Eric leaves NIN or "the breakdown of nyrexall"

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Pandemonium

Re: Eric leaves NIN

#61 Post by Pandemonium » Thu May 16, 2013 4:25 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
Essence_Smith wrote: Agreed...I was actually thinking the other day how easy people found it to talk shit about Sonny after he "pulled the plug"...in retrospect I think what he did actually made things work for the better as I have yet to see anything even close to the shit slinging that people did at xiola here on this board
It was Sonny who created, funded, enabled, and sometimes even encouraged the culture of "hate" that existed at xiola.org in the first place.
"Culture of hate" ..... nahhh. We're all adults and responsible for our conduct there or here. I didn't need Sonny to encourage my negative or positive behavior and attitude any more than any anyone else did or does. And just because Sonny was the owner and moderator of his board, didn't mean he has to keep his (often controversial and polarizing) opinions to himself. His former passion for the band worked for but eventually against him objectively running his site. IMO, he deserves a lot of credit for mostly letting his board police itself. You just have to look at JA.org to see what a chilling effect heavy handed moderation can do to a message board.

The only negative thing I can say about the guy was he seemed to be a victim of his own impulsive feelings and would get too drama queen-ish when he'd have his predictable annual meltdown resulting in shutting the site down for a few days. The last year or so, it was clear it was only a matter of time before someone else would have to put together a decent JA board.

I think the fact that it was more or less a group effort that resulted in ANR speaks volumes to the fact most of us feel more vested in the group we've managed to keep together and have a lot more tolerance and respect for each other now.

creep
Site Admin

#62 Post by creep » Thu May 16, 2013 4:30 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:
Essence_Smith wrote: Agreed...I was actually thinking the other day how easy people found it to talk shit about Sonny after he "pulled the plug"...in retrospect I think what he did actually made things work for the better as I have yet to see anything even close to the shit slinging that people did at xiola here on this board
It was Sonny who created, funded, enabled, and sometimes even encouraged the culture of "hate" that existed at xiola.org in the first place.
"Culture of hate" ..... nahhh. We're all adults and responsible for our conduct there or here. I didn't need Sonny to encourage my negative or positive behavior and attitude any more than any anyone else did or does. And just because Sonny was the owner and moderator of his board, didn't mean he has to keep his (often controversial and polarizing) opinions to himself. His former passion for the band worked for but eventually against him objectively running his site. IMO, he deserves a lot of credit for mostly letting his board police itself. You just have to look at JA.org to see what a chilling effect heavy handed moderation can do to a message board.

The only negative thing I can say about the guy was he seemed to be a victim of his own impulsive feelings and would get too drama queen-ish when he'd have his predictable annual meltdown resulting in shutting the site down for a few days. The last year or so, it was clear it was only a matter of time before someone else would have to put together a decent JA board.

I think the fact that it was more or less a group effort that resulted in ANR speaks volumes to the fact most of us feel more vested in the group we've managed to keep together and have a lot more tolerance and respect for each other now.
sonny kept saying how difficult it is to run a message board and warned hoka and i that we would fuck it up. basically this place is run by neither of us doing shit. it seems to work. :noclue:

Artemis

#63 Post by Artemis » Thu May 16, 2013 4:35 pm

Well, we are all more mature now. I think that makes things easier.
I know sometimes I can get a little carried away with my sock and matress threads, but otherwise, things seem pretty mellow here.

Juana

#64 Post by Juana » Thu May 16, 2013 4:40 pm

Well also when it was needed a lot of us chipped in to help keep it running with the pay pal deal. I think the big key is that while we can have bickering we're all pretty civil in most things. So Creep and Hoka really don't have to do too much.

CaseyContrarian

#65 Post by CaseyContrarian » Thu May 16, 2013 4:47 pm

Can we please get back to talking about how Eric Avery is an idiot for spending a year touring with Garbage (one of the most featherweight, faux-alternative, manufactured bands of the '90s) but wimps out on the reinvention of one of the most potent bands of that period (in a lineup where the singular awesomeness of the players rivals most groups working today)?

Because it's fucking lame. I swear, if I hear he's touring with Alanis or Garbage or whatever at any point in my natural born life, I'll... I'll... I'll write my Congressman!

creep
Site Admin

#66 Post by creep » Thu May 16, 2013 4:50 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote:Can we please get back to talking about how Eric Avery is an idiot for spending a year touring with Garbage (one of the most featherweight, faux-alternative, manufactured bands of the '90s) but wimps out on the reinvention of one of the most potent bands of that period (in a lineup where the singular awesomeness of the players rivals most groups working today)?

Because it's fucking lame. I swear, if I hear he's touring with Alanis or Garbage or whatever at any point in my natural born life, I'll... I'll... I'll write my Congressman!
maybe etty knows something and he was asked to leave. this makes more sense. he isn't a technically great bass player and maybe he was having trouble keeping up. remember when he was going to work with the smashing pumkins...didn't that last a week? :noclue:

CaseyContrarian

#67 Post by CaseyContrarian » Thu May 16, 2013 4:50 pm

I think he's scared. Trent has a vision and knows how to execute. Eric makes middling "electronic" music that would've sounded weak 15 years ago. Have fun with the film soundtracks.

God, I'm starting to see Perry's point of view.

Artemis

#68 Post by Artemis » Thu May 16, 2013 4:53 pm

I must admit I was really surprised. Careerwise, I think it's a fool move. Sure, his reasons sound reasonable , but I think it's a wasted opportunity.

Adrian Belew is into it...I've been reading his posts on fb.
Adrian Belew
April 29
today started with an excellent conference call with trent and the entire band. it was all about our work method and how we will manage the monumental work load. it will be a TON of head scratching, but worth every minute!
back in the lab: the red panda particle pedal is an instant winner for anyone looking for an intergalactic lovefest kind
of sound. I can see it doing well somewhere in our show.
more boxes are arriving daily. I'll keep you posted...
Adrian Belew
8 hours ago via mobile
for those who care about such guitar trivia: after one week of rehearsal I have determined a drop D tuning will be my standard tuning. it fits NIN music better than standard tuning. I have also developed an alternate tuning for what I call "swarm guitar", the big humming guitar sound Trent often favors. that tuning will remain secret for the moment. back to work!

CaseyContrarian

#69 Post by CaseyContrarian » Thu May 16, 2013 5:04 pm

Artemis wrote:I must admit I was really surprised. Careerwise, I think it's a fool move. Sure, his reasons sound reasonable , but I think it's a wasted opportunity.
There's nothing reasonable about touring Garbage and quitting NIN. I mean, Trent is gonna record. They're reinventing repertoire. Adrian fucking Belew.

It's one thing to bail on Jane's. Perry is an out-of-touch goofball who dresses like Liberace and can't perform his old material (or write much new of any worth). He wants to put on flaky caberet shows with his wife pole dancing. He thinks he's got brilliant ideas about the music industry, which amount to "viral" videos of his rich guy lifestyle and chintzy marketing opportunities that further diminish an already weakened brand.

Trent, on the other hand, is still near to the top of his game, is an academy award winning composer, commands the respect of his peers, sells out wherever he performs and follows through on some pretty revolutionary experiments in music distribution.

But maybe Butch Vig will call again in another five years.

Juana

#70 Post by Juana » Thu May 16, 2013 5:14 pm

Sure he pissed away an opportunity but it was his to piss away. Would I have walked away, probably not but everyone is different. And not everyone can handle working with someone like Trent. IE: Maynard with the tapeworm project.

CaseyContrarian

#71 Post by CaseyContrarian » Thu May 16, 2013 5:22 pm

Juana wrote:Sure he pissed away an opportunity but it was his to piss away. Would I have walked away, probably not but everyone is different. And not everyone can handle working with someone like Trent. IE: Maynard with the tapeworm project.
That doesn't mean it's not fucking pathetic and stupid. He won't have the opportunity to perform or record with musicians of this caliber (and renown) ever again in his lifetime, I guarantee it.

It was sad that the JA 1.0 lineup couldn't have gotten its shit together, but it probably wouldn't have been very good anyway, for reasons I surely don't have to get into.

This lineup of NIN, however, will be not only interesting, but probably redefining for an act at this stage in its career. Eric could've been a part of that. I get that Trent is intense, but he's had a number of long-term collaborators. I'm pretty sure that if he wanted Eric's bass aesthetic, he knew what to do with it.

Maybe Eric ISN'T technically up for it. Lord knows there's nothing he's recorded in this latest batch of songs that impresses me musically or sonically.

Pandemonium

#72 Post by Pandemonium » Thu May 16, 2013 5:27 pm

creep wrote:remember when he was going to work with the smashing pumkins...didn't that last a week? :noclue:
Eric and Billy? Hmm. I'm probably the only one here who isn't familiar with this deal. What, did Billy want Eric to wear a women's dress and no top? Anyone care to elaborate?

creep
Site Admin

#73 Post by creep » Thu May 16, 2013 5:31 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
creep wrote:remember when he was going to work with the smashing pumkins...didn't that last a week? :noclue:
Eric and Billy? Hmm. I'm probably the only one here who isn't familiar with this deal. What, did Billy want Eric to wear a women's dress and no top? Anyone care to elaborate?
who knows but from eric
i explored the time with the pumpkins as a possible new member. i wasnt interested in learning songs and touring. when it turned into that we parted ways. money, as it always does, only clarified what we all wanted and didnt want. i know this is a little cryptic but i am concerned about peoples privacy, and about presenting only one side of a story in such matters. the short answer is billy was not looking for someone like me for that job.

someguy

#74 Post by someguy » Thu May 16, 2013 6:00 pm

creep wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:
who knows but from eric
i explored the time with the pumpkins as a possible new member. i wasnt interested in learning songs and touring. when it turned into that we parted ways. money, as it always does, only clarified what we all wanted and didnt want. i know this is a little cryptic but i am concerned about peoples privacy, and about presenting only one side of a story in such matters. the short answer is billy was not looking for someone like me for that job.
This might provide some more clarity on Eric working with people- from bass player magazine October 2005:

On why he didn't join Peter Murphy's band in 2000:

"Generally I'm interested in being either a hired gun- where I'm playing bass the way I would build a chair- or a creative element in the band, where I'm involved in a substantial way. I'm not interested in the middle ground, which is what Peter was offering. I told him, if he wanted to write and be creative with me as a peer, then sure, I'm in. If he wanted a bass player, then he could finds someone else. More power to him- that's fine, but I'm not in."

