Taylor Hawkins Tribute Concert- London

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Artemis

Taylor Hawkins Tribute Concert- London

#1 Post by Artemis » Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:23 pm

For those interested, the Taylor Hawkins tribute concert in London is tomorrow.

Here's a link with how to watch. It starts at 10:30(CDT) in Canada/USA.

https://www.thecurrent.org/feature/2022 ... 7Rullwe5PQ
Saturday’s concert at London’s Wembley Stadium will be available for viewing worldwide through a series of partnerships between Foo Fighters and Paramount, which operates such outlets as CBS, MTV, Paramount+ and many other content platforms. The Taylor Hawkins Tribute Concert is set to begin at 4:30 p.m. British Summer Time, which is 10:30 a.m. Central Daylight Time.

Probably the easiest way for most people to watch is through the livestream offered through MTV’s YouTube channel.

I'm going to be honest, I'm rather surprised by these tributes. I didn't realize he was such a "heavy weight" for lack of a better term, to merit such recognition.

Hokahey
Site Admin

Re: Taylor Hawkins Tribute Concert- London

#2 Post by Hokahey » Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:45 pm

Artemis wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:23 pm
For those interested, the Taylor Hawkins tribute concert in London is tomorrow.

Here's a link with how to watch. It starts at 10:30(CDT) in Canada/USA.

https://www.thecurrent.org/feature/2022 ... 7Rullwe5PQ
Saturday’s concert at London’s Wembley Stadium will be available for viewing worldwide through a series of partnerships between Foo Fighters and Paramount, which operates such outlets as CBS, MTV, Paramount+ and many other content platforms. The Taylor Hawkins Tribute Concert is set to begin at 4:30 p.m. British Summer Time, which is 10:30 a.m. Central Daylight Time.

Probably the easiest way for most people to watch is through the livestream offered through MTV’s YouTube channel.

I'm going to be honest, I'm rather surprised by these tributes. I didn't realize he was such a "heavy weight" for lack of a better term, to merit such recognition.
I've given this similar consideration, but I think it's just a reflection of how many people have met him and loved him, and not so much about him being a rock legend. And I'm sure people want to support Dave.

SR

#3 Post by SR » Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:46 am

I think it's a really odd lineup. Tons of musicians that predated his debut in the scene. Lot's of crossover respect from others. But it's low end heavy....like that a lot.

Tyler Durden

#4 Post by Tyler Durden » Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:59 am

Artemis wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:23 pm

I think Taylor was a great artist…but definitely not a heavy weight. He benefited a lot from being in a band with Nirvana’s most famous drummer; hence, the number of big names attached to this.

When you think about the number of MASSIVE rock legends who have died and never received a tribute like this, it does make you scratch your head.

Tyler Durden

#5 Post by Tyler Durden » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:05 am

I find it super weird that Dave Navarro is not a part of this. Again, it speaks to my theory that there is something going on with Dave that is bigger than “long Covid”.

Tyler Durden

#6 Post by Tyler Durden » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:02 am

No one deserved to hear Dave Grohl’s daughter butcher Jeff Buckley. Rockstars need to keep their kids away from the stage. Ironic, considering Jeff was Tim Buckley’s son.

dannyboy

#7 Post by dannyboy » Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:10 pm

Chris Chaney is killing it, he's such a great bass player.

Fair play to Violet for getting up and singing at Wembley to pay tribute to Taylor.

Artemis

#8 Post by Artemis » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:54 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:05 am
I find it super weird that Dave Navarro is not a part of this. Again, it speaks to my theory that there is something going on with Dave that is bigger than “long Covid”.
Yes! Not even a video message! Not from Perry either. Maybe at the LA tribute concert they'll be "surprise" guests.

I agree with your other comment about the scale of this tribute and also what Hoka said. Same with SR, it is an odd lineup but after watching today, it makes more sense.

I watched most of the concert today and have to say I was pleasantly surprised and really enjoyed it.

Gaz was from Supergrass sounded great for Modern Love. The Bowie songs with Josh Homme, Omar Hakim, Nile Rogers were excellent!

Omar Hakim drumming for Rush was perfect! of all the drummers assembled there ,he is the top, imo. I enjoyed the story Geddy Lee shared, didn't know that Taylor drummed on YYZ at one of the Rush concerts.

James Gang were fantastic!

Them Crooked Vultures were great too. John Paul Jones was a looking a little frail, but he is 76.

So many really good performances. The tribute was put together well and organized.

Looking forward to watching the LA concert.

Chris Chaney played in a lot of songs! He was awesome as well.

Paul McCartney turning up was definitely a surprise, enjoyed the duet with Chrissie Hynde. I know it's her signature look, but I think she needs to lose the heavy black eye make-up, makes her look older, imo.

Chris Rock's anecdote was pretty cool too.

SR

#9 Post by SR » Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:32 am

Agreed Arty. The lineup did make sense as they stitched it together with Taylor. Don't know how Miley will fit in in LA though. I'd add Chappelle into the mix. He was as piercing and insightful as ever. Omar Hakim was just great, and a pleasure to see again. He's been at Berklee for a bit running his department. I've followed Chrissie for a while now on SM and when she posts lately it's about Dylan tributes and new music. Her fortified position has been no Pretenders hits live, and tough shit for anyone who doesn't like it. So, seeing Tattooed Love Boys and especially Precious was a treat for me. Her voice is still awesome. I think I read in Reckless that she despised Brass in Pocket, but as she said Taylor would have requested it. Still love that she addresses everyone as "girls". Grohl's endurance and musical flexibility are nothing short of bewildering. He really seems like an authentically beautiful guy. I still don't understand his song writing. :noclue:

Cheney was obviously motivated and emotional for this and I agree with those who say he played great. Funny too he played so much with Freese...someone compared Cheney on bass was like Josh on drums. I even enjoyed Grohl's daughter's version of Valerie. The cringey moments for me were Niles weird and irrelevant comments and Brian Johnson and the lead singer of Coattail Riders fighting for the mic. Paul should never sing Helter Skelter again. Liam Gallagher has a seriously weird vibe.

And the question remains, who will replace TH in FF?

someguy

#10 Post by someguy » Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:01 am

I watched it on and off thru out the day. They did show a picture of NHC on the Jumbotron. Really great performances- I’m not sure what a lot of artists had do with him but I think overall he was a music lover and he would’ve got a real kick out of it. It was enough for Wolfgang Van Halen to play VH songs so that says something.

I would hope Janes is a surprise guest for the LA shows but It might be a sensitive situation with Chris.

As for the Foo Fighters set… I never thought I would see them play these songs without Taylor. Josh Freese was a machine and if they wanted to tour he would be perfectly serviceable. I think the one who fit the most was Shane Hawkins. He had tempo issues but for a 15 year old he fucking killed it. He looks like a natural on the kit and the older he gets with more experience and practice he’s going to be unbelievable. At the end I had same feeling I did with the Cornell tribute- interesting but sad that it even had to happen. I also realized he was the perfect foil for Dave and there is a big piece missing there.

I went to see RHCP last night too and Chad was visibly upset toward end because they were showing Taylor signs on the big screen. He had a nice tribute at the end pointing to the sky

SR

#11 Post by SR » Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:11 am

Stewart Copeland posted an article and poll with these drummers on it to settle in behind the FF. Of course, all his fans voted for him. I don't know the majority of their catalogue, but from what I have seen live, I think Joey Castillo would fit well.

Dave Grohl

Chad Smith

Matt Cameron

Oliver Hawkins

Nandi Bushell

Travis Barker

Stewart Copeland

Martin Chambers

https://www.billboard.com/music/music-n ... PK6kh6-HdU

thoreau

#12 Post by thoreau » Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:40 pm

SR wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:11 am
Stewart Copeland posted an article and poll with these drummers on it to settle in behind the FF. Of course, all his fans voted for him. I don't know the majority of their catalogue, but from what I have seen live, I think Joey Castillo would fit well.

Dave Grohl

Chad Smith

Matt Cameron

Oliver Hawkins

Nandi Bushell

Travis Barker

Stewart Copeland

Martin Chambers

https://www.billboard.com/music/music-n ... PK6kh6-HdU
Joey's in pretty deep with Circle Jerks now. Wonder if he'd jump.

SR

#13 Post by SR » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:42 am

Yeah, and who knows if he's been on the foos radar. I just think he'd match the DG's energy live. Taylor had to get used to DG's manic level demands in the studio for the band. Castillo was the victim of Josh in that regard in QOTSA.

SR

#14 Post by SR » Sun May 21, 2023 12:42 pm

It's Josh Freese for the tour.

someguy

#15 Post by someguy » Sun May 21, 2023 3:09 pm

I watched the stream- he’s the right choice for them for sure. He has a resume like everyone else in the band. When I watched the tribute concerts back in September, I thought he was by far the best out of everyone who sat in.

I also read that he was close to getting the gig initially before Taylor stepped in back in 1997. Kind of a full circle moment for those guys

SR

#16 Post by SR » Sun May 21, 2023 7:58 pm

He's an amazing drummer. :nod:

clickie

#17 Post by clickie » Sun May 21, 2023 11:45 pm

I was wondering who was going to take the spot because I saw they were headlining riotfest

Mescal

#18 Post by Mescal » Sun May 21, 2023 11:58 pm

clickie wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 11:45 pm
I was wondering who was going to take the spot because I saw they were headlining riotfest

Wow! Great lineup

clickie

#19 Post by clickie » Tue May 23, 2023 3:24 pm

Mescal wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 11:58 pm

Wow! Great lineup
You're only saying that because you saw Corey Feldman's name on the list.