Eric leaves NIN or "the breakdown of nyrexall"

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Hokahey
Site Admin

Re: Eric leaves NIN

#41 Post by Hokahey » Wed May 15, 2013 8:49 pm

SR wrote:
hokahey wrote:
tvrec wrote:Related?
Twitter...
"Etty Lau Farrell ‏@EttyLauFarrell
Quit? Well yes, if you use that term loosely, like "fired"."
I guarantee it's related. She follows the goings on of those that have crossed Perry like a hawk.

When Jane's broke up in '04 she did nothing but feed me tid bits about things she had learned about the former members and how poorly they were doing without Perry.

I was to post them as "rumors" from "a source."
Did you?
Yes. 6767 covered a few. Its how I got all the free shit from them, and its why I ultimately sold it all and the site, which I regretted at one point and gave different reasons because I missed my VIP treatment. But again I remembered disliking being their puppet to get treats.

Tyler Durden

#42 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed May 15, 2013 8:52 pm

tubro wrote:a rotund fan
:lol:

Warped

#43 Post by Warped » Wed May 15, 2013 10:43 pm

tubro wrote: sorry for the rant.
I thought it was a good one.

CaseyContrarian

#44 Post by CaseyContrarian » Thu May 16, 2013 4:15 am

Where is Giraffe Tongue or whatever in all this?

If Eric tours with garbage ever again in my life, I will be pretty fucking annoyed.

trevor ayer

#45 Post by trevor ayer » Thu May 16, 2013 6:45 am

i for one am excited for the post nin break up interview with sonny!

i am pretty sure the fight was about trent wanting a copy of the 3 days poem but eric had promised feek he would never share it

realistically trent probably just gave eric douche chills .. plus ke$ha offered eric more money .. they are going to tour with rhianna .. eric and nuno are going to write and record backstage .. perry is gonna be way more jealous than he already is .. etty is learning bass cuz chaney is getting too expensive for the fairground circuit

SR

#46 Post by SR » Thu May 16, 2013 6:55 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
That was unnecessary.

kv

#47 Post by kv » Thu May 16, 2013 6:56 am

trevor ayer wrote:i for one am excited for the post nin break up interview with sonny!

i am pretty sure the fight was about trent wanting a copy of the 3 days poem but eric had promised feek he would never share it

realistically trent probably just gave eric douche chills .. plus ke$ha offered eric more money .. they are going to tour with rhianna .. eric and nuno are going to write and record backstage .. perry is gonna be way more jealous than he already is .. etty is learning bass cuz chaney is getting too expensive for the fairground circuit
:dunce:

SR

#48 Post by SR » Thu May 16, 2013 6:56 am

hokahey wrote:
SR wrote:
hokahey wrote:
tvrec wrote:Related?
Twitter...
"Etty Lau Farrell ‏@EttyLauFarrell
Quit? Well yes, if you use that term loosely, like "fired"."
I guarantee it's related. She follows the goings on of those that have crossed Perry like a hawk.

When Jane's broke up in '04 she did nothing but feed me tid bits about things she had learned about the former members and how poorly they were doing without Perry.

I was to post them as "rumors" from "a source."
Did you?
Yes. 6767 covered a few. Its how I got all the free shit from them, and its why I ultimately sold it all and the site, which I regretted at one point and gave different reasons because I missed my VIP treatment. But again I remembered disliking being their puppet to get treats.
I see.

Pandemonium

#49 Post by Pandemonium » Thu May 16, 2013 9:13 am

kv wrote:
trevor ayer wrote:i for one am excited for the post nin break up interview with sonny!

:dunce:
You are being far too polite these days.

CaseyContrarian

#50 Post by CaseyContrarian » Thu May 16, 2013 9:51 am

Seriously, this pisses me off more than Eric leaving Jane's after NINJA. I don't know why, but it does.

Tyler Durden

#51 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu May 16, 2013 10:17 am

CaseyContrarian wrote:Seriously, this pisses me off more than Eric leaving Jane's after NINJA. I don't know why, but it does.
Nahhh...Jane's Addiction (w/Eric) blowing their chance to record a new album with Oscar/Golden Globe/Grammy winner Trent Reznor at the helm is one of the biggest missteps in music history. Those guys thought they fucked things up by disbanding in '91...that was nothing compared to this. Good god. :no:

JOEinPHX

#52 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu May 16, 2013 11:20 am

I do have to say though, this is now the 2nd time Eric has lost a chance to work with Trent.

I'm not sure what's going on in his personal or professional life but you'd think putting some stuff on hold may be worth what comes of it.

perkana

#53 Post by perkana » Thu May 16, 2013 12:38 pm

I guess I'm old and I just don't feel affected by this at all? :noclue:
I think he was pretty clear with his reasons and it's his life so really...

Hokahey
Site Admin

#54 Post by Hokahey » Thu May 16, 2013 12:44 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
CaseyContrarian wrote:Seriously, this pisses me off more than Eric leaving Jane's after NINJA. I don't know why, but it does.
Nahhh...Jane's Addiction (w/Eric) blowing their chance to record a new album with Oscar/Golden Globe/Grammy winner Trent Reznor at the helm is one of the biggest missteps in music history. Those guys thought they fucked things up by disbanding in '91...that was nothing compared to this. Good god. :no:
Truth.

Oh the torture we've endured as fans of this band. :lol:

How often I lamented the lost opportunity by breaking up in '91, only to have them finally reclaim the opportunity to fix it at the last possible moment in their careers, and then dick it all up again.

Pandemonium

#55 Post by Pandemonium » Thu May 16, 2013 12:51 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:I do have to say though, this is now the 2nd time Eric has lost a chance to work with Trent.

I'm not sure what's going on in his personal or professional life but you'd think putting some stuff on hold may be worth what comes of it.
"Working with Trent" in this situation meant a long, grueling tour, which is apparently shaping up to be even longer than originally planned. If it was going straight into a studio and recording a completely new album especially locally in the LA area, yeah there's a solid reason artistically to work with Reznor despite the possible temporary sacrifices to his own career and maybe even personal life versus likely cranking out a song or two for the upcoming "NIN Best Of" record and a no doubt intense, worldwide tour spanning months at a stretch playing the NIN oldies. Under those conditions, I can see Eric's stated reasoning for not doing it, especially after coming off a long worldwide tour with Garbage.

What continues to puzzle me is why he agreed to do it in the first place. Eric clearly knows Trent's work ethic and I'm sure it was made clear from the beginning that Reznor wasn't putting together a bold new incarnation of his band just to play some festival dates over Summer 2013. At this point, I hope Reznor gets someone really unique on bass for this lineup.

SR

#56 Post by SR » Thu May 16, 2013 1:16 pm

True, but Reznor is also notorious for working on new material while touring nails. Saul Williams and Atticus can vouch for this.

Essence_Smith

#57 Post by Essence_Smith » Thu May 16, 2013 2:11 pm

SR wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:
That was unnecessary.
Agreed...I was actually thinking the other day how easy people found it to talk shit about Sonny after he "pulled the plug"...in retrospect I think what he did actually made things work for the better as I have yet to see anything even close to the shit slinging that people did at xiola here on this board...dude paid for us to have a playground for years, which led to a lot of us meeting and becoming friends. At the very least people should appreciate that.

JOEinPHX

#58 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu May 16, 2013 2:26 pm

SR wrote:True, but Reznor is also notorious for working on new material while touring nails. Saul Williams and Atticus can vouch for this.
Exactly.

I think Eric may have gotten overwhelmed at Trent's musical plans, which probably involved practicing old songs, playing them at shows, and recording new stuff. All on the same day.

Eric probably just decided that he likes to sleep more than 3 hours a night. :lol:
Last edited by JOEinPHX on Thu May 16, 2013 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JOEinPHX

#59 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu May 16, 2013 2:32 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:
SR wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:
That was unnecessary.
Agreed...I was actually thinking the other day how easy people found it to talk shit about Sonny after he "pulled the plug"...in retrospect I think what he did actually made things work for the better as I have yet to see anything even close to the shit slinging that people did at xiola here on this board...dude paid for us to have a playground for years, which led to a lot of us meeting and becoming friends. At the very least people should appreciate that.
People weren't mad at sonny for closing the playground. People were mad at sonny for demolishing it in the night and putting up a sign that basically said "Your playground used to be here, but fuck you. I'd rather destroy it and keep the land than sell it to someone who would allow you to keep playing"

He thumbed his nose at us doing it the way he did. No warning. No "would anyone like to be the successor?"

He just held onto it so he could deprive all his supposed "friends" while simultaneously hosting nothing but a quote that shat on Perry.

