U2

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Tyler Durden

Re: U2

#41 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:45 am

Bono: "Hey Edge, who's the guy...?"

:lol:

Artemis

#42 Post by Artemis » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:02 am

:lol:

I rewatched that bit three times in a row and laughed each time.

Matz

#43 Post by Matz » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:00 pm

:lol: pretty cool moment for Perry....he really needs something like that if he's stopped by this site

Tyler Durden

#44 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:14 pm

Pandemonium

#45 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:18 pm

Artemis wrote:

Part of the review from National Post:

" And it was certainly a delight for Bono, afterwards, to compare the singer to Perry Farrell, but also to forget who Perry Farrell was. (The Edge refreshed his memory.) I’ll never see anything like that again. "
Too funny. "He's one of our favorites" .... LOL!

BTW, that's was a great version of Desire even though they banged it out on acoustic guitar(s). More energy than U2 themselves puts into the song.

Artemis

#46 Post by Artemis » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:33 pm

The Tuesday night show they invited "Stephanie" up on stage to play. Bono misread her sign and thought she wanted to dance on stage with them. :lol:

A friend of mine who was at this show said this one of the highlights of the concert.

Lucky girl, got to do 2 songs! :cool: :rockon:

Pandemonium

#47 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:28 pm

They finally brought back Two Hearts Beat As One" after 3 decades (they stopped playing it in '85 and only played it once in '89):

Last night's show, Lady Gaga guested for a song:

Pandemonium

#48 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:03 am

Edge and Adam guested with a U2 cover band yesterday.

Artemis

#49 Post by Artemis » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:04 am

Looks like Javier Bardem had a few too many cocktails. :lol:

Larry B.

#50 Post by Larry B. » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:03 pm

Pandemonium wrote:Edge and Adam guested with a U2 cover band yesterday.

That's so fucking cool.

We'll be going to Glasgow for the show on Nov 7. It'll be my wife's first U2 show, and probably our last. Should be great, despite the setlist.

Pandemonium

#51 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:02 pm

Larry B. wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:Edge and Adam guested with a U2 cover band yesterday.

That's so fucking cool.

We'll be going to Glasgow for the show on Nov 7. It'll be my wife's first U2 show, and probably our last. Should be great, despite the setlist.
You know, I don't think the current tour is their best mainly due to the heavy reliance on the new songs in the first half of the set, but it does have it's moments and judging from what I've seen and heard from the European leg, it's a better overall show then the two nights I saw in LA last Spring.

Larry B.

#52 Post by Larry B. » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:08 am

This little clip sent shivers down my spine. What a voice that was.

Pandemonium

#53 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:14 am

Pretty awesome appearance by Patti Smith at the end of U2's 3rd show in London last night:

Larry B.

#54 Post by Larry B. » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:35 pm

Last night's show was incredible. At one point I actually thought "these bastards... if I had the chance of seeing them again, I would." I don't know what they do or how they do it, but they always manage to grab my emotions by the balls and leave me drained.

I was also very lucky to get ALL the optional songs that I wanted to hear: Gloria (I'd been waiting my whole life for that moment), Desire, Angel of Harlem, Bad and 40. Their rendition of Where the Streets... was also very moving. That bit of Zooropa they do also touched a bit of my soul.

I don't know... it was so much better than I expected, or than what I would've hoped for. Bono's voice was great, the band as tight as always...

Could this be their last ever tour? When they said goodbye, Bono said "we will remember this."

Pandemonium

#55 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:28 pm

Larry B. wrote:Last night's show was incredible. At one point I actually thought "these bastards... if I had the chance of seeing them again, I would." I don't know what they do or how they do it, but they always manage to grab my emotions by the balls and leave me drained.

I was also very lucky to get ALL the optional songs that I wanted to hear: Gloria (I'd been waiting my whole life for that moment), Desire, Angel of Harlem, Bad and 40. Their rendition of Where the Streets... was also very moving. That bit of Zooropa they do also touched a bit of my soul.

I don't know... it was so much better than I expected, or than what I would've hoped for. Bono's voice was great, the band as tight as always...

Could this be their last ever tour? When they said goodbye, Bono said "we will remember this."
Yeah, I read about your show on one of the U2 fan sites, you got a pretty good setlist. I do think they are capable of a couple more major worldwide tours over the next 10 years before they scale it way back to sporadic shows or just calling it quits but I do think they are on the cusp of becoming The Rolling Stones and just flogging the oldies and giving up on meaningful new material. I do think (and hope) the next leg or next tour they are going to cut down to maybe 2 songs max from the last album. You take away that big A/V presentation for the new songs on the first half of the set, and those songs just do not cut it compared to the dozens of other songs they could be playing.

Will be interesting to see if they actually can follow through in 2016 with the supposed "Songs Of Experience" album and another tour or if they'll go back in hibernation for a few years as usual.

Larry B.

#56 Post by Larry B. » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:39 am

Pandemonium wrote:
Larry B. wrote:Last night's show was incredible. At one point I actually thought "these bastards... if I had the chance of seeing them again, I would." I don't know what they do or how they do it, but they always manage to grab my emotions by the balls and leave me drained.

Yeah, I read about your show on one of the U2 fan sites, you got a pretty good setlist. I do think they are capable of a couple more major worldwide tours over the next 10 years before they scale it way back to sporadic shows or just calling it quits but I do think they are on the cusp of becoming The Rolling Stones and just flogging the oldies and giving up on meaningful new material. I do think (and hope) the next leg or next tour they are going to cut down to maybe 2 songs max from the last album. You take away that big A/V presentation for the new songs on the first half of the set, and those songs just do not cut it compared to the dozens of other songs they could be playing.

Will be interesting to see if they actually can follow through in 2016 with the supposed "Songs Of Experience" album and another tour or if they'll go back in hibernation for a few years as usual.
About the presentation of the new songs, I have to give it to them how they managed to make those songs entertaining, if only thanks to the visual aids. Their last album is absolutely skippable for me, and yet I found myself not entirely bored by those songs. However, the audience (ourselves included) had one clear dynamic: new songs, everyone sat down.

My wife also pointed out something that I thought was funny, how we got to the point where Vertigo is considered a classic. How the hell did that happen.

Here's Gloria, from www.u2gigs.com. Poor Adam, always the weak link and at 50+ years old still fucking up his "solo" in Gloria.

Tyler Durden

#57 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:04 am

I love the new album.

Tyler Durden

#58 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:01 pm

I'm curious to hear U2 fans' thoughts on criticism of their rhythm section. I heard and read stuff saying that Adam and Larry are the most boring rhythm section in rock and roll.

While I can sort of see why people might say that, I disagree. To me, they are great precisely because they aren't "showy". They focus on song craft and what is going to make the song its very best. I'm not a fan of wankery.

Larry B.

#59 Post by Larry B. » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:15 am

Tyler Durden wrote:I'm curious to hear U2 fans' thoughts on criticism of their rhythm section. I heard and read stuff saying that Adam and Larry are the most boring rhythm section in rock and roll.

While I can sort of see why people might say that, I disagree. To me, they are great precisely because they aren't "showy". They focus on song craft and what is going to make the song its very best. I'm not a fan of wankery.
I think U2 as a whole has gradually become musically boring, starting probably in ATYCLB with the songs Wild Honey and Walk On. The last album is very unremarkable in terms of musical novelty, as everything sounds very average, almost high school-like. What I mean by that is that any band could've come up with that rhythm section, those dynamics, the entire approach to the song. It's basically a background to Bono's increasingly lame lyrics, instead of being an entity that is sort of self-reliant, like it was the case in songs ranging from the Boy album to Pop, The Unforgettable Fire being the greatest example as an album. You remove Bono from the equation and it still sounds incredible. I think No Line on the Horizon and I'll Go Crazy if I Don't go Crazy Tonight are their last songs to have this quality. I remember watching interviews for How To Dismantle... and Bono said that he wanted to create a guitar-driven album, which U2 has never been. However, from that year and until today, U2 songs are guitar-driven and Bono's lyrics are created with a hip-hop feel to it, instead of the creative process he used to have in years past. That's what took U2 to a lower level.

However, I'd never say Adam and Larry are boring. They do the perfect job in a band that never relied on the guitar as a rhythmic (or even harmonic) part of the structure. Even in hits like Mysterious Ways or With or Without You, they drive the song forward with repetition and simplicity, without leaving anything amiss. Edge is playing like 2 notes in the entire song, and I don't even mean "chords": he's playing two notes.

Same thing in songs like The Fly, Lemon, New Year's Day, Sunday Bloody Sunday... you change one thing of what Adam and Larry are doing and those songs don't work.

In the last album, however, they play average stuff. You change one or two things in the rhythm section and it doesn't make a difference, because the song is just lame to begin with. They sound like unfinished demos.

Not a fan of wankery here either.

Pandemonium

#60 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:03 pm

I think back when they started out at the end of the 70's up through the end of the 80's Adam and Larry at least had a certain unique style. They weren't particularly musically proficient when they started out (and it could be argued they still aren't) but I wouldn't say they were boring back then. Larry's drumming really propels much of the "War" album and later 80's songs like "Where The Streets Have No Name." Adam's bass playing in a song like "Two Hearts" and "Bad" is really the lead instrument, it's different and compelling. I think where things changed dramatically is after the Zooropa tour and Adam's breakdown when the pair moved to New York and studied music and took lessons for a few years while U2 was off the grid. When they started using samples and loops in the mid 90's and especially when Larry had back surgery before they recorded the "Pop" album, you could hear and see the change towards a more generic style of playing with those two guys. Samples and loops took the pressure off the rhythm section in the studio and with each succeeding album and tour, Adam and Larry's playing has essentially grown simpler and simpler. Two songs where you can really hear this (de)evolution over the past couple decades at least with Larry's playing live is "The Fly" and "Streets" ....

Tyler Durden

#61 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:01 am

A confession...

Like MANY people, I was never a fan of the song "Vertigo". Especially during the first year or two that Atomic Bomb was out and the song was inescapable. However, I don't know what it is...but like a light switch being turned on, suddenly 11 years later I am loving this song. I genuinely think it rips. I think I had to judge it outside of the "new U2 album" hype machine and the iPod marketing, etc.

Okay, go ahead...flog me... :lol:

P.S. Elevation is still horrible.

Pandemonium

#62 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:17 am

So Patti Smith and Eagles Of Death Metal w/Josh will guest with U2 for the 12/6/15 rescheduled show in Paris. Unclear if EODM are opening or more likely, guesting w/Smith for an encore song, probably Smith's "People Have The Power." The 12/7 final show of the tour will be broadcast live on HBO.

Tyler Durden

#63 Post by Tyler Durden » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:41 am

Pandemonium wrote:So Patti Smith and Eagles Of Death Metal w/Josh will guest with U2 for the 12/6/15 rescheduled show in Paris. Unclear if EODM are opening or more likely, guesting w/Smith for an encore song, probably Smith's "People Have The Power." The 12/7 final show of the tour will be broadcast live on HBO.
I knew about Patti appearing. As for EODM, it doesn't come as a surprise. Good on Bono and the guys...I seriously don't get the cynical people who shit on U2 as human beings. They're straight up, damn good people.

Tyler Durden

#64 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:49 pm

Bandit72

#65 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:03 am

Sky describe them as 'The Bataclan Band' which I thought was a bit off and odd.
Watch Bataclan Band Join U2 On Stage

http://news.sky.com/story/1601675/watch ... 2-on-stage