True Detective

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
farrellgirl99

Re: True Detective

#101 Post by farrellgirl99 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:38 pm

Hmm yeah I saw that but then I saw this
From what Pizzolatto has said about his second tale, the only elements sticking around from the story of Rust and Hart are strangeness and "bad men." The series creator told HitFix that the major lesson he learned from season one was not to "play the next one straight," and he summed up his next story by saying it's about "hard women, bad men and the secret occult history of the United States transportation system." Sounds pretty different, huh?
I took hard women as a clue that females may be in the lead but we shall see. I would definitely be interested in that, but if it's two men again I'll end up watching it anyway.

Jasper

#102 Post by Jasper » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:07 pm

Yeah, I saw that as well, but I don't know what it means. If I had to guess I'd guess there will be at least one female lead (X-Files style). Bad men could mean a lot of things. Rust told Marty they were both bad men who kept the other bad men from the door. You could also have a detective who's a villain. Anything's possible. Frankly I think using two female leads has the potential to seem somewhat forced, and I'm largely opposed to social justice and critical theory forcing itself on art, but I also don't doubt that Pizzolatto could make a black overweight transgender paraplegic HIV positive narcoleptic character into an interesting detective. I'm not opposed to anything like that, I only want it to come from a place of pure, honest artistic inspiration. If it feels forced, or feels like pandering to the fascistic dogma of political correctness, then it fails hard.

Jasper

#103 Post by Jasper » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:25 am

Awwwww, yeah. Today we have just a little bit more of Rust being an asshole than we did yesterday. (deleted scene)

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/vide ... d-20140313

creep
Site Admin

#104 Post by creep » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:32 pm

Jasper wrote:Awwwww, yeah. Today we have just a little bit more of Rust being an asshole than we did yesterday. (deleted scene)

UPDATE: This clip has been removed per HBO's request. :sad:

Jasper

#105 Post by Jasper » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:53 am

creep wrote:
Jasper wrote:Awwwww, yeah. Today we have just a little bit more of Rust being an asshole than we did yesterday. (deleted scene)

UPDATE: This clip has been removed per HBO's request. :sad:
Sorry. :noclue:

It'll be back...someday. There's probably a good amount of deleted stuff.

Jasper

#106 Post by Jasper » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:12 am

Here ya go. Another chance to see Rust's relationship imploding to a backdrop of dish washing:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/vide ... ne-3236951

Also, I read a rumor about Brad Pitt being interested in season 2, but I don't know if it's bullshit or not. Assuming the next season is in CA, it might be attractive to actors who already live there (and perhaps have giant families). Even though it's just a rumor, I wonder who would make a good female co-star to pair with Pitt. Whoever the stars are, they're going to be hard-pressed to reach that Harrelson/McConaughey level of chemistry.

creep
Site Admin

#107 Post by creep » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:26 am

Jasper wrote:Here ya go. Another chance to see Rust's relationship imploding to a backdrop of dish washing:

Also, I read a rumor about Brad Pitt being interested in season 2, but I don't know if it's bullshit or not. Assuming the next season is in CA, it might be attractive to actors who already live there (and perhaps have giant families). Even though it's just a rumor, I wonder who would make a good female co-star to pair with Pitt. Whoever the stars are, they're going to be hard-pressed to reach that Harrelson/McConaughey level of chemistry.
shit...i'm on his side. the guy doesn't want kids. should he have one just because she wants to? he is just being honest. :noclue:

Artemis

#108 Post by Artemis » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:02 pm

Jasper wrote: Also, I read a rumor about Brad Pitt being interested in season 2, but I don't know if it's bullshit or not. Assuming the next season is in CA, it might be attractive to actors who already live there (and perhaps have giant families). Even though it's just a rumor, I wonder who would make a good female co-star to pair with Pitt.
Julie Delpy?

Brie Larson?

Eva Green?

Juliette Lewis?

That's all I can think of at the moment

perkana

#109 Post by perkana » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:06 pm

Pitt and Lewis together again? it would be funny, since they were in Kalifornia together. Lewis and Harrelson would have been good too.

Jasper

#110 Post by Jasper » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:09 am

creep wrote:
Jasper wrote:Here ya go. Another chance to see Rust's relationship imploding to a backdrop of dish washing:

shit...i'm on his side. the guy doesn't want kids. should he have one just because she wants to? he is just being honest. :noclue:
Yeah, I hear you. He's just a bit cold is all. It's not crazy for her to try to persuade him, because people often soften their positions in relationships. It does get out of hand when she changes tactics and begins insulting him.

As far as pairing Pitt with someone, Juliane Moore could be great. Maybe Jodie Foster (though people might constantly compare her role to Clarice from Silence of the Lambs).

creep
Site Admin

#111 Post by creep » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:12 am

anybody but juliet lewis. not a fan at all.

charlize theron would be good with pitt but they might be too good looking. :noclue:

perkana

#112 Post by perkana » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:27 pm

Series creator Nic Pizzolatto himself has hinted before that season 2 will be much more female-focused, and has promised “hard women, bad men and the secret occult history of the United States transportation system.” Every actress in Hollywood is probably chomping at the bit to take on Pizzolatto’s rich and highly addictive world, but few have made their desires quite as transparent as House of Cards alum Kate Mara. It all started with a cheeky tweet from Mara’s friend and fellow actress Ellen Page.
http://www.vanityfair.com/vf-hollywood/ ... -kate-mara
She's way too young, but from what I've seen of her acting, I can't complain.
I would watch Tiny Detectives...

Jasper

#113 Post by Jasper » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:22 pm

Please, no. I dislike Kata Mara. Ellen Page is adorable, but as an actress she's just kind of there. Somebody needs to bring some gravity and believability. Two 20-something cutesy detectives who look like sorority girls would be ridiculous, imo.

perkana

#114 Post by perkana » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:40 pm

You know it was a joke, right? Re: Tiny Detectives. You know who I would like? Catherine Keener.

Jasper

#115 Post by Jasper » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:22 am

perkana wrote:You know it was a joke, right? Re: Tiny Detectives. You know who I would like? Catherine Keener.
Of course I know it's a joke, but you gave your opinion of Kate Mara, so I gave my opinion of the whole hypothetical situation.

If we were going to have a Mara, it would have to be Rooney, who is a goddess in human form (or possibly some kind of alien).

perkana

#116 Post by perkana » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:29 pm

Rooney is too overrrated. Hated her in the remake of Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. But I agree Ellen Page would be adorable. I like Sarah Polley. She would be ok.
P.S. What do you mean they would look like sorority girls? Re: Mara and Page. I think Page can play very dark characters too, like in an American Crime (which she costarred with Keener, they would make a great detective team, now that I think about it).

Jasper

#117 Post by Jasper » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:37 pm

perkana wrote:Rooney is too overrrated. Hated her in the remake of Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. But I agree Ellen Page would be adorable. I like Sarah Polley. She would be ok.
P.S. What do you mean they would look like sorority girls? Re: Mara and Page. I think Page can play very dark characters too, like in an American Crime (which she costarred with Keener, they would make a great detective team, now that I think about it).
To be clear, I think Ellen Page is cute, but I think she would suck as a True Detective. I don't think much of her as an actor. I also don't want a Rooney, but if I had to go with one, it would be Mara, who I think is beautiful and a good actor.

By sorority girls I mean pretty/cute/young and without gravitas. I want more mature actors. Two female detectives is statistically far more unlikely, so you perhaps lose minor realism points there, but it's not too bad. Two PRETTY female detectives is getting really silly, so that's major points off. Two pretty female detectives who are in their 20s is completely absurd, so the immersion is completely ruined by that point.

perkana

#118 Post by perkana » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:42 pm

I don't think of them as pretty...they are smart and bitching, what the hell are you talking about? And even if they were "pretty", why would no one take them seriously if they are actually good detectives. I just don't understand you.
Anyway, beside Julianne Moore, who else do you thing would be great?
P.S. I just don't see it in Jodie Foster to be honest, her acting has become over the top for me over the years.

Jasper

#119 Post by Jasper » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:38 pm

perkana wrote:I don't think of them as pretty...they are smart and bitching, what the hell are you talking about?
The world sees them as pretty. They are both very popular (for their looks) with males and women who like women.
perkana wrote:And even if they were "pretty", why would no one take them seriously if they are actually good detectives. I just don't understand you.
But I already explained. :noclue: You could make the same argument about two talking rabbits as detectives. :lol: If you want to cast a quirky detective comedy for ABC, then such absurdly unrealistic casting might be fine.

Anyway, Julianne Moore and Michael Shannon is as far as I got in my hypothetical casting.

creep
Site Admin

#120 Post by creep » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:43 pm

Jasper wrote:
perkana wrote:I don't think of them as pretty...they are smart and bitching, what the hell are you talking about?
The world sees them as pretty. They are both very popular (for their looks) with males and women who like women.
perkana wrote:And even if they were "pretty", why would no one take them seriously if they are actually good detectives. I just don't understand you.
But I already explained. :noclue: You could make the same argument about two talking rabbits as detectives. :lol: If you want to cast a quirky detective comedy for ABC, then such absurdly unrealistic casting might be fine.

Anyway, Julianne Moore and Michael Shannon is as far as I got in my hypothetical casting.
i agree...young hot detectives would lose them credibility. it would be like veronica mars or scooby do. maybe older and hot would work. someone like diane lane or maria bello.

chaos

#121 Post by chaos » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:08 pm

Generally speaking, it depends on the skill of the actor. Makeup artists can age and/or *deprettify attractive actors when necessary, so I do not think someone should be ruled out simply because of his/her looks (i.e Charlize Theron in Monster). Whether the actor can pull off the role is another story.

(Yes, I made up that word. :lol: )

perkana

#122 Post by perkana » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:03 pm

creep wrote:
Jasper wrote:

i agree...young hot detectives would lose them credibility. it would be like veronica mars or scooby do. maybe older and hot would work. someone like diane lane or maria bello.
I liked Remington Steele and I thought Pierce Brosnan was hot. I guess I don't care how someone looks like or how old they are as long as they convince me they're good.

perkana

#123 Post by perkana » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:11 am

I thought of another actor...now that he's dead in Homeland, I would love to see Damian Lewis. Lewis and Moore, the ginger detectives :cool:

nausearockpig

#124 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:46 pm

perkana wrote:I thought of another actor...now that he's dead in Homeland, I would love to see Damian Lewis. Lewis and Moore, the ginger detectives :cool:
ah FUCK!!!! he's dead in Homeland? I'd been storing those to binge them at some point..... :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

creep
Site Admin

#125 Post by creep » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:47 pm

nausearockpig wrote:
perkana wrote:I thought of another actor...now that he's dead in Homeland, I would love to see Damian Lewis. Lewis and Moore, the ginger detectives :cool:
ah FUCK!!!! he's dead in Homeland? I'd been storing those to binge them at some point..... :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:
perkana the spoiler :wiggle: