Van Halen

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Bandit72

Van Halen

#1 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:23 am

I'm not a huge fan, but I do like a lot of their stuff. I did enjoy these interviews though. Sorry if these have been posted before.

I can never tell if Dave is just a naturally happy person or he's just a bit nuts. Anyone know?

Matz

Re: Van Halen

#2 Post by Matz » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:46 am

I'd say he's probably both

Pandemonium

#3 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:43 am

Heh, two Van Halen threads. KV is gonna go nuclear.

Dave is a increasingly weird, goofy fucker. As a kid, he had a lot of ADHD issues and it shows. I often wonder if he's developing some other medical problem because if you watch him during these interviews, his hands seem to lack some motor control when he gets excited. I really recommend reading his book "Crazy From The Heat" that came out around '98. Dave really unloads on (at the time former) bandmate Eddie Van Halen calling him something like "a shitty human being without a guitar strapped on."

Bandit72

#4 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:42 pm

Pandemonium wrote:Heh, two Van Halen threads. KV is gonna go nuclear.

Dave is a increasingly weird, goofy fucker. As a kid, he had a lot of ADHD issues and it shows. I often wonder if he's developing some other medical problem because if you watch him during these interviews, his hands seem to lack some motor control when he gets excited. I really recommend reading his book "Crazy From The Heat" that came out around '98. Dave really unloads on (at the time former) bandmate Eddie Van Halen calling him something like "a shitty human being without a guitar strapped on."
Superb, I'll read that. Didn't realise he had a book out. I guess him and Eddie made up or is all this 'camera talk'? Might be a stupid question (but it might not be) but was he an 80's coke head? Or a clean (ish) rocker? Aside from his ADHD, he seems like one of those naturally egotistical guys. I really don't know much of Van Halen's history apart from the music. I will say though I actually prefer his solo stuff with Vai, Sheehan and Bissonette.

Matz

#5 Post by Matz » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:48 pm

yeah that Skyscraper album or whatever it's called he did with Vai is pretty cool. Vai's playing is really good

Pandemonium

#6 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:02 pm

Matz wrote:yeah that Skyscraper album or whatever it's called he did with Vai is pretty cool. Vai's playing is really good
Roth's first full solo album after he left Van Halen "Eat 'Em And Smile" is mostly excellent aside from a couple cheesy covers ("I'm Easy" and "That's Life"). I saw them live just before Christmas '86 that tour and they completely blew away the Sammy Hagar/VH show I saw earlier that year and in fact, it was even better then the VH 1984 tour I saw. Vai and Sheehan together = widdly-diddly guitar/bass heaven. You could tell Roth felt he had something to prove leaving Van Halen and the whole set was like a big "Fuck You" to his former band. It was exactly the same kind of vibe as when Ozzy left Black Sabbath and hooked up with Randy Rhoads.

Roth's second solo album, "Skyscraper" has a few good songs ("Hina," "Damn Good Times," "Just Like Paradise") but was a big step down in overall quality and suffered from increasingly cheeseball keyboards. By the time they toured on that album in mid '88, Sheehan had left the band and the overall show just didn't have the "Holy Shit" factor the EEAS tour did.

Bandit72

#7 Post by Bandit72 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:09 am

Pandemonium wrote:
Matz wrote:yeah that Skyscraper album or whatever it's called he did with Vai is pretty cool. Vai's playing is really good
Roth's first full solo album after he left Van Halen "Eat 'Em And Smile" is mostly excellent aside from a couple cheesy covers ("I'm Easy" and "That's Life"). I saw them live just before Christmas '86 that tour and they completely blew away the Sammy Hagar/VH show I saw earlier that year and in fact, it was even better then the VH 1984 tour I saw. Vai and Sheehan together = widdly-diddly guitar/bass heaven. You could tell Roth felt he had something to prove leaving Van Halen and the whole set was like a big "Fuck You" to his former band. It was exactly the same kind of vibe as when Ozzy left Black Sabbath and hooked up with Randy Rhoads.

Roth's second solo album, "Skyscraper" has a few good songs ("Hina," "Damn Good Times," "Just Like Paradise") but was a big step down in overall quality and suffered from increasingly cheeseball keyboards. By the time they toured on that album in mid '88, Sheehan had left the band and the overall show just didn't have the "Holy Shit" factor the EEAS tour did.
Knucklebones is my favourite from Skyscraper. Wish I could have seen that set up live :neutral:

Pandemonium

#8 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:54 am

Bandit72 wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:

Knucklebones is my favourite from Skyscraper. Wish I could have seen that set up live :neutral:

One of the high points of the Skyscraper tour was the acoustic segment in the middle of the set where they played a cover or two and did this big drum-off on steel drums at the front of the stage.

lollapaloser

#9 Post by lollapaloser » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:25 pm

DLR did a stint in Boston on radio on WZLX. It had its moments, but it was really weird, it was mostly him just talking the whole time. He's such a total freak that it kinda sucked you in for a while.

Pandemonium

#10 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:47 am

lollapaloser wrote:DLR did a stint in Boston on radio on WZLX. It had its moments, but it was really weird, it was mostly him just talking the whole time. He's such a total freak that it kinda sucked you in for a while.
I downloaded a few shows when he was DJ'ing and found most of it to be almost unlistenable. It really reminded me of the mid 80's when I'd be stuck on a long car ride or party with a friend jacked up on coke.

Matz

#11 Post by Matz » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:58 pm

I'd love to hear one of the shows from when he took over from Howard Stern at WNBC (I think it was). But they're probably not online

kv

#12 Post by kv » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:57 am

horribad he had a made audience looking for a new show after stern was gone and he tanked...wasn't wnbc it was when stern moved to sirius sat radio

creep
Site Admin

#13 Post by creep » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:33 am

Matz wrote:I'd love to hear one of the shows from when he took over from Howard Stern at WNBC (I think it was). But they're probably not online

Matz

#14 Post by Matz » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:08 am

that really is horrible. I'll bet the woman with him in the studio zoned out after 20 seconds of that like I did

LJF

#15 Post by LJF » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:13 am

back in the mid 90s I was at a strip club in NYC and they started playing hot for teacher then everyone started cheering. I turned around and there was diamond dave with a table full of strippers, he stood up took a shot and went back to the ladies.