Kurt Cobain:Montage of Heck (trailer)

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Artemis

Kurt Cobain:Montage of Heck (trailer)

#1 Post by Artemis » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:16 pm

The trailer is in the link. I don't know how to convert it to youtube.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/03/h ... eck-watch/
The definitive documentary on Kurt Cobain, entitled Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck, premiered earlier this year at the Sundance Film Festival. On May 4th, HBO will air the in depth look at Nirvana’s leader following a short theatrical run. Today, they’ve released the new trailer for the doc, which you can watch below.

Directed by Brett Morgen, the film features “no-holds-barred access to Kurt Cobain’s archives, home to his never-before-seen home movies, recordings, artwork, photography, journals, demos, personal archives, family archives and songbooks.” It also includes animated sequences and some unreleased Cobain songs. The soundtrack, which doesn’t yet have a release date, is also said to feature a previously unheard 12-minute acoustic track.

Cobain’s daughter with Courtney Love, Frances Bean Cobain, serves as the film’s executive producer.
The reviewer, Justin Gerber, gives the doc a good review.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/01/s ... e-of-heck/

creep
Site Admin

Re: Kurt Cobain:Montage of Heck (trailer)

#2 Post by creep » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:36 pm

that looks pretty interesting.

i also want to see this doc on the damned. i loved the damned growing up.

Pandemonium

#3 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:16 pm

creep wrote:that looks pretty interesting.

i also want to see this doc on the damned. i loved the damned growing up.

Cool, didn't know a documentary was coming out about The Damned. Better yet, it looks like Brian James and Rat Scabies are participating in some fashion.

perkana

#4 Post by perkana » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:15 pm

Artemis wrote:The trailer is in the link. I don't know how to convert it to youtube.

The definitive documentary on Kurt Cobain, entitled Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck, premiered earlier this year at the Sundance Film Festival. On May 4th, HBO will air the in depth look at Nirvana’s leader following a short theatrical run. Today, they’ve released the new trailer for the doc, which you can watch below.

Directed by Brett Morgen, the film features “no-holds-barred access to Kurt Cobain’s archives, home to his never-before-seen home movies, recordings, artwork, photography, journals, demos, personal archives, family archives and songbooks.” It also includes animated sequences and some unreleased Cobain songs. The soundtrack, which doesn’t yet have a release date, is also said to feature a previously unheard 12-minute acoustic track.

Cobain’s daughter with Courtney Love, Frances Bean Cobain, serves as the film’s executive producer.

Found it...

creep
Site Admin

#5 Post by creep » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:19 pm

what will make this good is that everyone seems to have participated and i'm sure there will be a lot of footage that no one has ever seen. dave grohl wasn't in the trailer. did he participate?

perkana

#6 Post by perkana » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:25 pm

Director Brett Morgen clarified that Grohl was interviewed for the documentary earlier this month, but it happened too late to make the cut on the version of the film that premiered at Sundance. "We had a locked print and trying to re-edit a film with a new interview in 10 days is kind of difficult," he said at the premiere. "This is the picture I wanted—I didn't want there to be a lot of people in the film. I hope we'll see a version [with Grohl's interview] sometime."
http://pitchfork.com/news/58214-kurt-co ... ave-grohl/

creep
Site Admin

#7 Post by creep » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:34 pm

hmmm...ok :wave:

perkana

#8 Post by perkana » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:35 pm

:tiphat:

Essence_Smith

#9 Post by Essence_Smith » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 am

Pretty sure the story can be told without Grohl's input... I recently saw a documentary about the original drummer from Hole that also had a lot of home videos with Kurt and Frances, etc...kinda interesting and as usual the point that gets lost is that this dude didn't appear to be a depressed type at all...he always seemed to be joking around and being funny...

thoreau

#10 Post by thoreau » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:01 am

Essence_Smith wrote:Pretty sure the story can be told without Grohl's input... I recently saw a documentary about the original drummer from Hole that also had a lot of home videos with Kurt and Frances, etc...kinda interesting and as usual the point that gets lost is that this dude didn't appear to be a depressed type at all...he always seemed to be joking around and being funny...
How was the Patty Schemel documentary overall? Was interested to see it.

SR

#11 Post by SR » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:29 am

perkana wrote:
Artemis wrote:The trailer is in the link. I don't know how to convert it to youtube.

Found it...
Oh shit, this looks powerful.

mockbee

#12 Post by mockbee » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:08 am

perkana wrote:

Found it...
wow. I am watching that for sure.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#13 Post by Hokahey » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:08 pm

I can think of very few artists that didn't eventually go on to disappoint me in some profound way. It's always interesting me to consider what Kurt's music career would look like today had he not died. I'd guess making niche music and being a general recluse.

blackula

#14 Post by blackula » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:42 pm

hokahey wrote:I can think of very few artists that didn't eventually go on to disappoint me in some profound way. It's always interesting me to consider what Kurt's music career would look like today had he not died. I'd guess making niche music and being a general recluse.
I'm looking forward to this documentary.

I wonder too. I think he'd have been reclusive and released albums here and there under different band names, being too modest to release "solo" albums. I think vocally he would sound like Been A Son on the new louder songs, you can't scream like he did in your 40's. I also think that Kurt would have an Eric Avery/Robert Plant like view of Nirvava and not drag a legacy through the mud and not do vocals he can't physically do as an older dude. Even the throaty sing along parts like In Bloom where he wasn't balls out screaming seam too throaty to perform in your 40's. I doubt Nirvava would be doing a summer tour with Jane's or Alice.

Also, the whole Nirvana changed popular music goes both ways. Things changed just as much as they did in the top 40 when Kurt died. Rock stations went with the short lived Nirvanabees to rap metal, 4 years after Kurt died rock radio play lists were Korn, Kid Rock and Limp Bizkit. I wonder if rock radio would've gone more of an indie rock route if Kurt didn't die.

Anyone see the "Soaked In Bleach" trailer? I don't think there was a conspiracy, but I'm still drawn into reading about and watching it.

Juana

#15 Post by Juana » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:28 pm

I'm not a huge Nirvana fan but this is one of the best documentaries I have ever seen. Everyone in the Paramount that I could see was fucking floored by it. If you're a fan then you will probably love this.

mockbee

#16 Post by mockbee » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:26 pm

Does anybody know if this is just going straight to HBO, or are they releasing it in small theaters?

mockbee

#17 Post by mockbee » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:19 am

mockbee wrote:Does anybody know if this is just going straight to HBO, or are they releasing it in small theaters?
.......On May 4th, HBO will air the in depth look at Nirvana’s leader following a short theatrical run.
oh, my bad, I just saw the HBO part. cool.

creep
Site Admin

#18 Post by creep » Mon May 04, 2015 8:17 pm

i watched this tonight. maybe i expected too much but i was a little disappointed in it. i thought there should have been more interview footage shown and less filming of his diaries. courtney somehow seems healthy and sane in her interviews which is good to see. i also thought the ending was odd with no discussion of his suicide at all. :noclue:

Mescal

#19 Post by Mescal » Mon May 04, 2015 9:43 pm

creep wrote:i watched this tonight. maybe i expected too much but i was a little disappointed in it. i thought there should have been more interview footage shown and less filming of his diaries. courtney somehow seems healthy and sane in her interviews which is good to see. i also thought the ending was odd with no discussion of his suicide at all. :noclue:
Yeah, I saw it too and was pretty biased.

I liked the beginning, but I got bored by the end. Not really very insightful anymore

blackula

#20 Post by blackula » Tue May 05, 2015 8:27 am

This was so hyped up by all the reviews it's hard to live up to it but I enjoyed it. I was in 8th grade and totally had Kurt and Nirvana on a pedestal. He's like an icon from my youth. As an adult with kids it was nice to see the footage of Kurt the person, not the legend. If offers a never seen perspective, if that makes any sense.

Essence_Smith

#21 Post by Essence_Smith » Tue May 05, 2015 1:04 pm

I always found more insight in the interviews years later with Dave Grohl and Kris Novoselic...the ones from the 2010 era...I remember the one part where Kris mentions the fact that was tough for him to pass a pawn shop and see a left handed guitar because he'd always looked out for them for years for Kurt. Also him reminding of the fact that despite people's impression Kurt was a funny guy and that if you look at them together they were always laughing.

Mescal

#22 Post by Mescal » Tue May 05, 2015 10:25 pm

Didn't Krist feel very guilty about his suicide? As in, I could have done more to prevent it?

I don't really follow Nirvana or the Foo Fighters, so I'm interested to hear what they had/have to say about their stint in Nirvana. Always had the feeling Dave downplayed his playing in Nirvana a bit, as in, I've moved on, I have other things to do; and that like I said, Krist felt a bit guilty and was therefore a bit fed up with being a rock star.

Mescal

#23 Post by Mescal » Tue May 05, 2015 10:27 pm

Also, does anybody know where Nirvana got to idea to cover Love Buzz?

Such a good cover! But such a strange choice ... Some obscure song by a pretty obscure Dutch band (well, they were pretty big here in the 60's - dunno about America)

nashtheslash

#24 Post by nashtheslash » Wed May 06, 2015 1:24 am

Soaked in Bleach looks like is should be good. montage was sleeper.

Romeo

#25 Post by Romeo » Wed May 06, 2015 6:46 am

I thought Montage was boring :sleep: I fell asleep