Record Store Day 2015

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
perkana

Record Store Day 2015

#1 Post by perkana » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:17 am

Just thought I would post some gigs for tomorrow.
http://www.recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/7752
I found my calling in the back bin of a dark, dusty record store.

1975's K-Tel's Blockbuster 20 Original Hits by the Original Stars featuring Alice Cooper, War, Kool and the Gang, Average White Band and many more, bought at a small record shop in my suburban Virginia neighborhood, it was this record that changed my life and made me want to become a musician. The second that I heard Edgar Winter's "Frankenstein" kick in, I was hooked. My life had been changed forever. This was the first day of the rest of my life.

Growing up in Springfield, Virginia in the 70's and 80's, my local independent record stores were magical, mysterious places that I spent all of my spare time (and money) in, finding what was to eventually become the soundtrack of my life. Every weekend I couldn't wait to take my hard earned, lawn mowing cash down for an afternoon full of discovery. And, the chase was always as good as the catch! I spent hours flipping through every stack, examining the artwork on every cover, the titles and credits, searching for music that would inspire me, or understand me, or just to help me escape. These places became my churches, my libraries, my schools. They felt like home. And, I don't know where I would be today without them.

More recently, I’ve been fortunate enough to have the opportunity to rediscover this sense of excitement, that magical feeling of finding something all one’s own, by watching my kids go through it. Let me tell you: Nothing makes me prouder than watching my daughters spin that first Roky Erickson LP one of them picked out for their very own on one of our weekend trips to the record store. Or to watch the reverence they have as they handle their Beatles vinyl. How carefully they replace the albums into their sleeves, making sure they’re placed back onto the self in the proper sequence. Watching them realize how crucial and intertwined every part of this experience is, I relive the magic of my earliest experiences with vinyl singles and albums, their artwork, liners notes etc. all over again and again.

I believe that the power of the record store to inspire is still alive and well, and that their importance to our next generation of musicians is crucial. Take an afternoon (and some hard earned lawn mowing money) and please support them.

You never know, it might change your life forever, too.

Dave

drifter

Re: Record Store Day 2015

#3 Post by drifter » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:20 pm

hay perkana got to my zia record store this morning here in vegas at 6:30 a.m. doors opened 9 am
focused only on getting a copy of elvises very first song he recorded in 1953
which was kept by a friend an never published till bought in auction this January by jack white for $300,000. he reproduced only 500 copies for this record record day

kv

#4 Post by kv » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:28 pm

nice score dude..now get a turntable and use these things as they were meant...not just lookie what i have but will never use

Artemis

#5 Post by Artemis » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:17 pm

drifter wrote:hay perkana got to my zia record store this morning here in vegas at 6:30 a.m. doors opened 9 am
which was kept by a friend an never published till bought in auction this January by jack white for $300,000. he reproduced only 500 copies for this record record day
:thumb: Nice purchase.

perkana

#6 Post by perkana » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:34 pm

drifter wrote:hay perkana got to my zia record store this morning here in vegas at 6:30 a.m. doors opened 9 am
Awesome drifter :rockon:

perkana

#7 Post by perkana » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:34 pm

kv wrote:nice score dude..now get a turntable and use these things as they were meant...not just lookie what i have but will never use
:lol: I've missed ya kv

JOEinPHX

#8 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:41 pm

I didn't go to a record store, but I did preorder a vinyl copy of Dawes new album via Pledgemusic

Pandemonium

#9 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:37 am

kv wrote:nice score dude..now get a turntable and use these things as they were meant...not just lookie what i have but will never use
That's a 78rpm, it's kinda tough finding and owning a decent modern turntable that plays those 10" records.

That release is going for about $60 - $160+ already on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_armrs=1 ... te=1&rt=nc

drifter

#10 Post by drifter » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:51 am

I know bro, got some turntables in the garage ready to be setup and my Harman/Kardon receiver ready too, next step is some speakers! just passed up on some bose 401s at a yard sale though old would still do the trick but I passed , they were asking $4oo so for the age I passed

Pandemonium wrote:
That's a 78rpm, it's kinda tough finding and owning a decent modern turntable that plays those 10" records.

That release is going for about $60 - $160+ already on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_armrs=1 ... te=1&rt=nc
it is a 78, just bought a new needle for this califone which came from a school house an plays 78s also! all in all Saturdays record store was tops! the ebay prices blows my mind

drifter

#11 Post by drifter » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:22 am

something else about this morning, the store was opening a hour earlier for this at 9 am. I was told people start getting in line at 7 am so I was hoping id be pretty close up front by getting there at 6:30 am but I joined the line just turning the corner of the business.

listening to people in line there at least three groups focused on grabbing at least one copy on a hugh list they had. two sets of this group was a whole set of a family, kids an all!
also asked the cashier how many copies of elvis 'my happiness' they got which was 20...its said jack only printed 500.. I just cant imagine how many stores in the America celebrates rsd but I bet there were more copies printed :noclue:

kv

#12 Post by kv » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:08 pm

ya 500 then jack left the room...and tony printed another 10k....i wouldn't worry too much either way it will always fetch what you paid for it

drifter

Re: Record Store Day 2015 elvis presley

#13 Post by drifter » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:18 am

what was also super on this record store day 2015 was the cool nicnacs they shared, at least here in vegas!

Last edited by drifter on Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jaco

#14 Post by Jaco » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:37 am

I got one too! I brought it home and realized that I can't play it on my Technics turntable. However, 4 days later I realized that my inexpensive Crosley does play 78! :bigrin:

I also bought:
Willie Nelson - Teatro
White Stripes - Get Behind Me Satan
Johnny Cash - Live in Prague
The Stooges - Live Unganos
Thelonious Monk - London recording

Very happy with this years' items.