U2

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Pandemonium

U2

#1 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:33 pm

So it appears U2 and their career-long manager Paul McGuiness are parting ways. Apparently McGuiness is semi-retiring as Live Nation is buying out Principle Management (for $30 million) and Madonna's manager Guy Oseary will be managing the band. McGuiness will have the title of "chairman" but will not be involved with the day to day duties of managing U2. Word is he will spend his retirement swimming in a Olympic size pool filled with cash.

U2 will supposedly release a new album (hopefully better than the last one) in April and tour arenas in North America before playing Europe, likely arenas and outdoor stadiums.

SR

Re: U2

#2 Post by SR » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:40 pm

Been revisiting the first 3 recently. Add Rattle N Hum to those and it represents all I've ever listened to from them. I love those albums

Matz

#3 Post by Matz » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:23 am

new single from them that sucks

creep
Site Admin

#4 Post by creep » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:45 am

yeah...not a fan of that song. sounds like a coldplay song.

Larry B.

#5 Post by Larry B. » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:55 am

:(

Yup, pretty shitty song. No idea how they're going to put their act back together. Their last good song I can think of was from 2004.

Matz

#6 Post by Matz » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:00 am

I don't think you have to go that far back, I like Magnificent a lot

Larry B.

#7 Post by Larry B. » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:45 am

Yeah, it was one of my favorites when the album went out... but I don't think it stands the test of time. Plus, that song played live is quite boring.

I never understood why they ended most of their shows of that tour with Moment of Surrender. Talk about a buzz killer.

Pandemonium

#8 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:51 pm

I agree the new tune is pretty lame. Hopefully, it doesn't confirm they're out of gas which frankly all signs point towards being the case.

I think Atomic Bomb had a number of really strong tracks but the bad tracks were really bad (Yahwey, Man and Women, etc). I think "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own" stands up with their best tunes. The last album, No Line On The Horizon I'd rank as their worst album. The title track and Moment Of Surrender are the only two songs worth anything off it and I agree with Larry it was a mistake to play MOS as a show closer.

Pandemonium

#9 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:18 pm

The new single. Sounds like a 2nd rate rehash of "City Of Blinding Lights." I guess this will be a bathroom break song for Larry as the cheesy drum machine loops does most of the work:

creep
Site Admin

#10 Post by creep » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:21 pm

weird. the drums do ruin the song. not sure why they did that.

Pandemonium

#11 Post by Pandemonium » Sat May 09, 2015 8:11 pm

I laughed....

Tyler Durden

#12 Post by Tyler Durden » Sun May 10, 2015 12:35 pm

Pandemonium wrote:I laughed....

I LMAO at this.

And this is why I've never understood the huge hate-on that some people have for Bono. I don't think he's a megalomaniac at all...he actually has always seemed pretty down to Earth (for a guy fronting the biggest band in the world) and with a great self deprecating sense of humour. :noclue:

Larry B.

#13 Post by Larry B. » Sun May 10, 2015 4:50 pm

That was funny. I'm listening to some U2 right now, the '98 show in Chile. They were incredible.

Pandemonium

#14 Post by Pandemonium » Sun May 10, 2015 7:30 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:And this is why I've never understood the huge hate-on that some people have for Bono. I don't think he's a megalomaniac at all...he actually has always seemed pretty down to Earth (for a guy fronting the biggest band in the world) and with a great self deprecating sense of humour. :noclue:
I get some of it. From a simplistic POV, some people just resent being told by a bazillionaire rock star to donate or help some (humanitarian) cause in another country thinking "why can't Bono just feed all the starving Africans with his own millions?" It's clearly wrong, but at the 2005 Vertigo shows with a nearly 10 minute lecture by Bono about the One Campaign and especially the first leg of the 360 tour during the encore song "Walk On" when they had hundreds of fans on stage circling the pit wearing paper masks of Aung San Suu Kyi on their faces to protest her continued (at the time) house arrest in Burma was embarrassingly heavy handed and cringe-inducing.

But yeah, he seems like a pretty decent person, maybe a bit of a goof, but in an industry of assholes and criminals, he's one of the good guys.

Matz

#15 Post by Matz » Mon May 11, 2015 11:08 am

he seem like a fraud to me, but then again I'm no tax or Africa expert who knows

http://www.finfacts.ie/irishfinancenews ... 6589.shtml

Pandemonium

#16 Post by Pandemonium » Mon May 11, 2015 12:28 pm

Matz wrote:he seem like a fraud to me, but then again I'm no tax or Africa expert who knows

http://www.finfacts.ie/irishfinancenews ... 6589.shtml
Yeah, I forgot to mention the whole Ireland tax (avoidance) issue in relation to the band. I remember about 10 - 15 years ago U2 was going to build some sort of ritzy hotel with a roof top home and recording studio (housed in a smiley face egg, lol) for U2 that looked like Avengers Tower right in downtown Dublin to spearhead redevelopment and "create jobs," that boondogle never made it past the planning stages.

Pandemonium

#17 Post by Pandemonium » Wed May 13, 2015 6:08 pm

These guys seem to be cursed. Drummer Larry Mullin Jr's dad just died forcing Mullin to fly back to Ireland for the funeral with opening night of the tour tomorrow. The band said they will play the show but are mum on whether a substitute drummer (likely their drum tech) will fill in or not. What's clear is they did a long final rehearsal yesterday without Larry.

Larry B.

#18 Post by Larry B. » Thu May 14, 2015 4:32 am

That sucks, poor Larry. But it's normal, when you're ~60 people around you will start dying.

Pandemonium

#19 Post by Pandemonium » Fri May 15, 2015 10:55 am

They played their first show last night. Thanks to a guy using the Periscope app w/his cell phone, hundreds of us were able to watch the entire show in very good audio quality and so-so video quality. My opinion, the show is much better than I was expecting but there appears to be major kinks mostly in the setlist arrangements and a few song choices that will undoubtably be addressed in the next few shows. The setlist was kind of unique more for the regular multi-tour warhorse tunes left out (no "One," "Walk On," "Elevation," "New Years day," etc) and the number of songs played off the newest album The band, especially Bono seemed in good form, Edge's playing was a bit tentative at times and there was the usual number of flubs typical for a beginning of tour U2 production. The new production features the stage running the length of the arena floor with a huge pair of translucent video screens that the band play under on inside depending on whether it's suspended from the ceiling or lower to the stage like a curtain. This allows the band to play "inside" various video effects to often cool effect.

The running joke was Bono forgetting or skipping lyrics to just about every song in the set, including botching snippets of other band's songs. And, as I predicted when I saw the stage layout, I said they better have rails or someone's gonna take a fall and sure enough.....

The setlist (show started at 8:20pm, ran about 2:15 long, no opening act):

The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone)
Out Of Control
Vertigo
I Will Follow
Iris (Hold Me Close)
Cedarwood Road
Song For Someone
Sunday Bloody Sunday (acoustic full band)
Raised By Wolves
Until The End Of The World

(15 minute Intermission to set up 2nd stage)

Invisible
Even Better Than The Real Thing
Mysterious Ways / Burning Down The House (snippet) / Young Americans (snippet)
Desire (full band, similar to 1989 arrangement)
Sweetest Thing (acoustic, Bono on piano on last verse)
Every Breaking Wave
Bullet The Blue Sky
The Hands That Built America (snippet)
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
The Troubles
With Or Without You

(Encore)
City Of Blinding Lights
Beautiful Day
Where The Streets Have No Name
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

Pandemonium

#20 Post by Pandemonium » Fri May 15, 2015 11:12 am

Lucky Edge didn't break a flipper on that fall:

Larry B.

#21 Post by Larry B. » Fri May 15, 2015 11:30 am

Very nice news.

I can't say I'm too excited about that setlist, to be honest. Has there been any show since Achtung Baby where they didn't play Until the End of the World?

The selection of songs is really weird: it's like they're either big hits or songs that nobody really knows or wants to hear. "The Troubles"? What's that? Is that from the new album?

Pandemonium

#22 Post by Pandemonium » Fri May 15, 2015 12:06 pm

Larry B. wrote:Very nice news.

I can't say I'm too excited about that setlist, to be honest. Has there been any show since Achtung Baby where they didn't play Until the End of the World?

The selection of songs is really weird: it's like they're either big hits or songs that nobody really knows or wants to hear. "The Troubles"? What's that? Is that from the new album?
Yeah, that's a new album song and one I think will likely be the first to go along with "Song For Someone." Will be interesting to hear what changes are made for tonight's show. Supposedly, the tour was booked on the premise that the band would play two very different sets on alternating nights but word is that idea was thrown out the window during rehearsals resulting in likely just a few different songs between odd/even nights.

Pandemonium

#23 Post by Pandemonium » Tue May 19, 2015 10:20 am

To make up for missing the KROQ "Acoustic Christmas" show last December thanks to Bono's bike accident, U2 is going to play a surprise show at The Roxy club in Hollywood on 5/28 in the middle of their LA Forum 5 show stand. Naturally, you have to listen to KROQ and jump through their contest hoops to try and get tickets to get in this gig.

Tyler Durden

#24 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue May 19, 2015 5:20 pm

I've been meaning to mention this since I first heard it back in the fall...the live, stripped down version of "Every Breaking Wave" is awful...really cheesy. I wish they would play the album (rock) version live.

Pandemonium

#25 Post by Pandemonium » Tue May 19, 2015 7:36 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:I've been meaning to mention this since I first heard it back in the fall...the live, stripped down version of "Every Breaking Wave" is awful...really cheesy. I wish they would play the album (rock) version live.
That's funny, I feel the opposite. In fact, I prefer the stripped down versions of all the songs vs the album versions, especially of California and Raised By Wolves.

BTW, speaking of live, during the 2nd night in Vancouver last week, this guy named "Amp" who I guess is a long time fan and has managed to get onstage at some point on a previous tour was pulled onstage by Bono for Mysterious ways. It's pretty funny: