New Faith No More album?

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
creep
Site Admin

Re: New Faith No More album?

#41 Post by creep » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:30 am

listen to the first single motherfucker here. not a huge fan but it is sort of catchy. if you listen to it a couple times good luck not hearing the chorus in your head.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/premi ... r-20141119

Hokahey
Site Admin

#42 Post by Hokahey » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:13 am

creep wrote:listen to the first single motherfucker here. not a huge fan but it is sort of catchy. if you listen to it a couple times good luck not hearing the chorus in your head.

Love it. It's not a perfect song by any means, but it has big ol balls and has been stuck in my head. That sounds bad...

Even still, good for them. When your first single in 16-17(?) years is called Mother Fucker, sounds like the band your fans know and love, and is reasonably decent? You win.

blackula

#43 Post by blackula » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:28 pm

It sounds like it was written before Patton joined the process and he threw some vocals over Roddy's. I still like the song though, reminds me of Midlife Crisis a little.

nausearockpig

#44 Post by nausearockpig » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:31 pm

So I'm guessing this guy thinks that Mike P somehow snuck his way into the band and the other guys didn't know... or something...

some charming comments there....

http://thequietus.com/articles/12878-ep ... th-no-more
Epic Fail: How Mike Patton Murdered Faith No More
Jamie Thomson , July 22nd, 2013 05:22
30 years ago a man called Chuck Mosley joined Faith No More. Our man Jamie Thomson mourns the day he left

In 1990, a music video for a song called 'Epic' offered a chilling vision of the future. It showed a young man dressed as a children's TV presenter leaping about like a rapping granny, spitting the kind of flow only advertising executives would find passable. Had I knew then what I know now, I would have said: "Oh Jesus, this is Year Zero in a 20-year musical nightmare that will end up with Limp Bizkit being one of the biggest bands on the planet." Instead, I merely thought: "Wow, they've really, REALLY fucked up one of my favourite bands."

A couple of years earlier, there was a nice little San Francisco band called Faith No More, a multicultural cross-section of Bay Area scenesters – punkers, funkers, meat-and-potato metalheads and future gay icons – who crashed into my world by virtue of a 3rd generation TDK of their second album, Introduce Yourself. I loved it immediately – it had heavy bits, it had funk bits (yes, I make no bones about it - as a 15-year-old, one of my most important quests was to track down a vinyl copy of the Red Hot Chili Peppers' Freaky Styley), it had washes of gothy keyboards, but most of all it was voiced with a charismatic, soulful melancholia I've rarely heard the likes of since. 'Anne's Song' – probably my favourite track – masquerades as a simple soundtrack for good times, a roll call of characters in the mood to party. But further listens uncover the angst, uncertainty and sexual politics that come with something simple as "going out with some friends". As a callow youth, it was a window into a world that thrilled and scared me in equal measure.

The owner of that expressive, maudlin voice wasn't long for the band, however. If memory serves, narcolepsy was cited as the reason for Chuck Mosley's exit in 1988 (I had my suspicions that this was code for something more sinister, but never did find out), and he was replaced by Mr Bungle frontman Mike Patton, whose acerbic whining couldn't be further from Mosely's ragged croons. However, Patton's white-boy rapping was just what MTV was looking for and FNM went from late-night cult act, where 'We Care A Lot' could occasionally be spotted on the likes of 120 Minutes at two in the morning, to enjoying the kind of heavy rotation from which superstars are made. I can't say for certain that the frontman's change of skin tone was what opened the doors for them, but they sure as hell sounded whiter. And, lest we forget, this is MTV we're talking about – a channel, in the 80s at least, not known for its groundbreaking multicultural agenda.

This, of course, opened the doors for any number of bands peddling their suddenly marketable rap-rock hybrids. A newly neutered Red Hot Chili Peppers tricked an unexpecting world into accepting Blood Sugar Sex Magick into their homes, which would then allow them to smear their execrable output over our lives for the next twenty years. In their wake followed bands of wildly varying quality - Mordred, Infectious Grooves, Living Colour, Primus, 24-7 Spyz, Heads Up, Urban Dance Squad – until beaten into submission, we eventually allowed the likes of Kid Rock, Linkin Park, Insane Clown Posse and Limp Bizkit to install themselves as the Black CNN for white folks.

And – oh God – how could I forget the countless dreadful provincial metal bands with serious delusions of grandeur – the kind that think the more strings on your bass you have, the more serious a musician you are; and kind of band that sees nothing out of the ordinary in performing a cover version of a someone else's cover. Yes, these are the fools who would bust out a version of 'Easy' in the middle of a set of otherwise stilted funk-metal accompanied by "Ooh, let's see what this preset does" keyboard flourishes. If Faith No More thought they were being challenging and didactic by paying tribute to The Commodores, they vastly overestimated their fanbase's resourcefulness and willingness to broaden their horizons. If anything, the opposite occurred – it gave Patton's acolytes a molehill of superiority to sit upon and broadcast their new-found expertise on soul music: "Well, I love 'Easy', of course, but nothing else really grabs me. (If it was any good, Faith No More would have covered it, wouldn't they?)" Indeed, interviews with Patton and his bandmates towards the end of the 90s displayed a marked unease at how simple it was to toss out half-formed ideas and have their audience honk and slap their flippers together in approval. They really should have called that 1991 live album: How Shall We Fuck Off, O Lord?

Worse still, the "I like Faith No More, therefore I'm better at music than you" crowd were given succour by journalists falling over themselves to heap praise on 1992's Angel Dust. It cropped up in album of the year lists and even a few 'most influential albums of all time' round-ups. Although I balk at the thought that dropping a Beastie Boys sample in the middle of a song is somehow cutting edge, I'll concede that the album is undoubtedly massively influential. Watch a few hours of Kerrang! or Scuzz these days and you'll see the tropes on this record recycled a billion times: choppy riffs, wailing backing vocals, faux-emotive piano breaks to drive home how blinking, bloody, ruddy heavy the rest of the heaviness is. I realise it's probably a bit unfair to blame a 20-year-old record for the stasis that modern rock is mired in, but, hey, you have to start somewhere.

By now, a few of you are undoubtedly apoplectic that I would shoot down the band that got you through school/ college/ life in whatever tedious market town it was you grew up in, and are leaping around (in your tie dye hoodies, naturally) with rage because I have dared to question Patton and co's genius. Here's the thing. You guys won. Faith No More's reunion in 2009 was attended by half the population of Europe. Empires fell, planets aligned, world peace was declared etc. And rock musicians nowadays – from rapey rap-metal cretins to slightly less offensive progressive metal cretins – have Faith No More's shitty, shitty music firmly embedded into their DNA: the influence is inescapable.

To his credit, however, Patton has spent his time away from the band building up a CV with impeccable credentials. He has worked with the likes of John Zorn, Buzz Osborne, Eyvind Kang, Otomo Yoshide, Bjork and Melt-Banana. His label Ipecac has provided a home and support for acts as diverse as the Melvins, Dalek, Neil Hamburger and his own supergroup, Tomahawk. By doing so he's managed to become one of the most potent driving forces in avant-garde and alternative music in the last 15 or so years (or, as I like to think of it, he has delivered the world's longest apology). When I listen to Fantomas or Tomahawk, I think to myself: “You know, it was over two decades ago when he ruined that band. I should really let it go.” But then I see him bouncing around like a twat in that video for Epic. Sorry Mike. You may indeed want it all, but you can't have it.

Larry B.

#45 Post by Larry B. » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:47 pm

To his credit, however, (...)
Not sure if this is satire or not, but at the same time I know it's not. He used the word "croons" to describe Mosley's style and "whining" for Patton's?

On the topic of the single, I thought it was pretty bad, but the chorus is catchy as hell.

JOEinPHX

#46 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:40 pm

Fucking love it. I really wouldn't expect them to give us a rock song to start off the new era.

This is very Greenfields-ish. It doesnt rock, but it doesn't need to.

Essence_Smith

#47 Post by Essence_Smith » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:34 pm

I love FNM but this didn't knock me out...it's middle of the road for them and I have been listening to them religiously for weeks and weeks now...I'm looking forward to the new album and I will TOTALLY be going to see them on tour...

creep
Site Admin

#48 Post by creep » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:25 pm

creep wrote:listen to the first single motherfucker here. not a huge fan but it is sort of catchy. if you listen to it a couple times good luck not hearing the chorus in your head.

the gimp sounds and looks like chuck mosley. i wonder if he is going to be involved with the new record or the live shows?

creep
Site Admin

#49 Post by creep » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:25 am

the amoeba set. 5 songs. two new songs...the same ones they did in europe. motherfucker and superhero.

1.Motherfucker
2.As The Worms Turns
3.Spirit
4. Ashes To Ashes
5.Superhero

Larry B.

#50 Post by Larry B. » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:19 am

creep wrote:the amoeba set. 5 songs. two new songs...the same ones they did in europe. motherfucker and superhero.

1.Motherfucker
2.As The Worms Turns
3.Spirit
4. Ashes To Ashes
5.Superhero

That was alright. It's strange how much the energy changes depending on the size of the venue and the lights and everything.

Still not a big fan of the new songs. They sound somehow unfinished to me.

nausearockpig

#51 Post by nausearockpig » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:38 pm

This is probably too late, but if anyone chances upon a copy of the Record Store Day single Motherfucker, can you please grab it for me and I'll pay for it and postage..

nausearockpig

#52 Post by nausearockpig » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:58 pm

Larry B. wrote:
creep wrote:the amoeba set. 5 songs. two new songs...the same ones they did in europe. motherfucker and superhero.

1.Motherfucker
2.As The Worms Turns
3.Spirit
4. Ashes To Ashes
5.Superhero

That was alright. It's strange how much the energy changes depending on the size of the venue and the lights and everything.

Still not a big fan of the new songs. They sound somehow unfinished to me.
I'm not sold on Motherfucker yet, but I liked Superhero a lot. From what I could hear, it sounded like something from somewhere between Angel Dust and King For A Day.... Great stuff and thanks for the links!

Diabolik

#53 Post by Diabolik » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:27 pm

Besides Jane's Addiction, Faith No More is the band I'loved just as long and just as much and I couldn't be happier that there's new stuff.

Not sold of Superhero yet, but I really like Motherfucker. It's silly to have that chorus, but also really actually in your face.

I also really love the social media side of things, lots of instagram, twitter and Facebook interaction with fans.

nausearockpig

#54 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:18 am

is Jon Hudson part of the band, as in, a part of the songwriting process etc, or "just the guitar player"?

nausearockpig

#55 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:18 pm

nausearockpig wrote:This is probably too late, but if anyone chances upon a copy of the Record Store Day single Motherfucker, can you please grab it for me and I'll pay for it and postage..
Belay that order. I have found a local shop that still has them!

creep
Site Admin

#56 Post by creep » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:37 pm

nausearockpig wrote:is Jon Hudson part of the band, as in, a part of the songwriting process etc, or "just the guitar player"?
he co-wrote many of the songs on album of the year so i assume he is part of the writing process. :noclue:

nausearockpig

#57 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:40 pm

creep wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:is Jon Hudson part of the band, as in, a part of the songwriting process etc, or "just the guitar player"?
he co-wrote many of the songs on album of the year so i assume he is part of the writing process. :noclue:
If that's the case I don't have high hopes for the new record :(T

creep
Site Admin

#58 Post by creep » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:57 pm

nausearockpig wrote:
creep wrote:
he co-wrote collision, stripsearch and ashes to ashes. three of my favorite fnm songs.

nausearockpig

#59 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:31 am

creep wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:
creep wrote:
he co-wrote collision, stripsearch and ashes to ashes. three of my favorite fnm songs.
I suppose then you have high hopes for the new record :)

creep
Site Admin

#60 Post by creep » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:59 am

nausearockpig wrote:
creep wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:
creep wrote:
I suppose then you have high hopes for the new record :)
:noclue: they haven't let me down yet.

nausearockpig

#61 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:13 am

I was pretty impressed with Superhero and Motherfucker is growing on me. I think it was you who said that the chorus gets stuck in your head. V true.

I couldn't dig Album of the Year like I did The Real Thing & Angel Dust. I think that FNM lost a core facet when Jim was fired.

creep
Site Admin

#62 Post by creep » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:31 am

nausearockpig wrote:I was pretty impressed with Superhero and Motherfucker is growing on me. I think it was you who said that the chorus gets stuck in your head. V true.

I couldn't dig Album of the Year like I did The Real Thing & Angel Dust. I think that FNM lost a core facet when Jim was fired.
i listen to kfad and album of the year way more than any other albums these days.

jim martin had hardly anything to do with angel dust. he is only credited on two songs. you should watch that very long "making of angle dust" on youtube sometime. jim was pretty absent. the real thing is my least favorite patton fnm album. :noclue:

nausearockpig

#63 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:01 am

creep wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:I was pretty impressed with Superhero and Motherfucker is growing on me. I think it was you who said that the chorus gets stuck in your head. V true.

i listen to kfad and album of the year way more than any other albums these days.

jim martin had hardly anything to do with angel dust. he is only credited on two songs. you should watch that very long "making of angle dust" on youtube sometime. jim was pretty absent. the real thing is my least favorite patton fnm album. :noclue:

SHUT UP!!!! YOU'RE NOT A REAL FAN. GET RID OF MIKE AND BRING CHUCK BACK!!!!

:lolol:

Seriously though, even though Jim didn't write a lot on AD, his vibe is there. The subsequent guitar players are technically proficient and IMO can play the old (Jim era) songs just as well as Jim but to me, it's just not the same. For me, nothing past AD is as good as As The Worm Turns - for example.
But, each to their own, I'm glad u find their amateur-hour songs fulfilling. Kidding (about the A-A, not your fulfillment).

creep
Site Admin

#64 Post by creep » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:17 am

:no:

fyi...the best fnm song of all time is easily stripsearch.

written by my hero jon hudson.
The song was based on a song written by guitarist Jon Hudson, composed in simple MIDI format, hence the heavy electronic sound.

nausearockpig

#65 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:33 am

creep wrote::no:

fyi...the best fnm song of all time is easily stripsearch.

written by my hero jon hudson.
The song was based on a song written by guitarist Jon Hudson, composed in simple MIDI format, hence the heavy electronic sound.
Ha! I would expect no less from a FNM noob. Go play your new record...

In the immortal words of Regurgitator "I Like Your Old Stuff Better Than Your New Stuff"!