New Faith No More album?

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Essence_Smith

Re: New Faith No More album?

#181 Post by Essence_Smith » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:09 am

I think what also gets overlooked is how much their music and style progressed over the years...they started as a completely different band and grew into something pretty cool imo...

mockbee

#182 Post by mockbee » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:12 am

Matz wrote:I'm the only one here who thinks this band is completely overrated right?

I'll let you know after Friday..................

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

creep
Site Admin

#183 Post by creep » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:25 am

anyone else going to listen to the leaked album? i will buy the cd too. this will be my first cd purchase since the jane's box set.

Larry B.

#184 Post by Larry B. » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:51 am

I'm downloading it right now!

Larry B.

#185 Post by Larry B. » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:00 am

Here I'll post my impressions as they come:

1. Sol Invictus: quite a poor track. Too much Patton solo and too little Faith No More.

2. Superhero: an old man's Diggin' The Grave with some poor lyrics and a boring voice gimmick. Not liking what I hear so far.

3. Sunny Side Up: again, too much Patton. They use an odd meter that doesn't really add to the song, I think.

4. Separation Anxiety: this one was a little bit better, but still a song that I'd probably skip in their other albums. But cool track, it's got something. Except after 2:10, when it turns into a rock mess that I don't like and that I don't think suits Faith No More. And it's such a horrible name.

5. Cone of Shame: not a song that I'd listed to. Way too much Patton on this one. If only he were singing, instead of just speaking in a low voice.

*** General thoughts so far: deeply unconvinced and quite disappointed. It's got many of the rock clichés and very little of what made Faith No More special. "Let's finish all the songs with a forte, tutti. Very loud and noisy."

6. Rise of the Fall: (what's up with these song names? they're shameful) this is ridiculous. It's not even gimmicky, it's just a very bad song. It's not cool, it's not rock, it's a poor attempt to provide Mediterranean (?) flavour to Faith No More. It's another standard rock song.

7. Black Friday: this might be the worst song Faith No More has ever recorded. The lyrics are horrendous, there's a tambourine somewhere, and handclaps. Seriously, this is terrible. Oh, and Patton sings with a low voice, then he screams. Or does that "loud whisper" thing. Just like in every song in this album. Oh, and sometimes he also sings with an effect.

8. Motherfucker: takes too long to even start. There's just too much lyrics in this album. There's no space for the music. Anyway, this song is sort of alright, probably because I've already listened to it for a few months and it is definitely catchy. That chorus right now was the best moment in the album for me, and it came on the 8th song. Took too long.

9. Matador: again, takes too long to even start properly. Oh, this is a piano song. After about 1:30 the drums come in and it is anti-climatic. Then there's a crescendo around 2:00 that ends up with the word "matador". Don't like it.

10. From the dead: Acoustic guitars and the tambourine make their comeback. I imagine it's in jest. Very hippie happy song. Nope, that's the song. It's sort of sweet, I'll give them that. For what it is, it's the best song in the album for me. And it sounds like something Green Day could have recorded for American Idiot.

*** Final review: This album is shit. I'm disappointed. I'd still go to see them if I could. But this album is shit.

creep
Site Admin

#186 Post by creep » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:46 am

Larrys review is the only bad review I have read

Essence_Smith

#187 Post by Essence_Smith » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:45 pm

creep wrote:Larrys review is the only bad review I have read
:nod:
No offense but everyone here who's ever tried to review albums track by track is usually off...this review reminds me of Sonny's review of Strays back in the day... :lol:

I remember not liking King for a Day AT ALL when I first heard it...I mean I hated it...about a year later I picked it up and it grew on me...actually all FNM albums with the exception of the first one Patton was on did that to me...they're not the easiest band to just put on and get into...currently listening to Superhero...it just sounds like them to me...I can't tell if I really like it or not, but I don't dislike it which is a good sign...I think Larry decided he didn't like it from the get go...and I think FNM sounding like FNM is a GOOD sign...

Larry B.

#188 Post by Larry B. » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:12 pm

Seriously. If you liked FNM's earlier albums and you don't like Green Day or The Greatest Gay Parties, I don't see how you'd like this album.

Essence_Smith

#189 Post by Essence_Smith » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:56 pm

Larry B. wrote:Seriously. If you liked FNM's earlier albums and you don't like Green Day or The Greatest Gay Parties, I don't see how you'd like this album.
Only heard three songs...but pretty much all of em I didn't like until months later...they all have that effect on me, the only one I liked right away was Real Thing

nausearockpig

#190 Post by nausearockpig » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:44 pm

intertwoven wrote:
Matz wrote:so this must be a great song, I suppose, in people's minds around here....? ehm...eh..ok...then...

That's their equivalent of "Standing in the Shower.. Thinking".. a fun little (water-themed) song, but not like anyone is going to site it as their best.
I reckon it's way better than "Standing..." if you were to rank each bands' songs against each other. I really don't like the fade out though, what's with the fucking fade out.. come on .......

Noonesshocking

#191 Post by Noonesshocking » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:14 pm

Think this will make it up to youtube?

JOEinPHX

#192 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:39 pm

nausearockpig wrote:
intertwoven wrote:
Matz wrote:so this must be a great song, I suppose, in people's minds around here....? ehm...eh..ok...then...

That's their equivalent of "Standing in the Shower.. Thinking".. a fun little (water-themed) song, but not like anyone is going to site it as their best.
I reckon it's way better than "Standing..." if you were to rank each bands' songs against each other. I really don't like the fade out though, what's with the fucking fade out.. come on .......
Underwater Love >>>>>> Standing in The Shower Trying To Remember Casey's Poetry So I Can Write Some Lyrics Later

nausearockpig

#193 Post by nausearockpig » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:43 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:
intertwoven wrote:

Underwater Love >>>>>> Standing in The Shower Trying To Remember Casey's Poetry So I Can Write Some Lyrics Later
Totes. I listened to the UL version from You Fat Bastards today.. Much better ending than the album... fade outs are fucking stupid.

Mescal

#194 Post by Mescal » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:50 pm

The only FNM I listen to as a whole is The Real Thing. Never liked Angel Dust and the others all that much. Some excellent tunes on each of them, but somehow the albums didn't grip me

nausearockpig

#195 Post by nausearockpig » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:56 am

Mescal wrote:The only FNM I listen to as a whole is The Real Thing. Never liked Angel Dust and the others all that much. Some excellent tunes on each of them, but somehow the albums didn't grip me
Do you find AD too schizo/metal? I think Angel Dust is the perfect progression from The Real Thing as it moves into crazier territory. From what I've seen and read, the band wrote an album that was not "The Real Thing Vol 2" - something the record company at the time wanted, another "Epic"... I love it and feel that after that album, FNM lost their FNM-ness with Jim out of the band.. I like most of the songs on King For A Day, Fool For a Lifetime, but find that there's something missing.. that something is Jim's input. Same goes for Album of the Year.

creep
Site Admin

#196 Post by creep » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:50 am

mockbee wrote:
Matz wrote:I'm the only one here who thinks this band is completely overrated right?

well? :noclue:

mockbee

#197 Post by mockbee » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:04 pm

Well...... Here is your crappily written review of the show last night in Portland:

It was good.

I got their late, I was knee deep in mud unearthing downed trees in the woods and cataloging them, so I missed whatever opening (performance art thing) they had. It's been a long time since I have minlged with the Portland 90s scene crowd. They were out in full force and to say they were amped up before the show would be an understatement. Tattooed, bearded, scruffy, colored hair, gruff, black clothing, piercings everywhere, bandanas, obnoixious behaviour and grey - all between age 35-50. :cool:

I was trying to determine if this was all a part of the hipster movement, but 40-50 yo are not into being hipster, you could tell these tattoos had been around a long time. I actually fit in pretty well with my flannel shirt and filthy double fronted carhartts and well used calf high danner boots, blood crusted on my arms from all the brambles. I was amped as EVERYONE else was as well. Everyone were reflecting about the last time they saw FNM in the 90s and didn't think they would ever see them again.

So the show starts with Motherfucker, and that is a good song.... I couldn't actually recognize 3/4 of the songs, which might be understandable because I don't know their whole catalogue, but I don't think anybody else did either, I think they played a ton off the new album. It was really good. Everyone was right on point and perfect in the mix and the sound was excellent. Patton kept ragging on Portland, I loved it, but I don't think these original gen-Xy grunge folk were too keen on being lumped in with the "food truck" madness, eco-living and being overwhelmley white (which Portland totally is) He did a couple of his hits, Here;s a setlist I found online:

Motherfucker
Land of Sunshine
Caffeine
Evidence
Epic
Sunny Side Up
Get Out
Midlife Crisis
Everything’s Ruined
The Gentle Art of Making Enemies
Easy
Spirit
King for a Day
Ashes to Ashes
Superhero

Separation Anxiety
We Care a Lot
From the Dead

I loved King for a Day and Ashes to Ashes.

I will be acquiring their new album for sure.

So good show, I wasn't blown away, but I could see being that way if I was a huge fan. Also, I think Patton just saw Portland as a stop on the tour and not necessarily a special show, like you always want a band to feel when you see them. He kept making fun of how the show was held in a huge Opera House (which Keller is, it's for Broadway musicals and huge theater events.....not rock concerts. But Portland has a short supply of -not a theater but not an arena- type venues.

mockbee

#198 Post by mockbee » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:08 pm

creep wrote:
mockbee wrote:

well? :noclue:

You almost lost it creep...................

I am on a sketchy connection and it totally got stuck when I submitted and then your post popped up first, then I waited a minute and my review came back..............
:noclue:

And I wasnr retypping that crap.

:lolol:

creep
Site Admin

#199 Post by creep » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:15 pm

you got 5 new songs.

i always enjoy a show much more if i know the songs.

ashes to ashes might be their best live song. sucks that i will miss tomorrows show but it doesn't suck that i don't have to make that drive.

nausearockpig

#200 Post by nausearockpig » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:04 pm

mockbee wrote:
Motherfucker
Land of Sunshine
Caffeine
Evidence
Epic
Sunny Side Up
Get Out
Midlife Crisis
Everything’s Ruined
The Gentle Art of Making Enemies
Easy
Spirit
King for a Day
Ashes to Ashes
Superhero

Separation Anxiety
We Care a Lot
From the Dead
18 songs - probably 90 or so mins?

you got Spirit which is old and rare, and We Care A Lot which is pretty much a given, but not always...
4 songs from Angel Dust, Land of Sunshine and Caffeine being stand-outs.
Only Epic from The Real Thing (which is a bit disappointing, but something has to give...)
4 from KFAD
1 from Album of the Year (thank fuck) and
5 new songs (! excellent)
oh and Easy... (that fucking shit song they always do.... whyyyyyyyy??????? It's not funny, it's not good, show off your vocal range & ability via some other song like Anne's Song).

Really, that's a pretty good spread. Another song like Zombie Eaters or Underwater Love from TRT would've been sweet but that's just being picky...

Sounds like a great show, glad you enjoyed it...

nausearockpig

#201 Post by nausearockpig » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:11 pm

hey on a side note, I wonder if Mike Patton's will has an instruction where someone issues a press release as to what the "it" is in Epic's "it's it, what is it?" He's never confirmed what "it" is...

mockbee

#202 Post by mockbee » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:47 am

nausearockpig wrote:hey on a side note, I wonder if Mike Patton's will has an instruction where someone issues a press release as to what the "it" is in Epic's "it's it, what is it?" He's never confirmed what "it" is...
I think it IS it, and that's all there is to it.

It makes sense to me...... :noclue:

:hehe:

It was a cool show. The bass guy, (Gould right?), was really into it and the drummer was awesome, flailing about with complete control. Amazing.
I told my boss I was going to this show and he said, Oh, I did a house remodel project up in Pacific Heights for the drummer of that band back in the 90s after Real Thing... He had a really nice house. Thought that was interesting. I seem to work for a lot of architects who do houses for really cool musicians. In the 2003 I actually worked on a project with my boss and Frank to do a major house remodel in Eugene for Frank Black and his wife Violet, right before he started up the Pixies again. That was cool, but dumb me, I only sort of knew who the Pixies were at the time. But that was probably good, I would have probably been awkward around him.

Is 90 minutes pretty typical for FNM? It felt really short..... :noclue:

nausearockpig

#203 Post by nausearockpig » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:26 am

I think it's a bit shorter than usual, I'd have to check some of the bootlegs I have.

From memory, there was some conjecture that "it" was sex, orgasm or loss of virginity... Some of the lines kinda fit that and in some live versions he sings "and you fuck it some more" instead of "do it some more"... Dunno.

creep
Site Admin

#204 Post by creep » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:22 am

creep wrote:
intertwoven wrote:Looks like the album is out there now.
after my first listen i like the album ok. it seems to be the type of album that will grow on me after a few listens. every fnm album has a few turds on it and this one doesn't have any that stand out to me as turd worthy. the best song on the album is separation anxiety. i need a few more listens though...
cone of shame is my new choice of favorite song on the album.

the album is definitely a grower. i'm on listen three or four and it's really good. my only complaint is that mike needs to do more singing and less trying to show off his range. but that is what he does now.

MYXYLPLYX

#205 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:11 am

mockbee wrote: and the drummer was awesome, flailing about with complete control. Amazing.
I told my boss I was going to this show and he said, Oh, I did a house remodel project up in Pacific Heights for the drummer of that band back in the 90s after Real Thing... He had a really nice house.
Mike Bordin... I don't think he lives in Pac Heights any more though. Really nice guy, and a huge Giants fan. :thumb: