Albums streaming online

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Bandit72

Re: Albums streaming online

#21 Post by Bandit72 » Thu May 23, 2013 1:48 am

This album is fantastic. :thumb:

Warped

#22 Post by Warped » Tue May 28, 2013 10:37 am

Tomorrow, you can stream QOTSA "Like clockwork" here

http://smarturl.it/QOTSAlikeclockwork

Hope it's good.

Bandit72

#23 Post by Bandit72 » Wed May 29, 2013 2:46 am

Warped wrote:Tomorrow, you can stream QOTSA "Like clockwork" here

http://smarturl.it/QOTSAlikeclockwork

Hope it's good.
I'm streaming from iTunes now, and it's very good. Far better than Era Vulgaris. It's a shame Castillo left, but I don't think they can go wrong with Jon Theodore.

Warped

#24 Post by Warped » Wed May 29, 2013 2:57 am

Agreed, i listened to it earlier and i dig it :rockon:

Juana

#25 Post by Juana » Fri May 31, 2013 4:04 pm

Warped wrote:Agreed, i listened to it earlier and i dig it :rockon:

I'm listening to the vinyl right meow

guysmiley

#26 Post by guysmiley » Fri May 31, 2013 8:23 pm

Juana wrote:
Warped wrote:Agreed, i listened to it earlier and i dig it :rockon:

I'm listening to the vinyl right meow
I like it, but I'm a bit disappointed. I mean Grohl's on drums for 6 tracks and yet I feel like anyone could have played those parts. I was hoping for something less reserved. Nick is back and and I hardly can tell. I think Trent did some sort of backup vocal with Mark Lanegan, which I can barely tell they're there. Elton is on there too. I can hear that part at least.

I like the songs, I guess I was expecting Song's for the Deaf or Rated R part 2. I dig the songs though. :noclue:

farrellgirl99

#27 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:15 am

The stand out tracks for me are If I Had a Tail, My God's the Sun, Kalopsia, and I Appear Missing. So good.

I think the whole album is good, but I agree, I don't really hear the influence of Oliveri or Grohl too much.

perkana

#28 Post by perkana » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:39 am

QOTSA show on KCRW's Morning becomes eclectic
http://www.kcrw.com/music/programs/mb/m ... the_stone_

NYRexall

#29 Post by NYRexall » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:49 pm

guysmiley wrote:
I like it, but I'm a bit disappointed. I mean Grohl's on drums for 6 tracks and yet I feel like anyone could have played those parts. I was hoping for something less reserved. Nick is back and and I hardly can tell. I think Trent did some sort of backup vocal with Mark Lanegan, which I can barely tell they're there. Elton is on there too. I can hear that part at least.

I like the songs, I guess I was expecting Song's for the Deaf or Rated R part 2. I dig the songs though. :noclue:
Same here.

I threw down $45 for the vinyl format and I feel jipped. At the very least, only 10 songs after a six year wait feels scant. The songs are good while they're playing and his lyrics are great as usual, but the whole thing doesn't add up to anything magnificent, which is all I expect from Homme these days. He absolutely killed it with Them Crooked Vultures and this is kind of "meh" in comparison. You can't even tell there are guests on these tracks, and he's got a fucking A-list of supporters this time around. WTF

I don't think this album is as good as Era Vulgaris. The songs on Era were WAY more memorable and fully-formed. I can't understand why so many people dump on that record when it's one of the most engaging things he's done under the Queens banner. Highly underrated, in my opinion. Lyrically, melodically, instrumentally...it's all there on that album.

Not so much on this one.

Juana

#30 Post by Juana » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:29 pm

NYRexall wrote:
guysmiley wrote:

Same here.

I threw down $45 for the vinyl format and I feel jipped. At the very least, only 10 songs after a six year wait feels scant. The songs are good while they're playing and his lyrics are great as usual, but the whole thing doesn't add up to anything magnificent, which is all I expect from Homme these days. He absolutely killed it with Them Crooked Vultures and this is kind of "meh" in comparison. You can't even tell there are guests on these tracks, and he's got a fucking A-list of supporters this time around. WTF

I don't think this album is as good as Era Vulgaris. The songs on Era were WAY more memorable and fully-formed. I can't understand why so many people dump on that record when it's one of the most engaging things he's done under the Queens banner. Highly underrated, in my opinion. Lyrically, melodically, instrumentally...it's all there on that album.

Not so much on this one.
I look at it like this (though I'm biased since I didn't pay for it) this is Homme's solo album basically. All the songs seem to really speak to him trying to make his "Bowie" album. First listen it was alright but then I listened to it a few more times with head phones and was into this record. Only reason I took it out was last week I got The White Mandingos advance and gave that a bunch of spins, then went back to this QOSTA record. Its not their best but its my favorite since Rated R.

NYRexall

#31 Post by NYRexall » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:55 pm

I see where you are coming from. That's all I've heard about, is the tumult that surrounded this album, and how he was channeling his inner-Bowie. Thing is, if he wanted to do the solo thing, just do the solo thing. If he releases anything under the Queens name, it will naturally send expectations skyward. And I just can't really get over how unimpressionable the guest list is on ...LC. From Grohl's drums to Elton's Piano to Lanegan's buried vocals, it really does sound like Homme in a room with a bunch of session players behind him.

I too have been listening to it with headphones, and I'm not disowning it by any means. Some of the songs are growing on me with every spin.

But just like I can't understand the overall disdain for Era Vulgaris, I can't understand the high praise that Rated R always gets. To me, that's his weakest shit ever. It sounds like a fucking EP of b-sides slapped together in the time between the mighty self-titled and SFTD. I even put Like Clockwork over it at this point.

Bandit72

#32 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:05 am

Songs for the Deaf is the masterpiece end of. It is widely said that you can get lost in that album for months on end and that is true.

NYRexall

#33 Post by NYRexall » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:26 am

Oh man. I was driving through the desert on a solo road trip at the end of last year and was blasting SFTD. Self-titled and EV, to a lesser extent also, but Songs For The Deaf multiple times over the course of a few days. That album is like a soundtrack for the desert, it's true.

I wouldn't touch Rated R while I was out there though. Nor the Lullabies to Paralyze album. It's too "woodsy" :noclue:

Juana

#34 Post by Juana » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:36 am

NYRexall wrote:Oh man. I was driving through the desert on a solo road trip at the end of last year and was blasting SFTD. Self-titled and EV, to a lesser extent also, but Songs For The Deaf multiple times over the course of a few days. That album is like a soundtrack for the desert, it's true.

I wouldn't touch Rated R while I was out there though. Nor the Lullabies to Paralyze album. It's too "woodsy" :noclue:
I didn't say Rated R was the best I said it was my favorite. Its what got me into QOTSA so its always going to be my favorite over SFTD. The thing is Queens Of The Stone Age is Josh's band. Think about all the rotations in the line up the only constant from the start is Josh. So this is basically his solo project after Kyuss. I think Josh has modes when making records and right now he is in Bowie mode. He has made his Bowie record and now he can revisit SFTD type shit as I believe while basically a solo record Like Clockwork helped him finish his arch, now he can go back to the bread and butter when the next record comes out.

EDIT: left something out

NYRexall

#35 Post by NYRexall » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:44 am

No doubt. I wasn’t pigeonholing you specifically on the whole Rated R thing. I remember when that album came out and the Monsters In the Parasol video was all over MTV2. People were going on and on about how great the album was and then I heard it and I’m like “Huh?!”

Then SFTD came out a few years later and it was like discovering an entirely different band. Rated R just sounds minuscule to me, compared to everything else he’s done. I’m by no means shitting on it for being your favorite or anything.

Juana

#36 Post by Juana » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:23 am

No worries I was just explaining my high regard for one of the weaker albums (overall from everyone else's thoughts on it). I like that the albums give different vibes like you said "desert" and "woodsy".

NYRexall

#37 Post by NYRexall » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:36 am

Palms (2013)

Chino from Deftones and 3/4 of Isis

http://www.spin.com/articles/stream-pal ... pintwitter

Definitely smoking out to this stuff when it shows up in the post.

farrellgirl99

#38 Post by farrellgirl99 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:38 am

NYRexall wrote:Palms (2013)

Ooh what a nice surprise, I didn't know this was supposed to be out yet :rockon:

wally

#39 Post by wally » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:49 am

NYRexall wrote:Palms (2013)

digging this. thanks for posting

Matz

#40 Post by Matz » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:42 am

sounds pretty cool, but it's like Chino's re-using vocal melodies from time to time imo :noclue:

krakle

#41 Post by krakle » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:42 pm

Bosnian Rainbows:

http://www.npr.org/2013/06/16/191298046 ... n-rainbows

Definitely not my favourite band but this album has some good tracks (basically the tracks on their bandcamp, http://bosnianrainbows.bandcamp.com/alb ... rainbows-2)
I like Omar Rodriguez-Lopez's playing on this record. Will probably pick it up when they're playing behind my house during this summer's tour.

perkana

#42 Post by perkana » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:02 am

perkana

#43 Post by perkana » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:10 am

Fuck Buttons, David Lynch, Pet Shop Boys, and More
http://www.spin.com/articles/10-albums- ... infacebook

perkana

#44 Post by perkana » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:18 am

Matov

#45 Post by Matov » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:52 am

New Pearl Jam
http://www.musicasparaouvir.org/pearl-j ... bolt-2013/

It's also streaming on itunes but i'm going with this link because fuck the man :noclue: