bruce springsteen

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.

fan?

yes
27%
no
73%

Total votes: 22

Pandemonium

Re: bruce springsteen

#21 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:46 pm

Artists I respect but do not like their work:

Bob Dylan(!)
Billy Joel
Genesis/Phil Collins (although I do like Peter Gabriel)
Huey Lewis
Oasis
Allman Bros
REM
ELP and most 70's prog-rock bands
The Jam, English Beat and most other early 80's ska

Artists I neither respect or like:
Courtney Love
Ted Nugent
Michael Jackson
Black Eyed Peas (although I think Fergie could be a great rock singer)
Fred Durst/Limp Bizkit, Korn and all that "nu-metal" crap
Bon Jovi, Poison, Winger and most late 80's LA hair metal
Any modern band that has a DJ
Barbara Striesand

Always more but that's off the top of my head....

Hype

#22 Post by Hype » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:53 pm

creep wrote:
clickie wrote:give us some examples..
bruce springsteen
Pink Floyd
About half of Radiohead
A Perfect Circle

I guess there's a lot more, but I can't think of anything off the top of my head (it's been a while since I've listened to anything I respected but also didn't like...)

Also, Pandemonium's dislike of Bob Dylan explains a lot about our disagreements about music/industry, etc.

How can you not like this song?

I mean, I know how you can not like it (you SUCK, that's how!) But that's my point.

SR

#23 Post by SR » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:59 pm

Pandemonium wrote:Artists I respect but do not like their work:

Bob Dylan(!)
Billy Joel
Huey Lewis
Oasis
Allman Bros
REM

Courtney Love
Ted Nugent
Michael Jackson
Barbara Striesand

MJ surprises me

Hype

#24 Post by Hype » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:00 pm

Pandemonium has screwy taste in music... not sure why. :noclue:

Pandemonium

#25 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:01 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:Also, Pandemonium's dislike of Bob Dylan explains a lot about our disagreements about music/industry, etc.

How can you not like this song?

I mean, I know how you can not like it (you SUCK, that's how!) But that's my point.
I actually like a lot of other artists covers of Dylan's songs. As a writer/lyricist, he's unimpeachable. I just can't handle Dylan singing/playing 90% of his own stuff.

Hype

#26 Post by Hype » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:02 pm

:lol: Yeah I get it... I think taste is complex... and most of it isn't chosen.

perkana

#27 Post by perkana » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:49 pm

Pandemonium wrote:Artists I respect but do not like their work:

Bob Dylan(!)
Billy Joel
Huey Lewis
Oasis
Allman Bros
REM

Courtney Love
Ted Nugent
Michael Jackson
Barbara Striesand

I totally agree with you on your second list, but Barbra. I do like her a lot and would love to see her live some day. Wtf with Fergie? :lol:
I liked MJ up until Thriller, totally disliked him after the molestation accusations and I really didn't like his music

Pandemonium

#28 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:41 pm

perkana wrote:Wtf with Fergie? :lol:
I saw The Black Eyed Peas open for U2 a few years ago at Dodger Stadium and it was a totally obnoxious set until Slash came on and they did a cover of Guns n' Roses' Sweet Child Of Mine and she blew me away with her vox on that song.
perkana wrote:I liked MJ up until Thriller, totally disliked him after the molestation accusations and I really didn't like his music
Yeah, the molestation accusations, pay-offs and general freakishness totally killed any respect I had for the guy despite his talent.

Artemis

#29 Post by Artemis » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:43 pm

perkana wrote: I totally agree with you on your second list, but Barbra. I do like her a lot and would love to see her live some day.
I saw Barbra about 6 years ago with Il Divo. Image

She sounds even better live. She also has a great rapport with the audience telling stories.

Il Divo I thought was kind of :gayfight: . They have great voices but they waste it on that popera crap they sing.

Hype

#30 Post by Hype » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:47 pm

general freakishness totally killed any respect I had for the guy despite his talent.
Really? What the hell are you doing as a JA fan?

Pandemonium

#31 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:14 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
general freakishness totally killed any respect I had for the guy despite his talent.
Really? What the hell are you doing as a JA fan?

Perry starts physically morphing his ethnicity and paying off parents of kids he has over for "sleepovers," I'll revisit the subject.

Hype

#32 Post by Hype » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:27 pm

:confused:

Pandemonium

#33 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:16 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote::confused:
One day you will thank me for hooking you up with this band:

Hype

#34 Post by Hype » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:22 am

Pandemonium wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote::confused:
One day you will thank me for hooking you up with this band:

Did I really need to be hooked up with yet another among thousands of Joy Division influenced uncreative bands? :lol:

perkana

#35 Post by perkana » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:50 am

so I guess you are a big MJ fan hyper, I totally respect that, but what does it have to do with being a Jane's fan? And are you going to be one of those people who criticize others for not being fans enough or what? Cause I hate that attitude.

perkana

#36 Post by perkana » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:54 am

Artemis wrote:
perkana wrote: I totally agree with you on your second list, but Barbra. I do like her a lot and would love to see her live some day.
I saw Barbra about 6 years ago with Il Divo. Image

She sounds even better live. She also has a great rapport with the audience telling stories.

Il Divo I thought was kind of :gayfight: . They have great voices but they waste it on that popera crap they sing.
I really like her (big Yentl fan), wanted to see her at Carnegie Hall. Almost went with my sister for her birthday, too bad I didn't have the money

Hype

#37 Post by Hype » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:56 am

perkana wrote:so I guess you are a big MJ fan hyper, I totally respect that, but what does it have to do with being a Jane's fan? And are you going to be one of those people who criticize others for not being fans enough or what? Cause I hate that attitude.
Well, actually, I don't think of myself as a fan of Michael Jackson at all. Like everybody else, I like Thriller (and Bad), and that's about it. I was just bugging Pandemonium.

perkana

#38 Post by perkana » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:00 am

oh ok...I just never liked Bad.

Hype

#39 Post by Hype » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:05 am

perkana wrote:oh ok...I just never liked Bad.

I also found Pandemonium's remarks about MJ's appearance somewhat offensive. Vitiligo is a real disease and I know people who have it. Yeah, he was a freak, but not because of the skin colour change. The surgeries are another thing entirely, but I can imagine if I had vitiligo, and had been seriously burned in a Pepsi commercial, and was a child star, I'd make some fucked up decisions too.

Gah... I'm not even a fan of the guy... but in a thread about Bruce Springsteen... I guess it's come to this. :lol:

perkana

#40 Post by perkana » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:08 am

I think he referred more to him changing his appearance re: nose...Didn't see any skin color reference :noclue:
Haha, how funny life turns out to be sometimes. I do that sometimes (defending something/someone I don't even like that much in the first place)
And he was really fucked up because of being subjected to abuse by his dad. But still, he shouldn't have abused those children either.

sinep

#41 Post by sinep » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:01 am

no joke, if somebody asked me to make a "top ten list of things you find uninteresting" bruce springsteen would be near the top.

Larry B.

#42 Post by Larry B. » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:16 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
perkana wrote:oh ok...I just never liked Bad.
All my flirting in 6th grade was based on this video. I fixed that the following year.

Hype

#43 Post by Hype » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:28 am

perkana wrote:I think he referred more to him changing his appearance re: nose...Didn't see any skin color reference :noclue:
I took that to be at least included in this: "morphing his ethnicity". And I think what he did to his face, while tragic, has nothing to do with what he did or didn't do with kids. Like I said, if you had vitiligo, you might end up doing some fucked up things to try to make yourself look normal again (and fail).

Haha, how funny life turns out to be sometimes. I do that sometimes (defending something/someone I don't even like that much in the first place)
And he was really fucked up because of being subjected to abuse by his dad. But still, he shouldn't have abused those children either.
I think Dave Chappelle's bit on this sums it up:

What I always found fucked up about the whole thing is how many people/handlers Michael must have had around him at almost all times, and how many times these people could have stepped in to stop his more destructive behaviours, but didn't. I believe a fucked up human like MJ has diminished responsibility, and ought to be treated as such.

Pandemonium

#44 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:40 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:I took that to be at least included in this: "morphing his ethnicity". And I think what he did to his face, while tragic, has nothing to do with what he did or didn't do with kids. Like I said, if you had vitiligo, you might end up doing some fucked up things to try to make yourself look normal again (and fail).
His skin color and hair was the least of his physical alterations. He willfully had his face re-sculpted to a more Caucasian appearance to the point his nose basically disintegrated. I guess I should have been more accurate in my description - he wasn't trying to change his ethnicity, he was trying to change his species.

http://anomalies-unlimited.com/Jackson.html
Adurentibus Spina wrote:I believe a fucked up human like MJ has diminished responsibility, and ought to be treated as such.
He lost any pass when he repeatedly took advantage of young boys and paid off equally repulsive parents who put their kids in the position to be abused.

Hype

#45 Post by Hype » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:53 am

Maybe to push this back towards the thread topic... there are a couple of different ways the original question could be answered.

Pandemonium's lack of "respect" for Michael Jackson seems to be in terms of 'respect as a human being'... sort of like...not respecting Hitler's paintings. And that is supposed to be separate from the question of whether you like the art.

But I think this is muddled. Maybe some people tie art and morality together in this way (Pandemonium seems to), but I don't think this is a very clear way of talking about art. E.g., Wagner was a raging anti-semite, but I love quite a lot of his music, artistically speaking.
Wilde, Preface to The Picture of Dorian Gray wrote:The artist is the creator of beautiful things. To reveal art and conceal the artist is art's aim. The critic is he who can translate into another manner or a new material his impression of beautiful things.
The highest as the lowest form of criticism is a mode of autobiography. Those who find ugly meanings in beautiful things are corrupt without being charming. This is a fault.

Those who find beautiful meanings in beautiful things are the cultivated. For these there is hope. They are the elect to whom beautiful things mean only beauty.

There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all.
In Bruce Springsteen's case, I respect what he does because I think it's well executed. I don't like it because... taste.