Eric leaves NIN or "the breakdown of nyrexall"

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
LJF

Re: Eric leaves NIN or "the breakdown of nyrexall"

#1276 Post by LJF » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:16 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
LJF wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:Hoka, you have a huge bias to NINs' 90s material. NIN was considered a "pop" band by a large contingent of people who listened to industrial rock in the late 80s/early 90s. With Broken, Trent clearly went out of his way to try to prove himself to those people (by arguably overcompensating). And when TDS was released, tracks like "Heresy" and "Closer" were "controversial" because of Trent's blending of genres or styles. Are you even old enough to remember any of this? I am...I met Trent in 1994.

so are you the starfucker he sings about?
Is Larry one of your head writers?

what does that even mean? I'm just wondering with your god-like worship of all things Trent. Wait do KOL know about this?

Tyler Durden

#1277 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:22 am

LJF wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:
LJF wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:Hoka, you have a huge bias to NINs' 90s material. NIN was considered a "pop" band by a large contingent of people who listened to industrial rock in the late 80s/early 90s. With Broken, Trent clearly went out of his way to try to prove himself to those people (by arguably overcompensating). And when TDS was released, tracks like "Heresy" and "Closer" were "controversial" because of Trent's blending of genres or styles. Are you even old enough to remember any of this? I am...I met Trent in 1994.

what does that even mean? I'm just wondering with your god-like worship of all things Trent. Wait do KOL know about this?
It means you're not funny. :lol:

I don't have a god-like worship of Trent Reznor. NIN wouldn't even make my top 10 favourite artists. And I've stated in numerous threads about the work he has done that I haven't liked. :noclue:

LJF

#1278 Post by LJF » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:27 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
LJF wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:
LJF wrote:

Ok, yes he is the head writer. One last question, if you shook his hand have you washed it since?

Tyler Durden

#1279 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:32 am

LJF wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:
LJF wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:
LJF wrote:

Ok, yes he is the head writer. One last question, if you shook his hand have you washed it since?
Dude, I was 19 at the time. My star worship of anyone is long over. The only musician I am remotely interested in meeting now (at age 39) would be Glenn Danzig. That I would geek out over (not because of his persona or anything...but because I LOVE his work and am a total fanboy of all of his bands).

NYRexall

#1280 Post by NYRexall » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:36 am

Are you a fan of that video where the guy from Suicide Kings punches his lights out backstage?

I know I am.

LJF

#1281 Post by LJF » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:38 am

[so are you the starfucker he sings about?[/quote]

what does that even mean? I'm just wondering with your god-like worship of all things Trent. Wait do KOL know about this?[/quote][/quote]

Ok, yes he is the head writer. One last question, if you shook his hand have you washed it since?[/quote]

Dude, I was 19 at the time. My star worship of anyone is long over. The only musician I am remotely interested in meeting now (at age 39) would be Glenn Danzig. That I would geek out over (not because of his persona or anything...but because I LOVE his work and am a total fanboy of all of his bands).[/quote]

ok, so you were a starfucker, but those days are now over. What about KOL, I thought you were head fanboy.

Tyler Durden

#1282 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:40 am

NYRexall wrote:Are you a fan of that video where the guy from Suicide Kings punches his lights out backstage?

I know I am.
:lolol:

Glenn is a dickhead, no doubt. But I also think he is a bloody musical genius.

Tyler Durden

#1283 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:41 am

LJF wrote:

ok, so you were a starfucker, but those days are now over. What about KOL, I thought you were head fanboy.
Dude, let it go. :no:

LJF

#1284 Post by LJF » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:44 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
LJF wrote:

Dude, let it go. :no:

pure gold coming from you.

Tyler Durden

#1285 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:56 am

These guys want to kick Glenn's ass too...

trevor ayer

#1286 Post by trevor ayer » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:35 pm

glenn danzig rules all .. well his first 10 records or so .. misfits thru danzig 4 .. can we turn every single fucking last thread into a danzig thread? (fair is fair) .. that would make slogging thru the endless "i know u are but what am i" and "battle of who could care less" much more bearable .. at least danzig has talent .. unlike trent who is nothing short of the britney spears of the hot topic generation.

Tyler Durden

#1287 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:41 pm

trevor ayer wrote:glenn danzig rules all .. well his first 10 records or so .. misfits thru danzig 4 .. can we turn every single fucking last thread into a danzig thread? (fair is fair) .. that would make slogging thru the endless "i know u are but what am i" and "battle of who could care less" much more bearable .. at least danzig has talent .. unlike trent who is nothing short of the britney spears of the hot topic generation.
:lol:

Yeah, the Misfits through Danzig 4 is fucking flawless. Since then, his work has been patchy...but still, there are some recent gems. His last album (Deth Red Sabaoth) is his best since Danzig 4.

NYRexall

#1288 Post by NYRexall » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:57 pm

Smh for NIN at ANR.

I guess it's understandable though.

Today, Billboard announced that Hesitation Marks landed in the #3 spot on the Top 100 with over 100,000 records sold in the U.S. its first week of release.

That's a lot better than The Great Mistake Artist, which opened up at #12 back in 2011 with less than 24,000 records sold. Has that thing even sold 100K worldwide yet?

Last month, Jane's Addiction released new single "Another Soulmate", which went virtually unnoticed by everyone, including members of the band itself.

Around the same time, NIN dropped a new single that managed to piss off the entire internet and create a wellspring of buzz over something that sounded like nothing they'd done before it.

And then you have the glaring fact that TR has more talent and creativity in his two hands than all three members of Jane's, their stand-in bass player, and the frontman's bimbo wife combined. Hell, even the original bass player couldn't hack it for a tour with NIN.

So yea, I can see why all the disdain. Wrong side of the fence and all.

kv

#1289 Post by kv » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:03 pm

i have zero disdain, i have been over both nin and jane's for a very long time now...jane's has clearly fallen much further...nobody is in denial about that...but at the same time nin is slipping as well
strays sold 120k in the first week and had a song off the record nominated for a grammy...and that record sucked to me...so sales and praise don't mean shit to my ears/taste :noclue:

Tyler Durden

#1290 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:53 am

A very good, objective review of Hesitation Marks from someone who isn't swallowing it hook, line, and sinker. I wish some of the naysayers on here would be a little detailed with their negative feelings of the album, as opposed to just using blanket statements like "hot garbage".

Hokahey
Site Admin

#1291 Post by Hokahey » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:44 am

NYRexall wrote:Smh for NIN at ANR.

I guess it's understandable though.

Today, Billboard announced that Hesitation Marks landed in the #3 spot on the Top 100 with over 100,000 records sold in the U.S. its first week of release.

That's a lot better than The Great Mistake Artist, which opened up at #12 back in 2011 with less than 24,000 records sold. Has that thing even sold 100K worldwide yet?

Last month, Jane's Addiction released new single "Another Soulmate", which went virtually unnoticed by everyone, including members of the band itself.

Around the same time, NIN dropped a new single that managed to piss off the entire internet and create a wellspring of buzz over something that sounded like nothing they'd done before it.

And then you have the glaring fact that TR has more talent and creativity in his two hands than all three members of Jane's, their stand-in bass player, and the frontman's bimbo wife combined. Hell, even the original bass player couldn't hack it for a tour with NIN.

So yea, I can see why all the disdain. Wrong side of the fence and all.
We're going to go by album sales when considering artistic worthiness?

How 'bout them Backstreet Boys!? huh? huh?

Is this like the one where we talk about artists having to iron their own clothes being shit?
Tyler Durden wrote:A very good, objective review of Hesitation Marks from someone who isn't swallowing it hook, line, and sinker. I wish some of the naysayers on here would be a little detailed with their negative feelings of the album, as opposed to just using blanket statements like "hot garbage".
You read what you choose to read.

The beats are thin, uninspired and derivative of better artists like James Murphy.

The lyrics are like reading a teenage girl's poetry book (do I really need to be more detailed than that? I dont think so.)

And vocally, Trent has been in decline since The Fragile. He sounds like he broke his nose or something. It really is kind of DER DER sounding. I'm sorry. I don't know how else to describe it.

He used to sort of half whisper/half scream his songs to much better effect. At some point, much like Perry, someone must have said 'you know, you can really sing. You don't have to hide behind effects and whispers and screams." To the overall detriment of the songs.

Put it all together and you have derivative disco beats, bad lyrics, and stupid vocals.

I'd say they're still worth seeing live, but sometime post Fragility Tour, he started yelling "HEY" every 30 seconds.

"I want to HEY fuck you HEY like an animal HEY."

It's horrible and annoying.

I'm happy for Trent that there are eyeliner wearing, candle burning, crown of shit wearers on liars chairs that will stand by him no matter what. He's earned his place. But I'm not going to be a blind fanboy.

Tyler Durden

#1292 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:07 am

hokahey wrote: I'm happy for Trent that there are eyeliner wearing, candle burning, crown of shit wearers on liars chairs that will stand by him no matter what. He's earned his place. But I'm not going to be a blind fanboy.
I don't think it's a matter of being a blind fanboy. As the guy in the review I posted stated, some people prefer the loud, screaming version of NIN...while some prefer the subdued, electronic beats version of NIN. I have never said that Hesitation Marks is some kind of masterpiece...I just enjoy it and think that statements suggesting NIN's work is now pure shit is hyperbolic. Hesitation Marks isn't as good as some of his other albums...but it's hardly The Clash's "Cut The Crap" or Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music".

Jammyshill

#1293 Post by Jammyshill » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:29 pm

kv wrote:i have zero disdain, i have been over both nin and jane's for a very long time now...:
Then why the fuck are you on a Jane's site posting about NIN?

I believe in the Pixies thread, when somebody suggested they weren't into the Pixies, your response was "ok, thank you and goodbye," or something to that degree.

Perhaps you should follow your advice, or could it be that you're being a 'troll?' :eyes:

Jammyshill

#1294 Post by Jammyshill » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:30 pm

Jammyshill wrote:
kv wrote:i have zero disdain, i have been over both nin and jane's for a very long time now...:

I believe in the Pixies thread, when somebody suggested they weren't into the Pixies, your response was "cool, see you later," or something to that degree.

Perhaps you should follow your advice, or could it be that you're being a 'troll?' :eyes:

Pandemonium

#1295 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:29 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:I don't think it's a matter of being a blind fanboy. As the guy in the review I posted stated, some people prefer the loud, screaming version of NIN...while some prefer the subdued, electronic beats version of NIN.
I prefer the "good" NIN - both the subdued and loud stuff.

My problem with the last decades worth of NIN is Trent is treading the same lyrical and thematic ground to ever lessening effect with each release. I'm not saying he's become the AC/DC or Ramones of his genre pooping out the same album every couple years, but it's grown stale despite the marginal new (or retro, depending on one's tastes) spin he's put on the musical aspect with this album. Lyrically, most of Hesitation Marks is distractingly awful and is actually made worse by the sparse musical arrangements. I really have to agree with Hoka's hammer points about modern-day Trent both live and artistically although I would add I really don't like the attempts at singing falsetto on the new album.
Tyler Durden wrote:I just enjoy it and think that statements suggesting NIN's work is now pure shit is hyperbolic. Hesitation Marks isn't as good as some of his other albums...but it's hardly The Clash's "Cut The Crap" or Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music".
I would agree the new album isn't pure shit and would also say that based on the live clips from this tour, Reznor still puts on a decent show. The problem is, Reznor set a very high standard through the 90's and sporadically through a few key songs over the past decade that makes the steady decline all the more frustrating. With raw, visceral guys like Reznor, middle age domestication (and acclaim by their mainstream peers) always takes the edge off their art.

All said, I doubt I'm going to bother with seeing NIN this tour, especially since they're playing the cavernous Staples Arena in LA.

Tyler Durden

#1296 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:50 pm

Leave it to Pandemonium to post an articulate, intelligent response that isn't laced with personal insults that I can respect, despite not agreeing with quite a bit of it. :tiphat:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#1297 Post by Hokahey » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:44 pm

Jammyshill wrote:

I believe in the Pixies thread, when somebody suggested they weren't into the Pixies, your response was "ok, thank you and goodbye," or something to that degree.

I'm thinking you should go find a NIN site to post on.

Jammyshill

#1298 Post by Jammyshill » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:48 pm

hokahey wrote:
Jammyshill wrote:

I'm thinking you should go find a NIN site to post on.
Ah, the local pleb :thumb:

NYRexall

#1299 Post by NYRexall » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:41 pm

hokahey wrote: We're going to go by album sales when considering artistic worthiness?

How 'bout them Backstreet Boys!? huh? huh?

Is this like the one where we talk about artists having to iron their own clothes being shit?
You sound so buttsore about NIN being a better band than Jane's, it's hilarious.

Those albums sales should tell you one obvious thing: WAY more people out there willing to check out Trent's latest album than Jane's fans willing to hear what Perry and Etty have to say.

And while we're talking about bad vocals, shit lyrics and horrible music, let's dissect such winners as "I Like 'Em Big", "End to the Lies" and "Another Soulmate"

NYRexall

#1300 Post by NYRexall » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:58 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:Leave it to Pandemonium to post an articulate, intelligent response that isn't laced with personal insults that I can respect, despite not agreeing with quite a bit of it. :tiphat:
THIS.

Thank you, Panda. An articulate response, and not some samey stereotypical half-assed argument from a pissy hardcore Jane's fan.