Living Colour

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
SR

Living Colour

#1 Post by SR » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:33 pm

http://www.theelrey.com/calendar.php?y=2013&m=3

:rockon:

25th "vivid" anniversary show. :oldtimer:

Pandemonium

Re: Living Colour

#2 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:56 pm

SR wrote:http://www.theelrey.com/calendar.php?y=2013&m=3

El Ray would be a great place to see them. I saw them twice at the Hollywood Palladium in '88 and '92 and opening for the Rolling Stones and Guns n' Roses in '89. The '88 Palladium show when they had just released "Vivid" was an excellent show, very rowdy audience. I lost interest in them after their 3rd album and while I heard they reunited around 2000, I have no idea who's in or out of the band these days.

SR

#3 Post by SR » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:10 pm

Pandemonium wrote:

El Ray would be a great place to see them. I saw them twice at the Hollywood Palladium in '88 and '92 and opening for the Rolling Stones and Guns n' Roses in '89. The '88 Palladium show when they had just released "Vivid" was an excellent show, very rowdy audience. I lost interest in them after their 3rd album and while I heard they reunited around 2000, I have no idea who's in or out of the band these days.
All the same, but muzz skillings on bass who was replaced by Doug wimbish (who replaced wyman in the stones for a while) some time ago. I looked up the venue and it looks perfect for them. I saw them at the key club after 'chair in the doorway' was released a few years ago. It was excellent. I too saw them open for gnr and 91 lolla. Too at the palladium in the mid 90's. will Calhoun is in the top 5 drummers I've ever seen (or heard) and Vernon is still on top of his game. I'll be there. 30 bucks well spent.

Matz

#4 Post by Matz » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:24 am

I'd like to see them live, they're pretty badass musicians

SR

#5 Post by SR » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:24 am

Yes, Matz.....I agree. I have never been floored by their 'show', but the musicianship more than makes up for it. Additionally, their show a couple of years ago was very intimate. Wimbish jumped down in the crowd and played through half a song and after the last song they encouraged everyone to stick around as they were coming down to the floor to say hello.

thoreau

#6 Post by thoreau » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:40 am

SR wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:

All the same, but muzz skillings on bass who was replaced by Doug wimbish (who replaced wyman in the stones for a while) some time ago. I looked up the venue and it looks perfect for them. I saw them at the key club after 'chair in the doorway' was released a few years ago. It was excellent. I too saw them open for gnr and 91 lolla. Too at the palladium in the mid 90's. will Calhoun is in the top 5 drummers I've ever seen (or heard) and Vernon is still on top of his game. I'll be there. 30 bucks well spent.
What SR said, and also the couple of albums they've released since reuniting have been pretty good. I think my favorite since the reunion has been "The Chair in the Doorway".

Corey Glove still has a set of pipes on him, although I'm glad he's not wearing the Body Glove wetsuits on stage anymore. :hehe:

SR

#7 Post by SR » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:48 am

True on CG. The night my kiddo and I saw LC on the CITD tour, my friend was hangin out with AK. He mentioned we were going and apparently AK asked about the singer, trying to remember his name. I very well might be reading too much into that, but it seemed to me he respects people who actually have the goods. :lol:

Essence_Smith

#8 Post by Essence_Smith » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:32 pm

LC is always a great show imo...one of the craziest pits I've ever been in was during the break down during Cult of Personality when I saw em in 2000... LOVE their second album Time's Up...they tore UP the Grammy's the year they won for that album... :rockon:

edit: BIG props goes to the Rolling Stones for getting LC as their opening act back in the day as well as Perry of course for the first Lolla...

SR

#9 Post by SR » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:26 pm

Tonight at the El Rey.....can't wait. :rockon:

thoreau

#10 Post by thoreau » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:43 pm

SR wrote:Tonight at the El Rey.....can't wait. :rockon:
Let us know how it goes! :thumb:

Essence_Smith

#11 Post by Essence_Smith » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:46 pm

SR wrote:Tonight at the El Rey.....can't wait. :rockon:
Enjoy! Vernon never seems to have a bad night...

SR

#12 Post by SR » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:40 am

I have loved this band since the late 80's, but I have never been an advocate for their live show. Vernon is usually statue like and CG had become like this in recent years. I expected a smooth and respectable delivery of the old tunes that I love so much, but got so much more.

Vernon was all over the place. Very uncharacteristic behavior.....he was clowning it up, animated and engaging on a personal level with the audience, and Wimbish was far lest austere. CG was possessed by it all and both in charge and equally pushing the others to share the 'spotlight'. BY FAR, the best LC show I have ever seen. Every song killed it....they opened with a Robert Johnson cover, which was insane and beautiful, but other hightlights were:

Amazing Grace/Open Letter to a Landlord
Broken Hearts (my fave from Vivid, and my fave of the night)
Love Rears it's Ugly Head
Middle Man
Desperate People

The level of musicianship has only increased. Really, it was a special night where it was refreshing to see some old fucks do serious justice to their portfolio and their fans. I wish Panda had been there for the type of review that would do it justice. :rockon:

SR

#13 Post by SR » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:09 am

A couple of additional thoughts....Wimbish did things on the bass that were hard to describe from a laymans pov. His solo was guitar like and flawless, and he treated the bass like a slide in a few parts of the show.

And CG's voice was nothing short of sublime. I can't believe that after all these years and recent tireless touring that he can maintain that level, but he does and only gets better.

I paid 30 bucks a ticket. If any of you find yrselves in a position to see them on the east coast, treat yrself. You won't regret it.

Philly, Boston, NY, and Ontario are all in April to wrap up this tour.

Pandemonium

#14 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:59 am

SR wrote:I have loved this band since the late 80's, but I have never been an advocate for their live show. Vernon is usually statue like and CG had become like this in recent years. I expected a smooth and respectable delivery of the old tunes that I love so much, but got so much more.

Vernon was all over the place. Very uncharacteristic behavior.....he was clowning it up, animated and engaging on a personal level with the audience, and Wimbish was far lest austere. CG was possessed by it all and both in charge and equally pushing the others to share the 'spotlight'. BY FAR, the best LC show I have ever seen. Every song killed it....they opened with a Robert Johnson cover, which was insane and beautiful, but other hightlights were:

Amazing Grace/Open Letter to a Landlord
Broken Hearts (my fave from Vivid, and my fave of the night)
Love Rears it's Ugly Head
Middle Man
Desperate People

The level of musicianship has only increased. Really, it was a special night where it was refreshing to see some old fucks do serious justice to their portfolio and their fans. I wish Panda had been there for the type of review that would do it justice. :rockon:
Sounds like a great show, wish I could have gone but it's been a family get-together weekend and I knew weeks ago that I wouldn't be able to get away for this gig. Did they play Solace Of You?

SR

#15 Post by SR » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:15 pm

No Solice of You, but as much as I love that song....I didn't miss it until you asked.

kv

#16 Post by kv » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:04 pm

what RJ cover?

SR

#17 Post by SR » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:33 pm

Preachin' Blues

Essence_Smith

#18 Post by Essence_Smith » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:09 pm

SR wrote:A couple of additional thoughts....Wimbish did things on the bass that were hard to describe from a laymans pov. His solo was guitar like and flawless, and he treated the bass like a slide in a few parts of the show.

And CG's voice was nothing short of sublime. I can't believe that after all these years and recent tireless touring that he can maintain that level, but he does and only gets better.

I paid 30 bucks a ticket. If any of you find yrselves in a position to see them on the east coast, treat yrself. You won't regret it.

Philly, Boston, NY, and Ontario are all in April to wrap up this tour.
I saw them for free at Central Park years ago and I would NEVER in a million years have thought they were anything but animated onstage...Vernon has loosened up a lot since the 90's I think...Wimbish is a monster and Corey still brings it...they have some great taste in covers as well...when I saw em it was 41 Shots by Springsteen and Power of Love by Band of Gypsys and they killed on both...glad it was a good time. Can't make it out to see em next week, but I will see them during their Wrestlemania appearance on Sunday... :hehe:

SR

#19 Post by SR » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:51 am

October 4th at the Roxy. :rockon:

Saw them at Lolla 91 and they were horrible. Seen them 4 or 5 times since, but a couple of years ago at the El Rey was by far the best show ever. Vernon was actually relaxed and smiling. Wimbish is a vastly underrated bassist. Amazing band!

Essence_Smith

#20 Post by Essence_Smith » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:43 pm

Funny you bumped this up, I've been listening to Time's Up all week long...they're going to be in NYC in November and I think I'm definitely going to take a few younger relatives to see a real world class band...my little cuz who's 22 went to see Slayer recently and got roughed up in the cheap seats...I told him that's what he got for turning down my offer to see LC together last time they were here... :lol:

SR

#21 Post by SR » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:57 pm

"Shade" will be out in the fall. This has to be the hardest working band on the sphere. I seriously don't think they have stopped touring and recording for 5 years straight.

They were at their very best the last time I saw them. No where close to their own cover band. :lol:

CaseyContrarian

#22 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:02 am

SR wrote:October 4th at the Roxy. :rockon:

Saw them at Lolla 91 and they were horrible. Seen them 4 or 5 times since, but a couple of years ago at the El Rey was by far the best show ever. Vernon was actually relaxed and smiling. Wimbish is a vastly underrated bassist. Amazing band!
Same. Saw them on their own around the same time, and they weren't great then, either. Way better live band these days. Much respect.

For the record, Mick Jagger discovered LC and helped get attention of the label. I wonder if he still keeps tabs.

Mescal

#23 Post by Mescal » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:14 pm

Is Wimbish underrated?

He's really good though. As all the musicians in LC are

SR

#24 Post by SR » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:51 am

CaseyContrarian wrote:
SR wrote:October 4th at the Roxy. :rockon:

Same. Saw them on their own around the same time, and they weren't great then, either. Way better live band these days. Much respect.

For the record, Mick Jagger discovered LC and helped get attention of the label. I wonder if he still keeps tabs.
I think so.....he was instrumental for their early days.....if I am not mistaken, he co produced Vivid? Anyways, he got them global attention when he booked them to open on the stadium tour in 88?

And on a related Jagger note, he produced the new James Brown film. It was a flawed film. :nod:

SR

#25 Post by SR » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:54 am

Mescal wrote:Is Wimbish underrated?

He's really good though. As all the musicians in LC are
I think so....I mean there really isn't a big bass guitar lobby out there keeping track. I think within the cloistered world of savvy and accomplished players he's well regarded.

Another nexus between LC and The Stones......when Wyman retired, Wimbish was the original replacement. :nod: