True Detective

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
chaos

Re: True Detective

#21 Post by chaos » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:30 pm

Great show. McConaughey is mesmerizing.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/c ... sance.html
JANUARY 16, 2014
THE MCCONAISSANCE
POSTED BY RACHEL SYME

The McConaughey that we are getting now is casually weird and much darker than expected. He seems unshackled after decades of trying to be a matinée idol, an affable, guileless human glass of sweet tea. McConaughey has always used his body as an instrument, exuding sexuality in his work—in 1996, a review of “A Time to Kill” practically panted from the pages of the Times, with phrases like “Adonis factor” and “a profile that belongs on a coin”—but now his take on his own eroticism has turned sour, and his sensuality has become a weapon rather than a crutch. Consider his role in “Dallas Buyers Club,” for which he lost forty-five pounds and took on the look of a gangly bobblehead (standard Hollywood penance for a career resurrection).
...McConaughey’s recent trajectory—which just keeps going (the excellent, eerie “True Detective” is on HBO now, and soon he will anchor a Christopher Nolan blockbuster)—is a joy to watch. McConaughey seems to be tapping into something essential, remaining himself while stretching, getting older while staying the same age.

nausearockpig

#22 Post by nausearockpig » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:54 pm

Great show. I hope they don't drag it out til it's shit though.

kv

#23 Post by kv » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:32 am

it's only 8 episodes and next season will be very different

Jasper

#24 Post by Jasper » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:18 am

I am psyched for the third episode.
kv wrote:it's only 8 episodes and next season will be very different
Yeah, it's an anthology series. It's going to be weird to have some totally different show next year. Apparently they had the same director for all eight episodes. Will they do the same thing next year, and if so, will it be the same director, or will each season have its own director? :hs: :noclue:

Anyway, if anyone wants to geek out on some interesting stuff related to the show:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_king_in_yellow
The King in Yellow is a book of short stories by Robert W. Chambers, first published by F. Tennyson Neely in 1895. The book is named after a fictional play with the same title which recurs as a motif through some of the stories. The first half of the book features highly esteemed weird stories, and the book is described by S.T. Joshi as a classic in the field of the supernatural. There are 10 stories, the first four of which, "The Repairer of Reputations", "The Mask", "In the Court of the Dragon" and "The Yellow Sign", mention The King in Yellow, a forbidden play which induces despair or madness in those who read it.
The first four stories are loosely connected by three main devices:

•A play in book form entitled The King in Yellow
•A mysterious and malevolent supernatural entity known as The King in Yellow
•An eerie symbol called The Yellow Sign

These stories are macabre in tone, centering, in keeping with the other tales, on characters that are often artists or decadents. The first and fourth stories, "The Repairer of Reputations" and "The Yellow Sign", are set in an imagined future 1920s America, whereas the second and third stories "The Mask" and "In the Court of the Dragon" are set in Paris. These stories are haunted by the theme of "Have you seen The Yellow Sign?"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_Sign
Interpretation of the Yellow Sign
created by Kevin Ross for Call of Cthulhu.

The Yellow Sign is a fictional symbol or glyph, first described in Robert W. Chambers' book of horror short stories The King in Yellow (1895).

The King in Yellow
The King in Yellow never fully describes the shape and purpose of the Yellow Sign. Nonetheless, "The Repairer of Reputations", one of the stories in the collection, suggests that anyone who possesses, even by accident, a copy of the sign is susceptible to some form of insidious mind control, or possession, by the King in Yellow or one of his heirs. The stories also suggest that the original creator of the sign was not human and possibly came from a strange alternate dimension that contains an ominous and ancient city known as Carcosa.

The Cthulhu Mythos
H. P. Lovecraft and many of his imitators were great admirers of Chambers' book and incorporated many of his characters and symbols into their own works. In the latter-day Cthulhu Mythos, developed by August Derleth and other Lovecraft imitators, the Yellow Sign is the sign of Hastur and is used by members of his cult to identify one another. In addition, according to many of these works one of Hastur's avatars is known as the King in Yellow.

Literature
In Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson's Illuminatus! trilogy, the Cult of the Yellow Sign is offered to one detective as a concocted explanation of human history. The cult supposedly worships cthulhoid entities known as lloigor, commits human sacrifice, and has striven throughout history to suppress rationalism. The cult is opposed by the rationalist Illuminati.

Below is something somebody made. Also notice the writing that says Carcosa, which is mentioned in the text above:

creep
Site Admin

#25 Post by creep » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:53 am

i was really impressed with woody harrelson's girlfriends boobs. :boobs:

Jasper

#26 Post by Jasper » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:37 am

creep wrote:i was really impressed with woody harrelson's girlfriends boobs.
We all were, creep. We all were.

Artemis

#27 Post by Artemis » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:34 am

Thanks for that info, Jasper. Very interesting.. :thumb:

The woman with the antlers reminded me of Hannibal. Not sure if you watched that series last year, but there seemed to be a woman with antlers recurred throughout the season. Perhaps the inspiration was taken from the same source as True Detective.

creep
Site Admin

#28 Post by creep » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:05 pm

bullshit two week wait for the next episode. thanks superbowl.

good episode...a little slow at first but it picked up. it looks like shit is about to go down.

farrellgirl99

#29 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:23 pm

deleted my last post cause i answered my own question.

but that last scene was definitely creepy enough. scarier than walter white's tighty whiteys for sure.

Pure Method

#30 Post by Pure Method » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:08 am

last episode was boring

Jasper

#31 Post by Jasper » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:32 pm

It was a little slower than the first two episodes, but I still liked it a lot. It seems like the next episode will be pretty exciting.

The two-week wait is gonna suck. One week is bad enough.

BTW, I noticed something. Coincidence?

Hokahey
Site Admin

#32 Post by Hokahey » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:16 pm

Last episode was incredible. MM's monologues were some of the best writing I've seen on TV. Add in his brilliant acting, the great cinematography and soundtrack and you're on to something special. I was as mesmerized by that episode and the words coming out of his mouth as I've ever been by a TV show.

creep
Site Admin

#33 Post by creep » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:22 pm

so does anyone think mcConaughey had something to do with the recent murder?

Jasper

#34 Post by Jasper » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:18 pm

creep wrote:so does anyone think mcConaughey had something to do with the recent murder?
I think they're using it a red herring. I mean, you could say that about Marty too, because he's obviously the MORE screwed up one. He's not honest about his faults like Rust is about his own, so Marty seems to be always on the verge of exploding. Even 19 years later, he's still rationalizing his philandering as being for the good of the family.

Anyway, they said there were elements of the recent murder that only they (cops) knew about. So unless they jailed the wrong person, the new killer is either a cop (or someone cop-related), or rather than there being one killer, there's a killing cult. We already know there's a cult in some way, due to things like the psycho writings of the dead prostitute from the '95 case. There was also that fucked up picture of the dead prostitute as a girl, surrounded by a freaky looking group of horsemen that looked kind of like a KKK from another dimension (Rust was looking at it when they interviewed the mother of the victim...the one with the bloody fingernails).

Also, I've never seen Kingpin, but apparently there's a scene where Woody Harrelson's character is shouting "You don't mow another man's lawn!", so there was a hidden joke in that confrontation with Rust...

creep
Site Admin

#35 Post by creep » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:29 pm

yeah i figured that they are just making it look like mm might be involved and woody has something to do with it. i guess i should learn their character's names. even though i just read them in your reply i can't remember.

wally

#36 Post by wally » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:25 am

did anyone else notice that in woody's daughters drawings, the man didn't have balls, and in the last one he was wearing a mask?

Hype

#37 Post by Hype » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:27 am

I saw the first two episodes last night (god... a full hour at a time... it's just a series of excellent movies with cliff-hanger endings...)
I found the pilot episode very slow at first, and the two main characters' faux accents a bit annoying, but as it progressed it picked up steam and the accents stopped sounding put on. The show so far seems to me to be what Dexter could have been if it didn't rely on repetition and played out tropes.
blackcoffee wrote:
Xizen47 wrote:
ellis wrote:I liked the show but it was difficult to keep up with the change in years. It's a bit all over the place and does not flow chronologically. (obviously that's the intent)
Woody Harrelson with hair= Past

Woody Harrelson without hair=Present
True Detective for Dummies
Wedding ring + Cheating = Past
No Wedding ring = Future.

This show is good at details.

blackcoffee

#38 Post by blackcoffee » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:03 am

creep wrote:i was really impressed with woody harrelson's girlfriends boobs. :boobs:

but what do they mean symbolically?

Hype

#39 Post by Hype » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:17 am

They mean he's a complex character with a lot of nuances to his personality.

creep
Site Admin

#40 Post by creep » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:43 pm

you can't say tonight's episode was boring. :noclue:

perkana

#41 Post by perkana » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:56 am

It wasn't at all. I wanna have my babies with Mathew McConaughey :love: (sorry creep)

Artemis

#42 Post by Artemis » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:38 am

Last night's episode was the best thus far, imho. That last scene was so intense, I was on the edge of my sofa. I read that last scene was a single shot! The acting and directing continues to impress - BRAVO!

Jasper

#43 Post by Jasper » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:44 pm

Artemis wrote:I read that last scene was a single shot!
Yeah, the entire drug raid right until they get into Marty's car at the very end was a single shot by a single cameraman. It's so smooth it's hard to believe. Really ratcheted up the tension.

Feb 9 2014 10:02 PM EST
'True Detective': How Did They Pull Off That Final Shot?
Director Cary Fukunaga walks us through the epic six-minute take.

By Kevin P. Sullivan (@KPSull)

Four episodes into its run on HBO, "True Detective" is earning the kind of high praise usually saved for drama series with two or three seasons under their belts, thanks to its stunning visuals, pitch-black worldview and career-best performances from Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey. Cary Fukunaga helmed each installment of the eight-episode run, and his careful direction has been a key factor in "True Detective's" success, even if it's not as apparent as Harrelson's and McConaughey's acting.

But if you watched the fourth episode, "Who Goes There," tonight on HBO, by the end, it's likely you are very aware of just how good Cary Fukunaga is.

MILD SPOILERS FOR EPISODE 4 AHEAD

Before reaching the halfway point of the series, Fukunaga decided to end the episode with a six-minute oner, or long take, that follows Cohle into a heist inside a housing project, through a number of shootouts, outside to escape from swarming police, through another house, over a fence and finally into Hart's car. It's the kind of incredible shot that's worth watching again and again to catch every detail in it and further blurs the line between television and film.

To find out how he pulled off the complex sequence, I reached out to Fukunaga to see if he would walk me through the planning and execution of the best "True Detective" scene yet.

Off the bat, it's important to know that the oner is nothing new to Fukunaga. Having used the technique in both of his feature films, "Sin Nombre" and "Jane Eyre," Fukunaga signed onto "True Detective" knowing that he wanted to include a long take at some point, because he considers it a tenser kind of directing. "The best ones, you don't even realize that they're oners," Fukunaga said. "They're the most first-person experience you can get in a film."

Reading Nic Pizzolatto's script for "Who Goes There," Fukunaga knew almost immediately that the heist was the scene to make his oner. All he had to do was convince the entire crew that it wasn't impossible to pull off.

To cover as much ground as he wanted to in the sequence, Fukunaga needed to shoot in an actual housing project, and that was the first complication in planning the oner. It took weeks to even get permission to film on-location, but once he received it, Fukunaga went straight into mapping the shot and finding "the most interesting path, but also the most logical path" for Cohle to escape with Ginger. That interesting and logical path eventually takes Cohle and Ginger over a chain-link fence, a maneuver that proved to be the most complicated of the intricate sequence.

Watching just the fences portion of the oner back, the camera floats over the high barrier in a movement that almost looks effortless. Getting the shot, however, was anything but. Because the location was an actual housing project, the "True Detective" crew wasn't allowed to take down any portion of the fence, so they had to improvise. "At one point, we were going to build a ramp, and the operator was going to walk up it," Fukunaga said. "But that wasn't very safe." The solution ended up involving placing the Steadicam operator on an elevated jib, or a weighted crane, which carried him over the fence and back down to earth.

Once the camera movements were figured out, the production carefully choreographed everything that had to happen in front of the lens with the help of a stunt team led by Mark Norby, who personally worked with McConaughey to develop a fighting style for Cohle. The crew even built a replica of the stash house for the stunt team to practice in before the big shoot.

"We had ADs [assistant directors] all over the neighborhood because we had to release extras, crowd running background, police cars, stunt drivers. There were actual gun shots and stones being thrown through windows. There were a lot of things to put together," Fukunaga said. "Even the action, the stunt sequences were complicated. We're working on a television schedule. It isn't like a film where you can spend a lot of time working the stunts out with the actors. We only had a day and a half to get Matthew and everyone else on the same page."
All told, the sequence clocks in at around six minutes. Fukunaga and the crew ran through the whole thing seven times while the cameras were rolling. The director built in possible edit points if two takes had to be combined to make the perfect version of the shot, but anyone who is wondering should know that the sequence everyone saw in the episode is, in fact, a true single take and one of the great achievements of filmmaking for television.
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/172200 ... take.jhtml

creep
Site Admin

#44 Post by creep » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:50 pm

perkana wrote:It wasn't at all. I wanna have my babies with Mathew McConaughey :love: (sorry creep)
:nyrexall:

don't forget about some of his horrible roles. you might change your mind.

here is an interesting clip. i didn't know woody was in surfer dude too. they have both come a long way.

perkana

#45 Post by perkana » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:14 am

But we will always have this

P.S. I couldn't see the surfer clip :nyrexall: