The Leftovers (HBO)

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
chaos

The Leftovers (HBO)

#1 Post by chaos » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:57 am

I am kind of surprised by the mixed reviews of this show. Some have said that "plods" along, and others criticize the fact that it is nothing like the book. I have not read the book. Is it a good read?

I watched the first episode last night and enjoyed it. I am intrigued by this freaky show and plan to binge view over the weekend.

Is anyone watching this show? Does it go downhill?

Artemis

Re: The Leftovers (HBO)

#2 Post by Artemis » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:52 am

Never read the books, but love the show.
I've seen the first 5 epiosde, have to catch episode 6 from this week.
I wasn't sure about the first episode because I had no idea what was going on. It was a little slow moving but not so slow for me to lose interest. Episode 3 really explained a lot of what was going on and what happened. I'm hooked now!
I think the show is darkly funny. I don't know if that's the intent or just my dark sense of humour, but I love it. The show really challenges religion in America and what people believe in general. The non-speaking Guilty Remant cult dressed in white and chain-smoking is funny to me.
I will watch to the end of the season for sure.

creep
Site Admin

#3 Post by creep » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:08 pm

i like it but be prepared for absolutely nothing to be answered.

and of course i haven't read the books. :dunce:

wally

#4 Post by wally » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:07 pm

i've been watching but i don't really know why. I'm not captivated by it.

Xizen47

#5 Post by Xizen47 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:39 pm

I really wanted this show to be good. :sad:

So sick of that cult,, will someone please explain why anyone would want to join those assholes?

blackula

#6 Post by blackula » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:57 pm

Lol, that cult is a bunch of assholes.

I like the show. They filmed a few scenes less than a block away from me. I didn't recognize it in the episode, I nead to re-watch it. They filmed for 3 or 4 days at the end of May/early June. They decorated a few houses with Christmas lights so it must've been the episode where the baby Jesus was stolen.

crater

#7 Post by crater » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:28 pm

I've not read the books and I enjoy the series so far.

I've really liked the two episodes that focused mainly on one person.

The priest episode and the most recent episode with Nora have been the best so far IMO

chaos

#8 Post by chaos » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:59 pm

I'm hooked.

creep
Site Admin

#9 Post by creep » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:41 pm

tonights episode was really good

chaos

#10 Post by chaos » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:49 am

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f ... -at-725249

'The Leftovers' Renewed for Second Season at HBO
10:02 AM PDT 8/13/2014 by Lesley Goldberg

Damon Lindelof's drama will be back for a second run next year

The premium cable network announced Wednesday that it has renewed the Damon Lindelof drama for a second season.

"We are thrilled to bring back The Leftovers for a second season with the exceptional talents of Damon Lindelof and Tom Perrotta,” HBO programming president Michael Lombardo said. “It has been truly exciting to see the overwhelming response to their provocative and original storytelling. We look forward to continuing the journey as the show delves deeper into the lives of those who remain.”

The drama, based on Perrotta's best-seller and starring Justin Theroux, enjoyed a solid (if not altogether exciting) premiere audience in June when it opened to 1.7 million viewers. That figure put it nearly half a million south of HBO's previous drama debut, True Detective, from January. But as is the case with most HBO shows, the series has been reaping its biggest ratings from time-shifting, encores and streams on the HBO Go app. The series has surged to nearly 8 million weekly viewers once all platforms are taken into account.

The Leftovers hails from Warner Bros. Television, HBO's first outside studio buy. The cabler, which typically owns all its original programming, is also developing another pilot from WBTV (Westworld) as well as one from 20th Century Fox Television (Ryan Murphy's Open).

HBO originally picked up the rights to The Leftovers in 2011 after Lindelof read the book and tracked the rights back to the network. After signing an overall deal with WBTV, he met with Perrotta and started talking about what a series take would look like.

For HBO, The Leftovers comes as the cabler is poised to say farewell to three dramas. True Blood, The Newsroom and Boardwalk Empire will all end their respective runs with their upcoming seasons. Meanwhile, megahit Game of Thrones has already been locked up for seasons five and six as HBO prepares a second season of anthology True Detective as well as new comedies including The Comeback, Ballers and The Brink, among returning fare Silicon Valley, Getting On, Girls, Veep and more.

zdilla

#11 Post by zdilla » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:30 pm

since i live with depression, i feel like i have to watch this show since everyone in it is depressed :lol: and the theme song is in tune to depression's shame :lol: but it actually is really symbolic and well done. im glad they are doing this for another season. :wave:

farrellgirl99

#12 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:13 pm

finally caught up. i really enjoyed the last two episodes - very good tv. im glad they are finally rounding out some characters

im excited for the season finale next week. and also kinda dreading what the GR has planned for memorial day...

Artemis

#13 Post by Artemis » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:45 pm

Season 2 Trailer:

Oct 4

Artemis

#14 Post by Artemis » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:56 pm

Anyone else catch last night's episode??

I didn't get the opening sequence with the cave woman. After about 5 minutes, I thought maybe I had the wrong show. :lol:

I am optimistic for an interesting season. I'm sure the cave woman will be important later on.

creep
Site Admin

#15 Post by creep » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:26 pm

Artemis wrote:Anyone else catch last night's episode??

I didn't get the opening sequence with the cave woman. After about 5 minutes, I thought maybe I had the wrong show. :lol:

I am optimistic for an interesting season. I'm sure the cave woman will be important later on.
i forgot is was on. a also forgot about homeland. thanks for the reminder.

creep
Site Admin

#16 Post by creep » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:55 pm

i really liked the first episode. yeah the cave woman stuff was weird but i'm sure we will find out more soon. i think i might be going to jail though for watching those young girls run naked. i guess they are at least 18?? :noclue:

blackula

#17 Post by blackula » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:21 pm

This was the first time I really got a "Lost" vibe. I thought it was a great episode. I'm excited to see where this season goes.

JOEinPHX

#18 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:11 pm

So I was sitting there watching last night, and thinking "What the hell is going on? Where are the people I know? I this is stupid. I'm going to turn it off"

Then I look at the time and I was 45 minutes into the episode. Then shit started happening. And by the end I was fully invested in watching the rest of season 2.

That was some damn fine filmmaking.

blackula

#19 Post by blackula » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:37 pm

Anyone still watching? I really liked this season. Not to dwell on Damon Lindelof's past, but Lost seasons started in a new place with a new character like Miracle Texas and John Murphy and the (spoiler alert, but whatever the seasons over) Justin Thoreau's purgatory episode reminded of Desmond's "flash sideways" episodes. I don't think the shows are alike, but those two similarities jumped out at me. Liv Tyler was annoying but the John Murphy/Justin Thoreu parts in the finale were cool. I hope it comes back for a third season.

farrellgirl99

#20 Post by farrellgirl99 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:02 pm

I loved this season. The finale had me very emotional - I loved the ending. Didn't mind we got to see Justin's naked body again too :hehe:

I actually wouldn't mind if that was the series finale. I think it was a great way to go.

creep
Site Admin

#21 Post by creep » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:10 pm

yeah this season is way better than last season. i hope it gets renewed too but i know the ratings are down. it doesn't have a great lead in and it's up against the walking dead. :noclue:

justin theroux does seem to be trying to make the guy earing thing come back though in real life. him and harrison ford are still hanging on to it it seems.

farrellgirl99

#22 Post by farrellgirl99 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:21 pm

He looks pretty creepy in that photo :lol:

I prefer this:

creep
Site Admin

#23 Post by creep » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:36 pm

it was renewed today :thumb:

final season

blackula

#24 Post by blackula » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:18 pm

creep wrote:it was renewed today :thumb:

final season
That's awesome. I was kind of expecting it to be over. It doesn't get the ratings HBO shows usually get. I'm still burned on John From Cincinatti, another weird show with no lead in that didn't get the ratings that HBO cancelled.

I really like this show so I'm happy it'll get a proper ending.

Artemis

#25 Post by Artemis » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:29 pm

I'm glad it there's going to be another season! :rockon:

Season 2 was excellent!