Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
nausearockpig

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi

#1 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:11 pm

So the new Star Wars film has a title - "The Last Jedi".......

http://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2017/01/ ... -jedi.html

nausearockpig

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi

#2 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:34 pm

I love how the titles of VIII references the crawl in VII. Continuity!

blackula

#3 Post by blackula » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:55 pm

I'm intrigued. Jedi can be plural, or it is not. Wonder when we'll get a trailer.

nausearockpig

#4 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:29 pm

blackula wrote:I'm intrigued. Jedi can be plural, or it is not. Wonder when we'll get a trailer.
Yeah I wonder if the title refers to Luke only, if so is it about the hunt for him, what he's doing with Rey-Rey, or the fall of the Jedi Order as seen in Rey-Rey's vision, or if it means that he's training Rey-Rey and they both together as The Last Jedi go and confront the baddies.......

kv

#5 Post by kv » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:21 am

The last Jedi...Until there are more?

nausearockpig

#6 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:45 am

To bring peace for a thousand generations. Like before the empire, before the dark times....

MYXYLPLYX

#7 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:34 am

I'm puzzling over the red outline... typically that was used by Lucas for the concluding episode of the trilogy - episode VI Return of the Jedi and episode III The Revenge of the Sith.

Either an aesthetic choice or some serious foreshadowing?

:hs:

JOEinPHX

#8 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:13 pm

kv wrote:The last Jedi...Until there are more?
Exactly what I thought.

Although Snoke doesn't seem to be a Sith Lord and I don't think Kylo Ren ever will be either. If the Sith are gone, it's possible the Jedi designation might follow.

Not necessarily probable, but possible.

cursed male

#9 Post by cursed male » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:11 pm

Until Luke has trained Rey (I'd imagine).

Pandemonium

#10 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:40 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Exactly what I thought.

Although Snoke doesn't seem to be a Sith Lord and I don't think Kylo Ren ever will be either. If the Sith are gone, it's possible the Jedi designation might follow.

Come on, it's like Star Trek without Klingons and Vulcans. You're always going to have Sith and Jedi in some fashion.

nausearockpig

#11 Post by nausearockpig » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:01 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
Exactly what I thought.

Come on, it's like Star Trek without Klingons and Vulcans. You're always going to have Sith and Jedi in some fashion.
I would tend to agree, I think we will see the Sith again in VIII and IX..

Remember: So far, and maybe to the rest of the univers, Snoke is known as "Supreme Leader Snoke", just as Palps was known as "Emperor Palpatine" to all but a select few. Only Palpy's many apprentices, Obi-Wan, Yoda and maybe some others (Bail, Liea, and a few other trusted "in the know" peeps) knew he was Darth Sidious.. So it's totally possible that Snoke is a Sith and has a Darth title, but we haven't heard it yet... It's not like Kylo would call him Darth PoopyPants in front of others, in the same way Vader didn't address, or speak about Palps as "Darth Sidious"....

Mind you, given "The Rule of Two", the Knights of Ren is a spanner in that works, but Kylo could be Darth Apprentice AND leader of the Knights of Ren - KoR could be a bunch of enforcers similar to the Inquisitors we're seeing in Rebels....... Or not...

Also, YUM:

cursed male

#12 Post by cursed male » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:55 pm

International Titles Confirm ‘The Last Jedi’ Is Plural
17 February 2017

The initial reaction to the news that Rian Johnson‘s upcoming Star Wars movie would be titled 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' went something like this: “Ooh. That’s a cool title! But what does it mean? Who is the last Jedi? Is it Luke? Is it Rey? Wait…the plural form of Jedi is Jedi, so maybe it’s referring to both of them? Well, I guess we’re going to have to wait until the official international translations arrive, which should shed some light on this English language predicament!”

And here we are: the international translations have arrived and 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' is plural, meaning that the title is in reference to more than one Jedi Knight.

http://www.slashfilm.com/the-last-jedi-plural-title/

nausearockpig

#13 Post by nausearockpig » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:43 pm

Matz

#14 Post by Matz » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:50 pm

looks all right, I guess. A little hard to tell from a 2 minute trailer, give us a half hour for gods sake

nausearockpig

#15 Post by nausearockpig » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:23 pm

I like hot marketing strategy!

For the mega nerds:

perkana

#16 Post by perkana » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:35 pm

This is the second contest I've entered online (first one was to win a a bass lesson with Flea):
Support UNICEF and Starlight Children's Foundation and

Win the Three Most Epic Star Wars Experiences Ever

Spend the night at Skywalker Ranch

Visit the set of the upcoming Han Solo movie and have a chance to appear in the film

Join forces with the cast at the premiere of Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Flights and accommodations for winners and guests provided
https://www.omaze.com/experiences/Star-Wars-40th

JOEinPHX

#17 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:07 pm

Matz wrote:looks all right, I guess. A little hard to tell from a 2 minute trailer, give us a half hour for gods sake
Or like 120 minutes!

MYXYLPLYX

#19 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:46 pm

Yeah, like the author says, they've been hinting at the idea of a middle path for a while across the Disney Star Wars multiverse.

In Star Wars Rebels the animated show (hey, I've got two young kids so I'm allowed to watch) they introduced the character Bendu:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bendu

He basically called out both Jedi and Sith as stupid... something heretofore unknown in Star Wars lore.

nausearockpig

#20 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:47 pm

Yup. Rebels is awesome.. A few episodes are a bit kiddie, but a lot of it is aimed way above.... For instance the end of season 2....

I think the title of the movie, and what Luke says hints not at the destruction of them being the Jedi, but the evolution of these two (or more ?) people (ReyRey and Luke) as being something better than Jedi to beat these non-Sithies...

I did see that Disney/Lucasfilm is considering the movies after this sequel trilogy to NOT follow the Skywalker clan's stories... I think that is a poor idea...... Sure, have your spin-offs but always keep the Skywalkers as the main bodies in the movies... Some of the pre-Disney acquisition comics such as Star Wars Legacy (vol 1) focused on Cade Skywalker, a descendant of Luke, but didn't go into detail as to what the connection was.. that was cool and kept to the Skywalker lineage.... http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cade_Skywalker

blackula

#21 Post by blackula » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:18 am

The Last Jedi was awesome! From what I’ve read fans are split, loved it or hated it. I loved it. Lots of twists which really broke the trilogy pattern that many complained about, TFA mirroring ANH, this is not an ESB ripoff.

blackcoffee

#22 Post by blackcoffee » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:18 pm

I enjoyed it, but wasn't blown away. It had too much cute in it for my taste. I liked how Force Awakens avoided any silliness.

blackula

#23 Post by blackula » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:37 pm

blackcoffee wrote:I enjoyed it, but wasn't blown away. It had too much cute in it for my taste. I liked how Force Awakens avoided any silliness.
Yeah, my only real criticism is it’s too funny, or tries to be. A few times I thought to myself “enough already!” but I wasn’t taken out of it from some of the forced one liners. Only other thing was the sometimes disjointed back and forth between plot lines, at times it didn’t totally flow but then something really cool would happen and I’d be re-engaged. The anti TLJ arguments are pure story telling disagreements. I’m totally cool with TLJ, I enjoyed the story and look forward to the next one.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#24 Post by Hokahey » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:50 pm

Awful dialogue, terrible humor, makes Snoke pointless, makes Rey uninteresting, makes Luke a whiny baby, etc etc. Terrible movie.

Everybody's Friend

#25 Post by Everybody's Friend » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:44 am

Hokahey wrote:Awful dialogue, terrible humor, makes Snoke pointless, makes Rey uninteresting, makes Luke a whiny baby, etc etc. Terrible movie.
:thumb: