U2

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Tyler Durden

Re: U2

#61 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:01 am

A confession...

Like MANY people, I was never a fan of the song "Vertigo". Especially during the first year or two that Atomic Bomb was out and the song was inescapable. However, I don't know what it is...but like a light switch being turned on, suddenly 11 years later I am loving this song. I genuinely think it rips. I think I had to judge it outside of the "new U2 album" hype machine and the iPod marketing, etc.

Okay, go ahead...flog me... :lol:

P.S. Elevation is still horrible.

Pandemonium

#62 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:17 am

So Patti Smith and Eagles Of Death Metal w/Josh will guest with U2 for the 12/6/15 rescheduled show in Paris. Unclear if EODM are opening or more likely, guesting w/Smith for an encore song, probably Smith's "People Have The Power." The 12/7 final show of the tour will be broadcast live on HBO.

Tyler Durden

#63 Post by Tyler Durden » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:41 am

Pandemonium wrote:So Patti Smith and Eagles Of Death Metal w/Josh will guest with U2 for the 12/6/15 rescheduled show in Paris. Unclear if EODM are opening or more likely, guesting w/Smith for an encore song, probably Smith's "People Have The Power." The 12/7 final show of the tour will be broadcast live on HBO.
I knew about Patti appearing. As for EODM, it doesn't come as a surprise. Good on Bono and the guys...I seriously don't get the cynical people who shit on U2 as human beings. They're straight up, damn good people.

Tyler Durden

#64 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:49 pm

Bandit72

#65 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:03 am

Sky describe them as 'The Bataclan Band' which I thought was a bit off and odd.
Watch Bataclan Band Join U2 On Stage

http://news.sky.com/story/1601675/watch ... 2-on-stage

Larry B.

#66 Post by Larry B. » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:50 am

u2gigs.com wrote:Bono remarked that "they were robbed of their stage three weeks ago, so we would like to offer them ours".
And so the final song of the show was played solely by EODM. I thought that was a nice gesture.

Tyler Durden

#67 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:06 am

creep
Site Admin

#68 Post by creep » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:20 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
he is quite the dancer :conf:

Pandemonium

#69 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:03 pm

The HBO broadcast was pretty good, U2 were in very good form. The sound mix was kind of timid compared to how fucking loud they were in person. Although they cut the two wild card song slots out of the set because they added the two tunes for the encore with Eagles Of Death Metal, it was still a satisfying set, especially with "Bad" at the end. One thing this broadcast (and countless times seeing the band live through the decades) reinforced is that "Where The Streets Have No Name" is probably one of the greatest, uplifting live rock songs - no matter how many times I see them play it even with occasional flubs and crummy intros (Bono speechifying, etc) the last few tours, it's still an amazing song live. It's funny, the original broadcast was supposed to run a little over 2 hours and my recording cut off right as EODM came on for the encore so I had to re-record the later showing with 15 minutes added to catch the whole thing. I give them big props for including EODM doing their song alone at the end of the show, they could have very easily just bumped it or faded to credits while they played.

Tyler Durden

#70 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:26 pm

Here's the televised version of the EODM's appearance...

Larry B.

#71 Post by Larry B. » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:55 am

Pandemonium wrote: One thing this broadcast (and countless times seeing the band live through the decades) reinforced is that "Where The Streets Have No Name" is probably one of the greatest, uplifting live rock songs - no matter how many times I see them play it even with occasional flubs and crummy intros (Bono speechifying, etc) the last few tours, it's still an amazing song live.
Absolutely. In Glasgow, as Zooropa faded into Streets I felt shivers down my spine, and by the time Bono started singing I was already crying.

Pandemonium

#72 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:01 am

Looks like U2 is ready to fire up the machine in 2017, finally releasing the oft-delayed follow-up album to Songs Of Innocence, tour it, as well as playing apparently a short series of shows playing the entire Joshua Tree album first. Supposedly, the tour will start in Spring of 2017 to coincide with the 30 year anniversary of the release of The Joshua Tree with dates in the US before moving to Europe for Summer and the release of the new studio album. The bad news is, this will likely be an all-stadium tour.

SR

#73 Post by SR » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:19 am

I know what 'made' them, and I know JT is universally understood to be their masterpiece, but for me U2 is October, Boy and War.

blackcoffee

#74 Post by blackcoffee » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:28 pm

SR wrote:I know what 'made' them, and I know JT is universally understood to be their masterpiece, but for me U2 is October, Boy and War.
Through my high school lens, Joshua Tree was the album that introduced U2 to everyone else, and suddenly short little ponytails were everywhere at my high school.

kv

#75 Post by kv » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:27 pm

SR wrote:I know what 'made' them, and I know JT is universally understood to be their masterpiece, but for me U2 is October, Boy and War.
:cool: they lost me with jtree but then again maybe we are just too old

SR

#76 Post by SR » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:33 am

kv wrote:
Maybe, but the production was so stripped (similar to NS) down with such original sound for the day they were all heavily listened to by myself and my friends. Still love those albums.

Pandemonium

#77 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:30 am

SR wrote:
kv wrote:
Maybe, but the production was so stripped (similar to NS) down with such original sound for the day they were all heavily listened to by myself and my friends. Still love those albums.
War is the album that is so stripped down and dry sounding, I'd actually say the album sounds "brittle." I know it's intentional but the production gives that album a really harsh edge. Although their first two albums "Boy" and "October" are also rather sparse and thin, those two albums still have dynamics and atmosphere in the sound and production. War sounds like the band is playing in a cramped concrete bunker with little Vox amps and a 3 piece drum kit.

When Brian Eno started producing them on The Unforgettable Fire and (do-producing)The Joshua Tree, that's when they started doing massive layering of the instruments, more studio reverb, getting a better drum sound from Larry Mullin Jr and most importantly, properly mixing Adam Clayton's bass in the songs.

SR

#78 Post by SR » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:47 am

Don't totally disagree, but for me the first 3 were magic, thereafter magic tricks.

Pandemonium

#79 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:22 pm

SR wrote:Don't totally disagree, but for me the first 3 were magic, thereafter magic tricks.
I agree those first three albums are excellent. And to be clear, I'm not knocking the production on War, it has a very unique sound that suits that batch of songs. I have a soft spot for October, one song in particular "Stranger In A Strange Land" ranks way up in my top 10 favorite U2 songs. It's a shame they've never played that one live.

blackcoffee

#80 Post by blackcoffee » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:36 am

Pandemonium wrote:
SR wrote:Don't totally disagree, but for me the first 3 were magic, thereafter magic tricks.
I agree those first three albums are excellent. And to be clear, I'm not knocking the production on War, it has a very unique sound that suits that batch of songs. I have a soft spot for October, one song in particular "Stranger In A Strange Land" ranks way up in my top 10 favorite U2 songs. It's a shame they've never played that one live.
Perhaps it's appropriate that the first time I heard U@ was their War LP when my friend and I were picked up from the mall by friend's older sister. It was playing on a boombox in the old Mazda passed from sibling to sibling.

Pandemonium

#81 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:39 pm

U2 announced the dates for their Joshua Tree 30th anniversary tour today. As in previous tours, most of the floor/field is GA and is reasonably priced around $80 although they will also have some type of pit probably with seats that will feature premium pricing.

They plan on playing the album in it's entirety but it's not set in stone they will play the songs in the album's running order, especially considering the first 4 songs are among their most popular and played to death tunes.

Perhaps most telling, The Edge mentioned in a new Rolling Stone interview that the delayed new studio album was pushed back because of the band's now-typical second guessing in light of the US election, Brexit and other recent world events. It's going to be fun going to the LA show and hearing Bono whine about Trump after the huge pass they gave Bush Jr during the 2001 and 2005 tours.

The Joshua Tree Tour 2017 North America

Fri. May 12 Vancouver, BC BC Place Stadium
Sun. May 14 Seattle, WA CenturyLink Field
Wed. May 17 San Francisco, CA Levi's Stadium
Sat. May 20 Los Angeles, CA Rose Bowl
Wed. May 24 Houston, TX NRG Stadium
Fri. May 26 Dallas, TX AT&T Stadium
Sat. June 3 Chicago, IL Soldier Field
Wed. June 7 Pittsburgh, PA Heinz Field
Sat. June 11 Miami, FL Hard Rock Stadium
Wed. June 14 Tampa, FL Raymond James Stadium
Sun. June 18 Philadelphia, PA Lincoln Financial Field
Tue. June 20 Washington, DC FedEx Field
Fri. June 23 Toronto, ON Rogers Centre
Sun. June 25 Boston, MA Gillette Stadium
Wed. June 28 E. Rutherford, NJ MetLife Stadium
Sat. July 1 Cleveland, OH First Energy

The Joshua Tree Tour 2017 Europe

Sat. 8 July London, UK Twickenham Stadium
Wed. 12 July Berlin, DE Olympic Stadium
Sat., 15 July Rome, IT Olympic Stadium
Tue. 18 July Barcelona, ES Olympic Stadium
Sat. 22 July Dublin, IE Croke Park
Tue. 25 July Paris, FR Stade De France
Sat. 29 July Amsterdam, NE Amsterdam Arena
Tue. 1 Aug. Brussels, BE King Baudouin Stadium

Artemis

#82 Post by Artemis » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:53 pm

I might go to this show. It's been 20 years since I last saw U2 - PopMart tour 1997.
Mumford & Sons, The Lumineers and OneRepublic will alternate opening for U2 on the North American leg. Tickets go on sale on Jan 17, but earlier for subscribers to the band's website.
I might be mixing them up, but aren't One Republic a boy band??

Pandemonium

#83 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:55 pm

Artemis wrote:I might go to this show. It's been 20 years since I last saw U2 - PopMart tour 1997.
Mumford & Sons, The Lumineers and OneRepublic will alternate opening for U2 on the North American leg. Tickets go on sale on Jan 17, but earlier for subscribers to the band's website.
No, you're probably thinking of One Direction, lol. All three of these bands are mostly watered down Kings Of Leon/Coldplay lightweights probably chosen to bring in the Starbucks hipsters for the North American dates. I'm not a big fan of Oasis and I don't have a clue what Noel Gallagher's solo stuff is like but I'd prefer to see him open by about eleventy billion times over any of the acts opening for the NA dates.

Artemis

#84 Post by Artemis » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:33 am

Pandemonium wrote:
Artemis wrote:I might go to this show. It's been 20 years since I last saw U2 - PopMart tour 1997.
No, you're probably thinking of One Direction, lol. All three of these bands are mostly watered down Kings Of Leon/Coldplay lightweights probably chosen to bring in the Starbucks hipsters for the North American dates. I'm not a big fan of Oasis and I don't have a clue what Noel Gallagher's solo stuff is like but I'd prefer to see him open by about eleventy billion times over any of the acts opening for the NA dates.
Yes, I was thinking of One Direction. :lol:
I saw Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds in 2015. I thought they were quite good;they definitely have that pop rock sound. Noel's voice is distinctive and in top form. The band Noel's assembled is really tight too. One of the things I really liked about the show I went to was Noel's hilarious commentary between songs. He's a really funny and down to earth guy. You can tell he really loves what he's doing because he's not just running through the songs.

elportosurfer9

#85 Post by elportosurfer9 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:06 pm

I have always liked U2. JT is a solid album, among the B-sides. Pop mart had some of the best U2 songs during that period. I was taking about shows with my cousin, and he actually saw U2 at the Roxy in 1980. That would of been cool. :thumb: