The Walking Dead (AMC)

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
nausearockpig

Re: The Walking Dead (AMC)

#61 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:17 pm

Jasper wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:Carl pisses me off.

Rick says "think" and then Carl goes and does the exact opposite of that. He doesn't tell anyone a murderous walker is hanging out near the house. He doesn't tell anyone he dropped the gun. He ruins Rick's concentration when he is about to off the kid.

I hope that little shit dies next.
Any kid would be completely fucked up from experiencing a zombie apocalypse. Yeah, you wanna smack him for all the fucked dumb shit he's doing, but I think the point is that he's all fucked up from these events, on top of having the normal curiosity and misbehavior of a kid.
in the context of what an adult "should" do, he fucked up badly, but as a kid (and one who is faced with zombies on a very regular basis) I guess it's not unexpected. He wouldn't have thought that the walker was gonna make it back to the ranch etc... we of course, know better... and BAM! Dale is a goner...

crater

#62 Post by crater » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:06 pm

I almost guessed what was going to happen last night correctly.

I thought that while the group was in the house debating on what to do with their hostage, that the walker that Carl found, would eventually make its way to the farm, then make its way into the barn, chomp the guy being held captive and then when the group made their decision, they would stumble upon the walker eating the guy chained up in the barn.

I'm actually glad it worked out the way it did though. The old guy was driving me crazy. Now if Carl and his mom are done away with, I'll be really happy.

Carl did say something I got a kick out of last night though, when he said "Heaven is a lie" and called that woman an idiot.

JOEinPHX

#63 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:11 am

Carl has been living in this world for a very long time now. There are no excuses for his behavior. He knows the rules he must play by in order to not die. And all of a sudden this week he decided to stop following the rules. Why?

Is he feeling somewhat suicidal over the loss of Sophia? Is it watching so many others die that he just doesn't care anymore? If he wants to live, and be a part of a very small group of people he supposedly cares about, then why is he not being protective?

He's being a little idiot, and he needs to be spanked. Or bitten. I'd truthfully rather see Carl and his mother offed.

nausearockpig

#64 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:24 pm

yeah i fucking hate that insipid annoying Lori... God just fucking die.... (her, not you).

crater

#65 Post by crater » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:06 pm

The one character I didn't want killed off, was killed off. Way to go :banghead:

Jasper

#66 Post by Jasper » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:38 pm

crater wrote:The one character I didn't want killed off, was killed off. Way to go :banghead:
[blink]SPOILERS BELOW[/blink]

Well, they held onto Shane for a long time. I think he got offed much earlier in the comics (by Carl). He was such a great character that they really kept him around as long as they could. Can't say it came as a surprise. It was inevitable that he was gonna be removed, and his story arc was just building towards that every day. Weird thing is, it seems like it might have been Lori apologizing to him that set him off more than anything else. My favorite character is still Daryl, but I'll miss having Shane to alternately hate, admire, and feel sorry for.

So, I thought this season began with a whimper, but they really turned it around. It's now matching its previous levels of excellence. Notice that those zombie security guards they encountered a couple of episodes back, the prisoner, and now Shane, turned into walkers when they died - without being bitten.

JOEinPHX

#67 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:16 pm

I agree. I am really going to miss hating Shane. He was a constant source of entertainment. He was the wildcard.

But yeah, the security guards... i don't think it's that the disease suddenly became airborne, i think it has been for a very long time and they are just now learning about it. Everyone is infected, but until they die... it doesn't manifest. Being bitten just hurries the death process along, it isn't necessarily what turns them.

At some point we're probably going to start seeing zombie animals too. That will add a new degree of difficulty.

Jasper

#68 Post by Jasper » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:44 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:I agree. I am really going to miss hating Shane. He was a constant source of entertainment. He was the wildcard.

But yeah, the security guards... i don't think it's that the disease suddenly became airborne, i think it has been for a very long time and they are just now learning about it. Everyone is infected, but until they die... it doesn't manifest. Being bitten just hurries the death process along, it isn't necessarily what turns them.

At some point we're probably going to start seeing zombie animals too. That will add a new degree of difficulty.
Well, Shane zombified in about a minute or so, and he was never bit. The blonde chick's sister got bit, and it was also a fatal wound. She died, was dead for hours, (through the rest of the night and into morning) then finally turned zombie. So I don't know if biting speeds it along. It might just be inconsistent writing in that case. I've read some of the comics, but I quit because I wanted the show to be a surprise. Luckily they change some stuff from the comics, but the big things remain pretty much the same, as far as I've read. The show greatly expands the comics, and just all-around better, unless you're a gigantic fan of comics or something.

With the security guards, they tuned zombie without apparent bite marks, but they didn't seem to have any other major wounds either, so how'd they die? Maybe they got food poisoning. :noclue: :lol: Maybe they were trapped in there surrounded by zombies and couldn't get out so that starved to death. :hs: Maybe the writers never bothered thinking about it that much. Maybe they had gunshot wounds and I didn't notice.

In any case, the next show is clearly going to be a bloodbath. Do you think anyone else from the farm will get killed? Seems highly possible. I like the old guy now, so I hope he lives. Daryl needs to live because he is now the best source of uncontrolled male aggression, and he's just a good character in general. Obviously Rick isn't going to bite it anytime soon.

Whatever the case, I'm not reading the comics anymore to find out. I'll wait. I have one other thought, but it's such a good guess (I think) that it seems like it borders on a spoiler. Who knows? I was right about Shane faking being attacked last week.

JOEinPHX

#69 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:33 pm

Well think of it this way... infections act differently in different bodies. And alot of it has to do with how long the infection has existed in that body (ie: how long it has had to replicate).

So someone freshly carrying it might take longer to become a zombie than someone who has carried it for a long time before dying. Maybe the human immune system even has alot to do with it. Someone with a weak immune system might not be able to fight off replication, and it would be stronger in them.

Maybe those security guards got infected and died, but it wasn't strong enough in their body to reanimate them.

Now if you're wondering how someone bitten turns so quick... because the disease has had time to get strong in the zombie body. The venom going into the person would be a massive dose of whatever they are carrying.

So once again, it's not the bite. They all are carriers, but to what extent depends on the person.

As far as the bloodbath... fuck yeah it's going to be a bloodbath. I think Daryl, Rick, Carl and Lori all make it for sure. I am not sure about Herschel. I like him now, I think he's seen the light and probably has alot of wisdom to dispense. He could be the new Dale of the group. The old voice of reason. I think there is some foreshadowing with Asian guy's inability to commit to Maggie. Either he will die, or she will. But not both. I'm guessing she's going to die. T Dogg.... hasn't had a fucking line in like 7 episodes. If anyone is easily written off, it's surely him. haha

Otherwise, I think alot of the deaths are going to be random members of Herschel's family that we have no attachment to. There will be a crapload of death, and one or 2 characters we know will get sacrificed, but no one super important. Even Herschel could die and it wouldn't matter.

But once they all survive the attack, or don't, we're getting a cliffhanger to hold us over for 9 damn months. What do you think it will be? I'm thinking someone shows up with new evidence about the disease. Or maybe they'll just leave it hanging with us wondering who actually survived. It will be a horrible tease, i know that.

Jasper

#70 Post by Jasper » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:00 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:Well think of it this way... infections act differently in different bodies. And alot of it has to do with how long the infection has existed in that body (ie: how long it has had to replicate).

So someone freshly carrying it might take longer to become a zombie than someone who has carried it for a long time before dying. Maybe the human immune system even has alot to do with it. Someone with a weak immune system might not be able to fight off replication, and it would be stronger in them.

Maybe those security guards got infected and died, but it wasn't strong enough in their body to reanimate them.

Now if you're wondering how someone bitten turns so quick... because the disease has had time to get strong in the zombie body. The venom going into the person would be a massive dose of whatever they are carrying.

So once again, it's not the bite. They all are carriers, but to what extent depends on the person.
Hooooold on there. Like I said, the blonde woman's sister, last season, got a direct and devastating (fatal, even) zombie bite, and it took her hours to turn. Shane, in perfect (physical, not mental) health turned in about one minute, without a bite. OK, he may have been carrying it longer because the sister died a couple months back (or however long it was - I can't tell) but who knows. Maybe now everyone will start turning instantly because the disease has had so much time to build up in the people of Earth.

As for the security guards, they were zombies and Rick and Shane put them down. They found no bites on them, but I don't remember them finding any reasons they would have died (as humans) in the first place. That's where they kind of lost me.

I guess I could see Maggie dying, but you've got to remember that they build tender moments before people die, so they'd have to have some lovey-dovey commitment before then, just like the blonde girl had in the canoe with her sister, or when Lori apologized to Shane.

I have a guess, not about the disease but another plot point, but like I said, it makes so much sense that it might be as good as a spoiler. Here it is, read it if you dare. I warned you:

Daryl's brother was never found, but obviously escaped from that rooftop (with one less hand). There's a sizable group of violent lunatic thugs somewhere near the farm. Doesn't it seem like such a group might be exactly where Daryl's brother would be? It's obvious the guy is supposed to reappear at some point. What could possibly make more sense than for him to be one of these thugs?

Jasper

#71 Post by Jasper » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:38 am

Oh yeah, the other thing I was gonna mention was the mammoth group of walkers bearing down on the area. This is going by the flashes they were showing at the very, very end of the last episode. Swarms of zombies coming through the woods. It reminds me of the first episode of the season - walkers traveling in a big group down the highway. One of the characters asks why there are so many going the same way at the same time. It seems that there is some kind of mindless herding behavior. Maybe that's why there seems to be a huge group heading in the direction of the farm, or town, or just the general vicinity.

I also remember them talking about winter. I wonder what happens when winter comes. Do zombies freeze, then thaw out in the spring? :lol: :confused:

JOEinPHX

#72 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:24 am

Jasper wrote:
Daryl's brother was never found, but obviously escaped from that rooftop (with one less hand). There's a sizable group of violent lunatic thugs somewhere near the farm. Doesn't it seem like such a group might be exactly where Daryl's brother would be? It's obvious the guy is supposed to reappear at some point. What could possibly make more sense than for him to be one of these thugs?
brother vs. brother, just like the civil war. except with zombies. haha

kv

#73 Post by kv » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:20 pm

just a thought but for these guys getting it without bites could it be an exposed wound thing? like the kid that was killed had cut wrists and shane had a busted nose...i guess the carl was shot...and exposed wound but maybe the virus changed or something who knows...and the security guards are a big unanswered but maybe thats just a writing fuck up

JOEinPHX

#74 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:37 pm

not open wounds. It's just a virus that takes over once brain activity ceases. Like a parasite.

blackcoffee

#75 Post by blackcoffee » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:14 pm

I read somewhere that Shane and others (the security guards or the kid in the barn) are turning because it suggests we've all got a bit of zombie in us now. Well, that sounds corny, but I like the idea and it raises the peril factor a bit.

Jasper

#76 Post by Jasper » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:21 pm

Well, yeah, that's what we've been talking about - everyone already being infected.

(Likely) [blink]SPOILERS BELOW[/blink]

CDC guy whispers some shit to Rick right before he (CDC guy) blows the place up - "Everybody's infected - everybody turns when they die."

P.S. [blink]I look for any excuse to use the blinky function.[/blink]

SR

#77 Post by SR » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:02 pm

Well, first time watching is the season finale. :lol:

SR

#78 Post by SR » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:03 pm

I must say that I am a little more than dissapointed in the manner they chose to prepare liver.

crater

#79 Post by crater » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:04 pm

I enjoyed that very much.

About time shit hit the fan again.

Big fan of angry Rick and what the hell was that thing with Andrea? If you know, DON'T SAY! I'm just wondering out loud and don't want to read it here.

Please stop posting spoilers. Even with the blinking text, it sucks that I can't read/post on this thread in fear that someone will slip up and post junk before it airs during the show. I would have been PISSED if I read that "everyone is infected" post before hearing it from Rick in the show.

Jasper

#80 Post by Jasper » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:15 am

I'm not into spoilers. The CDC thing was speculation. People have been speculating about that since it happened. I even read an article talking about how that was the most closely-guarded secret of the show. Once people started showing up turned without bites, it became more likely, or even obvious. The only comics I read were up until they were about to go to the CDC, because at the time that's what I'd watched on the show. After that I'd decided that the comics were so much weaker than the show, that I'd just watch the show in case the comics spoiled anything. Be aware that the comics and the show have many differences, including different characters. Different events happen. Remember when Shane was pointing the gun at Rick in the woods, way back in season one? In the comics, Carl shoots and kills Shane right then and there.

I am gonna speculate sometimes. If you don't want to read it, don't read it. There's no point to talking about it if we can't analyze and speculate. I guess you'd be bothered if Daryl's big bro had shown up as one of the bad guys, but that speculation of mine didn't happen. Maybe it still will, but I don't know, because it was speculation. Regardless, I warned people, because I thought it was a very solid guess. I still think it's obvious he's coming back at some point in some way, but I have absolutely zero information about that, and I'm not going to seek it out.

Anyway, crazy episode. Seemed like they followed the sound of the helicopter or something, then, after a long time, switched directions when they heard the shot that put down Shane (again). Maybe they instinctively go south for the winter. :noclue: I have NO IDEA what the deal was with Andrea, but I thought it could possibly be people from the bad guy group. It's obviously someone from some weird Road Warrior society.

kv

#81 Post by kv » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:56 am

if you don't want spoilers don't click the thread...

Jasper

#82 Post by Jasper » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:59 am

So, I went back and watched part of it again, and the hooded person had two armless walkers, each held by a chain that was attached to something that seemed to be covering its mouth. I don't know why someone would find that useful, but I'll be speculating on it, so you'd better watch out. :lol:

Maybe they're good at tracking animals. Maybe their stench keeps other walkers at bay. Maybe the three of them were best friends when they were all alive. Maybe it's just some freaky shit someone does when they've been driven mad by a zombie apocalypse. Maybe it scares off other, dangerous humans. Maybe they're good company. Maybe they're just pets. They probably have names...[blink]potential spoilers below[/blink]
Spot & Fido.

Glad this is coming back in the fall. I kind of hated it when they had that break over the winter holidays and such, but I do like the short time between seasons. Maybe shows should just stick in two-week breaks here or there, and never have a gigantically long break like we're used to suffering through. I think I might like that better, but I guess it would lead to more prime time competition that could hurt shows, as the likelihood of good shows overlapping on different networks would be greater, and it could even cause problems within the same network, I suppose. Fuck it - they should just shoot eight seasons of anything good, then release it all at once so I can watch it in two weeks. :lol:

nausearockpig

#83 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:23 am

those two chained, armless walkers are definitely to keep other walkers away with their stench. remember when any of our heroes shoots a walker and then rolls under it the rest can't see/smell them?

and they would need to be gagged to stop biting.. perfect...

god i can't wait till it comes back..

Matov

#84 Post by Matov » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:46 am

Jasper wrote:potential spoilers below
Spot & Fido.
:lol:

kv

#85 Post by kv » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:13 am

Jasper wrote:So, I went back and watched part of it again, and the hooded person had two armless walkers, each held by a chain that was attached to something that seemed to be covering its mouth. I don't know why someone would find that useful, but I'll be speculating on it, so you'd better watch out. :lol:
that was a mind fuck