Comic Books

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
nausearockpig

Comic Books

#1 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:53 pm

No comics topic so here it is. Currently I'm reading these:

ACTION COMICS
ALL STAR BATMAN
ASTRO CITY
BATGIRL
BATGIRL and THE BIRDS OF PREY
BATMAN
BATMAN BEYOND
DARTH VADER
DETECTIVE COMICS
EARTH 2: SOCIETY
EXODUS, THE LIFE AFTER
FASTER THAN LIGHT
GREEN LANTERNS
HAL JORDAN & THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS
IMAGE +
INVINCIBLE
JUSTICE LEAGUE
JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA
LETTER 44
LUCIFER
MANHATTAN PROJECTS: SUN BEYOND THE STARS
NEW SUPER-MAN
NIGHTWING
NOWHERE MEN
OUTCAST
POE DAMERON
PUNISHER, THE
SAGA
SPAWN
SPIDER-MAN 2099
STAR WARS
SUPER SONS
SUPERGIRL
SUPERMAN
SUPERWOMAN
TEEN TITANS
THE FLASH
TITANS
TREES
TRINITY
WALKING DEAD, THE

ALIENS: LIFE AND DEATH
DC UNIVERSE REBIRTH
BIGGEST BANG
DARK KNIGHT III
DIVINITY II
EMPRESS
HAN SOLO
JUPITER'S LEGACY
Prometheus: Life and Death
PROPHET: EARTH WAR
REBORN
STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS ADAPTATION
SUPERMAN: COMING OF THE SUPERMEN
THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS: THE LAST CRUSADE

Generally speaking I was very disappointed with DC's The New 52 reboot. they fucked up so much shit, so many years of stories and history for what? Because they had declining sales due to poor storytelling?? What's the answer to that I wonder? GOOD STORYTELLING, not destruction of legacy....

Image Comics is putting out a lot of gems these days, so that has been fun and I'm really getting into Mark Millar's work. Just need to track a lot of it down as cheaply as possible...

Anyone else?

creep
Site Admin

Re: Comic Books

#2 Post by creep » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:08 pm

i've never read a comic book in my life

i read mad magazine as a kid.

and highlights magazine and my sisters judy blume books. hardy boys books too.

Artemis

#3 Post by Artemis » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:13 pm

I'm not a comic book person either.

As a kid I did read Archie comics, but that's about it.

nausearockpig

#4 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:19 pm

go read Batman: Year One and Batman: A Death In The Family (not A Death Of The Family - different story)....

kv

#5 Post by kv » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:41 pm

My current comic list I am into below:

Hype

#6 Post by Hype » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:48 pm

The only comic I ever liked as a kid was this one Morbius I picked up. It just had amazing artwork. Otherwise, meh. I liked the 90s Spiderman cartoon, I guess. Wasn't a big fan of Batman/Superman...

nausearockpig

#7 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:16 pm

kv wrote:My current comic list I am into below:

:lolol: The Invisibles.. Yeah I liked that too....

mockbee

#8 Post by mockbee » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:13 pm

nausearockpig wrote:......Batman: A Death In The Family ....
That is the only comic I have ever bought in like '89 or something. I don't know where is went, probably in a basement somewhere.

I loved Tintin as a kid though. Couldn't get enough of those from the library.

nausearockpig

#9 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:43 pm

mockbee wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:......Batman: A Death In The Family ....
That is the only comic I have ever bought in like '89 or something. I don't know where is went, probably in a basement somewhere.

I loved Tintin as a kid though. Couldn't get enough of those from the library.
The great covers by the great Mike Mignola

Trade paperback (collection for you "normies")

Matz

#10 Post by Matz » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:02 am

Calvin and Hobbes, The days are just packed

perkana

#11 Post by perkana » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:58 am

Astérix and Obélix (started getting interested in history because of them)
Valérian and Laurelien
Lucky Luke
Some Tintin
Mafalda
Peanuts
Back in the 80's read a couple of The Amazing Spiderman because my brother is a fan.
We used to own the comic book version of the 70's Flash Gordon movie. I loved that one.

SR

#12 Post by SR » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:43 am

I never understood them. The narratives were so truncated. I was always stopping to think of what I was missing. Just frustrating reading. As for the illustrations, :bored: Even Blake's bore me.

Pandemonium

#13 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:31 am

There's very few titles I follow these days. My perspective is that I first got into comics as a kid in the mid-60's, my first comic was the Fantastic Four issue that introduced The Inhumans and I grew up reading and collecting during Marvel's golden age.

I was always more into the artwork and artists like Neal Adams, Jim Steranko, Jim Starlin, Barry Smith, Bernie Wrightson, etc in the early 70's. By High School, I wanted to move to New York and become a comic artist to the point I sent sample submissions to Marvel and eventually got a rejection letter signed by Stan Lee.

IMO, DC and Marvel being acquired by Disney and Warner Bros was the final nail in the superhero stuff. It's just all being milked for movies now. There's a huge plethora of comics churned out by independents that kind of makes it difficult to find anything really decent and fresh these days although there is good stuff to be found.

These days, I maybe hit my local comics shop mostly out of loyalty and closeness to my supermarket once every 2 months. I used to go there weekly since the mid 80's to the end of the 90's and the same couple people still run it and are a really nice bunch. I like the current Dr Strange and Old Man Logan (Wolverine) series and have been keeping up with the various Frank Miller Batman/Superman titles which aren't very good. Otherwise it's just a few random independent titles like Alan Moore's anthology series Cinema Purgatorio and some of the Ed Brubaker "Criminal" stuff. The last series I was really into was "The Manhattan Projects" which died off a few years ago. I love Mignola's Hellboy stuff but that series has become stale. Preacher and Planetary were the last series I really enjoyed and that was 15+ years ago.

Two things I am into these days that's comics related is picking up those massive hardcover "Omnibus," Marvel Masterworks and "Absolute" compilations of mostly pre-80's series to replace the key old comics I still have filling literally about 35 large boxes of comics dating back to the mid-60's in storage. As I'm a comics art buff, I also have picked up a few of the huge "Artists Editions" compilations which featured full size copies of the original art boards.

Pandemonium

#14 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:03 am

nausearockpig wrote:No comics topic so here it is. Currently I'm reading these:

ASTRO CITY
MANHATTAN PROJECTS: SUN BEYOND THE STARS
JUPITER'S LEGACY
I like some of the Astro City arcs and picked up a couple softcover compilations but I haven't kept up with this series in years.

I mentioned Manhattan Projects - I really liked the original 25+ comics but the more recent short story arc left me cold.

Jupiter's Legacy first story with art by Frank Quitely (one of my favorite artists from the last 15 years) I enjoyed but the more recent mini-series I have no interest in.
nausearockpig wrote: Image Comics is putting out a lot of gems these days, so that has been fun and I'm really getting into Mark Millar's work. Just need to track a lot of it down as cheaply as possible...
Mark Millar's stuff is kind of love/hate for me. I liked the Authority and Kick Ass/Hit Girl comics to a point (although I think artist John Romita Jr draws the ugliest comics in modern history) and some of the other stuff he did, but his more recent shit is the same old nihilistic "I'ma Dick" crap he's been peddling the last decade. He's a good example of someone working in comics who's creating stuff strictly to be turned into movie properties (where the real money is).

crater

#15 Post by crater » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:23 pm

I started reading comics in the early 80's. I still remember and still own one of the first issues I ever bought.

Then I got into the original Secret Wars limited series, which I still have.

I collected up until the mid 90's. Mainly read Hulk, Spider-Man, Punisher and the West Coast Avengers. I think at my peak I had something like 3,000 comics. I might have about 300 or so still sitting in a couple boxes in my closet right now and a few dozen under my bed :lolol:

As a kid I thought I was going to get rich with them, but I don't think any of the comics I still own have anything more than sentimental value these days. Over the past few years I've wanted to get back into reading them, but then I see all these alternate universes and whatnot and I just don't know where to start.

kv

#16 Post by kv » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:02 pm

I had this pocket book as a kid (I think left at my house by some nerd)...and would get a comic book to keep me busy at a very young age..like if we were waiting at an airport or the like (much like a coloring book)....I remembered I did get one from my uncle a couples years back...a micronauts one (we never knew they existed) old toys cool...comic not lol :noclue: I did watch a lil Batman and the old Spiderman one...but by the time my balls dropped I had moved on to way cooler stuff like Hong kong fooey and Sigmund the sea monster because he and Johnny and Scott were friends after all (look it up kids....panda gets it)

So ends the "kv complete comic book post" turn in next time...same bat time same bat channel (but I won't be here enjoy!)

Pandemonium

#17 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:55 pm

crater wrote: Over the past few years I've wanted to get back into reading them, but then I see all these alternate universes and whatnot and I just don't know where to start.
Yeah, the Marvel and DC stuff has been so diluted and screwed with for literally decades, I can't imagine trying to get into any of their characters and series at this point. Looking back, that was one of the great things about discovering comics when I did in the 60's. All the characters and titles had a pretty clean, linear history and writers even through the early 80's were still coming up with fresh, imaginative stories and new characters.

Understandably, that began to change when writer/artists like Jim Starlin and Frank Miller finally got limited and in many cases, full rights to whatever new comics and stories they created (instead of being work-for-hire company men getting paid by the page) and bailed on the two majors to create their own independent comics. This left a creative vacuum and you started seeing re-re-retread plots and few new characters in the long-established comics from Batman to The Fantastic Four. I mean, who wants to create the next Spawn or Kick Ass working for DC or Marvel who keeps all the rights for that character when you can go independent and do your own comic and reap all the benefits including movie rights?
crater wrote:As a kid I thought I was going to get rich with them, but I don't think any of the comics I still own have anything more than sentimental value these days.
I never collected comics as an investment, basically just bought what I wanted to read. Of course, that didn't stop me from buying a lot of crap, especially in the early 70's through late 80's mostly due to "loyalty" for certain Marvel Comics titles.

nausearockpig

#18 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:20 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
crater wrote:As a kid I thought I was going to get rich with them, but I don't think any of the comics I still own have anything more than sentimental value these days.
I never collected comics as an investment, basically just bought what I wanted to read. Of course, that didn't stop me from buying a lot of crap, especially in the early 70's through late 80's mostly due to "loyalty" for certain Marvel Comics titles.
Yeah i have a lot to purge... Just gotta do it somehow..

Artemis

#19 Post by Artemis » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:11 pm

With all the news of deaths lately, I was happy to read that today is Stan Lee's 94th birthday! :cheers:

nausearockpig

#20 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:48 pm

I saw a thing on FrenzBook that said "there's still 4 days of 2016 left, someone hide Stan Lee!!"

Ken Oath.

Pandemonium

#21 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:36 am

nausearockpig wrote:I saw a thing on FrenzBook that said "there's still 4 days of 2016 left, someone hide Stan Lee!!"

Ken Oath.
It's been kinda weird seeing him age the past couple decades via his little cameos in all the Marvel movies.

nausearockpig

#22 Post by nausearockpig » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:41 pm

I have dropped these:
BATGIRL
BATGIRL and THE BIRDS OF PREY
HORIZON
NEW SUPER-MAN

And these are on the "maybe" list. They have one issue to keep me engaged, otherwise BOOM they're going.
TEEN TITANS
TITANS

#NERD