AC/DC : The end of a f... good era

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Pandemonium

Re: AC/DC : The end of a f... good era

#26 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:31 pm

"AC/DC Forced To Postpone Ten Shows Or Risk 'Total Hearing Loss' For Singer BRIAN JOHNSON"

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/acdc-f ... n-johnson/

Jeeze, AC/DC just can't get a break the past couple'a years.

I don't see how these guys can possibly reschedule the remaining shows with a "guest singer." As it is they have a guest rhythm guitarist and guest drummer this tour, I just can't imagine *anyone* no matter how good a fit or how big a name coming in and subbing for Brian Johnson to finish off the tour and promoters not being bombarded with mass refunds for those pricey tickets.

If it's as serious as it sounds, they're done.

Mescal

#27 Post by Mescal » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:36 pm

Yeah well, they're all about 100 years old.

So it's a good time to stop

perkana

#28 Post by perkana » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:56 pm

I'm so lucky to have seen them in '11. Definitely one of the most memorable shows I've ever seen.

Pandemonium

#29 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:19 am

This looks like it's going to get really ugly, really quick:

http://www.cantonrep.com/entertainment/ ... b/?Start=4

A BITTER FAREWELL

According to Breuer, Johnson was optimistic about making up the dates on the band’s current U.S. tour and finishing as many remaining dates on the AC/DC itinerary as possible. Then his tour luggage showed up on his driveway.

“(Brian said) 'I would really like to finish and do some shows. I think we can knock this out.’ ” Breuer continued. “Then all his luggage that he toured with showed up at his driveway. There’s been no calls. No, ‘How’s your hearing? How’s your health?’ Boom. Here’s your (stuff), nice to know you.”

According to the band’s website, Johnson was “advised by doctors to stop touring immediately or risk total hearing loss.” The press release went on to state the remaining 10 U.S. dates of the band’s current “Rock or Bust” tour would be rescheduled later in the year and “likely with a guest vocalist.”

SR

#30 Post by SR » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:28 am

That link didn't work for me.....am I reading it as Johnson was fired?

Matz

#31 Post by Matz » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:26 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
“(Brian said) 'I would really like to finish and do some shows. I think we can knock this out.’ ” Breuer continued. “Then all his luggage that he toured with showed up at his driveway. There’s been no calls. No, ‘How’s your hearing? How’s your health?’ Boom. Here’s your (stuff), nice to know you.”
fuckin strange and insensitive way to act, well, we only know one side of things....but still, they owe that guy a hell of a lot you'd think...

creep
Site Admin

#32 Post by creep » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:38 pm

they are probably doing the right thing by not letting him finish the shows.

creep
Site Admin

#33 Post by creep » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:34 pm

i don't believe for a second that axl will be the new lead singer for the rest of the shows. that makes no sense.

Mescal

#34 Post by Mescal » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:22 pm

Axl Rose fronting another band?

I don't know where you heard those rumours. But I don't see him doing that.

Pandemonium

#35 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:46 am

Mescal wrote:Axl Rose fronting another band?

I don't know where you heard those rumours. But I don't see him doing that.
The rumor is gaining a lot of traction as AC/DC is rehearsing with *someone* right now. But I can't see how it's possible Axl could front the remaing shows on AC/DC's schedule when Guns n' Roses is going to be playing a number of huge shows next month and is booking a major world tour through much of the rest of the year.

Artemis

#36 Post by Artemis » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:06 pm

Maybe Axl will do one or two shows, but I can't see him doing the rest of the tour. :noclue:
I can't see Angus and Axl getting along very well. :lol:

Pandemonium

#37 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:24 pm

Artemis wrote:Maybe Axl will do one or two shows, but I can't see him doing the rest of the tour. :noclue:
I can't see Angus and Axl getting along very well. :lol:
There's a reliable guy who has inside contacts in the AC/DC camp on another site who says Angus has dramatically changed since his brother was diagnosed with dementia. His quote: "Angus is different with Malcolm gone- harder, more critical- He stays in his dressing room and tells people how badly they played." He also added "I do know that Phil Rudd will never be allowed back."

Artemis

#38 Post by Artemis » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:37 pm

That'll be the day,eh? :lolol:

Pandemonium

#39 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:41 am

TMZ posted some photos of Axl and the rest of the AC/DC leaving an Atlanta rehearsal studio last Friday so it looks like at least both parties are considering giving it a go. I'd guess Slash and Duff are probably shitting bricks about now.

Pandemonium

#40 Post by Pandemonium » Sat May 07, 2016 9:51 pm

Axl/DC played their first show tonight and honestly, it sounds like Axl killed it singing from an office chair especially on the Brian Johnson tunes which I though he'd be a big fail on. However, if I had tickets to any of the GnR shows this Summer (or was Slash or Duff), I'd be sweating bullets he is going to fry his voice doing these AC/DC shows.

Artemis

#41 Post by Artemis » Sun May 08, 2016 4:44 am

I watched few vids from the Lisbon show and have to say that I was impressed. Good job, Axl! :tiphat:

Nice review from The Guardian newspaper:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/m ... ?CMP=fb_gu
AC/DC review – Axl Rose brings menace as rock legends pull off a triumph
5 / 5 stars

The Guns N’ Roses singer might have been confined to a ‘throne’, but he delivered a masterly first appearance fronting AC/DC

AC/DC couldn’t really have handled the departure of their singer Brian Johnson much worse – a curt statement on their website announcing he could no longer tour owing to hearing loss, and their intention to continue with a stand-in – short of announcing a compulsory redundancy programme for all Florida-resident geordies with a penchant for caps. Their fanbase, normally unquestioningly loyal, reacted with unexpected irritation: refunds for upcoming shows were demanded (and given), and many – me included – questioned whether they should continue at all.

When they announced that Johnson’s short-term replacement would be Guns N’ Roses singer Axl Rose – a man for whom reliability is not a byword – eyebrows were further raised. Given AC/DC’s legendary efficiency, and Rose’s equally legendary tardiness in taking the stage, it seemed like it could be a case of the irresistible force meeting the immovable object. And then Rose broke a metatarsal, meaning he would be chairbound on stage. AC/DC, a band who care what people think of them rather less than anyone except, perhaps, Donald Trump, evidently decided in the wake of all these disasters that they needed to win people back. And so, for this first show with Rose, writers – the Guardian included – have been flown in to Portugal as the band attempt to prove they are still a worthwhile concern, even with guitarist Angus Young and bassist Cliff Williams the only remaining core members.

Rose’s arrival makes this show the first AC/DC gig in years – certainly since Johnson replaced the late Bon Scott in 1980 – at which no one knows exactly what to expect. Its triumph is that it does do exactly what one would expect, but rather better than one had dared hope for. Rose being confined to his throne on casters – he looks for all the world like a hard rock Davros – is a rare downside to his performance.

The triumph lies in the renditions of the songs AC/DC wrote and recorded when Bon Scott was still alive. Whereas the Johnson era material tended towards boozy bonhomie, Scott was often a malevolently misanthropic writer and singer, concealing a slightly terrifying rage behind apparent good humour. Rose, who is familiar with both malevolence and misanthropy, delivers those songs perfectly, giving them fresh menace. Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap loses its cartoonish aspect, and becomes the barroom chatter of a psychopath; he introduces Shot Down in Flames as “the story of my life” and convinces you it’s true. His voice, too, is brilliant: no matter how high, every note is hit, and sustained. And he keeps it up for two hours.

He seems more relaxed on the Scott songs, perhaps because of the manner of his replacing Johnson. Johnson’s songs are delivered just fine, but there’s a slight sense he’s being a little too reverent. He’s spoken of wanting to do justice to Johnson’s work, and maybe he’s concerned with not imprinting his own personality over the songs. That’s true, too, of his rapport with the crowd. Johnson was unfailingly good humoured – not much of an anecdote teller, but ready to rouse the rabble. Rose confines himself to a few softly spoken words between songs and a few all-but-inaudible thank yous afterwards. For this show, with this much at stake, you expect him to be the cheerleader for AC/DC, but he refuses to take the role.

Nevertheless, he compensates for the sometimes erratic sound – a fierce wind blowing off the Tagus following a day of horrendous rain bashes the music hither and thither – and perhaps even inadvertently outshines Young, who sounds a tiny bit approximate in the fiddly intro to Thunderstruck. For AC/DC Kremlinologists, though, the telling moments come with the incorporation of two songs from the 1978 album Powerage that been out of live circulation for a long while, Rock’n’Roll Damnation and a thrillingly brutal Riff Raff. “I never shot nobody / Don’t even carry a gun,” Rose snarls, with complete conviction. “I ain’t done nothing wrong / Just having fun.”

Carry on like this, and those wondering whether AC/DC are still worth going to see this summer should have no worries: they, too, will be having fun.
Here’s the set list from the show:

"Rock or Bust"
"Shoot to Thrill"
"Hell Ain't a Bad Place to Be"
"Back in Black"
"Got Some Rock & Roll Thunder"
"Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap"
"Rock 'N' Roll Damnation"
"Thunderstruck"
"High Voltage"
"Rock 'N' Roll Train"
”Hells Bells"
"Given the Dog a Bone"
"Sin City"
"You Shook Me All Night Long"
"Shot Down in Flames"
"Have a Drink on Me"
"T.N.T."
"Whole Lotta Rosie"
"Let There Be Rock"
"Highway to Hell"
"Riff Raff"
"For Those About to Rock (We Salute You)"

More videos from Lisbon in this Billboard link:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/colum ... sbon-video

Pandemonium

#42 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:02 am

Cliff Williams makes it official, he's quitting AC/DC leaving Angus as the only permanent, original member left in the band. Angus claims he wants to continue the AC/DC "brand" but who knows. Aside from probably keeping Stevie Young on rhythm guitar, he's going to need a new singer, bass player and possibly a new drummer. Arguably, tonight's show in Philadelphia may be the final AC/DC show:

Mescal

#43 Post by Mescal » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:28 pm

Well, that's a sensible thing to do.

Enjoy the rest of your life now you still can. Enjoy all the money you made.