Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
creep
Site Admin

Re: Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul

#521 Post by creep » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:07 pm

so it looks like the firm will take over the class action suit and in the previews a deal is mentioned to jim.

i bet part of the deal/payoff is that he has to change his name so he isn't in any way associated with the firm and then we get saul. :noclue:

Jasper

#522 Post by Jasper » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:51 pm

Dammit, creep, I never watch previews because they're just spoilers, and I don't need to be convinced to watch a show the following week when I'm already eight episodes deep. Thanks for ruining everything. :no:

Anyway, that was a fun episode. I wonder why we don't see Chuck in BB. Mike's backstory episode aside, it's a much lighter show than BB (it was originally going to be a half-hour comedy), but part of me keeps expecting something horrible to happen.

SR

#523 Post by SR » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:42 pm

Better, solid episode. You can see Mike inching closer and closer to his introduction to Gus. How they can weave the vet into that should have some laughs. I really like Chuck's character.....it will be sad to see their separation as Saul is born.

creep
Site Admin

#524 Post by creep » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:09 pm

i sound like a broken record but another great episode. poor jimmy. so it looks like he becomes saul to dissociate himself with his brother. one more left....it goes by so quick.

Jasper

#525 Post by Jasper » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:09 pm

It really did go by quickly, especially after the long wait.

So, Hamlin would have been OK with taking Jimmy on board were it not for Chuck, and the real reason he flipped his shit at Kim was that his hands were completely tied. It's true that Jimmy was a crooked scumbag, but he'd basically reformed himself with this elder law thing. On top of that, his efforts were the only thing that got Chuck back to work at all. As far as being a real lawyer, he passed the bar exam, despite the quality of his correspondence school, which actually shows how smart he is. On top of that, he's the one came up with this case in the first place, in the course of conducting honest business. I know I'm stating the obvious, but it's sad. Chuck's a dick.

SR

#526 Post by SR » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:07 am

Jimmy (VG) might have pointed out that F. Lee Baily never went to law school.

JOEinPHX

#527 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:32 pm

I like this show more and more as it moves forward. I almost kind of wish Saul wasn't getting introduced for another season.

I'd like to see more of the bullshit he goes through to get to that point, to be honest.

Hype

#528 Post by Hype » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:14 pm

Odenkirk's too old I think... they had to make the show the recent-past of the first season of Breaking Bad, which was what... six or seven years ago now? So Bob Odenkirk is playing a character who is at least 10 or 11 years younger than he was at the end of Breaking Bad... Makeup and post-processing can only do so much.

creep
Site Admin

#529 Post by creep » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:08 pm

well...they saved the worst for last. it was a disappointing finale. i still loved the season though.

farrellgirl99

#530 Post by farrellgirl99 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:41 pm

creep wrote:well...they saved the worst for last. it was a disappointing finale. i still loved the season though.
agreed. this one felt off, especially for a finale. his friend dying was pretty corny and felt below the series.

definitely an enjoyable season. not what i was expecting when i came in to it, but the slow, measured feel of most of the season worked for the show. we'll see what happens when more breaking bad characters find their way to saul. i wonder if it will feel like less of it's own thing then or if they will be able to pull it off and maintain the distinction.

nausearockpig

#531 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:06 pm

farrellgirl99 wrote:
creep wrote:well...they saved the worst for last. it was a disappointing finale. i still loved the season though.
agreed. this one felt off, especially for a finale. his friend dying was pretty corny and felt below the series.

definitely an enjoyable season. not what i was expecting when i came in to it, but the slow, measured feel of most of the season worked for the show. we'll see what happens when more breaking bad characters find their way to saul. i wonder if it will feel like less of it's own thing then or if they will be able to pull it off and maintain the distinction.
Yeah that ep was average at best until the last 10 mins or so... then it got better... I hope he's still Jimmy next season... I like seeing the formative year(s)...

JOEinPHX

#532 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:55 pm

Agreed. I like Jimmy too.

I hope we get another season of Jimmy.

Jasper

#533 Post by Jasper » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:31 pm

I don't think the episode was bad, but it was a relatively weak installment, especially for a finale.

I admire how they kept it light and breezy (relative to Breaking Bad, and not including Mike's backstory episode) and relatively mellow throughout the entire season. That took some guts. There must have been the temptation to ratchet up the drama/violence, but I think they're taking a long-term view of things so that they have room to grow dramatically as the seasons progress and Jimmy and Mike become entangled with bigger and badder criminals. This approach also helped to give the show its own distinctive feel.

I'm looking forward to season two.

SR

#534 Post by SR » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:54 am

I'm on the opposite end of virtually everyone here on this series. I thought the finale was the one of the strongest, if not the strongest of the season. :noclue:

Jasper

#535 Post by Jasper » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:34 pm

SR wrote:I'm on the opposite end of virtually everyone here on this series. I thought the finale was the one of the strongest, if not the strongest of the season. :noclue:
I think there was a lot to like about it, but I guess it just didn't have that finale flair for a lot of us. Some of it was a bit slow, like the bingo scene which was good, but seemed a bit overlong. I liked his fat scumbag friend, who was straight out of vaudeville, and I especially liked the stylized throwback sequence with them scamming multiple dupes. I had some trouble buying Jimmy's sudden change of heart at the end, where he's about to get a job which will make him legally rich, stick it to his detractors, and impress Kim, but out of some weird loyalty to his loser scumbag friend he instead decides to make himself look like a jackass, put himself at risk, and prove his brother right by deciding to somehow make money being a scummy criminal lawyer. That move to go completely crooked would have been more believable if he hadn't had the big job offer, but instead simply had his spirit (and morals) broken by his brother's betrayal. Some tempting opportunity to make money illegaly working with criminals would have been a good motivator on top of that.

nausearockpig

#536 Post by nausearockpig » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:46 pm

Jasper wrote:
SR wrote:I'm on the opposite end of virtually everyone here on this series. I thought the finale was the one of the strongest, if not the strongest of the season. :noclue:
I think there was a lot to like about it, but I guess it just didn't have that finale flair for a lot of us. Some of it was a bit slow, like the bingo scene which was good, but seemed a bit overlong. I liked his fat scumbag friend, who was straight out of vaudeville, and I especially liked the stylized throwback sequence with them scamming multiple dupes. I had some trouble buying Jimmy's sudden change of heart at the end, where he's about to get a job which will make him legally rich, stick it to his detractors, and impress Kim, but out of some weird loyalty to his loser scumbag friend he instead decides to make himself look like a jackass, put himself at risk, and prove his brother right by deciding to somehow make money being a scummy criminal lawyer. That move to go completely crooked would have been more believable if he hadn't had the big job offer, but instead simply had his spirit (and morals) broken by his brother's betrayal. Some tempting opportunity to make money illegaly working with criminals would have been a good motivator on top of that.
Yeah that whole "turning point" was a bit much...

SR

#537 Post by SR » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:22 pm

nausearockpig wrote:
Jasper wrote:
Yeah that whole "turning point" was a bit much...
So little time here....I see your points, but I love the insanely diverse drops in info in the finale.....the x wife, the x friend, the old friend, the complacency turned to determination, the back stories of the previous episodes...., and the OFFER....there is still ample room for Jimmy/Saul to be a scummy lawyer there, and I expect he will infect it. :rockon:

creep
Site Admin

#538 Post by creep » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:10 pm

average start to the season. not much happened. a little slow. :bored:

Jasper

#539 Post by Jasper » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:10 pm

I didn't even realize it came back today. Thanks for the reminder. :tiphat:

JOEinPHX

#540 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:30 pm

I really like this show.

Jimmy could do almost anything and I would watch it.

farrellgirl99

#541 Post by farrellgirl99 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:06 pm

the sundance channel has been doing a breaking bad marathon every wednesday night for the past few months - they air four episodes every wednesday. so ive been enraptured with breaking bad again. theyre up to the last episode of season 3 so shit is about to get real. bb is so fucking good.

i enjoy better call saul but the slow pace gets to me in some scenes. still like watching it though.

JOEinPHX

#542 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:37 pm

Better Call Saul is more cerebral. It's getting into Jimmy's head. How he thinks. Why he thinks the way he does. Why he makes the decisions that he does.

With Breaking Bad, it was all about the consequences of Walt's actions.

creep
Site Admin

#543 Post by creep » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:41 pm

some of the scenes drag on....like that fucking bingo scene from last season but it's still a great show.

Jasper

#544 Post by Jasper » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:08 am

It was good to see Hector again. He is one creepy fucker.

SR

#545 Post by SR » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:50 am

This show was written on near lethal doses of dilaudid.