Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
ellis

Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul

#1 Post by ellis » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:58 am

So this is by far the best show in Cable Network tv right now, outside of paychannels such as HBO.

Last night's episode was incredible. I can't get enough of this show. There's only 3 episodes left to this season and next season is the 5th and final one for the show.

If you've never seen it, go rent or stream the boxsets. You will not be disappointed.

jptm

Re: AMC: Breaking Bad

#2 Post by jptm » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:44 am

Best show on TV; hands down.

Haven't seen last nights' ep yet; I DL it the next day & watch it tonight w/the wife...

I was wondering when BB would get it's own thread----there are so many things to talk about/discuss around this show.

:thumb:

ellis

#3 Post by ellis » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:07 am

jptm wrote: Haven't seen last nights' ep yet; I DL it the next day & watch it tonight w/the wife...
Probably the best episode of the season. it will shock you.

Jasper

#4 Post by Jasper » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:32 am

I'm a big fan of this show. It's simply one of the greatest TV dramas ever made. It's right up with The Sopranos and shows like that, and it has its own unique character.

Last night's show featured a song by Thee Oh Sees. (towards the end) :banana:

nausearockpig

#5 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:11 pm

the first three seasons were outta control, but we've been very disappointed with a lot of this season. In saying that though, it's a great idea for a show.. just wish it was as good as it was.

Lokus

#6 Post by Lokus » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:20 pm

I'm half way through the 2nd season, I started the series about a month ago.

After the first couple of episodes I wasn't sold, but now my wife and I are hooked.

I just wish they'd play up his motivations a little more, rather than just every few episodes. OK, so he needs the money and he needs excitement in his life. But, I don't feel like the meth business has paid off for him in those regards after 1.5 seasons.

creep
Site Admin

#7 Post by creep » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:35 am

the first season was only $14 on amazon so i just bought it. i better like it.

i have also had the first season of mad men for about three years that i haven't opened yet. i need to start that too.

thoreau

#8 Post by thoreau » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:36 am

I'm currently on the last disc of Season 3, trying to play catch-up. It's truly one of the best things on television these days.

jptm

#9 Post by jptm » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:53 am

creep wrote:the first season was only $14 on amazon so i just bought it. i better like it.

i have also had the first season of mad men for about three years that i haven't opened yet. i need to start that too.
fyi, on netflix *in the u.s.* you can stream the first 3 seasons....

don't worry, creep---you won't be dissappointed---however, the first season is only 7 eps, so... after that, 13.

watched last sunday's ep----damn!

my prediction when it ends after season 5? walt will die from cancer & jesse will somehow become the kingpin to the whole meth op.

Jasper

#10 Post by Jasper » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:13 am

We might try to chill out on the spoilers.

jptm

#11 Post by jptm » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:58 pm

Jasper wrote:We might try to chill out on the spoilers.
i don't think anyone's given out any spoilers....? i made a prediction, but no spoiler... if you've not watched the first ep, you'd have no idea what i'm talking about.

another thing that is cool is how each of the characters are associated w/different colors... just a very creative show.

also, there are a couple of new interviews w/aaron paul (jesse) & vince gilligan (the creator of the show) on NPR:

http://www.npr.org/2011/09/19/140040966 ... t=1&f=1008

http://www.npr.org/2011/09/19/140111200 ... t=1&f=1008

:wave:

Jasper

#12 Post by Jasper » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:30 pm

The fact that certain people may be alive enough to have predictions made about what might happen to them in season 5 is something of a spoiler, imo. I always think that going in utterly blind and believing that anything could happen is the best way.

jptm

#13 Post by jptm » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:39 am

good point.

creep
Site Admin

#14 Post by creep » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:29 pm

well i sat down this afternoon to watch an episode and i just watched the whole season. :conf:

great show...i like going in to a series new with a few seasons done. no waiting to watch new episodes. of course i didn't get shit done today.

Jasper

#15 Post by Jasper » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:51 pm

creep wrote:well i sat down this afternoon to watch an episode and i just watched the whole season. :conf:

great show...i like going in to a series new with a few seasons done. no waiting to watch new episodes. of course i didn't get shit done today.
Those are the good days. :nod:

jptm

#16 Post by jptm » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:36 pm

creep wrote:well i sat down this afternoon to watch an episode and i just watched the whole season. :conf:

just wait until you get into season 2.

nausearockpig

#17 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:52 pm

jptm wrote:

just wait until you get into season 2.
and season 3..

S04 is a bit of a let down...

ellis

#18 Post by ellis » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:58 am

As far as I can tell... nothing in here is a spoiler... but only read it if you are up to season 4.

Season 1... the dynamic between Walt & Jesse is absolutely hilarious at times in this season. I want to go back and rewatch this sometime.

Season 2... it was really great! I loved how each episode started with a weird scene that didn't get answered until the end... and the answer was really disturbing.

Season 3... I had a hard time believing they could top season 2, but season 3 is by far the best season so far. (possible spoiler: There are a few huge scenes in this season with Walt in extended dialogue... my favorite is the hospital scene when he tells the story about catching all the green lights. Just awesome imagery.)

Season 4... I have been pleased with everything so far but it's not as strong as season 3. I really miss the old school Hank though so I have a feeling these final 3 episodes will be very big.

Season 5... it all ends here. I have a few theories but there

Jasper

#19 Post by Jasper » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:10 pm

I love each episode and each season.

Season four might not have been as dramatically crazy as 3, but it's had its moments. In any case, I don't see it so much as separate seasons. This season is a part of the story, and I think they've got a real logic to how the entire thing will work. This isn't some HBO bullshit where they cancel the fucking thing without completing the arc of the story. I believe that all of the seasons together will make a satisfying whole. I also agree with Ellis that the last few episodes of this season will be big. How could they not be given last week's episode, which was pretty damn huge.

nausearockpig

#20 Post by nausearockpig » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:18 pm

we've got four episodes to catch up on.

Pure Method

#21 Post by Pure Method » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:50 am

nausearockpig wrote:we've got four episodes to catch up on.

you'll be eating crow, then. perhaps best run of 4 episodes in the series.

Jasper

#22 Post by Jasper » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:27 pm

****** 100% spoilers, starting right now: *******

That was a great episode last night. That last shot - wow. They've set things in motion for intense crazy shit has to happen.

I love the way they've shown what made Gus who he is. The way he tortures Hector goes all the way back to the situation with his original partner in Los Pollos Hermanos. All things are relative, and I can't feel bad for Hector. Hector is a motherfucker. It's a testament to the greatness of the show that it can make you side (temporarily) with someone like Gustavo.

Anyways, I've read that season five will be 16 episodes, and may be split into two parts. That's cool with me.

ellis

#23 Post by ellis » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:26 am

The most recent episode was awesome. That final scene... just spooky. As the camera panned away from him laughing in the crawlspace, it was as if they wanted you to think he was in a coffin. And Walts hysteria fueled laugh... crazy!

*** spoiler!! (Just a personal theories on the direction it goes from here...) ***
-I have a few theories on what may happen here on out and the one that I feel is Walt's best chance of survival would be... killing Jessie. Then Walt would be the only cook in town. And he could save his whole family from Gus at that point. "Let them live and I will cook forever."

-I don't see how Jessie would want to side with Walt for anything at this point... unless of course Walt takes that girlfriend and her kid as a hostage or something. Jessie is more valuable to Gus b/c of his angle on the DEA. Jessie didn't sue them or Hank for that matter... so in a way, Jessie is very valuable if the DEA ever catches for anything.

-I have a hard time buying into the idea that Jessie trusts Gus and Mike more than Walt. I think if push came to shove, he'd side with Walt. Jessie is difficult to read right now. Not even really sure where the ricin is at this point. But if Jessie still has it, it's up to him who he uses it on. One angle that Gus may have in his back pocket... and I don't even know if he really knows this... is he can tell Jessie that Walt let his girlfriend die in bed when he took the money in season 2.

-As for the money Skylar gave to Beneke... I wonder if there's still a chance they can intercept that check before it hits the IRS. I'm sure Saul has yet another contact he can cash in on.

-Just like Gus lost his partner way back in the day... perhaps Walt will lose someone special as well, thus thrusting Walt into a vendetta to destroy Gus by any means necessary. This would make their lives parallel each other which I have a feeling is what the writers want to show. If I had to guess... I'd say Hank's wife Marie. She's not too significant to the story that they couldn't finish without her. And IF she were to be killed... that would send Hank into a rage like no one has ever seen. And it would definitely drive him to solve this case.

-Gus... has anyone else noticed how brazen and loose he's become since destroying the cartel? He seems too loose as if he feels unstoppable. When you get like that, you're more likely to make mistakes.

-Other than this last episode, Hank is still trying to dig up info on Gus' past. I think he'll get that info before the finale. I also think Hank will dig up huge info on this company that keeps supplying equipment to Gus. I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that THEY are the true meth don's and Gus is just an easily replaceable employee, especially with all the heat he has on him right now.

Jasper

#24 Post by Jasper » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:10 pm

***THIS POST IS 100% SPOILERS*** (This thread is pretty much 100% spoilers)

I don't like to get too carried away with the speculation. I hear what you're saying about Jesse vs. Walt; Walt almost has to consider the option of getting rid of Jesse if it comes down to saving Walt's own family.

I don't think that anybody but Walt knows about the heroin incident, so I don't think Gus has anything there. Gus has used many other things to slowly and methodically influence Jesse. It doesn't even seem like he needs much more, but Jesse could also spring a surprise on Gus, because how could he ever forget the shit that Gus caused to happen to him? That's the real reason that shit turned sour in the first place. Jesse would be dead now if Walt hadn't saved his ass back then, and Walt continued to protect Jesse by refusing to give up his whereabouts.

Some kind of crazy shit has to happen with Hank. He flat-out knows the truth about Gus and the related companies, he just doesn't know the Walt connection. All I know is that things will happen in these last two( (?) episodes, and we'll probably be left with the mother of all cliffhangers.

jptm

#25 Post by jptm » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:05 pm

i think when this season was being made vince gilligan still didn't have a deal on the 5th season yet, so i don't know about the big cliffhanger... could be we get what looks to be a conclusion; but somehow another crazy season emerges.

*SPOILERS AHEAD*

i don't think jesse's gonna get killed--he was supposed to die in the first season, but they saw the chemistry between him & cranston and changed it up... and it's kept the series true from the beginning; i.e. the relationship between jesse & walt.

what's gonna happen to mike?

i see something weird coming up w/the schylar (sp?) & bedeke death... but what, exactly? i was wondering when bill burr was coming in the season; he'd hinted at it weeks ago on the carolla podcast.

:blah: