PWR BTTM

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Hype

Re: PWR BTTM

#21 Post by Hype » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:03 am

kv wrote:Ya the Lowfi HiFi divide is very real thing...I had a long Convo with one of my friends about it two weeks ago...I'd made a song were we recorded a extra guitar track with speakers up to add noise...My buddy was confused by the noise...And when I told him it was on purpose he was so fucking annoyed as to why we'd intentionally muddyed it up...."it sounded too clean had to be done" just complete confusion....made me laugh

It's just tastes again :noclue: I listened to too much Lowfi as a youth, it's ingrained in me

Of course my buddy is all about protooling stuff until it's sterile to me..Cut and pasteing, making everything perfect... :jasper: fuck metronomes record shit live till you get it right or close enough :lolol:
I have a bunch of friends like this too. I call them "technician musicians" -- as opposed to artists. They're really incredible technically -- perfect knowledge of music theory, multi-instrumentalists, protools, etc. But sitting through their tracks is painful... they craft these perfect soundscapes without creating something I would call a song. :confused: They're like: "Yeah, but can't you hear how nice that sound is?!" and I'm like: "Yeah, but... like... I don't always like nice sounds. I also like things I don't expect, and interesting shit."

I think it probably tracks the lo-fi hi-fi divide, but then I was thinking about Frank Zappa v. Captain Beefheart. Frank was obsessive about musicianship (timing, composition, etc); Beefheart, not so much. But Frank made a lot of songs that didn't SOUND like they were beaten into perfection, and Beefheart often sounded like he crafted that shit. :hs:

kv

#22 Post by kv » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:34 am

It's a age related/tech divide too..25 years ago most everyone was on 4 or 8 tracks...Now most kids have their laptops and software plus a free range of effects

Hype

#23 Post by Hype » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:00 am

Yeah. I have one of these:

It's pretty cool for looping/beats. Plus then I can plug a guitar/keyboard in and play a couple of notes/riffs and put them all together into a thing I could never play live. :lol:

Xizen47

#24 Post by Xizen47 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:30 am

Hype wrote:Yeah. I have one of these:

It's pretty cool for looping/beats. Plus then I can plug a guitar/keyboard in and play a couple of notes/riffs and put them all together into a thing I could never play live. :lol:
I do the same thing :nod: Love the Kaossilator, not bad for something under $100

Hype

#25 Post by Hype » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:02 pm

Xizen47 wrote:
Hype wrote:Yeah. I have one of these:

I do the same thing :nod: Love the Kaossilator, not bad for something under $100
When I first got it, I used a post-it note and a ruler to mark off every single different "note" on the pad, and then used a stylus to hit them more accurately. That way you can also "write" a beat down in a reusable notation so you can play it again if you need to. I guess now they have software synths that you can either play virtually or program. :noclue:

Xizen47

#26 Post by Xizen47 » Fri May 12, 2017 4:35 pm

Looks like Pwrbttms in some dp sht

http://pitchfork.com/news/73450-pwr-btt ... ntroversy/

death blow

SR

#27 Post by SR » Fri May 12, 2017 4:52 pm

Didn't check link, but saw that a lot of dominoes are tumbling for them today and they are responding in really strange ways.....such as inviting the accusors to email the accused to discuss the matters. :crazy:

I didn't like the vids posted in this thread but after the news today went back to revisit and found this, which I liked quite a lot (except a few, especially the texting song). Anyways, sucks.....

Hype

#28 Post by Hype » Sat May 13, 2017 11:24 am

Yeah. Looks like this was somewhat orchestrated -- everyone bailed as soon as it became public. It's awful, because the new album just got some pretty rave reviews, and it's over before it even began.

I like the music, but I'm over it... I have no desire to waste time and energy figuring out how to navigate this clusterfuck.

Hype

#29 Post by Hype » Sun May 14, 2017 8:49 pm

Hype wrote:Yeah. Looks like this was somewhat orchestrated -- everyone bailed as soon as it became public. It's awful, because the new album just got some pretty rave reviews, and it's over before it even began.

I like the music, but I'm over it... I have no desire to waste time and energy figuring out how to navigate this clusterfuck.
Band is done:

http://pitchfork.com/news/73473-pwr-btt ... ur-report/

It's a damned shame. I really liked the music.

SR

#30 Post by SR » Mon May 15, 2017 5:46 am

Hype wrote:
Hype wrote:Yeah. Looks like this was somewhat orchestrated -- everyone bailed as soon as it became public. It's awful, because the new album just got some pretty rave reviews, and it's over before it even began.

Band is done:

http://pitchfork.com/news/73473-pwr-btt ... ur-report/

It's a damned shame. I really liked the music.
Still will/may.

What's with the anti Semitism charges? How did these manifest?

Hype

#31 Post by Hype » Mon May 15, 2017 12:48 pm

Got word that the show will be fully refunded automatically, so at least that won't be a hassle.

The "anti-semitism" charges are due to a photo of the douche smiling after having drawn a swastika in the sand at a beach six years ago. Apparently last year it came up and there was a pseudo-apology that blamed being young and dumb -- okay, maybe that's true, but apparently you can also be six years older and still dumb, just differently. A lot of people pointed out that teenagers know why it's a bad idea to go around drawing swastikas and smiling about it... so it's hard to understand what "it was six years ago" is supposed to do. We all say and do dumb things, but generally if you're portraying yourself as a supporter of minority rights and making that a focus of your public persona, it's a good idea to not also be a flippant dick about other minorities. Would be like Black Lives Matter protesters saying "fuck Syrians" or something. :confused:

SR

#32 Post by SR » Tue May 16, 2017 6:04 am

ITunes dropped all their music.

Hype

#33 Post by Hype » Tue May 16, 2017 6:51 am

I guess the only thing left to wonder about is whether this response of everyone around them dropping them is due to people behind the scenes knowing more about the situation than is publicly available, or just a particularly harsh response to the accusation. Someone pointed out that Gary Glitter's music is still out there on Spotify, etc., and that dude was a horrible human being.

SR

#34 Post by SR » Tue May 16, 2017 7:15 am

Yeah, I thought about this too....if they were a more established band, more profitable, proven, etc would there be a concerted effort for some damage control? And yes, there is that x factor....what is known about the alleged offenses? They might just be off the charts barbaric.