12-12-12 concert

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Romeo

Re: 12-12-12 concert

#101 Post by Romeo » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:02 pm

as far as the ease of filing, inspections and accessibility of FEMA, yes there was an improvement over Katrina.

Denying your claims.....the same. I know a friend in Howard Beach who lived in a basement apt....had 5' of water in her apt. Lost everything she owned and was told by FEMA "not significant damage". Her claim denied.
Well, they're about to roll out FEMA trailers for those who's houses were red tagged. We'll see if they are trailers of formaldehyde

creep
Site Admin

#102 Post by creep » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:14 pm

i looked at some of the auction items from the concert and i found it funny that every single item has bids on it except for kanye's sweatshirt. it says estimated value is $50,000 and the bid is 0. fuck that guy

http://www.charitybuzz.com/auctions/121 ... alog_items

LJF

#103 Post by LJF » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:18 pm

creep wrote:i looked at some of the auction items from the concert and i found it funny that every single item has bids on it except for kanye's sweatshirt. it says estimated value is $50,000 and the bid is 0. fuck that guy

$50k for a sweatshirt, where did they come up with that number. I bet we could raise $50k to never have him show his face again.

blackula

#104 Post by blackula » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:28 pm

creep wrote:i looked at some of the auction items from the concert and i found it funny that every single item has bids on it except for kanye's sweatshirt. it says estimated value is $50,000 and the bid is 0. fuck that guy

Right on, I can agree with you on that one!

My dislike concerning this event is basically what Romeo has said. FEMA is around, but you hear different things from different FEMA representatives and then they decline you. Also, all flood insurance policies are written by FEMA and they are not paying out nearly enough to cover the cost of repairs. There are still a lot of people who have done nothing since the storm because they can't find anyone and they can't pay anyone because the flood claims are taking 3-4 months to pay out. That means that 6 weeks later their house is now a moldy cesspool that was flooded with ocean water and sewage. Volunteers are going around and gutting houses, but there are too many. I'm not saying Mick Jagger should be out performing manual labor. I'm not unhappy with certain performances and I don't care about hip-ness. It could've been Bon Iver and the Tupac hologram, it's still a grandstanding publicity stunt to me. These people, the ones who really need help will see nothing from this.

Hopefully I'm wrong and we all receive help and the 70% of businesses that are still closed get some help from this. I doubt it.

creep
Site Admin

#105 Post by creep » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:36 pm

blackula wrote:

Right on, I can agree with you on that one!

My dislike concerning this event is basically what Romeo has said. FEMA is around, but you hear different things from different FEMA representatives and then they decline you. Also, all flood insurance policies are written by FEMA and they are not paying out nearly enough to cover the cost of repairs. There are still a lot of people who have done nothing since the storm because they can't find anyone and they can't pay anyone because the flood claims are taking 3-4 months to pay out. That means that 6 weeks later their house is now a moldy cesspool that was flooded with ocean water and sewage. Volunteers are going around and gutting houses, but there are too many. I'm not saying Mick Jagger should be out performing manual labor. I'm not unhappy with certain performances and I don't care about hip-ness. It could've been Bon Iver and the Tupac hologram, it's still a grandstanding publicity stunt to me. These people, the ones who really need help will see nothing from this.

Hopefully I'm wrong and we all receive help and the 70% of businesses that are still closed get some help from this. I doubt it.
grandstanding or not they got the word out to nearly two billion people. celebrities are not going to help you guys and from what you said the govt isn't helping much. if people all over the world who watched that show help then why bash it.

the charity that got the money gives 100% of the money to local organizations. of course you can't police all of them and i'm sure some of the money may be wasted but why say that this was the wrong thing? once it's all done and the final amount is reported i'm sure many people will get help from this. will it be everyone...no but it's better than doing nothing.

talking shit about the concert itself is fine but the purpose of it was well intentioned.

clickie

#106 Post by clickie » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:41 pm

Creep, its only the new yorkers who are disgruntled at this good deed...They lived through it so their opinion means something.

creep
Site Admin

#107 Post by creep » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:43 pm

clickie wrote:Creep, its only the new yorkers who are disgruntled at this good deed...They lived through it so their opinion means something.
and donating to a charity for most of us non new yorkers is the only way we can help. it's like anyone that donated to this is like the cop that gave the homeless guy the boots.

clickie

#108 Post by clickie » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:53 pm

thats a perfect analogy..

creep
Site Admin

#109 Post by creep » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:56 pm

clickie wrote:thats a perfect analogy..
thanks

clickie is on my dick tonight. quick find some more threads to talk shit. i just posted in the etty thread if you want to go there.

Romeo

#110 Post by Romeo » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:04 am

And NY'ers (or NJ) people dealing with it everyday are also constantly giving. Either in sweat equity or in donations & $$$.

I've given at LEAST $200 in new unwrapped toys to LB Toys drive, which was completely organic on FB. Started by 2 young Long Beach girls
http://longbeach.patch.com/groups/edito ... e-holidays
(Blackula you should take your kid there this weekend)

Everyday on FB the Oceanside relief Sandy page posts people willing to donate a new toddler bed or electric heater to someone or the Long Beach Sandy relief page is looking for volunteers to help
demo or if anyone with an electrical background to help someone out and the three towns(Oceanside, Long Beach & Freeport) cross reference and repost each other when one has a need.
I've donated my time in my town and in Island Park. It's just what we do, neighbor helping neighbor.

But money? No one will ever see that money generated from the concert. We are almost 2 months in.

Blackula, if you see Eddie Vedder down in the West End digging 2' of sand out of someone's living room, call me!! :lol:

mockbee

#111 Post by mockbee » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:34 am

What would be awesome, since I can't imagine Mick Jagger demo'ing or digging sludge out of a home...... :lol: , is for those performers to do a series of shows at Nassau or something and bus people in for free who live there and give them a break, something to look forward to. Sure....I know....they don't have to do that, they did the MSG thing instead. I am just thinking of something that might actually help the people who live there get through it all..........

Cutting checks to the public just doesn't happen with huge charities, and obviously the relief agencies are not equipped to handle thousands of effectively destroyed homes and infrastructure in shambles.

We have the resources, there just seems to be an extreme disconnect from the service provided and the need.

This will happen again in the US, we need to brainstorm a better way to handle these things.......

mockbee

#112 Post by mockbee » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:49 am

I heard something on the news that Electricians from neighboring counties are not allowed in to do work in effected communities because of licensing stipulations. Is that still the case?

Sounds like greed and dinosaur bureaucracy to me. Money doesn't solve that problem....well I suppose there is money as grease, but I don't think people donating would approve of such expenditures.

Romeo

#113 Post by Romeo » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:46 am

I think what you heard might of been that LIPA (the electric company) wasn't allowing out of state electricians who weren't union workers to work. But that was a rumor.
As far as I know I can hire a NYC licensed electrician from Queens even though I live in Nassau County. The tricky thing might be if you need to file any paperwork to the Nassau county building inspectors :noclue:

I certainly do not expect a check delivered to every single person. What I expect is....if you know of a people who can't afford a new heating system and was denied FEMA...PAY THE DAMN CONTRACTOR TO INSTALL IT. Or give the money to the School districts to get the schools that were damaged opened, or the books that were lost replaced. OR the small business owner who didn't have flood or loss of business insurance (because they will be forced to go out of business) It's so much bureaucratic bullshit going on...

LJF

#114 Post by LJF » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:45 am

where I live we had tree service people show up from all over. People would not on our doors and ask if we wanted them to cut down, clean up and grind the trees. The local guys lost a lot of business because they were so much more expensive. I had people from all over NJ, NY, CT, Iowa, Michigan and NC come over to my house to ask for work.

It sucks no damage to the house so all of this is on my dime. I've been out with the chainsaw cutting what I can, but a lot of it I can't deal with, like trees hanging on other trees. Also we decide to take out a few trees that are close to the house. I've heard of people having trouble with insurance to cover things hit by trees.

As far as the concert. I think these groups are trying to help. But just like anything else where there are too many hands in the pie the money doesn't always get to where it needs to. I don't think you can fault the groups for that. It will also bring the spotlight back on the victims of the hurricane which is always a good thing. As soons as the spotlight leaves people forget and the people really needing the help are left.

By the way Romeo what you are doing is the best, by helping directly.

Romeo

#115 Post by Romeo » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:17 pm

I personally like the home grown do it yourself attitude so many people have taken.
I think that when something does finally get accomplished there is a sense of pride.

clickie

#116 Post by clickie » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:54 pm

That new song from Paul is pretty badass...

Essence_Smith

#117 Post by Essence_Smith » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:29 am

Just stumbled onto this thread and I watched the show that night soooooooo...

I think people need to remember that it's the thought that counts... highlight for me was the McCartney/Nirvana thing since I had NO idea they were planning that...completely missed Kayne set, though something tells me it wasn't as bad as ya'll are saying...that outfit was ridiculous though...the Stones did well, I liked the Billy Joel set since as Pand said the musicianship can't be denied...

As for where the money went/goes...that's the thing with donating to ANY charity imo...you're taking a chance in some way with good hopes...thankfully this disaster has definitely pulled the local people together and people over here are helping one another...bottom line is people showed they cared and we got to see a huge assembly of talent for a good cause...stop complaining...help your neighbors...

Artemis

#118 Post by Artemis » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:42 pm

[quote="Essence_Smith"...completely missed Kayne set, though something tells me it wasn't as bad as ya'll are saying...that outfit was ridiculous though..[/quote]

the outfit wasn't as ridiculous as his shitty set.

seriously, it was terrible. for me, it was excruciating to watch.
thankfully he had that silly meggings outfit on or whateve that ensemble was to distract viewers. :lol:

Essence_Smith

#119 Post by Essence_Smith » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:51 pm

I watched about 10 minutes...not that bad & I've seen worse, but he was pretty flat...not a very inspired set and one that shows the importance of a good "hype man" at rap shows...you know those guys who shout the yeahs and yo's in the background... :lol:

Pandemonium

#120 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:53 am

The details for the soundtrack to Dave Grohl’s upcoming documentary “Sound City” have been released. The tracklist includes contributions from Trent Reznor, Josh Homme, Alain Johannes, Stevie Nicks, and more. The album also includes the song “Cut Me Some Slack,” performed by the surviving members of Nirvana and Paul McCartney. The new track “Cut Me Some Slack” will begin radio airplay on Sunday, December 16.

The soundtrack, entitled “Sound City: Real to Reel,” will be released on Roswell Records on March 12, 2013, while the film is set for release on February 1, 2013.

1. Dave Grohl, Peter Hayes, and Robert Levon Been – Heaven and All
2. Brad Wilk, Chris Goss, Dave Grohl, and Tim Commerford – Time Slowing Down
3. Dave Grohl, Rami Jaffee, Stevie Nicks, and Taylor Hawkins – You Can’t Fix This
4. Dave Grohl, Nate Mendel, Pat Smear, Rick Springfield, and Taylor Hawkins – The Man That Never Was
4. Alain Johannes, Dave Grohl, Lee Ving, Pat Smear, and Taylor Hawkins –Your Wife Is Calling
6. Corey Taylor, Dave Grohl, Rick Nielsen, and Scott Reeder – From Can to Can’t
7. Alain Johannes, Chris Goss, Dave Grohl, and Joshua Homme – Centipede
8. Alain Johannes, Chris Goss, Dave Grohl, and Joshua Homme – A Trick With No Sleeve
9. Paul McCartney, Dave Grohl, Krist Novoselic, and Pat Smear – Cut Me Some Slack
10. Dave Grohl, Jessy Greene, Jim Keltner, and Rami Jaffee – Once Upon a Time… The End
11. Dave Grohl, Joshua Homme, and Trent Reznor – Mantra

farrellgirl99

#121 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:13 am

can't wait to hear Mantra :rockon:

trent's also working with homme and grohl on the new qotsa record due out early next year. always like when they work together.