He's the guy who brought the football to the park, gathered 50 people to play, then took his ball and went home early even though no one else was done.

(i really love metaphors)

Tyler Durden

#60 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu May 16, 2013 3:08 pm

Essence_Smith wrote: Agreed...I was actually thinking the other day how easy people found it to talk shit about Sonny after he "pulled the plug"...in retrospect I think what he did actually made things work for the better as I have yet to see anything even close to the shit slinging that people did at xiola here on this board
It was Sonny who created, funded, enabled, and sometimes even encouraged the culture of "hate" that existed at xiola.org in the first place.

Pandemonium

#61 Post by Pandemonium » Thu May 16, 2013 4:25 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
Essence_Smith wrote: Agreed...I was actually thinking the other day how easy people found it to talk shit about Sonny after he "pulled the plug"...in retrospect I think what he did actually made things work for the better as I have yet to see anything even close to the shit slinging that people did at xiola here on this board
It was Sonny who created, funded, enabled, and sometimes even encouraged the culture of "hate" that existed at xiola.org in the first place.
"Culture of hate" ..... nahhh. We're all adults and responsible for our conduct there or here. I didn't need Sonny to encourage my negative or positive behavior and attitude any more than any anyone else did or does. And just because Sonny was the owner and moderator of his board, didn't mean he has to keep his (often controversial and polarizing) opinions to himself. His former passion for the band worked for but eventually against him objectively running his site. IMO, he deserves a lot of credit for mostly letting his board police itself. You just have to look at JA.org to see what a chilling effect heavy handed moderation can do to a message board.

The only negative thing I can say about the guy was he seemed to be a victim of his own impulsive feelings and would get too drama queen-ish when he'd have his predictable annual meltdown resulting in shutting the site down for a few days. The last year or so, it was clear it was only a matter of time before someone else would have to put together a decent JA board.

I think the fact that it was more or less a group effort that resulted in ANR speaks volumes to the fact most of us feel more vested in the group we've managed to keep together and have a lot more tolerance and respect for each other now.

creep
Site Admin

#62 Post by creep » Thu May 16, 2013 4:30 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:
"Culture of hate" ..... nahhh. We're all adults and responsible for our conduct there or here. I didn't need Sonny to encourage my negative or positive behavior and attitude any more than any anyone else did or does. And just because Sonny was the owner and moderator of his board, didn't mean he has to keep his (often controversial and polarizing) opinions to himself. His former passion for the band worked for but eventually against him objectively running his site. IMO, he deserves a lot of credit for mostly letting his board police itself. You just have to look at JA.org to see what a chilling effect heavy handed moderation can do to a message board.

The only negative thing I can say about the guy was he seemed to be a victim of his own impulsive feelings and would get too drama queen-ish when he'd have his predictable annual meltdown resulting in shutting the site down for a few days. The last year or so, it was clear it was only a matter of time before someone else would have to put together a decent JA board.

I think the fact that it was more or less a group effort that resulted in ANR speaks volumes to the fact most of us feel more vested in the group we've managed to keep together and have a lot more tolerance and respect for each other now.
sonny kept saying how difficult it is to run a message board and warned hoka and i that we would fuck it up. basically this place is run by neither of us doing shit. it seems to work. :noclue:

Artemis

#63 Post by Artemis » Thu May 16, 2013 4:35 pm

Well, we are all more mature now. I think that makes things easier.
I know sometimes I can get a little carried away with my sock and matress threads, but otherwise, things seem pretty mellow here.

Juana

#64 Post by Juana » Thu May 16, 2013 4:40 pm

Well also when it was needed a lot of us chipped in to help keep it running with the pay pal deal. I think the big key is that while we can have bickering we're all pretty civil in most things. So Creep and Hoka really don't have to do too much.

CaseyContrarian

#65 Post by CaseyContrarian » Thu May 16, 2013 4:47 pm

Can we please get back to talking about how Eric Avery is an idiot for spending a year touring with Garbage (one of the most featherweight, faux-alternative, manufactured bands of the '90s) but wimps out on the reinvention of one of the most potent bands of that period (in a lineup where the singular awesomeness of the players rivals most groups working today)?

Because it's fucking lame. I swear, if I hear he's touring with Alanis or Garbage or whatever at any point in my natural born life, I'll... I'll... I'll write my Congressman!