The final Tragically Hip concert- tonight 8.20.16

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Artemis

The final Tragically Hip concert- tonight 8.20.16

#1 Post by Artemis » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:57 am

I doubt anybody here besides Tyler Durden and Hype will be watching this...but here's some info on how to watch.

Showtime is 8:30(EDT)

Even though I'm not a hardcore fan, I am going to watch tonight. Over the years, I've seen the band about 3 or 4 times and it was always a good time. The fans REALLY get into the shows. I like some songs, but that's about it.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/how-to-watc ... -1.3724916
The countdown is on. Tragically Hip fans across Canada are prepping for the Man Machine Poem tour finale in the band's hometown of Kingston, Ont., on Saturday.

Emotions of Hip devotees have been high since the iconic band revealed that frontman Gord Downie had been diagnosed with an aggressive, incurable form of brain cancer.

With Kingston's Rogers K-Rock Centre able to hold fewer than 6,000 people, most Hip fans plan to tune into the concert via CBC, which is broadcasting and streaming the show live and commercial free: online, and on television and radio.

As of 5 p.m. ET on Friday, 436 community viewing parties were scheduled. Parties were planned from Yukon's Marsh Lake Community Centre, to Victoria Park in Charlottetown — as well as internationally, with approved as well as fan-organized screenings in New York, London, Los Angeles and Mexico, and in Rio de Janeiro as the Brazilian city prepares to wrap up the Summer Olympics.

The Tragically Hip concert begins at 8:30 p.m. ET Saturday and will be broadcast nationally and streamed around the globe, in its entirety.

There will be no on-demand, nor online streaming playback, of the full event following the live show.

Watch or listen online (worldwide):

CBCMusic.ca/thehip.
CBCNews.ca.
CBCSports.ca.
​The CBC Music app (for Apple and Android devices).
CBC Music on Apple TV.
Youtube.com/cbcmusic.
Facebook.com/cbcmusic.
​ICIMusique.ca.
Watch (nationally):

CBC Television
Listen (nationally):

CBC Radio One
CBC Radio 2
CBC Radio One on Sirius XM Channel 169

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... er-w435020

I can't imagine how Gord Downie is feeling. All these concerts are like attending your own wake while alive. :nyrexall:

One of my fave TH songs:

Artemis

Re: The final Tragically Hip concert- tonight 8.20.16

#2 Post by Artemis » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:06 pm

I like this song too...

From the show in Hamilton,ON on Aug 16/16

In the vid you can see Gord Downie in tears.. :nyrexall:

Artemis

#3 Post by Artemis » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:59 pm

Justin Trudeau is attending the concert. :love:

I think it's amazing that the entire country is gathering together from small town and cities to watch this concert. :cool:

kv

#4 Post by kv » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:58 am

Oh Canada, nevermind...

Artemis

#5 Post by Artemis » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:01 am

Sorry, kv.. :hide: :lol:

Tyler Durden

#6 Post by Tyler Durden » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:20 pm

It was so great! Speechless...I can't articulate all of my feelings over this...but I will try. Some of this has been bottled up for a while, as I was waiting for a fellow Canadian or international Hip fan to start a thread on Gord and the band following the announcement of his physical health and final tour.

Let me first say, there was a time when The Hip was slightly polarizing to Canadian music fans. The nature of their music and popularity reached everyone from meat and potatoes, bar band patriots to folky, intellectual, alt hipsters. In the mid 90s, they were like Pearl Jam...so HUGE, many people, including even some of their big fans got to the point where they were annoyed by the over exposure in the media or the masses of casual music listeners who hitched a ride on their wagon. Though I really liked the Hip then, I had great disdain for every single hockey dude who didn't know shit about music, yet worshipped at the altar of Gord Downie. Hell, Gord Downie didn't even understand a lot of these people (proud nationalist types). Anyway, it may have been cool in some circles to "hate" on The Hip during their heyday...but that was a long time ago. Any music fan over the age of 30 who still dislikes this band needs a serious reality check...they've reached the ranks of Neil Young, Leonard, Cohen, The Band, Joni Mitchell, etc.

Ok, so the show...

"Grace, Too" last night, was the best version of it I have ever seen them do. Absolutely amazing. The whole show kicked ass. While they held out on deeper cuts for the most part, they delivered what most people wanted...a very long list of their most recognizable tracks. Given the footage during the credits (of much better quality than what the CBC could deliver in real time), I would imagine that the band is going to release a doc and/or concert from this tour.

Gord's shoutouts to Justin Trudeau were awesome. His praise that he is a good man and is going to take this country in the direction we need to go was nice to hear...and I felt like it was a bit of a snub to The Hip's conservative, brainless "rock" fans. Justin gets a lot of unwarranted "hate" from right wingers and ultra leftists alike. It's ridiculous.

In typical Gord Downie fashion, he also held Justin's feet to the fire over what our government should be doing to rectify the issues affecting First Nations in our country. Any change that is made will in all likelihood, be very incremental. The usual in politics...and I don't blame any specific person or party for that. The way in which most countries govern is out of date and/or corrupt.

There's been a lot of trash talk about Trudeau over the last few days by so called Hip fans. When some conservative fans learned that Justin was going to be at the show, the "go to" mudslinging started with the usual insults about Trudeau not working hard for Canada and finding excuses to make things about him and take lots of selfies. That being said, the official Tragically Hip Facebook page posted a pic of Justin and Gord embracing. It's safe to say that Gord Downie and Justin Trudeau have a mutual, genuine admiration for each other. Too bad that a vocal minority of idiots on social want to turn Justin's genuine love of the Tragically Hip and his public display of support for a dying man into some political bullshit.

Yesterday/last night just wasn't the time for attempting to divide people along political lines. The photo of Gord and Justin is beautiful; history in the making. It's not a photo opp between prime minister and rockstar...but a candid moment between a fan (Justin) consoling his hero (Gord). Two human beings. Could you imagine a photo of Obama hugging Springsteen? People lose their minds over shit that they should be cheering over.

Hype

#7 Post by Hype » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:31 pm

I missed it because I was at the cottage, getting wasted, which I think is what Gord would have wanted ( :neutral: ) ... but I saw photos of my old neighbourhood in Kingston and it looked incredible.

I don't dislike the Hip, but I was never a fan, and I'm still not. As stupid as this will sound, as far as bands from Kingston, Ontario, Canada go, I always preferred the Headstones. :lol: But I understand why they are Canadian icons, and I understand why everyone's so sad. It is sad.

kv

#8 Post by kv » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:33 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:Any music fan over the age of 30 who still dislikes this band needs a serious reality check...they've reached the ranks of Neil Young, Leonard, Cohen, The Band, Joni Mitchell, etc.
I can appreciate the connection going on with a dying man.... but come the fuck on....

Musically they bore the shit outa me in the same way hootie and the blowfish, John melloncamp, sheryl crow or counting crows did...they were Canada version of these boring ass bands....to me of course...and the vast majority of Americans...let's be honest...I would have never known about the last show if not for this thread

All that said I get for you guys it was about more then music

I close with a picture of Bruce Springsteen and Obama hugging...you never knew it existed because nobody here cared about that either :lolol:

https://goo.gl/images/JMyKIW

Hype

#9 Post by Hype » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:02 pm

I always thought of them as Canada's version of REM...

creep
Site Admin

#10 Post by creep » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:10 pm

rem are good though. i have never heard them before i clicked on one of the videos in this thread.

Hype

#11 Post by Hype » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:15 pm

creep wrote:rem are good though. i have never heard them before i clicked on one of the videos in this thread.
Yeah, I know... Canadian radio regulations ("Cancon") require a portion of every hour (I think 35%) be "Canadian Content". So there's always been a cottage industry of promoting certain Canadian bands that sound a lot like really big American bands. So you had our Sum 41 and Treble Charger for your... Linkin Park, or Blink 182 or whatever. I Mother Earth and Our Lady Peace were our versions of... hmm... Jane's Addiction/Blind Melon, and I don't know... Bush I guess. The Headstones and The Tragically Hip were like REM and Big Sugar... or something. We also had Matthew Good Band and Moist, which I guess is like Dave Matthews Band and .. hmm... Bush... again, I guess. Some of these bands released some decent music along the way, but a lot of it was just clearly rip-off garbage.

creep
Site Admin

#12 Post by creep » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:20 pm

Hype wrote:
Yeah, I know... Canadian radio regulations ("Cancon") require a portion of every hour (I think 35%) be "Canadian Content".
weird...

good for canadian bands i guess

my favorite canadian band is probably loverboy...well i did like them. :noclue:

Hype

#13 Post by Hype » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:24 pm

creep wrote:
Hype wrote:
Yeah, I know... Canadian radio regulations ("Cancon") require a portion of every hour (I think 35%) be "Canadian Content".
weird...

good for canadian bands i guess

my favorite canadian band is probably loverboy...well i did like them. :noclue:
I was operating on dated info... It's 40% now. :neutral:
The percentage was increased to 30% in the 1980s, and to 35% effective January 3, 1999. However, most new commercial radio stations licensed since 1999 have been licensed at 40%
That just seems cruel. Canada is 10% the size of the United States, but the difference between American and Canadian levels of media and arts production has to be even greater than that... so it just means our radio stations play a lot of lame/same music ad nauseam to fill the reqs.

Artemis

#14 Post by Artemis » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:44 pm

Hype wrote:I always thought of them as Canada's version of REM...
Yea, REM crossed with Bruce Springsteen.

I think Gord Downie is a great writer and story teller, but the actual music doesn't keep me interested.

Heard on the news today that over 11 million Canadians watched the final show! :yikes:

I admire Gord Downie's courage for deciding to do these shows. During the concert last night there were moments where he looked really old and tired for a 52 year old man. I know that's from the cancer and the treatments.

Tyler Durden

#15 Post by Tyler Durden » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:49 pm

kv wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:Any music fan over the age of 30 who still dislikes this band needs a serious reality check...they've reached the ranks of Neil Young, Leonard, Cohen, The Band, Joni Mitchell, etc.
I can appreciate the connection going on with a dying man.... but come the fuck on....

Musically they bore the shit outa me in the same way hootie and the blowfish, John melloncamp, sheryl crow or counting crows did...they were Canada version of these boring ass bands....to me of course...and the vast majority of Americans...let's be honest...I would have never known about the last show if not for this thread
I was referring to CANADIAN music fans. If you're not Canadian, you really won't get the lyrics to many of their songs; they are steeped in our history and lore.

However, that being said...they are our R.E.M. mixed with Pearl Jam. They have sold more albums in Canada than Rush and U2...and they've had TONS of hits over the last 25+ years. Here, they are MAMMOTH. If you're Canadian, this band is in your DNA. Hype's opinion doesn't count...he doesn't even like Star Wars (1977). :lol:

Their latest single...pretty fucking solid for band that's been around since the mid 80s...

Artemis

#16 Post by Artemis » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:58 pm

Speaking of Pearl Jam...

Last night in Chicago, Eddie Vedder dedicated the song “Light Years” to the Tragicall Hip.

kv

#17 Post by kv » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:07 pm

Oh ok Tyler...if you were just speaking for Canada then I have zero problem with what you said

Cheers glad it was special

JOEinPHX

#18 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:00 am

kv wrote:

All that said I get for you guys it was about more then music

I close with a picture of Bruce Springsteen and Obama hugging...you never knew it existed because nobody here cared about that either :lolol:

https://goo.gl/images/JMyKIW
It's alright to let people say goodbye to a band that is literally dying, without being a twatwaffle.

Save the venom for when bands like Jane's continue to shit on their legacy.

kv

#19 Post by kv » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:15 am

Oh shush... you're one to talk

Hype

#20 Post by Hype » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:44 am

There are some Hip songs that are sort of quintessentially "Canadian", where all Canadians between about 30-50 know them, even if they don't like them. In that way, the Hip are EXACTLY like Springsteen.

Here's a song about the guy who died after he helped win the last time the Toronto Maple Leafs won the Stanley Cup:

Here's a song about Ontario cottage country:

Here's a song that just uses percussive strumming and jangly major/minor chords to make people tap their fingers at the doctor's office while they're waiting:

Here is a Tragically Hip fan watching the concert on Canadian national broadcaster CBC's live-stream:

kv

#21 Post by kv » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:48 am

Hype wrote: Here is a Tragically Hip fan watching the concert on Canadian national broadcaster CBC's live-stream:

LOL

Silly flapper heads

Hype

#22 Post by Hype » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:50 am

The most Canadian singer isn't Gord Downie of the Hip though. It's Stompin' Tom, who's been dead for a few years. He was our CanCon Johnny Cash.

Tyler Durden

#23 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:01 am

While most Canadians were somewhere watching the Tragically Hip show Saturday night, Blue Rodeo played Toronto and honoured the band with a cover of "Bobcaygeon".

Tyler Durden

#24 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:12 pm

In Canada, politicians don't kiss your baby, they steal your poutine...

Hype

#25 Post by Hype » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:40 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:In Canada, politicians don't kiss your baby, they steal your poutine...

I lived down the road from Market Square for years. It's weird seeing it that buzzing. I bet it's Bubba's poutine.