...And Justice For All

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Bandit72

...And Justice For All

#1 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:52 am

How Metallica's "...And Justice for All" might have sounded had they not removed Jason's bass parts. This is still my own personal favourite Metallica album, this makes it even better.

Larry B.

Re: ...And Justice For All

#2 Post by Larry B. » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:52 am

:lol: This is great. Poor Jason, he should've never been hired. He's to Metallica what Ian Holloway would've been to Manchester United.

MYXYLPLYX

#3 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:16 am

It's weird to see all these Metallica threads... I feel like someone's fuckin' with me... :confused: :lol:

Essence_Smith

#4 Post by Essence_Smith » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:18 am

Metallica is like the Peppers for me...they're one of those bands who were did so much in such a great spirit in the first decade of their careers that anything they've done since rolls off my back with no issue...if you just look at them from 1983 to 1991 or so...I mean its inevitable that when the money and attention start rolling in to that extent the flaws will become more apparent...I haven't paid much attention to them since they cut their hair in the 90's but I still greatly appreciate those first 5-6 albums and Justice is also my favorite...I remember hearing Blackened for the first time and wondering why the hell I hadn't listened to them sooner. The album is still one that I play often, but I have never gotten the reason why the bass was mixed the way it was...definitely I'll be checking out that link...

Bandit72

#5 Post by Bandit72 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:12 pm

Yeh, I like your Peppers analogy. People go on about the Black album...for me that's a bit bllauuufgh. And to be honest it was when it came out. I like it, but what came before was so much better. I like Load and Reload, but for me it's not Metallica. I know a lot of hardcore fans that obviously toss it up between the first three. I honestly love all of those but there is something about And Justice which makes it so good. Just one of those things I suppose.

Matz

#6 Post by Matz » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:05 pm

the analogy doesn't work for me, the chili peppers peaked from 1989 to 1996 imo.........I'm not a big metallica fan either, I can listen to their older stuff but only in small amounts at a time.

Larry B.

#7 Post by Larry B. » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:46 pm

In all fairness, the first things I ever heard from Metallica were Enter Sandman and Sad But True, when I was about... 10 or 11 years old, probably? The video clips and the music sort of scared me. I had this feeling that the Devil might possess me if I listened to those satanic songs (no joke.) A couple of years later, and as I started trying to learn how to play drums, the Black album became one of those tapes that you'd take with yourself to school, to the beach, and even to your grandparents' house if you were staying for the night. I learned by heart every song in it (every drum variation, every fucking cymbal hit... everything,) and thus it became one of the foundations of my 'drumming logic' along with the Red Hot Chili Peppers' One Hot Minute and BSSM, Green Day's Dookie, U2's Achtung Baby, Zooropa and Pop, and later Jane's Addiction's 1.0 catalog.

It was only about 7 years ago that I started listening to Metallica's back catalog, and man oh man... how good they were. Ride the Lightning is my favorite.

clickie

#8 Post by clickie » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:37 pm

And justice for all is one of those albums that has riffs that are permanently stuck in my head, sorta like Smoke on the Water, or the theme song from The Addams Family.

Bandit72

#9 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:33 am

I was watching this earlier and have come to the conclusion that 90% of ageing bands need to retire. And what's happened to Rob Halford? Looks like they've just wheeled him out of an old peoples home. Last time I saw Metallica live was at Wembley Stadium in 2007. That's nearly 8 years ago and I think they just about pulled it off then.

This is pretty bad as far as 'Metallica' performances go, stadium gig or no stadium gig.

Pandemonium

#10 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:21 am

Bandit72 wrote:And what's happened to Rob Halford? Looks like they've just wheeled him out of an old peoples home.
Halford's been dealing with some major back issues for a few years now. I don't know if he's recently had surgery or not though. But yeah, he looks pretty frail with the cane. As for Metallica, I thought they were pretty solid in that performance clip.

clickie

#11 Post by clickie » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:12 pm

Rob Halford sings a verse on this one song I hear on the radio all the time. Five finger death punch I think is the band. His part is bretty gud.

Bandit72

#12 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:48 am

Found this. It's ace.

Angry Canine

#13 Post by Angry Canine » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:46 am

Larry B. wrote: It was only about 7 years ago that I started listening to Metallica's back catalog, and man oh man... how good they were. Ride the Lightning is my favorite.
It was cliff Burton, and Dave Mustaine that were the songwriters. After they were gone there wasn't much as far as songwriting, they were singing nursery rhymes and shit. And the way they stifled Newstead, and Hammett was just awful. Hetfield and Ulrich have never been very good people as far as I could tell, and I first began getting into them when Master of Puppets was new, friends at of mine in high school when I was a senior went to an "...and Justice for All" tour show that was less than 2000 venue, and was Hammet's 21st birthday.
After "Justice" all of the Burton and Mustaine songs were used up.