working musicians?

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
nausearockpig

working musicians?

#1 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:04 pm

Is anyone here a full-time musician? Session or band member?

I don't mean where you work in an office or cafe and play in a band that "is gonna be huge one day..." or "just for fun"....

I know CaseyContrarian records and puts out lots of music and I've seen a few others who have bits going on.

I may have asked this before here or on xiola - forgive me if this is the case..

I'm curious to know what sort of lifestyle these people have, what they do in "off times", what bands they are in. How much money they put in, and how much they make (though I doubt a lot of people would be keen to reveal this)... shit like that...

clickie

Re: working musicians?

#2 Post by clickie » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:02 pm

hell yeah dude i play bass and we play pretty much every weekend..thats how i earn a living...

clickie

#3 Post by clickie » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:10 pm

in my off time i gamble on sports....true story.. :rockon:

Matz

#4 Post by Matz » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:16 pm

there are quite a few musicians here buy no one does it for a living I'm sure. The only one would be Pete I guess, if he's even able to make a living doing music nowadays :noclue:

And perhaps the mystery English musician I've been trying to track down who used to be on Xiola :banghead: but probably not

clickie

#5 Post by clickie » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:20 pm

oh yeah petes on a whole nother level.

nausearockpig

#6 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:24 pm

clickie wrote:hell yeah dude i play bass and we play pretty much every weekend..thats how i earn a living...
That's cool. Do you tour near and far?

What's the band called?

I'd be keen to understand how Pete goes about his days, playing here and there, doing this and that. I know he's written a (or some) scores. that must pay ok i guess..

I just wonder how artists survive..

Juana

#7 Post by Juana » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:31 pm

I do not do it for a living but I do have bands playing at the bars all the time so I'm involved and we just took over payments for someones studio that declared bankruptcy and letting the dude run it still we just own it now. I know a few of the Austin area people personally and basically the ones that have "made it" live pretty alright but by no means in the Metallica or Bono level but they have nice places and do not want for much.

clickie

#8 Post by clickie » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:32 pm

its an easy life....i'm making awesome money...we dont tour, just local shows..once in a while maybe something like an hour away.

nausearockpig

#9 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:36 pm

clickie wrote:its an easy life....i'm making awesome money...we dont tour, just local shows..once in a while maybe something like an hour away.
originals or covers?

clickie

#10 Post by clickie » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:38 pm

so what do u play nausea?

nausearockpig

#11 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:47 pm

clickie wrote:so what do u play nausea?
I don't play shit at the moment other than in our spare room. :balls:

I've got some studio time booked next month where I'll start recording the 18 songs I have at the moment that are ready to go and have them ready in two states: 1) a CD ready bunch of songs and 2) a bunch of songs with one guitar and the main vox mixed out so I can play along to them from my computer in a gigging environment.

Then I plan to play some gigs, get a huge following, quit my job and make it in the big-time. Yeah I know I'm dreaming but you gotta try right?

At the moment I only have the one day booked (10 hours). I know I won't get it all down in a day (18 songs is highly ambitious, I know) but when I get a bit more spare cash, i"ll book another couple of days to finish them all.

I've been doing nothing with these ideas for 15 years so I really think it's time to pull my finger out and do something..

I play guitars, bass, keys. I can't play drums but have a drum machine programmed and I do the vox.

clickie

#12 Post by clickie » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:53 pm

Matz wrote:
And perhaps the mystery English musician I've been trying to track down who used to be on Xiola :banghead: but probably not
That little limey bastard!

Essence_Smith

#13 Post by Essence_Smith » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:33 pm

I have been a performing musician for about 20 years now, but only made 100% of my income that way for close to a year...this was in 2008-09 and I did one national tour...if I was a single guy and didn't have a family I'd have been somewhat ok...I had enough to eat and pay a few bills but there wasn't a lot left over after that...definitely not what I would consider a good way to make a living...unless you're under a contract that guarantees a certain amount a night, the paydays are up and down...lots of shady people, etc and the environments you're in and all that... :no:

All that being said I would not discourage anyone from trying to make a living with music...it can be a lot of fun and I don't regret going after my dreams, etc...but if you're serious about it... don't expect to have a lot of money... :lol:

nausearockpig

#14 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:43 pm

yeah I'm guessing that my dream of not having to go to work every day will remain a dream...

Mescal

#15 Post by Mescal » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:09 pm

Matz wrote:there are quite a few musicians here buy no one does it for a living I'm sure. The only one would be Pete I guess, if he's even able to make a living doing music nowadays :noclue:

I think I know who you mean.

Didn't he used to post at Alien On Acid?

creep
Site Admin

#16 Post by creep » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:21 pm

Mescal wrote:
Matz wrote:there are quite a few musicians here buy no one does it for a living I'm sure. The only one would be Pete I guess, if he's even able to make a living doing music nowadays :noclue:

are you talking about that willd guy? i think he might be a fulltime musician.

MYXYLPLYX

#17 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:50 pm

I make a living working full time for musicians... I don't suppose that's what you're looking for though, is it? :hs: :noclue:

nausearockpig

#18 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:55 pm

MYXYLPLYX wrote:I make a living working full time for musicians... I don't suppose that's what you're looking for though, is it? :hs: :noclue:
it's probably the next best thing. You'd know about what their working lives are like and stuff right?

Juana

#19 Post by Juana » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:00 pm

creep wrote:
Mescal wrote:

Will is a producer, and I believe he plays bass in his band as well, I talk to him every now and then on FB.

nausearockpig

#20 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:02 pm

Juana wrote:
creep wrote:
Mescal wrote:

Will is a producer, and I believe he plays bass in his band as well, I talk to him every now and then on FB.
hahah i thought his handle was "wiiild" as in "very wild" or something.. 0 points for paying attention...

clickie

#21 Post by clickie » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:00 am

nausearockpig wrote:
clickie wrote:hell yeah dude i play bass and we play pretty much every weekend..thats how i earn a living...

What's the band called?

I'd be keen to understand how Pete goes about his days, playing here and there, doing this and that. I know he's written a (or some) scores. that must pay ok i guess..

we call ourseves The Miggys dont laugh i dont know how we came up with that name.

nausearockpig

#22 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:29 pm

clickie wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:

What's the band called?

we call ourseves The Miggys dont laugh i dont know how we came up with that name.
a name's a name.. look at TOOL.... :lol:

Matz

#23 Post by Matz » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:25 pm

how long has tool been slang for moron/idiot? Would be pretty funny if it didn't have that double meaning when the band started and then five years later it had...bummer

nausearockpig

#24 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:31 pm

Matz wrote:how long has tool been slang for moron/idiot? Would be pretty funny if it didn't have that double meaning when the band started and then five years later it had...bummer
it's also slang for penis.. which they played on with their demo tape cover..

perkana

#25 Post by perkana » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:06 pm

I didn't know you played bass...
Btw, I don't play shit but I know someone who does it professionally but doesn't post much on here.