Rediscovering Concrete Blonde

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Tyler Durden

Rediscovering Concrete Blonde

#1 Post by Tyler Durden » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:50 am

Concrete Blonde were one of those bands I used to listen to (along with The Cult) in the late 80s before I discovered Jane's and then everything was kind of left in their wake. I was into Concrete Blonde up to and including Bloodletting (saw them on that tour in 1991), but then I kind of lost interest when Walking In London came out. For some inexplicable reason, I have recently rediscovered them and am listening to bunch of their stuff that I had never heard before (mainly Walking In London, Mexican Moon, and the Still In Hollywood rarities album).

They kind of struck me then (as well as now) as a bit of a complimentary band to Jane's Addiction. They were both bands that were difficult to pigeonhole or market at the time in a pre-alternative/pre-grunge world. And like Jane's, they had an eclectic audience of goths, punks, hippies, metalheads, art rockers, etc. Their music mixed goth, David Lynch vibes, cowpunk, and so on together. Kind of an heir to the X sound. And Johnette Napolitano is one of the best female vocalist to ever walk the Earth, imo.

Anyway, any love for them on here?

phenobarb_bambalam

Re: Rediscovering Concrete Blonde

#2 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:13 am

Funny. I had a deep, but brief love for them, and then moved on. I got into Bloodletting at the time, then saw them in 1992 and thought they were fantastic.....but they soon flatlined after that. Not sure why. I go back to them once in a while and enjoy, but it mostly feels like very much of its time. Overall, I loved the songs and her voice, but I think it always fell short as I didn't really form any emotional connection with the work. Which I need, for longevity.

Something nudged me to randomly buy her 2007 solo album (Scarred), which I again liked and haven't listened to for well over 12 years until tonight. Saw her on that tour, and she was again fantastic. But then that was that.....

I came across this a while ago and really enjoyed it - despite the ropey recording, it was a bit of a gem given that it was a release party.

I'd go and see her again even now, but I think she leaves the desert much these days.

Thanks for the reminder.

Tyler Durden

#3 Post by Tyler Durden » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:30 am

phenobarb_bambalam wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:13 am
Funny. I had a deep, but brief love for them, and then moved on. I got into Bloodletting at the time, then saw them in 1992 and thought they were fantastic.....but they soon flatlined after that. Not sure why. I go back to them once in a while and enjoy, but it mostly feels like very much of its time. Overall, I loved the songs and her voice, but I think it always fell short as I didn't really form any emotional connection with the work. Which I need, for longevity.
It sounds like we had a similar experience. To me, there are a few variables for why this may have happened.

A LOT changed in the music industry between the release of Bloodletting and Walking In London; the sea change between 1990 and 1992 is one of the biggest the music industry has ever seen...arguably the biggest. In the early 1990s, there were so many "blockbuster" albums of the counterculture ilk, if your album was a not a perfect 10/10 masterpiece, your band and current work could easily slide through the cracks (which I believe happened with them). I feel like the same thing happened with The Cult. They released Ceremony on the same day as Nirvana's Nevermind and RHCP's Blood Sugar Sex Magic. The album floundered, commercially. As a fan of The Cult, I barely gave it any attention as there was so much other quality music being marketed to the masses at the time. Listening to Ceremony now, it's actually very good...just not a perfect 10/10 classic for the ages.

Also, Concrete Blonde started to lean heavier into their gothic tendencies, which was probably not for everyone. The music has a specific vibe and demands a specific mood from the listener.

Additionally, "Ghost of a Texas Ladies' Man" was not an ideal first single to lead with (for Walking In London). The western motifs and humour was a little too on the nose.

I hear what you're saying about the lack of emotional connection. Plenty of music that I really enjoy that is great...but it doesn't have that deeper connection to be top tier.

All of that being said, I'm enjoying Walking In London now. And Mexican Moon is quite good too.

kv

#4 Post by kv » Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:32 pm

loved them...saw them a bunch back in the day...what a voice

they def fit in with bands like X, and Jane's (peppers) at the time for LA icons...I liked them more early when they were more of a punk band...then the later lower energy stuff...

Artemis

#5 Post by Artemis » Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:01 pm

I liked-like- Concrete Blonde.

I'm not sure why Concrete Blonde didn't " stick" for me like other bands or singers. As Tyler suggested, perhaps the timing of what was happening in the music scene, pushed CB to the background for people, for me for sure.

Whenever got to bar with a good jukebox selection, I choose a Concrete Blonde song. Other people in the bar react with delight, like, "Oh, great tune. Haven't head it in ages"

I saw Johnette Napolitano opening for Paul Weller in 1997. At the time she had a solo album, can't recall the name now. Great voice, sounds even better live!