Physical Graffiti

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
S&M

Physical Graffiti

#1 Post by S&M » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:20 pm

This is a cool interview http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2015/ ... t=20150225 ...I know Jane's fans are a mixed bag when it comes to Zeppelin....But this old man still finds them as fresh today as the first day I listened to them...Maybe after many years of repeated breaks and coming back to them I still find new stuff to enjoy?..Timeless stuff for me :heart: :cool:

Essence_Smith

Re: Physical Graffiti

#2 Post by Essence_Smith » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:52 pm

This was the first Zeppelin album I bought and absolutely my favorite...the thing about Zep is aside from their ability and their material they kept the mystique together...Jane's killed that years ago and it works different in this era because there's so much information, but Zep had a legend behind them and still do...

Pandemonium

#3 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:34 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:This was the first Zeppelin album I bought and absolutely my favorite...the thing about Zep is aside from their ability and their material they kept the mystique together...Jane's killed that years ago and it works different in this era because there's so much information, but Zep had a legend behind them and still do...
PG was also my first LZ album back around '76. I really regret passing on a chance to see them when they played LA in '77 because I couldn't be bothered to come up with $20 to buy a friend's spare ticket and I figured they'd be back in a year or so. That never happened.

But yeah, they're probably the biggest band aside from The Beatles that didn't trash their legacy or overstay their welcome like just about every other band. They were also one of the few bands that never really put out a less than great album, and 7 of 9 are stone classics.

I've been keeping up with this newest remaster/reissue program, buying the full tilt box sets as they're released. It's the reason I've been getting a bit back into vinyl albums again. The records actually sound exceptional, far better than my worn to hell original pressings. It's kind of cool every 3 or 4 months getting a new album or two and revisiting them again. The only downside is the out-takes and alternate versions on the extra disc are mostly worthless. This is one gem that should have been included as a bonus track on this release of PG:

kv

#4 Post by kv » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:09 am

i was born in 1970 the year they started to record it and remember being a little kid all intrigued by the gatefold of PG when it came out...it was a musical foundation for me..along with the beatles, beach boys, doors and the stones....just like 100's of millions of people i assume....with that foundation as a young child and adding punk and college rock...i was never a metal guy...or really a hard rock guy...but punk and led zep lead me to jane's...no doubt about it :rockon: and kashmir one of my favorite songs of all time...i even love that shitty recording of maynard with jane's playing it

SR

#5 Post by SR » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:56 am

I read Page was so displeased with the sound of the the Zep catalogue that he decided to re master everything. That's pretty admirable, and speaks to his concern for the legacy. Nice.

Panda, you don't mention the two albums you think are not up tot the standards of the others.....I'll guess one of them is Presence.....my favorite. :thumb: Followed by (after a moments thought)

PG
HOTH
ITTOD
Coda?-If memory serves this album were out takes from prior recording sessions....Loved Darlene

guysmiley

#6 Post by guysmiley » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:28 am

kv wrote:i was born in 1970 the year they started to record it and remember being a little kid all intrigued by the gatefold of PG when it came out...it was a musical foundation for me..along with the beatles, beach boys, doors and the stones....just like 100's of millions of people i assume....with that foundation as a young child and adding punk and college rock...i was never a metal guy...or really a hard rock guy...but punk and led zep lead me to jane's...no doubt about it :rockon: and kashmir one of my favorite songs of all time...i even love that shitty recording of maynard with jane's playing it

I was at that show. That may have been the coolest point of the show. :rockon:

Pandemonium

#7 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:48 pm

SR wrote:I read Page was so displeased with the sound of the the Zep catalogue that he decided to re master everything. That's pretty admirable, and speaks to his concern for the legacy. Nice.

Panda, you don't mention the two albums you think are not up tot the standards of the others.....I'll guess one of them is Presence.....my favorite. :thumb: Followed by (after a moments thought)

PG
HOTH
ITTOD
Coda?-If memory serves this album were out takes from prior recording sessions....Loved Darlene
Yeah, Presence and In Through The Out Door. And it really follows the downward personal arc Page, Plant and Bonham were on after Plant's car accident where he was pretty fucked up through the recording of Presence. Page became a junkie around this time and by the sessions for ITTOD at the end of '78, John Paul Jones was kind of running the band. I really don't count Coda as it's just a hodepodge of minor unreleased stuff, mostly from the last half of the 70's. It's basically LZ's Kettle Whistle.

Aside from Nobody's Fault But Mine, Hots On For Nowhere and Achille's Last Stand, there's not a lot on Presence that I've unconditionally loved unlike just about everything they did up to that point. In Through The Out Door is the first album that seemed like they were treading water. The first and last song on that album are really the showpieces and imo, the live version of "In The Evening" from Knebworth in '79 is incredible. But songs like Carouselambra are just bloated, synth-heavy tracks that don't do anything for me and Hot Dog seems like it's on the album just to show fans "hey, we can still play fast, concise tunes like the punks are doing."

Supposedly, the upcoming release of Coda is going to include a lot more unreleased tracks than the original LP did so hopefully that one will be the gem of this campaign.

SR

#8 Post by SR » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:53 pm

Hmm, interesting. I don't agree much, but hey...Hot Dog is a really fun mix of country and ragtime for me.

Just cruising old footage of the band and this might be my favorite song of theirs....and this versions kills it. They seem to really gel in the second half of it. :rockon: Page clearly knew they had something really special going on.

Matz

#9 Post by Matz » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:19 pm

useless trivia: Zeppelin played their very first show ever in Denmark