward bad chorus singing... But there are also some excellent moments when he shows super top notch talent. Hit and miss guy...

SR

#738 Post by SR » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:12 am

This thread is funny. I think the band would think so too. :boobs:

Tyler Durden

#739 Post by Tyler Durden » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:58 am

I'm not a die hard Chili Peppers fan by any means...but I think some of their (former) fans are way too hard on them. I mean, c'mon...this band was essentially a novelty act in the 80s. They had a gimmick that was thankfully accompanied by chops and Rick Rubin helped them hone their craft into something way bigger. While I was into their music in the mid to late 80s, I never in a million years would've thought they'd become one of the biggest bands in the world and of all time...nobody saw that coming. That being said, it's a huge accomplishment that we are even talking about this band 30+ years after they started. They easily could've been forgotten about or remembered as that cock-sock band from someone's college days back in the 80s.

Considering this is the band's 11th studio album, they at least deserve credit for not phoning it in...they've made an effort to try something different. Whether it's worked or not is pretty subjective. This band has gotten flack as far back as BSSM...some people at the time cried "sellout". And I would argue that any artist that exists beyond a certain number of years is going to misstep or not please everyone (especially the original fanbase who has a specific vision in mind for what the artist is supposed to be). Almost every band or film director eventually releases "subpar" work if they are around long enough. I'd rather see failed ambition than successful convention. If an artist I truly respect releases something I don't like, I generally have the attitude of "maybe next time".

However, the above does not apply to Jane's. They've only made two albums in the last 25 years...and neither were conceived with genuine intent. Their lazy aspirations since Ritual have been purely based on cashing in.

Larry B.

#740 Post by Larry B. » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:24 pm

I don't think it's about being too hard on them, it's just about recognising what songs are good or bad. Of course a lot has to do with taste, but since Californication they've been releasing so many songs that sound (and probably are) nothing but quick and lazy jams with the most stupid and lazy lyrics and melodies.

Let's take Dali as an example. He tried and tried and tried until he made it big. Melting clocks and all that. Made a movie, the hipsters loved it. He then "sold out" (some might say), designing the logo for Chupa-Chups and basically working in advertising. I think he designed a sofa and stuff like that. At some point, his work became rubbish and everything he did was shit. Many people liked it (or loved it) because it was Dali.

We didn't judge BSSM based on Mother's Milk, nor One Hot Minute based on BSSM. Many people did, but "we" didn't, because we know better. We didn't judge Ritual based on Nothing's Shocking, we just enjoyed each album for what it was, in that moment of our lives. This new album should be judged for what it is. And what it is is shit.

Tyler Durden

#741 Post by Tyler Durden » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:40 pm

Larry B. wrote:We didn't judge BSSM based on Mother's Milk, nor One Hot Minute based on BSSM. Many people did, but "we" didn't, because we know better. We didn't judge Ritual based on Nothing's Shocking, we just enjoyed each album for what it was, in that moment of our lives. This new album should be judged for what it is. And what it is is shit.
I hear what you're saying...you're judging the album on its own merit; fair enough.

As far as forming an opinion on it, I've only been listening to it since yesterday. I think that people in general make snap decisions about music since the dawn of downloading. People form an opinion on a song or an album in one afternoon...as opposed to when people used to buy physical music and digest it over weeks or months. We couldn't afford to instantly hate an album (though there may have been a few exceptions). In some cases, I didn't like an album I bought...and then dusted it off a few years later and realized it was a masterpiece (Smashing Pumpkins' Adore comes to mind).

I really don't have an opinion of this album yet (good or bad).

I just think that if RHCP isn't "delivering" for some older fans, I don't believe it's a complete and utter shit show. That kind of reception should be held for a far more "deserving" band, like say Ministry or something. :lol:

kv

#742 Post by kv » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:22 pm

but people have always done that...they listened to a new albums first single on the radio then made the snap decision to go buy the fucking album :noclue:
I mean, c'mon...this band was essentially a novelty act in the 80s. They had a gimmick that was thankfully accompanied by chops and Rick Rubin helped them hone their craft into something way bigger. While I was into their music in the mid to late 80s, I never in a million years would've thought they'd become one of the biggest bands in the world and of all time...nobody saw that coming.

are you high? everyone saw it coming they were huge coming up one of the biggest bands in la and a hard ticket to get because they sold out so fucking fast...girls fucking loved them

i mean they were in that burt lancaster & kirk douglas movie in like 86...you really saw flea for the first time and didn't think they'd be huge?

Tyler Durden

#743 Post by Tyler Durden » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:10 pm

kv wrote:but people have always done that...they listened to a new albums first single on the radio then made the snap decision to go buy the fucking album :noclue:
I mean, c'mon...this band was essentially a novelty act in the 80s. They had a gimmick that was thankfully accompanied by chops and Rick Rubin helped them hone their craft into something way bigger. While I was into their music in the mid to late 80s, I never in a million years would've thought they'd become one of the biggest bands in the world and of all time...nobody saw that coming.

are you high? everyone saw it coming they were huge coming up one of the biggest bands in la and a hard ticket to get because they sold out so fucking fast...girls fucking loved them

i mean they were in that burt lancaster & kirk douglas movie in like 86...you really saw flea for the first time and didn't think they'd be huge?
I'm not saying they weren't a great act by the late 80s or that they weren't going to be more popular and POTENTIALLY play arenas. But think about the culture in rock music at the time...bands like The Cult and Jane's Addiction just BARELY garnered enough of a following to play arenas (pre-Nirvana and the grunge explosion)...but neither of those bands were HUGE. Sure, RHCP were probably going to headline arenas at some point (in America, anyway)...but the vast majority of people weren't thinking that they were going to end up as one of the biggest bands of all time...NO WAY. It's easy to look back now and say it was an inevitability. Most people were lining up to see garbage like Def Leppard and Motley Crue before 1991. As much as I think those bands suck, if someone came to me in 1988 and said that RHCP will someday be playing stadiums around the world and their popularity will eclipse that of the aforementioned bands, I'd have said they were crazy. Hindsight is 20/20.

Even after One Hot Minute, the future of the band was pretty uncertain and they could've gone the way of Jane's (no longer relevant and occasionally touring a bunch of old, stale songs). Fruscante's return was their second chance and they ended up becoming even bigger than during their early 90s heyday. Their success pre-Californication may have made them one of the biggest bands of the 90s, but their continued success from 1999 onward is what has made them U2 and Metallica huge. People forget how precarious the fate of the Chili Peppers was throughout the 90s.

Tyler Durden

#744 Post by Tyler Durden » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:15 pm

kv wrote:but people have always done that...they listened to a new albums first single on the radio then made the snap decision to go buy the fucking album :noclue:
Yeah, and I always thought that was kind of dumb. Most of the time, the single wasn't necessarily indicative of the quality of the album. There would be a great lead single and then a shit album full of filler. Or you could get some super catchy single made to appease the suits at the label and then the rest of the album might be far less calculated. I don't know...I just reserve judgment until I've really given something a fair go (sure, there are exceptions).

kv

#745 Post by kv » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:30 pm

you can think it's dumb all you want but that's how it works :noclue:

and it's made to appease the masses to make more money...but of course you and i have different meters we judge by compared to the "masses"

i do agree the singles suck or to be more far are burnt out the fastest because of repeat play...i pretty much don't every wanna hear been caught or janes says again in this lifetime...i hate those are the songs the masses think of first.....bitch have you ever heard ted?!1!! lol or like the cure with lovecats back in the day :banghead: ...a new topic is coming