No middle ground for him... I can totally see Corgan offering him that kind of gig. I think Trent knows better that to spin it that way, and Eric knew what he was getting himself into

kv

#75 Post by kv » Thu May 16, 2013 6:01 pm

i wasnt interested in learning songs and touring.
could be the same thing here again

Juana

#76 Post by Juana » Thu May 16, 2013 6:03 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote:
Juana wrote:Sure he pissed away an opportunity but it was his to piss away. Would I have walked away, probably not but everyone is different. And not everyone can handle working with someone like Trent. IE: Maynard with the tapeworm project.
That doesn't mean it's not fucking pathetic and stupid. He won't have the opportunity to perform or record with musicians of this caliber (and renown) ever again in his lifetime, I guarantee it.
Eric has a lot of cred amongst musicians most of the people in Austin that know him love the man so I wouldn't sell him short. Yes his latest output has been lacking but I have felt everything after Decon was crap. Perhaps its just easier for him at this point to go tour with Garbage for a year and then dick around for a few years until he needs money again. He was already part of something new and exciting and at the time revolutionary, maybe he is not geeked on that, or maybe Trent saw his heart wasn't really in it and fired him.

Judging from Belew's comments about the dropped tuning, maybe Eric didn't want to tune down again like he did on NINJA tour?

JOEinPHX

#77 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu May 16, 2013 6:39 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
His lack of action against people for negative reviews does not equal "enabling a culture of hate"

We're all responsible for our own actions. Positive or Negative.

JOEinPHX

#78 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu May 16, 2013 6:40 pm

creep wrote:
CaseyContrarian wrote:Can we please get back to talking about how Eric Avery is an idiot for spending a year touring with Garbage (one of the most featherweight, faux-alternative, manufactured bands of the '90s) but wimps out on the reinvention of one of the most potent bands of that period (in a lineup where the singular awesomeness of the players rivals most groups working today)?

maybe etty knows something and he was asked to leave. this makes more sense. he isn't a technically great bass player and maybe he was having trouble keeping up. remember when he was going to work with the smashing pumkins...didn't that last a week? :noclue:
He was only writing with Billy, he didn't join to tour.

JOEinPHX

#79 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu May 16, 2013 6:47 pm

Maynard didn't leave Tapeworm.

Trent pulled the plug because he thought the group of people who were working together should have had come up with something better. He thought it was merely "good", but not "great" like it should have been.

Maynard took some of the songs to A Perfect Circle and Puscifer and reworked them, with Trent's blessing.

The 2 that have been released are:

APC - Passive
Puscifer - Potions

kv

#80 Post by kv » Thu May 16, 2013 6:49 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:
His lack of action against people for negative reviews does not equal "enabling a culture of hate"

We're all responsible for our own actions. Positive or Negative.
exactly, amazing how people forget that xiola was the place where people escaped to from the over modding of 1% with eric...so he let more slide because people were flooding over from a strong handed site....sure the hard core trolls got banned (yes he banned me many times but i mostly deserved them) but he pretty much let people be.....and like has already been said this site runs smoother then xiola solely because we are all 10+ years older then when xiola started

creep
Site Admin

#81 Post by creep » Thu May 16, 2013 6:56 pm

kv wrote:.....and like has already been said this site runs smoother then xiola solely because we are all 10+ years older then when xiola started
and...no one really seems too passionate about jane's anymore. it's over for a majority of us. we care more about mattresses dumped in the street.

elportosurfer9

#82 Post by elportosurfer9 » Thu May 16, 2013 7:36 pm

It could be just as simple as not wanting to go on a long tour and being away from his wife for another year. I know that is less rock in roll but i bet that could be it. I am sure there isn't the money to sling his wife around the world with him. He isn't Perry or Trent in that regard. What can i say i am a romantic. :heart: and i think of things like that.

intertwoven

#83 Post by intertwoven » Thu May 16, 2013 7:49 pm

I'm with Casey on this one. Eric's recent album is the first thing he's done that I haven't enjoyed at all, and now he's pussying out on being in Nine Inch fucking Nails to continue doing stuff like that? Yeah, I'm bummed. But I get it. All the best to him.

Kajicat

#84 Post by Kajicat » Thu May 16, 2013 11:16 pm

farrellgirl99 wrote:and etty is a cunt but we know that :lol:
Pete loves Etty. She is gangster.

Matz

#85 Post by Matz » Fri May 17, 2013 1:25 am

CaseyContrarian wrote:
Maybe Eric ISN'T technically up for it. Lord knows there's nothing he's recorded in this latest batch of songs that impresses me musically or sonically.
the music isn't very technical, I doubt that's the reason. When he auditioned for Metallica he was way in over his head in that regard though