True Detective

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
creep
Site Admin

Re: True Detective

#51 Post by creep » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:24 pm

Jasper wrote: Too bad there's no more Rust & Marty after this. :wavesad:
i hope they rethink that with the success of the series...that is if one of them doesn't end up in jail. :noclue:

Xizen47

#52 Post by Xizen47 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:02 pm

creep wrote:i hope they rethink that with the success of the series...
No way, for one I'm sick of good shows being cancelled prematurely.

I believe keeping it as an anthology series will bring in the big names (Harrelsons and McConaugheys) of the acting world. I don't think they would have signed on in the first place if not for the fact it was only going to be 8 episodes.

clickie

#53 Post by clickie » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:40 pm

Exactly, Woody and Matt finished their obligation towards the show, if the writing stays good i'm not too concerned who they cast.

Jasper

#54 Post by Jasper » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:49 pm

Xizen47 wrote:
creep wrote:i hope they rethink that with the success of the series...
No way, for one I'm sick of good shows being cancelled prematurely.

I believe keeping it as an anthology series will bring in the big names (Harrelsons and McConaugheys) of the acting world. I don't think they would have signed on in the first place if not for the fact it was only going to be 8 episodes.
You've got a point there. This format does ensure that a story will not be interrupted by cancellation. Many fine shows have been cancelled too soon, the most infamous among them being Twin Peaks. For their part, HBO have a very bad record as far as this goes, prematurely canceling Rome, Carnivale, and Deadwood.

On the other hand, it's a shame if we can't enjoy a long story arc. Boardwalk Empire wouldn't be so great if it were stuffed into one season, let alone one 8-episode season, which is borderline mini-series territory. But True Detective really is working very well. It seems like an eight-hour film in eight parts (apparently with three acts). That keeps everything so tight. The acting and directing and writing and cinematography. Plus it allows for one writer and one director, which is pretty much unheard of. If it were longer they'd need more writers and directors. The only question is if Nic Pizzolatto can keep coming up with stories this good, and if the acting and directing (etc.) can be this riveting. I don't even know if this director, Cary Fukunaga, will direct another season, and that's a scary thought.

Going back to the three-act thing, apparently episodes 1-3 were act one, episodes 4-6 will be act two, and episodes 7 & 8 will be act three. The move into act two in the last episode was pretty unmistakable. I just hope it doesn't go the direction of The Place Beyond the Pines, where each of the three acts was weaker than the preceding act.

creep
Site Admin

#55 Post by creep » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:10 pm

tonight's episode was my favorite episode so far

Jasper

#56 Post by Jasper » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:55 pm

It was a great episode. Things are really going fast now.

Do you think Hart (Woody) was faking it when he acted like the detectives might have some kind of point about Rust being a potential suspect? I didn't really believe him. I kind of picture him saying "Rust, guess what these assholes think about you...", but I guess it could be either way.

Jasper

#57 Post by Jasper » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:05 am

Yo, check it out, it's the complete unabridged revival tent sermon with Shae Whigham:

You already could see it in the show, but this even more clearly shows the similarities between the preacher's words and some of Rust's philosophies. Like how Rust says that your life is like you being alone in a locked room and having a dream about being a person, while the preacher says that the physical matter we perceive isn't real, that the world is a veil, and that the respective faces we wear are not our own.

Another thing is where Rust is talking about time being a circle, and our entire histories being like a complete unchanging arrangement on a dot, rather than the linear progression or 2D thing we perceive. That's mirrored in the circular twig portal he discovers in 2002 on the same tree where they originally found Dora Lange.

crater

#58 Post by crater » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:10 am

Great song at the end of the episode

Hype

#59 Post by Hype » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:36 am

I thought episode 5 was excellent, but I think it has a similar minor issue that is also a problem in House of Cards: they both use a kind of fourth-wall breaking (though at least in True Detective it's far subtler) to give the audience direct access to more information than any of the characters have. And while it does a lot to keep the plot from being unwieldy, I think it's done a bit too much, to the point where it takes away too much of the mystery, at least within each episode. Someone (I can't remember who) suggested that in House of Cards, it's lazy writing... But the show is still excellently done for a variety of other reasons.

Matov

#60 Post by Matov » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:39 am

I'm really liking this show so far, and the fact that it will only be 8 episodes for this story arc has me even more excited.

Also, Cohle's "Shut up Nietzche" from last episode made me both chuckle and think of Hype/AS :wiggle:

nausearockpig

#61 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:14 pm

CaseyContrarian

#62 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:06 pm

Jasper

#63 Post by Jasper » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:19 pm

So, Charlie Lange tells Marty and Rust that Reggie Ledoux spoke of being involved with rich old men who did Satanic worship and killing in the woods and so on. He mentions that this involved "The Yellow King" and Carcosa.

Marty and Rust bust/kill Ledoux and his fat cousin (?), and completely forget about the rest of it for seven years. Seven years of women and children being abducted, raped, killed, etc.

It's not until, by dumb luck, Rust is reminded of the Yellow King and the claim of powerful people being involved in a larger cult.

Nice going, detectives. :no:

creep
Site Admin

#64 Post by creep » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:05 pm

another great episode. the women hart gets is very impressive....but what a dick move by his wife. only two episodes left. can't wait.

perkana

#65 Post by perkana » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:07 am

Dick move? Marty is fucking prick! I didn't like her using Rust though. Loved the ending.
http://www.vanityfair.com/vf-hollywood/ ... nted-house

Jasper

#66 Post by Jasper » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:00 pm

It was absolutely a dick move by Maggie. She destroyed Rust and Marty's partnership and played a big role in Rust leaving the force.

I had sympathy for her before, and I'd possibly have some sympathy with her for cheating on Marty for revenge, but that shit was unacceptable.

Pure Method

#67 Post by Pure Method » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:12 pm

I hear what everyone is saying, but I don't have all that much sympathy with Marty. He's a scumbag.

perkana

#68 Post by perkana » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:19 pm

Jasper wrote:It was absolutely a dick move by Maggie. She destroyed Rust and Marty's partnership and played a big role in Rust leaving the force.

I had sympathy for her before, and I'd possibly have some sympathy with her for cheating on Marty for revenge, but that shit was unacceptable.
I think that was the only way it would hurt him, yeah, didn't like it had to be Rust. But hey, let's see how things turn out. And I agree PM, I don't like him as a person, talking about double standards.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#69 Post by Hokahey » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:03 pm

Jasper wrote:So, Charlie Lange tells Marty and Rust that Reggie Ledoux spoke of being involved with rich old men who did Satanic worship and killing in the woods and so on. He mentions that this involved "The Yellow King" and Carcosa.

Marty and Rust bust/kill Ledoux and his fat cousin (?), and completely forget about the rest of it for seven years. Seven years of women and children being abducted, raped, killed, etc.

It's not until, by dumb luck, Rust is reminded of the Yellow King and the claim of powerful people being involved in a larger cult.

Nice going, detectives. :no:

They though Ledoux was the Yellow King.

Rust isn't reminded, he's informed they didn't get their man.

Jasper

#70 Post by Jasper » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:36 pm

hokahey wrote:They though Ledoux was the Yellow King.

Rust isn't reminded, he's informed they didn't get their man.
Well, they never say any such thing. It's never mentioned. They talk about getting their man, but never in terms of any of the Yellow King gibberish. Charlie Lange says that Reggie Ledoux told him about The Yellow King, not that Reggie was the Yellow King. Charlie Lange told them about all of these rich, powerful people who gather in the woods with old stones and such, devil worshiping and sacrificing women and children. Hart & Cohle completely disregard all of that after finding Ledoux. That's my only point. You would think someone with the obsessive nature and intellectual curiosity possessed by Cohle would have followed up on some of that, especially since he knows the governor and Reverend Tuttle were taking over the investigation with their task force.

I don't think there is a human Yellow King, btw. I think it's more of a god they worship or something along those lines. The real question is whether the multi-author literary tradition dealing with Carcosa and the Yellow Sign and The King In Yellow (which goes back as far as the 1800s) exists in the True Detective universe. If it does, we might expect that Cohle could have turned something up in 1995, or certainly by 2002, when he begins investigating again, this time with access to the internet.
:noclue: :blah:

Jasper

#71 Post by Jasper » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:38 am

I got what seems to be an answer about the literary stuff existing in the TD universe:
INTERVIEWER: The cult possibly responsible for the murders worships a figure known as “The Yellow King” and refers to a place called “Carcosa.” These words come from Chambers’ book. Will you make plain what they mean to the world of True Detective?

NIC PIZZOLATTO: Yeah, I think so. To be clear, in our show, nobody is going to reference a book by Robert Chambers called The King In Yellow. Then we’d just have an episode where Hart and Cohle are just reading The King In Yellow. … I just did a DVD commentary that plainly explains [the mythological backstory], but a lot of things are left in fragments for the viewer to piece together about how we arrived at where we arrive. You know, you can Google “Satanism” “preschool” and “Louisiana” and you’ll be surprised at what you get. But instead of having our Satan worshippers worship Satan, they worship The Yellow King. [Note: When we tried doing as Pizzoletto suggests, we came up with this disturbing story of real-life Satanic Ritual Abuse in Lousiana: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/25/natio ... d=all&_r=0]
http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/02/27/true- ... -season-1/

creep
Site Admin

#72 Post by creep » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:44 pm

well...one more left. they have a lot to resolve in an hour. with all of the death talk i think one of them is going to die. i will be sad when it's all over.

Jasper

#73 Post by Jasper » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:03 am

Yeah, I don't know how it's not going to seem rushed. Seems like it keeps going faster and faster. 1995 was such a slow burn.

Sucks there's only one left.

Jasper

#74 Post by Jasper » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:19 am

I really want to hear theories and predictions before we reach the final episode. This is our last chance for wild speculation.

Jasper

#75 Post by Jasper » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:21 am

Here's a starter: