New Jeff Beck Album "Loud Hailer"

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Pandemonium

New Jeff Beck Album "Loud Hailer"

#1 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:24 pm

Never been a big Jeff Beck fan for no good reason even if the guy has stayed busier then his peers and has managed to not only keep his edge but continues to quietly grow as a artist. So I picked Jeff Becks new one "Loud Hailer" this week. It's ....different, especially for what you'd expect for a Beck album. His unique guitar playing and instantly recognizable tone is all over the songs but he's got this singer Rosie Bones singing these post modern blues lyrics some good, some a bit stereotypical and pretenuous over Becks often jazzy metal noodling. For the most part, it works really well, and it's certainly different. Highly recommended:

Artemis

Re: New Jeff Beck Album "Loud Hailer"

#2 Post by Artemis » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:40 am

I think it's a pretty good album. I first heard a couple of weeks again on NPR's "First Listen".
Rosie Bones reminds me a little of Alison Mosshart. This album with Jeff Beck makes me think of the first record by The Kills(not all songs, just a few).

Jeff Beck is on my my bucket list of musicians to see live. He doesn't come my way very often, and when he does the shows sell out immediately.

Pande, there's some Jeff Beck shows with Buddy Guy in California next month.

Hollywood Bowl- Aug 10

Matz

#3 Post by Matz » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:45 am

not what I was expecting from Beck or a 72 year old for that matter. I'm talking about the first couple of tracks especially. Maybe not the best songs in the world but I really like the rawness of them and that they're kind of messy, very different from Blow by blow e.g where everything's so perfect. Some of the effects and stuff are almost industrial sounding at times, pretty cool.

But in general I'm not the biggest Beck fan there is, I think he's a bit overrated

Pandemonium

#4 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:53 pm

Artemis wrote:I think it's a pretty good album. I first heard a couple of weeks again on NPR's "First Listen".
Rosie Bones reminds me a little of Alison Mosshart. This album with Jeff Beck makes me think of the first record by The Kills(not all songs, just a few).

Jeff Beck is on my my bucket list of musicians to see live. He doesn't come my way very often, and when he does the shows sell out immediately.

Hollywood Bowl- Aug 10
I really don't like seeing shows at the Hollywood Bowl anymore so unfortunately this is a no-go for me. I have seen Jeff Beck once, waaaaaaaayyyyy, back in 1983-ish with Clapton and Jimmy Page when they did a benefit concert for Ronnie Lane (who had MS) of McCartney and Wings which was really good.

Artemis

#5 Post by Artemis » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:34 am

Pandemonium wrote:
Artemis wrote:I think it's a pretty good album. I first heard a couple of weeks again on NPR's "First Listen".

Hollywood Bowl- Aug 10
I really don't like seeing shows at the Hollywood Bowl anymore so unfortunately this is a no-go for me. I have seen Jeff Beck once, waaaaaaaayyyyy, back in 1983-ish with Clapton and Jimmy Page when they did a benefit concert for Ronnie Lane (who had MS) of McCartney and Wings which was really good.
Wow that must have been amazing show! :jealous:

Pandemonium

#6 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:34 pm

Sounds like Beck played an outstanding show at the Bowl last night. From another board:

"Rock n' roll at the Hollywood Bowl indeed! It was just perfect evening with great weather and good wine....and yes, some awesome guitar. The evening started with brilliant 30 minute set by Buddy Guy that got the crowd going.....being able to do all that at 80 years old is just incredible.

Then Jeff Beck came on and we were treated to a special set list covering his 50 years in music business with special guests Jimmy Hall, Jan Hammer, Beth Hart, Billy Gibbons & Steven Tyler. For JB fans, here is the set list:"

The Revolution Will Be Televised
Over Under Sideways Down (with Jimmy Hall)
Heart Full of Soul (with Jimmy Hall)
For Your Love (with Jimmy Hall)
Beck's Bolero
Plynth (Water Down the Drain) (with Jimmy Hall)
Morning Dew (with Jimmy Hall)
Freeway Jam
You Never Know
Cause We've Ended as Lovers
Blue Wind (with Jan Hammer)
Star Cycle (with Jan Hammer)
Big Block
I'd Rather Go Blind (Etta James cover) (with Beth Hart)
Let Me Love You (with Buddy Guy)
Live in the Dark
Scared for the Children
Rough Boy (with Billy Gibbons)
Company Store (with Billy Gibbons)
Train Kept A-Rollin' (with Steven Tyler)
Shapes of Things (with Steven Tyler)
A Day in the Life (The Beatles cover)

Encore:
Purple Rain (with Beth Hart)

SR

#7 Post by SR » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:39 am

This vid is a good example of why I have never really understood JB. A really good and inventive player, his musical sensibilities seems eternally confined to 70's rock....this choice to cover and close with gave me "douche chills".