The Cure

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Artemis

Re: The Cure

#251 Post by Artemis » Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:39 am

phenobarb_bambalam wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:59 pm

Artemis - one ticket for Toronto available now. Wheelchair. Not suggesting you want it, but it's working for your show.
I didn't see that one but I did see a pair come up in the covered seated section last night. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get them.

phenobarb_bambalam

#252 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:15 pm

Sorry to hear that....keep trying. I keep seeing things pop up. Some good, some not so good, but better than not being there.

thoreau

#253 Post by thoreau » Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:44 am

I can't in recent memory remember it being this hard to get tickets of any level on a tour. Unreal 😳😳😳

phenobarb_bambalam

#254 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:47 am

I have been thinking the same. It's odd. I keep trying to explain it for a few reasons in my head (pent up plague era demand, 'relatively' inexpensive seats, etc), but I am not sure any of of these makes sense. It's probably just the legacy act thing. Whatever this is, it's on a whole other level of demand compared to the last two tours - for both of those, I was able to get tickets long after they went on sale as the shows weren't sold out.

It's also interesting to compare this to the vulgarity of Depeche Mode's current tour where the ticket prices are shocking, yet still selling out.

Artemis

#255 Post by Artemis » Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:30 pm

I've been thinking the same as well. While I appreciate Robert Smith's efforts to keep the prices reasonable and reduce Ticketbastard's fees and Dynamic pricing, I don't think it should be so hard to get tickets. The demand for the tickets has been crazy! I figured I'd get a couple of tickets on the pre-sale, no problem. The average age of Cure fans is over 40 for sure , and many at that age and older don't go to concerts anymore. That's been my experience with my friends. I still have a few that like to go to shows but most are homebodies now. :lol: :oldtimer:

The last time I had such a challenge to get tickets was for Kate Bush in 2014 when she did 22 shows in London. This was also a short time between when the tickets went on sale and when the shows started (on sale in March, shows in September). In KB's case, it was the first time she'd done any concerts in 35 years; so it was understandable that the demand would be high world-wide. I didn't get anything on the first day or next days, but in early July I managed to snag a ticket for myself at face value.

For The Cure, I think closer to the date there will be more tickets for resale. People won't be able to go for whatever reasons, and put their tickets up for sale.

Artemis

#256 Post by Artemis » Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:02 pm

Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:47 am
It's also interesting to compare this to the vulgarity of Depeche Mode's current tour where the ticket prices are shocking, yet still selling out.
"Vulgarity" is the perfect way to describe the current DM ticket situation. I passed. I saw the last couple of tours. I don't feel like I'm missing out.

Prices sure have gone up since 1982!
20230326_185321.jpg
20230326_185321.jpg (196 KiB) Viewed 4908 times

phenobarb_bambalam

#257 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:50 pm

https://twitter.com/CraigatCoF/status/1 ... 4844623872

That's the first Toronto ticket I have seen pop up...they're out there! As you say, it shouldn't be this hard, but I hope you manage to find something (decent). I am sure you will.

This weekend has been a joke - the volume of time spent on scrapping for tickets, but it's paid off. Kind of. In that I managed to get tickets for the three shows I was desperate to get and also managed to get better tickets for a couple that were horrendous. When I bought tickets for last year's European tour, I managed to get tickets for multiple shows, without a single headache. And you can't tell me demand for Cure tickets in Salt Lake City is going to be steeper than in London! Something definitely feels off about all of this. You are right that a tour of this kind shouldn't be a bun-flight like a landmark event like Kate Bush was.

Nice ticket stub! Yes, likewise - it just felt offensive to pay the amount they were asking. $200 to sit behind a stage is risible. I gave up on seeing them after 2013(?) and was tempted again as I thought this may be a farewell given Fletch's passing....but now. They seem happy enough to carry on milking.

creep
Site Admin

#258 Post by creep » Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:18 pm

Didn't they play arenas in Europe? These shows all seem to be under 20K capacity.

phenobarb_bambalam

#259 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:01 pm

Those were all arenas, but I'd say arenas in Europe are typically smaller than here. Wembley Area is something like 13k capacity, one of the ones I went to was something like 4k capacity. Shoreline is over 20k

thoreau

#260 Post by thoreau » Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:12 am

Artemis wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:02 pm
Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:47 am
"Vulgarity" is the perfect way to describe the current DM ticket situation. I passed. I saw the last couple of tours. I don't feel like I'm missing out.

Prices sure have gone up since 1982!
20230326_185321.jpg
My, how prices have changed! :lol:

I last saw them on the Delta Machine tour, which was a GREAT show. I've passed it up a few times since, but like PB said, with Fletch's passing, this might make it a bit different. And I'm sincerely questioning how many more DM tours are going to happen, so it might be my last chance.

thoreau

#261 Post by thoreau » Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:14 am

Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:01 pm
Those were all arenas, but I'd say arenas in Europe are typically smaller than here. Wembley Area is something like 13k capacity, one of the ones I went to was something like 4k capacity. Shoreline is over 20k
I'd agree that the size is much more varying in the States from what I've heard about in Europe.

Something still seems off about how unavailable tickets seems to be, regardless of how in demand this tour is.

thoreau

#262 Post by thoreau » Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:14 am

PB, how many shows do you have tickets to now?

phenobarb_bambalam

#263 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:44 am

thoreau wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:12 am
I last saw them on the Delta Machine tour, which was a GREAT show. I've passed it up a few times since, but like PB said, with Fletch's passing, this might make it a bit different. And I'm sincerely questioning how many more DM tours are going to happen, so it might be my last chance.
It does feel like this might be or should be a farewell from them (though probably won't be), which is why I am tempted. Drunk me even thoroughly enjoyed a capture of the whole show from the first night of the tour that's up on YouTube (not something I usually do). As comedy as Leathery Dave becomes with age, they still manage to deliver live, I think. It's just hard to justify the egregiousness of the ticket pricing when they are so transparent with their greed ($55 for t-shirts at the shows and $100 for hoodies). I passed on the show here last week but may yet cave in when they come back in December. Will be curious what you make of it, if you go.

phenobarb_bambalam

#264 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:46 am

thoreau wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:14 am
Umm...do I have to admit? It's a little embarrassing, given that Artemis is currently locked out!

(11, pending new show announcements)

thoreau

#265 Post by thoreau » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:32 pm

Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:44 am
thoreau wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:12 am
It does feel like this might be or should be a farewell from them (though probably won't be), which is why I am tempted. Drunk me even thoroughly enjoyed a capture of the whole show from the first night of the tour that's up on YouTube (not something I usually do). As comedy as Leathery Dave becomes with age, they still manage to deliver live, I think. It's just hard to justify the egregiousness of the ticket pricing when they are so transparent with their greed ($55 for t-shirts at the shows and $100 for hoodies). I passed on the show here last week but may yet cave in when they come back in December. Will be curious what you make of it, if you go.
Yeah, I definitely fell into the temptation for that exact reason. Well, I'm definitely not purchasing any merch at that price, but I've got the tickets, so I'll let you guys know my thoughts after.

thoreau

#266 Post by thoreau » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:39 pm

Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:46 am
thoreau wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:14 am
Umm...do I have to admit? It's a little embarrassing, given that Artemis is currently locked out!

(11, pending new show announcements)
Haha, 11 is a healthy number! 😉

I think Artemis would be happy for you regardless. Speaking of, is vividseats.com a legit ticket resell site? They have a number of tickets listed as "available" to the Toronto show.

While the price greatly differs, I am the exact same way when Fishbone ventures near me, getting to any show that I can.

phenobarb_bambalam

#267 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:54 pm

Ha! Yes..."healthy" - I like that!

Vivid is a scalper site, as far as I know. Personal views of that sort of things aside, I would worry that any tickets from the likes of there and Stubhub would get canceled. The resale system seems to be working; I have seen tickets come up for every show, at some point. Even a third row center ticket, but it was a single. It just takes a lot of 'refreshing'.

Fishbone...nice. It's been too long since I saw them!

I do look forward to reports on DM. I can't say I have not kicked myself gently since the weekend. The songs are still potent, so I don't doubt the show will be good.

thoreau

#268 Post by thoreau » Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:29 pm

You're right. Upon further look, it looks like it's right on line with StubHub and SeatGeek.

I was watching the resale for Toronto on Ticketmaster for an hour or so, ready to message Artemis if I saw anything pop up. Never give up hope!

They are still an incredible to go see! Hoka saw them last year and was very impressed. I've seen them around 36 (I believe) times now.

I hope it will be good. It is going to be really really weird not seeing Fletch dance around his station this time around.

thoreau

#269 Post by thoreau » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:54 pm

phenobarb_bambalam

#270 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:54 am

It is incredible to see tickets popping up on those sites. And that subsequent tweet with the estimate that 40-50% of the revenue frrom ticket sales for the tour coming from the three states where scalping can't be curbed is remarkable. The system is so broken.

I still go to a lot of shows and feel ripped off every time I buy a 'standard ticket', but I am glad not to have to deal with mega shows like these very often.

thoreau

#271 Post by thoreau » Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:01 am

Artemis

#272 Post by Artemis » Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:12 am

thoreau wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:01 am
I was just going to post the same thing!
Shame that there isn't an additional T.O. date, but Saturday 17th June in Montreal might be doable for me. It's been a while since I last visited la belle ville.

thoreau

#273 Post by thoreau » Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:48 am

Fingers crossed!

1 show for you!

12th, 13th, 14th for PB!

:wink: :wink: :wink:

phenobarb_bambalam

#274 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:57 pm

thoreau wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:48 am
Fingers crossed!

1 show for you!
Crossing fingers for Artemis, 100%!

As for me...I like your optimism! I will be trying for two more, but I have a meeting at 10am when they go on sale. No breath held.

I was surprised by the shows they announced. PDX makes complete sense and I had a feeling that would be one of them. I didn't see 2nd nights being the case - especially in what seems like random locations, but the logistics make sense (obviously).

(Let's see when the Mexico dates are!)

Artemis

#275 Post by Artemis » Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:34 am

I'm going to pass on Montreal for the 17th. I saw someone posted in one of the Cure groups that hotel rooms are going for about $900 in Montreal on June 17th. The Montreal Grand Prix is June 16-18.

I'm going to continue to periodically check for June 14th. I'm almost at the point where I don't care anymore. :lol: